TForce | Has anyone been using the Diad for awhile?

Our UPS instructor said that UPS,and UPS Freight trainers have been traning every driver in all of the terminals for 7 months,on how to use these NARCO boxes.
And the one that we are using now is the third,or fourth generation.
I forgot which it was that he said we had.
But that means they are still trying to work the bugs out of them.
The ones we have trained on are far along from the first ones they started with.
But this one also has two things it shouldn't have.
If we use either one it messes up the whole device.

The combind button on the upper right,is a page turner,he says we should put a piece of tape over it,and never touch it.

The other issue is in the payment box.
Theres prepaid,or (PPD)(COL)for collect,and one more that shouldn't be there for any reason.
This is (HD) if you hit that entry your box is going to go bonkers,you will have to call dispatch to see what you can do to fix it.

But heres the thing that gets me,we were told each one of these little brown plastic boxes cost between $1400.00,and $1600.00.
So if they are on their 3rd,or 4th version,counting ever terminal.

Wow thats a whole lot of cold hard cash,and it still needs some tweeking to get it to 100 percent.

Oh my,my,now I see one of the reasons they need the quarter they are keeping for all of the road drivers drop,and hooks.

Our UPS instructor said that UPS,and UPS Freight trainers have been traning every driver in all of the terminals for 7 months,on how to use these NARCO boxes.
And the one that we are using now is the third,or fourth generation.
I forgot which it was that he said we had.
But that means they are still trying to work the bugs out of them.
The ones we have trained on are far along from the first ones they started with.
But this one also has two things it shouldn't have.
If we use either one it messes up the whole device.

The combind button on the upper right,is a page turner,he says we should put a piece of tape over it,and never touch it.

The other issue is in the payment box.
Theres prepaid,or (PPD)(COL)for collect,and one more that shouldn't be there for any reason.
This is (HD) if you hit that entry your box is going to go bonkers,you will have to call dispatch to see what you can do to fix it.

But heres the thing that gets me,we were told each one of these little brown plastic boxes cost between $1400.00,and $1600.00.
So if they are on their 3rd,or 4th version,counting ever terminal.

Wow thats a whole lot of cold hard cash,and it still needs some tweeking to get it to 100 percent.

Oh my,my,now I see one of the reasons they need the quarter they are keeping for all of the road drivers drop,and hooks.

Well the first problem of all it's running Microsoft CE , secondly, it is a UPS company that made them, so if they cost 1600 ea. then someone has found a way to hide some monies. If you get into a system where the wireless system is blotchy in signal, they freeze up!!!!

A beautiful reboot of the system is usually required but then it dumps what was programmed in it.

Yeah thats another thing.
Our instructor also told us to bring them inside of our customers businesses so our customers get used to us using them,like the regular parcel drivers.

So the first time I brought it inside my best customer on my route.
He saw me using it,untill it locked up.
Than he got a real good laugh out of it.

I called dispatch,and he said take it out to your tractor,you've lost the signal inside of that building.
Sure enough I wrapped up my pickup,and paper work,went to my tractor,and low,and behold I was back on-line.

Oh yeah this new technology does need some tweeking for us to be like our parcel counter parts.

Yeah thats another thing.
Our instructor also told us to bring them inside of our customers businesses so our customers get used to us using them,like the regular parcel drivers.

So the first time I brought it inside my best customer on my route.
He saw me using it,untill it locked up.
Than he got a real good laugh out of it.

I called dispatch,and he said take it out to your tractor,you've lost the signal inside of that building.
Sure enough I wrapped up my pickup,and paper work,went to my tractor,and low,and behold I was back on-line.

Oh yeah this new technology does need some tweeking for us to be like our parcel counter parts.

Eventually a customer will be able to go on the website, put the pickup in the mainframe, and when we get there , we will be able to scan and get out, and all the info of the pickup will be on the diad, allowing us to just scan and leave, but I feel this is still a long way off yet.

So you type a little now , but in the future it will be easier , and besides when and if that get's here, we will be able to do it manually if i9nfact we have to when the time comes.

You know Accelerator it doesn't seem that long ago to me that all you needed in the education department to drive a truck.
Was to be able to read,and write english.
Oh yeah you also had to know how to use a calculator to do math.

But now you will need a college degree to keep up with all the technology that trucking companys are incorporating into their operations.

I used to tell people that any dummy could be a truck driver.
What did we need to know?
Just shift the gears turn the wheel,and aim it.
No sir,no more slapping gears,and turning the wheel,now we've got to have at least half a brain to keep up.

