XPO | fired thread

Gosh we have enough problems trying to take care of a small part of the domestic customers, if they tried to take care of customers overseas, I don't know what I would do?....maybe hide under my bed until the dust settled. IMO, and yes I am just a dumb truck driver, they are going to try and cut into the UPS and FEDEX monopoly on smaller deliveries, you know the single package and less than a pallet type deliveries. That could be a good thing for the company but not be so great for drivers. I have worked before for companies that tried to get into that freight that is purchased on the internet and mostly delivers to residential, and all I have to say is "what a pain in the butt". I could be way off base but that is just my humble dumb truck driver opinion. .
You hit the nail on the head. All that Amazon, build.com & buildirect crap is a UUUUUUGE pain in the butt!! Try getting a 10-foot crate that's too long for your pallet jack to scoop up off onto a liftgate and to the ground. Fun times!

You hit the nail on the head. All that Amazon, build.com & buildirect crap is a UUUUUUGE pain in the butt!! Try getting a 10-foot crate that's too long for your pallet jack to scoop up off onto a liftgate and to the ground. Fun times!
Yeah, some of these shippers think our liftgates are magical devices that will unload anything they request it for. Those over length deliveries that require liftgate service are some real bull:::shit:::!

On a side note, I really hope none of our drivers get laid off. I know he said he wasn't going to do that, but with Estes laying off, and YRC may or may not have laid drivers off.. It's kind of concerning.

Personally, I would be alright with getting laid off. I'd go back to school while earning unemployment. I'm not sure how it would work out if I started school and then they wanted to call me back whether unemployment would keep going or get reduced or what. I'd make it though.

I know we all want the big wig's to be let go and get what they deserve, etc. I think many of them knew this was coming anyways, but I'm sure someone out there who will or has gotten laid off that didn't expect it and isn't a big wig and is more on the level of you and I. It's holiday season, Thanksgiving coming very soon and then Christmas, and New Years, and not to mention its winter and heat isn't cheap.

The one saving grace for some, maybe, is that a lot of retail stores are hiring for holiday help.

Remember, these people who a lot of you say we don't need, are just like you and me. They have families, bills and house payments to make. To lose your job is awful, but to lose it this time of year, has got to be very hard on a man/woman and their families.
Exactly right. Also remember that many of these people worked their way up, which meant relocating their families to another town and/or state. A lot of these people found themselves without a job a long way from their home town.

First I have heard of Estes laying off. We are hiring 3 at our barn. Two of which are going to be Xtra board.
Several large TL companies are cutting back on their fleets, all ltl are cinching up their belts. Overtime is at .5 percent right now at my barn.

Several large TL companies are cutting back on their fleets, all ltl are cinching up their belts. Overtime is at .5 percent right now at my barn.
What are the OT laws up north?

What are the OT laws up north?
We can work 9 hrs a day on reg time. OT must be paid after 9 hours daily. Cannot accumulate for the week. OT must be paid on all hours worked after 60 hours.

Now, does every company follow the law? Of course not. Conway didn't either till several lawsuits were filed. Now everything is above board.

Holland needs about a thousand driver and can't find any takers

I know guys that left Central for Holland and did not last but a few months before moving on again. Said it was run worse than Central. I just stood there. Didn't even know what to say.

I always hate to see anyone lose their jobs, but Portland IT was an easy cut.

I don't know if the physical separation from Ann Arbor and the Service Centers was the culprit, but they were always totally out of touch with reality. Hopefully bringing this work in-house with closer supervision will result in better outcomes for the company.

I don't know if the physical separation from Ann Arbor and the Service Centers was the culprit, but they were always totally out of touch with reality. Hopefully bringing this work in-house with closer supervision will result in better outcomes for the company.

We can work 9 hrs a day on reg time. OT must be paid after 9 hours daily. Cannot accumulate for the week. OT must be paid on all hours worked after 60 hours.

Now, does every company follow the law? Of course not. Conway didn't either till several lawsuits were filed. Now everything is above board.
Pretty sad that lawsuits have to be filed just to keep companies on the law-abiding side of things. It's amazing to me what great lengths some companies go to to screw their employees.

Upper-management out of touch? Say it isn't so! (Sarcasm intended).

I seen a post that said freight was going up 30% with the new owners, how much freight do they anticipate losing with a lot of the sales staff resigning or let go?

A lot of it will be internal, XPO is a huge freight brokerage. They have the freight and are doling it out all around the industry, the best paying stuff will probably remain in-house now.