FedEx Freight | Gardena CA on strike, walkout!

You have no idea who I know and who I talk to...like I've told you before, the anti-union machine made up of FedEx Freight employees from across the country is a very large organization in itself, you'd be surprised at who I know and talk to!!
You do realize that there's cameras everywhere these days don't you??

Proud of being a snitch against fellow workers...smdh Guys like this live on their knees their entire lives. The only thing this type of coward can teach you is "how not to upset the boss man".The reason this fool earns a decent living is because the Teamsters set the standard for wages and benefits=You're welcome Snitchboy! Let's get real...Without the Teamsters, you boys are at the mercy of some manager who will never like you no matter what, and will do whatever it takes to make your life miserable and eventually get rid of you. Is this the type of workplace you want to go to everyday, where some jerk can push you around and you have to take it...smh Management has a corporation behind them, those of you who want to join the Teamster Brotherhood should also have an army to back you.

More Teamsters=More Bargaining Power

this is where you are sadly mistaken,They are striking because,but not limited too,fedex denying their right to organize.They are planning/willing to strike AGAIN during the busy holiday season,if fedex dont reconize the union.They must have enough yes voters in that yard to go union,but fedex aint having it..I know this info 1st hand,as a dues paying teamster in SO CAL.hence the handle SCALGRASSHOPPER
I'll have to agree with JD on this one, there's nothing stopping them from organizing!! Get the proper amount of cards signed that's required, have your election, and let the chips fall where they may....it's not rocket science!!
Their problem is the FACT that they can't get enough cards signed due to lack of support and I'm guessing Monday's little "show" did little to help their cause!! If they had the support a petition would've been filed long ago...and I'm also guessing that with you being a dues paying member, you knew this as well.

You are correct Red, many of the same people (from the AF days) are still a big part of leadership, but the culture did change. After the purchase, it seems they were "encouraged" to conform to a culture (real or imagined) that valued efficiency above all else. Reward (and punishment) was solely based on the sacred number. Success was (and still is) measured by the ability to continually beat previous accomplishments.

Being VERY good at what they do (and to keep their job), these folks gave FDX ever increasing profits, for the most part, even through challenging economic conditions. Many of these efficiencies were well thought out. Slip seating tractors, higher load factors, keeping equip in service for longer times, for example, saved huge sums. Others, like pushing labor to higher levels of productivity, while reducing (or stagnating) compensation, came at a cost, over time. As these areas are pushed more, the term "diminishing returns" comes to mind.

Bottom line: Much easier and less costly to maintain a positive culture that to regain it once it is lost.
Huh....everything you mentioned in the second paragraph we were already doing as AF back in the 90's...slip seating trucks, higher load factors, longer service times for equipment..... We've always been about efficiency since the day I started at AF, that's what has always set us apart from the rest of the pack!! Now that we're FXFE, we still thrive on that same efficiency that we enjoyed as AF!! We've always enjoyed ever increasing profits since our days as AF til now and it has always been our efficiency that's provided for those profits, even in the challenging years when the economy tanked....unlike many companies, we still turned a profit. Reward has always been based on the "sacred number" and success has always been measured by the same critieria...that's business 101. Yes, we've had some "diminishing returns" but so has everyone else in our industry...even those who are "U" have taken concessions in order to survive.

Bottom line: we still operate as AF did, the only thing that has changed is the name on the door.

One more thing Red,

I would say, the case could be made that most of FedEx Freight problems over the past years COULD be due to their straying too far from the (AF) founding principals. Yes, conditions/environments change, but they don't have to effect the working relationship, and should NEVER effect your basic guiding principals, IMHO. Let's not forget that Sheridan wanted to create "a company in which there was no conflict between labor and management". Viking and Watkins were founded on very similar philosophy.

Over time, under FDX rule, the focus changed evolved from this:

The six original guiding principles:

1. Take care of our people.
2. Take care of our customers.
3. Honor our commitments.
4. Work hard, smart, and safely—and
work together.
5. Make the most of resources.
6. Have fun.

To this (IMHO)

1. Make the most of resources.
2.Work hard, smart.
4.Take care of our customers
5.Take care of our people.

To a combination of this:

“Purple Promise” to make every FedEx experience outstanding.

