FedEx Freight | Gardena CA on strike, walkout!

. Perhaps you weren't privy to what occurred at the hubs from the confines of your comfy city cab at a satellite center but I can assure you from 1995-2000 bills per hour, damages/claims, load factors, etc..., was all data that was collected and we were held accountable to, maybe not to the extent that it is today but is was present.
:biglaugh:

Much of what you are saying is obvious, and other parts would be hard to prove untrue. The tactics of reduced (stagnant) compensation, while requiring more, and more, can and has been proven. That is part of the efficiency metric too.

We disagree on a lot, but I've got to give you credit, the above is some funny :shhit:, and well played. Well worth the price of admission... :hysterical:

With the purchase of Watkins, things worked the same...we operated separately in order to bring them up to speed with our culture but they failed to adapt which was evident when the merger took place.

Red, there is so much about the Watkins acquisition that you still don't understand. I still recommend that you read this book: http://www.amazon.com/You-Call-This...sr=8-1&keywords=you+call+this+fing+leadership

41LHSKdVtPL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The facts in the book have been confirmed with several Watkins veterans, both employee and Management.

In fact, with Christmas just around the corner, I could send you a copy. If I address it to your center c/o Redracer, would they get it to you?

Red, there is so much about the Watkins acquisition that you still don't understand. I still recommend that you read this book: http://www.amazon.com/You-Call-This-F-ing-Leadership/dp/1483917878/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447594537&sr=8-1&keywords=you call this fing leadership

The facts in the book have been confirmed with several Watkins veterans, both employee and Management.

In fact, with Christmas just around the corner, I could send you a copy. If I address it to your center c/o Redracer, would they get it to you?
Hmmm....another book written by another former disgruntled employee about how their former employer did everybody wrong once they shut the doors...how original, I'm certain it wasn't a best seller which explains why I've never heard of it!!

All his rants do is prove my point even further, it was a known fact as to why the purchase of Watkins regardless of whether it was ever said publicly...and it wasn't to build and/or continue their brand/business.

As for the Christmas gift, it depends on who receives it...the receptionist probably wouldn't know but I'm sure it would find its way into my hands...eventually.

It's not up to Fedex, they have nothing to say about it. The drivers from that terminal have to get cards signed and then petition the nlrb for a vote Fedex has absolutely NO say in any of that.

John and Red are right. FedEx has no say at all, until a petition is filed. Even after the petition is filed, the Company does not see who signed. The Company must then provide the NLRB with the seniority list and the NLRB verifies the accuracy of the petition. Then the Company will likely contest the bargaining unit.

I can understand the perception that it is unfair (ULP) for the Company to have unfettered access to the employees, under the guise of "education", while the pro Union side has restricted access and limited educational opportunity.

Truth is, this is settled law, and the burden, at this point, is on the employees to secure sufficient cards to satisfy the Union Local. This number is the one that becomes harder to attain. 50% is easy, 60% is difficult, and 70% is a monumental task. Bottom Line: Access to, and education of the group is quite challenging for the Pro side, but fairly easy for the Company. In fact the Teamsters are making this harder than necessary. Fact, IMHO. But it is well within their right, as well.

Hmmm....another book written by another former disgruntled employee about how their former employer did everybody wrong once they shut the doors...how original, I'm certain it wasn't a best seller which explains why I've never heard of it!!

All his rants do is prove my point even further, it was a known fact as to why the purchase of Watkins regardless of whether it was ever said publicly...and it wasn't to build and/or continue their brand/business.

As for the Christmas gift, it depends on who receives it...the receptionist probably wouldn't know but I'm sure it would find its way into my hands...eventually.

No Red, that is not even close to what the book documents. It documents the mishandling of the acquisition, mostly due to the AF dominance and cutthroat nature of decisions made by the old AF leadership. In fact He only faults FedEx for not keeping a handle on the day to day, but rather letting (former) AF manipulate and thereby insure the demise of a great 74 year old Company.