You know Accelerator it doesn't seem that long ago to me that all you needed in the education department to drive a truck.
Was to be able to read,and write english.
Oh yeah you also had to know how to use a calculator to do math.

But now you will need a college degree to keep up with all the technology that trucking companys are incorporating into their operations.

I used to tell people that any dummy could be a truck driver.
What did we need to know?
Just shift the gears turn the wheel,and aim it.
No sir,no more slapping gears,and turning the wheel,now we've got to have at least half a brain to keep up.

APO, If you can go too UPSER'S website and read this "One ups delivers technology to all customers, etc. etc."
article under UPSFREIGHT, Its explains what they will be doing with the technology they are implementing currently with all of UPS'S customers.

A very small percentage of UPS'S customer base useing WORLSHIP is using UPSFREIGHT ,It is just a matter of intergration into the current worlship system the customers are demanding this happen. So the implementation of this technology is still in it's infancy.Operational intergration is still in it's infancy.

Read the article, it is very cool to know , one day we shall be running around like the BROWNIES. You could call us SUPERSIZE BROWNIES.

APO, If you can go too UPSER'S website and read this "One ups delivers technology to all customers, etc. etc."
article under UPSFREIGHT, Its explains what they will be doing with the technology they are implementing currently with all of UPS'S customers.

A very small percentage of UPS'S customer base useing WORLSHIP is using UPSFREIGHT , the customers are demanding this happen. So the implementation of this technology is still in it's infancy.

Read the article, it is very cool to know , one day we shall be running around like the BROWNIES. You could call us SUPERSIZE BROWNIES.

Once customers realize that they can link freight on Worldship, it maybe just a matter of time till every Tom, Dick and Harry start using it. Especially if they continue to develope and train the 4000+ small package reps into freight selling machines. I know in my area that my small package rep has gotten me 6 new accounts since mid-December. Add to that the UPSF reps that are out there now catering to major accounts and promoting the technological advantages....look out!!! I believe since the begining of January we are up a little over last year. I know outbound has started to pick up. As this technology unfolds in the next few months, the Supersized Brownies may be too hot to handle.

WOW 6 new accounts hugnlug?
Did your TM hire another driver to help out with these new customers?
Are you going to have your route split so you can still get all of your route done?

I myself go to one of our customers that puts his pickup info in the UPS computer,and generates a UPS Freight bill of laden,and lables with printed pro's on them.

Its really neat to see everything we need being printed out.

If every shipper gets a hold of this technology,my TM will have to hire on a lot more drivers,and dock help as well to handle everything.

I'm also going to be very busy with safety training.

Thats ok,its always nice to have help along unloading my route trailer.

Four days of UPS Freight safety instructions,the last day evaluating the students driving habits.
It works for me!

Once customers realize that they can link freight on Worldship, it maybe just a matter of time till every Tom, Dick and Harry start using it. Especially if they continue to develope and train the 4000+ small package reps into freight selling machines. I know in my area that my small package rep has gotten me 6 new accounts since mid-December. Add to that the UPSF reps that are out there now catering to major accounts and promoting the technological advantages....look out!!! I believe since the begining of January we are up a little over last year. I know outbound has started to pick up. As this technology unfolds in the next few months, the Supersized Brownies may be too hot to handle.

In the area I handle , due to a UPS reps.( I have 8 in the area I cover alone) .I have seen 4 of my accounts give us more freight, (1-4 shipments daily each )is now 6-8, I do not think a 48' trailer will be able too sustain the freight we will be generating in this area. I have had 3 drivers in the area daily in january, this is unheard of, in comparison to past years I delivered half a trailer of freight and maybe half in pickups. A 40' trailer too boot.Until atleast March.

I can just imagine what this year will bring,and they ,Corperate that is, is telling our TM to hire more drivers in Febuary and I think he will definatly have too.

So the UPS technology is causing growth?

I see on other trucking company forums Fedex is growing their business by cutting other companys prices.

UPS on the other hand is spending their money on these Diads to make their business grow offering convenence to the customers.
Which will be the winner in the end?

Cut throat pricing,or the convenence of technology?

May the best company win with whatever it takes to make people happy to use them to truck all of their goods.

So the UPS technology is causing growth?

I see on other trucking company forums Fedex is growing their business by cutting other companys prices.

UPS on the other hand is spending their money on these Diads to make their business grow offering convenence to the customers.
Which will be the winner in the end?