And

1. People
2. Service
3. Profit

There remains an ongoing internal conflict (on the Freight side) between 1 (People) and 3 (Profit), often at the expense of 2 (Service).
One more thing Swamp,

Ill contend that FXFE's problems could stem NOT from straying to far away from AF's business principals, but form something entirely different.
I'll agree that the three companies were probably founded on the principals that you provided...but to a variation. I can't speak for Viking but I can for Watkins since I did spend time there in my earlier days working the dock. Yes, it was a good company to work for but it was more laid back, and so were their wages/bennies. Yes, they were efficient but not to the level as AF/FXFE and it reflected in their wages/bennies that weren't to the level as AF/FXFE's either.
IMO, the problem lies within the different cultures being merged into one...let me explain. As previously stated, eventhough Viking was purchased first by FedEx, once AF was purchased the two companies remained separate in order to bring each other up to speed on our cultures, then we merged and we (AF) became the flagship. With the purchase of Watkins, things worked the same...we operated separately in order to bring them up to speed with our culture but they failed to adapt which was evident when the merger took place. They enjoyed the increase in wages/bennies that came along but didn't enjoy the increased efficiency that produced those wages/bennies...it was obvious that they were lagging behind with our "culture".

It was this conflict in cultures that have led us where we are today...IMHO.

Proud of being a snitch against fellow workers...smdh Guys like this live on their knees their entire lives. The only thing this type of coward can teach you is "how not to upset the boss man".The reason this fool earns a decent living is because the Teamsters set the standard for wages and benefits=You're welcome Snitchboy! Let's get real...Without the Teamsters, you boys are at the mercy of some manager who will never like you no matter what, and will do whatever it takes to make your life miserable and eventually get rid of you. Is this the type of workplace you want to go to everyday, where some jerk can push you around and you have to take it...smh Management has a corporation behind them, those of you who want to join the Teamster Brotherhood should also have an army to back you.

More Teamsters=More Bargaining Power
Welcome to our forum....keep up the good work, you're helping our cause more than you could ever imagine!!

Huh....everything you mentioned in the second paragraph we were already doing as AF back in the 90's...slip seating trucks, higher load factors, longer service times for equipment..... We've always been about efficiency since the day I started at AF, that's what has always set us apart from the rest of the pack!! Now that we're FXFE, we still thrive on that same efficiency that we enjoyed as AF!! We've always enjoyed ever increasing profits since our days as AF til now and it has always been our efficiency that's provided for those profits, even in the challenging years when the economy tanked....unlike many companies, we still turned a profit. Reward has always been based on the "sacred number" and success has always been measured by the same critieria...that's business 101. Yes, we've had some "diminishing returns" but so has everyone else in our industry...even those who are "U" have taken concessions in order to survive.

Bottom line: we still operate as AF did, the only thing that has changed is the name on the door.
Not quite right Redrecer... Elements of truth but misleading.

Your CLT location may have slip seated some due to the nature of the hub operation. My location, and many others had city units and road units. Most road units sat all day, while most city units sat all night. That scenario went away, for the most part since it made sense to re-class units road and slip seat as a rule rather than the exception. Also, I recall trucks being turned in after 500k miles, way back in the Arkansas Freightways days. Now, we run the wheels off,then we buy new wheels. I know, I'm exaggerating, but only a little, and I didn't say it wasn't wise. It's probably highly cost effective.

Load factors have gone through the roof Red, under FDX. Decking helped this, but then "bills per hour" began to trump "damage free" in terms of focus. This remains a conflict, even today. We stack when we shouldn't, even when decking is available. Why? In order to meet goals, some cut corners... Why? Because they feel like they MUST, or else.

On to efficiency... Obviously efficiency has always been a concern, and effort has always gone into constant improvement. What has changed is the degree to which some are willing to go, in order to achieve continual (and sometimes minimal) gains. You may not see all of this from the cab of a road unit, but I can assure you the differences between 2002 and 2015 are a story of contrasts, as well as differing and alternate priorities. The concerns are all the same, but the order of priorities have changed. The qualities willing to be sacrificed, for efficiency have also changed. A lot depends on what is the flavor of the day.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a good company to work for but it was more laid back, and so were their wages/bennies. Yes, they were efficient but not to the level as AF/FXFE and it reflected in their wages/bennies that weren't to the level as AF/FXFE's either.

