Holland | Holland To Abolish UE Drivers

Well according to the experts that have posted previously only city men have the commonsense to drive in the yard cautiously.Seems strange that the two deaths we have had were line haul men run over by local cartage.GENTLEMEN this bickering must stop and the survival of our trade must remain our #1 goal. There is no perfect plan. Tyson J mentioned that if we are inclined to turn this down the company has the right to continue on with the UE COO. Is the plan perfect ?? NO but the fine details that could make it workable have yet to be worked out. I will be the first to admit that I'm looking at it from the linehaul side but the other choice is to eliminate the line haul position all together.Operations at dark terminals will only see cross docking during those dark hrs.At one of the 17 velocity sort terminals this would happen 24-7 along with assistance from local cartage. Like it or not we are union brothers that must work together for the benefit of a common cause .Thinking out loud with roadway-yellow combineing and sheding hundreds of jobs were would you go if we were to go belly up ? I'm not asking anyone to be scared ,just to be smart.

I think that would be up to mgt, if the city guys are buried in work and it may be 1 to 2 hours before they can get to the drop then let the road driver work his load, but if it is'nt busy that the city drivers can get right on the drop, then let the city drivers do it.

USF INDY, a voice of reason. Why would any man let a buck stand in the way of servicing our frt? . We better put our customers first for a change before it's to late. GRIZZ

Local cartage men might be unaware that at some terminals it is not uncommon to wait 3-4 hrs for a drop and hook. Nobody in their right mind can justify this or explain why a local cartage and linehaul man are both on the clock for the same thing. You can't survive very long doing this. Or how many road drivers take a break before going to a terminal knowing that by the time they eventually get there the dock guys will be on duty and he'll sit there and suck up the gravy or to be at a terminal when the whole dock goes to break or lunch while the line haul driver is paid to wait or runs out of hrs ? Times are changing and we must learn to change with the times to stay competitive.
I'm getting off my soap box now and hope everyone takes a good look at this whole deal.

USF INDY, a voice of reason. Why would any man let a buck stand in the way of servicing our frt? . We better put our customers first for a change before it's to late. GRIZZ
I can't speak to your situation but at the Natinonal side of YRC its Management that forgot the customer, not labor. Bet 90% of the time it's the same way where your at. :1036316054:

I understand what saying about management. My concern is what I can control from the dock or as a switcher. You'll never see a R/D wait while I'm on the yard. GRIZZ

?

Well according to the experts that have posted previously only city men have the commonsense to drive in the yard cautiously.Seems strange that the two deaths we have had were line haul men run over by local cartage.GENTLEMEN this bickering must stop and the survival of our trade must remain our #1 goal. There is no perfect plan. Tyson J mentioned that if we are inclined to turn this down the company has the right to continue on with the UE COO. Is the plan perfect ?? NO but the fine details that could make it workable have yet to be worked out. I will be the first to admit that I'm looking at it from the linehaul side but the other choice is to eliminate the line haul position all together.Operations at dark terminals will only see cross docking during those dark hrs.At one of the 17 velocity sort terminals this would happen 24-7 along with assistance from local cartage. Like it or not we are union brothers that must work together for the benefit of a common cause .Thinking out loud with roadway-yellow combineing and sheding hundreds of jobs were would you go if we were to go belly up ? I'm not asking anyone to be scared ,just to be smart.

Are you sure you are not management? Basically with this plan EVERY linehaul driver is a Utility driver, pretty much able to work across all job classifications. Whats next , comming in off a 500 mile run and getting handed a stack of bills to deliver on the street. You can call it surviving , I call it crap. If I wanted to work work like this , I would have applied for a job at Conway 19 years ago instead of here. Lets see, doing five or six laydown runs without getting home during the week, road drivers doing the dockwork at night (which I have no problem doing at a dark terminal as we have always done) and this company can't make money? I've done about all the changing with the times as you put it that I can do. I think we need an extreme management makeover, and if they can't make money with the work rules that we have at Holland now, they might as well go ahead and turn out the lights. Oh yeah, I'm looking at it from the linehaul side also, and I don't like the view.

Line haul men may not be aware that at many local cartage terminals, we are so short handed because YRC Holland wants to save money by laying off city men that it takes us longer to do everything. The management tells us what to do and when to do it. If it were in my control I would get every guy that came through in and out ASAP. I know that the quicker a road man gets in and out the more money he makes. Some seem to think that we city men goof off all the time, they're wrong. Some people are lazy I'll admit and some work to fast and are very dangerous to others on the dock and yard. Its managements job to insure that everyone is doing an honest days work for an honest day pay. I won't bring up what goes on away from the terminals by non-city employee's on exit ramps and truck stops. We have certain employee's that we can set our watches by as to what time they'll get the loads back the next morning, no matter what time they leave the night before. All I'm saying is don't blame all the city men because they're as many bad apples on the road side as there are on the city side. This new agreement takes it out on the city men and helps the road. Now everybody is just supposed to say, OK, it will help out the company and I'll go along with it, even though it unjustly hurts the city men. Its against what was agreed to by the full membership and is a backroom deal that is undercutting what is in the contract. Why didn't the road men just say if it helps the company I'll go along with it when it hurt them? Sorry but it wasn't fair for the road and now its not fair for the city, so why should we city men agree to getting stabbed in the back for both the good of the company and the road men? I'm not bitter or even mad, something has to happen I agree. The sad part in LO, there are road men working every day with a little over a years seniority but they are city men with 3.5 years seniority on laid off but that doesn't count now, right. All I'm trying to get across is that everything that several road men have been saying negative, about the first changes ever since this all started, is now going to happen to the city men, if this goes through. And all of a sudden it OK because its not happening to them, just look yourselves in the mirror and be proud of your strong brotherhood. Think this to yourself, if it happens to someone else thats OK but if it happens to me they better look out.

