FedEx Freight | Driver Facing Cameras

The point that you guys seem to have lost here is that there's an understandable lack of trust that a big corporation will do what's good for their employees.

On the flip side of that, big corporations are very, very legally driven. Mostly they want to protect themselves as much as possible.

Regardless of whether or not you trust the company or believe the company should be trusted, the key here is understanding how this relationship works and using it to your advantage. In this case, outward facing cameras are not going anywhere. They're a defense mechanism first and foremost, offering previously impossible protection against the stupidity of non-professional drivers. YES, they can be used to punish you if there is nothing stopping it from happening, but in the case of an outward facing camera you'd have to be doing something pretty seriously wrong (following too close, for example) for them to actually have a reason to.

As for inward facing cameras, there are lawyers out there who have made it known that if these cameras exist, they will be obtaining the footage as evidence in the event of an incident. If you get cut off with a coffee in your hand and hit something, a camera would show it, and the prosecuting lawyer would argue that you were distracted and unable to respond appropriately. This is not a protective device, it is a legal liability. Combined with increasingly desperate measures for driver retention, most companies that had inward facing cameras have disabled them. In fact, Con-way/XPO is the only one I can think of offhand that hasn't given that up yet.

Trust the company, or don't. But you can count on one thing, and that is that the company will cover it's own butt where legal liability is concerned. In some cases, you won't like it. But in other cases it benefits you. The key is knowing the difference, and expecting it.

You just proved mine you can't fix stupid!!!!! :hilarious:
Speaking of stupid....I find it ironic/stupid that you respect and trust the IBT...an organization that's known for coruption, shady back room deals, and provides you with nothing, but you have no respect or trust for the very company that provides you with a paycheck every week!! :idunno:

Speaking of stupid....I find it ironic/stupid that you respect and trust the IBT...an organization that's known for coruption, shady back room deals, and provides you with nothing, but you have no respect or trust for the very company that provides you with a paycheck every week!! :idunno:

Someone that can negotiate for better pay, insurance, and retirement not to mention set in stone work rules that can't change with a stroke of a keyboard is far from nothing. I support who ever can help me and my family more. When this company starts changing things that really matter i will be all ears but until then my stance won't change.

When a driver has called and told me that he had been called in to the office for "multiple safety violations" after the first night of this system being in his truck, I think we have a LOT to worry about here.
Sounds to me that driver wasn't as safe as he thought he was according to the company/camera. We all have a little aggression in us that we have to be curbed once the cameras are installed.

When a large majority of drivers smoke in the truck, use their phones (hands or handsfree) and just overall slip up on following the mountains of policies and procedures to a "T". We're all screwed, you are not an exception to the rule....even when you believe yourself to be.

When a large majority of drivers smoke in the truck, use their phones (hands or handsfree) and just overall slip up on following the mountains of policies and procedures to a "T". We're all screwed, you are not an exception to the rule....even when you believe yourself to be.
Never claimed to be...and unless you were doing any of those things while sitting on the hood, that FORWARD FACING CAMERA wouldn't see you!!

There's a camera on the tablet....that works...and is watched by management??
You sound paranoid!!

And you sound like someone that looks at the sky while driving. If there is a camera on the tablet and you think they are not going to turn it on your more gullible than I thought. They didn't pay for it not to use it.

Do you have proof of this accusation or just more fear mongering/scare tactics??

Has nothing to do with fear mongering/scare tactics. It's common sense they payed for a camera that faces the driver they will eventually turn them on. You honestly think they payed for that camera to be placed on 15000 tractors and they aren't going to use it? I will go with what our CEO said over your gibberish any day.

Has nothing to do with fear mongering/scare tactics. It's common sense they payed for a camera that faces the driver they will eventually turn them on. You honestly think they payed for that camera to be placed on 15000 tractors and they aren't going to use it? I will go with what our CEO said over your gibberish any day.
I'm saying they paid for the tablet, if it came with a camera, so be it. Most of the companies I know of who use Peoplenet AND have a driver facing camera don't use the camera on the tablet, but rather a camera that's mounted somewhere in the cab that's tied into the system with the forward facing camera. You do realize more cameras can be tied into that forward facing camera system?? Perhaps a side camera or even a rear facing camera one day, who knows??

A driver with a tablet in his truck did mention that the tablet is not in a fixed position and you can turn it away to face the other way if you want.

Put a towel over them,too much light at night,, how many here know drivers that don't talk on a blue parrot or drink water,tea or soda? Not many,I know None ✌️