Not to nitpick but Watkins had a different focus. Different target freight demographic. They were very good and successful at what they did.

Also, on wages, FedEx National (former Watkins) had to hold off on increases, in order to be brought in line with FedEx Freight. True story.

Also, the "conflict in cultures" that you mention, had nothing to do the with the cause of stagnant wages, GPD issues, Scorecard issues, insurance value reductions, nor wildly varying degrees of professionalism (or lack thereof), in the workplace.

Last edited:
Enlighten me, how is Fedex "denying their right to organize"? They don't need Fedex's permission to organize, the need 50% yes votes period. As far as Fedex recognizing the union, there is no union to recognize until there is a yes vote (then good luck). I don't care what your "handle" is, your mistaken.
even if the wokers got 100% yes votes,it would only mean they have the votes,it does NOT mean the yard just becomes union,the union reps and fedex reps must sit down and draw up a MOU,R&R a contract,whatever you want to call it,Then it must be ratified,so they MUST have enough yes vote,to pull a wildcat strike,and fedex is saying so what,we dont care..

my point is the only thing that has really changed is the name on the door. We are basically still AF IMO, let me explain....

But Red, back in this thread http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/th...ote-in-a-union-at-fedex-freight.59771/page-34 YOU said:

Let's not also forget we're no longer AF, we're FedEx. Those six guiding principals have sadly been replaced by the Purple Promise.

Apparently we "evolve"...

That was fun, we'll play again another time... :smilie93c peelout:

EDIT: We can talk (again) about exactly what HAS changed, but we'll have to do that at another time, as well. That is history. What is most important and relevant is how to influence things going forward.

even if the wokers got 100% yes votes,it would only mean they have the votes,it does NOT mean the yard just becomes union,the union reps and fedex reps must sit down and draw up a MOU,R&R a contract,whatever you want to call it,Then it must be ratified,so they MUST have enough yes vote,to pull a wildcat strike,and fedex is saying so what,we dont care..
Wrong again....the NLRB covers anybody regardless of whether you're union or not...you don't have to be a union member/company to what they did, however, they must adhere to the guidelines set forth by the NLRB in order to recieve protection from retaliation from the company, if those guidelines aren't met or are broken by "serious misconduct", which is outlined by the NLRB, then all protection is lost and those employees are on their own!! Perhaps the other thugs that were in attendance should have paid attention to these guidelines since their actions also represent the few employees that participated. Also, their "show" wasn't considered a "wildcat strike" since that is something done by union members without consent of union leadership...GAR hasn't had an election, nor has an election been certified by the NLRB and the company, therefor they're nothing more than "at will" employees protesting on their own....not a very smart idea IMO!!

Not quite right Redrecer... Elements of truth but misleading.

Your CLT location may have slip seated some due to the nature of the hub operation. My location, and many others had city units and road units. Most road units sat all day, while most city units sat all night. That scenario went away, for the most part since it made sense to re-class units road and slip seat as a rule rather than the exception. Also, I recall trucks being turned in after 500k miles, way back in the Arkansas Freightways days. Now, we run the wheels off,then we buy new wheels. I know, I'm exaggerating, but only a little, and I didn't say it wasn't wise. It's probably highly cost effective.

Load factors have gone through the roof Red, under FDX. Decking helped this, but then "bills per hour" began to trump "damage free" in terms of focus. This remains a conflict, even today. We stack when we shouldn't, even when decking is available. Why? In order to meet goals, some cut corners... Why? Because they feel like they MUST, or else.