Cut throat pricing,or the convenence of technology?

May the best company win with whatever it takes to make people happy to use them to truck all of their goods.

Yes the technology will definatly help without doubt, it will put us in better standing with our customer base, just the portfolio of transportation and logistic needs UPS can bring to thier
customers is outstanding in comparison to what "O" Had .

I also believe price dropping to some degree is not out of the spectrum, and I do not think UPS will hesitate to do this to exploit us to their customer base.

All the big concern I had learing to operate my little brown plastic (NARCO) box.
Just like some of you posters told me in a short time it will be a natural thing to do.
Well I'm here to say you all were so right on.

Thanks for all of your post comments to this thread most of you really helped me out.

Just one week ago we were learning how it worked.
today it was like no big deal.

I did run into a funny thing today.
With the atmospheric conditions around our area,our Diad system was acting very odd.

I only had one odd thing,in that I had the zip code set in that box for a pickup.
When I keyed it ok,a pop up came to the screen looking for a 6 didgit zip.
So I checked it off,than went back to that box retyping the same 5 didgit zip I had already.
This time it worked.
I got my route done,and punched up the Lunch delay.
After lunch I punched in return to terminal,the last entry on my box.
I was about 2 minutes out from arriving at our terminal.
When our outbound supervisor called me on our company phone saying the system was running really slow today.
Where was I?
I said you'll see me in under 2 minutes,I asked why?
He said it looked like I was still on lunch?

Oh well I guess UPS has still got some work getting the bugs out of these things?

But now that I'm used to using it,lets get rid of our paper DR's,we don't need this extra work anymore.

All the big concern I had learing to operate my little brown plastic (NARCO) box.
Just like some of you posters told me in a short time it will be a natural thing to do.
Well I'm here to say you all were so right on.

Thanks for all of your post comments to this thread most of you really helped me out.

Just one week ago we were learning how it worked.
today it was like no big deal.

I did run into a funny thing today.
With the atmospheric conditions around our area,our Diad system was acting very odd.

I only had one odd thing,in that I had the zip code set in that box for a pickup.
When I keyed it ok,a pop up came to the screen looking for a 6 didgit zip.
So I checked it off,than went back to that box retyping the same 5 didgit zip I had already.
This time it worked.
I got my route done,and punched up the Lunch delay.
After lunch I punched in return to terminal,the last entry on my box.
I was about 2 minutes out from arriving at our terminal.
When our outbound supervisor called me on our company phone saying the system was running really slow today.
Where was I?
I said you'll see me in under 2 minutes,I asked why?
He said it looked like I was still on lunch?

Oh well I guess UPS has still got some work getting the bugs out of these things?

But now that I'm used to using it,lets get rid of our paper DR's,we don't need this extra work anymore.

Within time things will get easier, be patient. UPS loves efficiency.

So now is the whole UPS Freight company city drivers been trained on these Diads?

The UPS manager that trained us on them last week said they've been doing this training for 7 months,I thought he said we were the last terminal.
Now I don't know if he just meant the last terminal in our northeastern region,or the intire company?

Hey APO,
Now that you have a week under your belt- Are you still perplexed and puzzled? I had fun today with DELAYS, waiting for door, Train, Fueling and Lunch. They did teach about the delay function didn't they? It really is kind of interesting at times...Ihad one completed stop and was at my second before the diad even booted to me with my route.. I still have to keep track manually so I can update the diad once it boots to me in the field. Wait until you have spot and/or hook trlrs, that is a real pain if the dispatcher does not input the correct information..
Let me know how you are doing from time to time.....
Big red

Oh yes sir I've been using this delay feature myself.
Its really neat.
I can log in waiting for a door.
And now I have no problem getting my whole half hour lunch alotment every day.

Yesterday I saw the crossing gates come down in front of two cars ahead of me,at a train crossing,so as I was coming to a stop I punched up the train track delay.
It turned out to be just two engines hook together,it wasn't even a 5 minute delay?

Oh well I just put my little NARCO box back on duty,and return to terminal.
No muss,no fuss.

Other than the fact that my terminal computer shows where I am every minute,of every day.
These things are really neat to use.

Now we've just got to get rid of the paper DR's so we don't have to keep doing double work at all of our stops.

bigred67 how long have you been using them out in the (shaky state) California?

BusterNite your are a real piece of work.

Thats what everyone always says to me,when I throw out my comments.

Now I'm passing it on to you and your original remarks.

Or I could say your a real trip.
Are you tripping?