He is actually very favorable in his description and praise of FedEx, once he became M/D FedEx Freight H/R based in Memphis. In his words, the "Real FedEx", has much to be proud of...

No Red, that is not even close to what the book documents. It documents the mishandling of the acquisition, mostly due to the AF dominance and cutthroat nature of decisions made by the old AF leadership. In fact He only faults FedEx for not keeping a handle on the day to day, but rather letting (former) AF manipulate and thereby insure the demise of a great 74 year old Company.

He is actually very favorable in his description and praise of FedEx, once he became M/D FedEx Freight H/R based in Memphis. In his words, the "Real FedEx", has much to be proud of...
Again, he describes the "mishandling of the acquisition" like he expected Watkins/National to continue to grow and become this great FedEx company....it was never in the cards regardless of what he assumed, was told, believed, etc..., they were aquired for several reasons but to remain a separate, thriving company beneath FedEx's umbrella was never one of them...period...IMHO.

John and Red are right. FedEx has no say at all, until a petition is filed. Even after the petition is filed, the Company does not see who signed. The Company must then provide the NLRB with the seniority list and the NLRB verifies the accuracy of the petition. Then the Company will likely contest the bargaining unit.

I can understand the perception that it is unfair (ULP) for the Company to have unfettered access to the employees, under the guise of "education", while the pro Union side has restricted access and limited educational opportunity.

Truth is, this is settled law, and the burden, at this point, is on the employees to secure sufficient cards to satisfy the Union Local. This number is the one that becomes harder to attain. 50% is easy, 60% is difficult, and 70% is a monumental task. Bottom Line: Access to, and education of the group is quite challenging for the Pro side, but fairly easy for the Company. In fact the Teamsters are making this harder than necessary. Fact, IMHO. But it is well within their right, as well.

Thank you Swampy!

Why would you consider the "unfettered access to the employees, under the guise of "education" an ULP? Are the employees not being "educated"?

You claim education is easy for the company but quite challenging for the union...please elaborate. Correct me if I'm wrong but the doors on every local hall stand wide open for anyone who wants their help, it's up to the employees to take the time to walk through them. My guess is that most employees aren't interested in what the union is selling, otherwise they'd be beating down that door!!

So, this well respected man lied, was lied to, had no grasp of reality, nor realistic expectations? Meanwhile FedEx lost millions, after overpaying, thus being taken advantage of, misled and was never able to make money off of the acquisition? Still continuing with the company, while disgruntled, this man was able to remain, while most were dismissed? Incredible theory.

Why would you consider the "unfettered access to the employees, under the guise of "education" an ULP? Are the employees not being "educated"?

You claim education is easy for the company but quite challenging for the union...please elaborate. Correct me if I'm wrong but the doors on every local hall stand wide open for anyone who wants their help, it's up to the employees to take the time to walk through them. My guess is that most employees aren't interested in what the union is selling, otherwise they'd be beating down that door!!

Are you feeling hung over today? I ask, only due to what seems to be a comprehension issue. I said: "I can understand the perception". Keyword: perception. I then went on to explain the basic truth of the process.

Come on Red, when you can have meetings with a captive audience, you have an advantage. Would you let me have that same luxury and/or access to every employee? Would you allow a professional organizer access? NO. Access is half of the battle, and in that, the Company has the advantage,

It takes ZERO effort to get the company (anti) side. It does take a significant time/ effort to seek out the other side.

You know this is true. But it is the way the process works.

It's the same way at every center that's ever started signing cards whether they petitioned or not. If the employees are signing cards it's obvious they are upset, disgruntled, etc..., about something and this is the company's way of combatting the situation. FedEx, like most companies, doesn't want the union and they'll do all they can legally to avoid dealing with them, including meetings and union busting and it's well within their rights....it's their company. No one is "forced" to hear only one side, the local hall is open for anyone to ask questions. From our contacts in SoCal, the general consensus is that the majority of drivers at GAR don't want the union and wish to remain union-free...if that upsets the 20 or so drivers that do want it, sorry, but don't blame the company.
There are one or two pro-union drivers that chime in here and there that I assume are from, or are close to GAR but who knows??