On to efficiency... Obviously efficiency has always been a concern, and effort has always gone into constant improvement. What has changed is the degree to which some are willing to go, in order to achieve continual (and sometimes minimal) gains. You may not see all of this from the cab of a road unit, but I can assure you the differences between 2002 and 2015 are a story of contrasts, as well as differing and alternate priorities. The concerns are all the same, but the order of priorities have changed. The qualities willing to be sacrificed, for efficiency have also changed. A lot depends on what is the flavor of the day.
True, when you're at a satellite center, or EOL center, slip-seats are less of an issue but at the hubs almost all road tractors are slip-seated with other road drivers while the city drives their own trucks...in the case where they're aren't enough city trucks, they then drive road tractors...it's always been this way since the change of operations when the road drivers quit running "the system" back in the AF days. Our city trucks have always sat idle overnight....and still do to this day.

Load factors have always been as high as possible, we've utilized decking at the hubs shortly after I started back in the mid 90's and load factor has always been an issue. Perhaps you weren't privy to what occurred at the hubs from the confines of your comfy city cab at a satellite center but I can assure you from 1995-2000 bills per hour, damages/claims, load factors, etc..., was all data that was collected and we were held accountable to, maybe not to the extent that it is today but is was present.

Efficiency has always been a battle, and always will be, and it's also one of the reason we are where we are today. We'll always have guys "cutting corners" regardless of the situation or policies, that's just human nature.

Not to nitpick but Watkins had a different focus. Different target freight demographic. They were very good and successful at what they did.

Also, on wages, FedEx National (former Watkins) had to hold off on increases, in order to be brought in line with FedEx Freight. True story.

Also, the "conflict in cultures" that you mention, had nothing to do the with the cause of stagnant wages, GPD issues, Scorecard issues, insurance value reductions, nor wildly varying degrees of professionalism (or lack thereof), in the workplace.
Not nitpicking either but we can argue all day as to the reason for the purchase of Watkins....notice we're not in the long haul LTL business.

As for wages, this can be attributed to the different geographical regions just as ours....some of their centers made less and enjoyed a wage increase after their purchase/merger...just like us, it depends on their location.

Conflicts in culture has everything to do with it IMO, it was their laid back culture that didn't adapt to ours that brought forth the conflicts with the issues you mentioned. You do realize that those same former Watkins employees tried unsuccessfully to organize while they were with Watkins/National before and after the purchase with no avail due to lack of support?? Or the fact that this movement started at NHS, a former Watkin's center ran by former Watkin's employees?? Only after the merger did they find success at a few centers with the addition of a few of "Freight's" disgruntled employees.

Last edited:
But Red, back in this thread http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/th...ote-in-a-union-at-fedex-freight.59771/page-34 YOU said:

Apparently we "evolve"...

That was fun, we'll play again another time... :smilie93c peelout:

EDIT: We can talk (again) about exactly what HAS changed, but we'll have to do that at another time, as well. That is history. What is most important and relevant is how to influence things going forward.
And I still stand by that statement, AF, Viking, and Watkins are all dead and our principals have been replaced by the Purple Promise...but that doesn't negate the fact that most of the business decision made since, and leading up to today, are made by former AF guys!!

EDIT: I agree

The holiday season is a pretty slow time for the Freight division, unless you ask the media then we are delivering packages really late in the day. :D

roog

I'm not insinuating anything. I'm coming right out and saying it. The company has said it too, via their representatives. They went overboard and are said to be making an attempt to regain some of the culture that was lost.

Without the three companies that would become FXFE, there could be little or no union effort due to the Railway labor Act that governs FedEx Express, making any effort there extremely difficult. Ground is made up of independent Contractors.

I have zero doubt that AF, Watkins, and Viking would have maintained their deeply ingrained culture. Their CORE PRINCIPALS that made representation unwarranted, and unwanted, would have continued, IMHO. That is history. We can't dwell on that. FedEx has it's own core principals, that we have to adapt to, deal with, and influence where/when we can.

FedEx is not a terrible company, but their focus and priorities differ from those of the original three. Unless and until that focus can truly return to a significant degree, and with CONSISTENCY throughout the system, there will be this ongoing issue, in my opinion.

Happy Friday!
Very good post Swamp. You hit the nail on the head. Like I said previously, this (Freight) is a whole new animal to FedEx. But we are now going in the right direction. They are listening.......and making changes. You can't change everything over night....but as long as they are a work in progress we need to step up and support our Company and each other. I started with AF 20 years ago. Was happy. Treated right. And I still am.

One more thing Red,

I would say, the case could be made that most of FedEx Freight problems over the past years COULD be due to their straying too far from the (AF) founding principals. Yes, conditions/environments change, but they don't have to effect the working relationship, and should NEVER effect your basic guiding principals, IMHO. Let's not forget that Sheridan wanted to create "a company in which there was no conflict between labor and management". Viking and Watkins were founded on very similar philosophy.

Over time, under FDX rule, the focus changed evolved from this:

The six original guiding principles:

1. Take care of our people.
2. Take care of our customers.
4. Work hard, smart, and safely—and
work together.
5. Make the most of resources.
6. Have fun.

To this (IMHO)

1. Make the most of resources.
2.Work hard, smart.
4.Take care of our customers
5.Take care of our people.

To a combination of this:

“Purple Promise” to make every FedEx experience outstanding.

And

1. People
2. Service
3. Profit

There remains an ongoing internal conflict (on the Freight side) between 1 (People) and 3 (Profit), often at the expense of 2 (Service).

Let me correct the last part Swamp

1. Profit
2. Service
3. People

[QUOTdracer3136, post: 988410, member: 5976"]Wrong again....the NLRB covers anybody regardless of whether you're union or not...you don't have to be a union member/company to what they did, however, they must adhere to the guidelines set forth by the NLRB in order to recieve protection from retaliation from the company, if those guidelines aren't met or are broken by "serious misconduct", which is outlined by the NLRB, then all protection is lost and those employees are on their own!! Perhaps the other thugs that were in attendance should have paid attention to these guidelines since their actions also represent the few employees that participated. Also, their "show" wasn't considered a "wildcat strike" since that is something done by union members without consent of union leadership...GAR hasn't had an election, nor has an election been certified by the NLRB and the company, therefor they're nothing more than "at will" employees protesting on their own....not a very smart idea IMO!![/QUOTE. ]
Dude what's your problem? The question is/was why or what are they striking for/about..Ok?stay focused man.They are striking because they want to unionize and FedEx don't want it, very simple if you ask me..and any group of workers can walkout and strike for any reasons they want, I just used the word wildcat to describe their actions..don't be a hair splitter.You are correct, all employees are protected under NLB rules, however in Calif if your company is union you must join and pay dues to be employed at said company

[QUOTdracer3136, post: 988410, member: 5976"]Wrong again....the NLRB covers anybody regardless of whether you're union or not...you don't have to be a union member/company to what they did, however, they must adhere to the guidelines set forth by the NLRB in order to recieve protection from retaliation from the company, if those guidelines aren't met or are broken by "serious misconduct", which is outlined by the NLRB, then all protection is lost and those employees are on their own!! Perhaps the other thugs that were in attendance should have paid attention to these guidelines since their actions also represent the few employees that participated. Also, their "show" wasn't considered a "wildcat strike" since that is something done by union members without consent of union leadership...GAR hasn't had an election, nor has an election been certified by the NLRB and the company, therefor they're nothing more than "at will" employees protesting on their own....not a very smart idea IMO!![/QUOTE. ]
Dude what's your problem? The question is/was why or what are they striking for/about..Ok?stay focused man.They are striking because they want to unionize and FedEx don't want it, very simple if you ask me..and any group of workers can walkout and strike for any reasons they want, I just used the word wildcat to describe their actions..don't be a hair splitter.You are correct, all employees are protected under NLB rules, however in Calif if your company is union you must join and pay dues to be employed at said company
I'm just correcting your mistakes, that's all....don't get your panties in a wad!!
That's exactly why my original response was...they're blaming FedEx for their lack of support in response to why they were protesting!! It doesn't matter what state you live in, you can't have a union just because you want one, there are procedures that must be followed....and GAR doesn't have the support to get past step one....and they're trying to blame FedEx!!

News Flash: not everyone wants a union!!

Ok now YOU try to stay focused, how is Fedex keeping them from voting in the union? At this point staging a strike has nothing to do with their union drive. Sign the cards have the vote and see where you are then. I realize Fedex has been stalling on the negotiations at the four yes terminals but that's not what they're dealing with here. By the way learn to use the quote feature, it make reading your response easier as well as responding to your post.