Don't be a stranger @gr8times.

I do recall being forced (thru mandatory meetings) to listen to the anti union propaganda. There were no pro union mandatory meetings or equal time to go to the hall and get information from the the other side.I don't know about you but I went to "mandatory" meetings not voluntary meetings. You assume too much. You and your "contacts in SoCal" are wrong on that majority story. I don't have contacts in SoCal I have friends that still work in SoCal because that's where I transferred from. I think I will believe my friends over your contacts.

It's the same way at every center that's ever started signing cards whether they petitioned or not. If the employees are signing cards it's obvious they are upset, disgruntled, etc..., about something and this is the company's way of combatting the situation. FedEx, like most companies, doesn't want the union and they'll do all they can legally to avoid dealing with them, including meetings and union busting and it's well within their rights....it's their company. No one is "forced" to hear only one side, the local hall is open for anyone to ask questions. From our contacts in SoCal, the general consensus is that the majority of drivers at GAR don't want the union and wish to remain union-free...if that upsets the 20 or so drivers that do want it, sorry, but don't blame the company.
There are one or two pro-union drivers that chime in here and there that I assume are from, or are close to GAR but who knows??

Don't be a stranger @gr8times.

Wrong you don't have to be upset or disgruntled to sign a card maybe they are fed up with our declining benefits package and aspire to negotiate better.

Are you feeling hung over today? I ask, only due to what seems to be a comprehension issue. I said: "I can understand the perception". Keyword: perception. I then went on to explain the basic truth of the process.

Come on Red, when you can have meetings with a captive audience, you have an advantage. Would you let me have that same luxury and/or access to every employee? Would you allow a professional organizer access? NO. Access is half of the battle, and in that, the Company has the advantage,

It takes ZERO effort to get the company (anti) side. It does take a significant time/ effort to seek out the other side.

You know this is true. But it is the way the process works.
Perhaps if those that wish to organize would offer to pay those to hear their message, they could get more participants to listen. Many who want representation went to those anti-meetings also not because they were mandatory, but because they were paid to. We had many at my center who didn't attend those "mandatory" meetings because their minds were made up for one side or the other, some of the fence sitters went to hear the message, and others, like myself, simply went for the free money.
You claim ZERO effort for the company but I'll disagree, those meetings took planning, the handouts, the presentations, all cost money....and a lot of effort.

I do recall being forced (thru mandatory meetings) to listen to the anti union propaganda. There were no pro union mandatory meetings or equal time to go to the hall and get information from the the other side.I don't know about you but I went to "mandatory" meetings not voluntary meetings. You assume too much. You and your "contacts in SoCal" are wrong on that majority story. I don't have contacts in SoCal I have friends that still work in SoCal because that's where I transferred from. I think I will believe my friends over your contacts.

You're correct about the anti meetings being "mandatory" but you got paid for it. The company is well within its right to do so and under no obligation to provide the pro side "equal" time. The union has some advantages also, the company can't lie, threaten, or otherwise coerce you (I'm not saying they don't just that they're not supposed to) the union doesn't have those restrictions. Maybe the union should offer to pay people to come. As far as this specific example I don't have "contacts" there like Red or "friends" like you, I have to make my assumptions based on evidence at hand. The way I see it if they had enough support they would have a vote, since they so have the nerve to stage a work stoppage (and that in itself says something because no one else in this campaign has had the nerve) then they don't seem to be "afraid" of management so file the petition and get on with it. However if this is what it seems then they don't have the numbers so they're throwing a tantrum and blaming the company for their lack of support. My point is and has been if they want a union vote they can have it the company can't stop it. Now after the vote that another story.