"Thats our city work that you road men are helping the company steal from us!" (I changed the word city for the word road). That sentence was from an old post from a road man.

:soapbox: I'm done now, thanks for reading my opinion about this, I'm a city man as most of you all know. Go ahead and let me have it. :hide:

Line haul men may not be aware that at many local cartage terminals, we are so short handed because YRC Holland wants to save money by laying off city men that it takes us longer to do everything. The management tells us what to do and when to do it. If it were in my control I would get every guy that came through in and out ASAP. I know that the quicker a road man gets in and out the more money he makes. Some seem to think that we city men goof off all the time, they're wrong. Some people are lazy I'll admit and some work to fast and are very dangerous to others on the dock and yard. Its managements job to insure that everyone is doing an honest days work for an honest day pay. I won't bring up what goes on away from the terminals by non-city employee's on exit ramps and truck stops. We have certain employee's that we can set our watches by as to what time they'll get the loads back the next morning, no matter what time they leave the night before. All I'm saying is don't blame all the city men because they're as many bad apples on the road side as there are on the city side. This new agreement takes it out on the city men and helps the road. Now everybody is just supposed to say, OK, it will help out the company and I'll go along with it, even though it unjustly hurts the city men. Its against what was agreed to by the full membership and is a backroom deal that is undercutting what is in the contract. Why didn't the road men just say if it helps the company I'll go along with it when it hurt them? Sorry but it wasn't fair for the road and now its not fair for the city, so why should we city men agree to getting stabbed in the back for both the good of the company and the road men? I'm not bitter or even mad, something has to happen I agree. The sad part in LO, there are road men working every day with a little over a years seniority but they are city men with 3.5 years seniority on laid off but that doesn't count now, right. All I'm trying to get across is that everything that several road men have been saying negative, about the first changes ever since this all started, is now going to happen to the city men, if this goes through. And all of a sudden it OK because its not happening to them, just look yourselves in the mirror and be proud of your strong brotherhood. Think this to yourself, if it happens to someone else thats OK but if it happens to me they better look out.

"Thats our city work that you road men are helping the company steal from us!" (I changed the word city for the word road). That sentence was from an old post from a road man.

:soapbox: I'm done now, thanks for reading my opinion about this, I'm a city man as most of you all know. Go ahead and let me have it. :hide:

I agree with you about 1 percent 0f the time, but I could not have said that better, well done.

Are you sure you are not management?

Indy isn't management, I can tell you that much myself. He's just like all of us, trying to make the best out of a bad situation. He has a right to his opinion just like everybody else. Don't blame him for this, blame the IBT leadership. Thats the bad guys in my opinion, they are the ones helping the company with this deal, not us. I say put it to a full membership vote. Never mind, I'm sure it would pass by 67% just like they say the contract did last time. Lol, they would probably just count the same ballots that they used last time anyway. :nutkick:

Indy isn't management, I can tell you that much myself. He's just like all of us, trying to make the best out of a bad situation. He has a right to his opinion just like everybody else. Don't blame him for this, blame the IBT leadership. Thats the bad guys in my opinion, they are the ones helping the company with this deal, not us. I say put it to a full membership vote. Never mind, I'm sure it would pass by 67% just like they say the contract did last time. Lol, they would probably just count the same ballots that they used last time anyway. :nutkick:

I didn't say I blamed him for anything, and yes he or she does have the right to their own opinion, but I just happen not to agree with their opinion, thats all. I am just in disbelief that anyone could lay this crap out and call it surviving. I would call it gullable.
Over and out.

Maybe thats how the contract got voted in? All I meant was Indy is a good guy, he has his opinions and others have theirs. I listen to what everybody says and then I make my own opinion about things. You didn't say anything wrong, I just know Indy is one of the good guys, thats all. I'm done too.

Management ?? For those that know me that's actually kind of funny. Check out my profile.I don't hide behind any handle and I'm easy to reach. When management screws up the union personnel are the ones that suffer and the first to get the blame for the problem even though we have little if any input or control. Look at the remaining union carriers. If Holland or Yellow-Roadway were to fail what do you figure the pension fun will be forced to do ? If I'm wrong I think I'd rather error on the side that stayed working.(just my personal opinion)As I said earlier in this thread there is no perfect plan but to do nothing and hope the problem will disappear is not a viable choice.
With YRCW calling the shots at Holland and living by the numbers as is their practice the bean counters are killing us due to not understanding the next day frt business.They are not going to have different rules for every single terminal so a blanket agreement is being put forth.For every terminal that gets a drop and hook driver out quickly there are two that don't.If the original kick and pick system was followed to a tee then cross-docking would not be necessary.We have drivers that are told to drop certain frt on the dock for an incoming thru driver before his drop and hook but he will drop the trailer and run without making drop.
So there are guilty parties on both sides and this plan is what we are being offered so call your locals ASAP and voice your opinion before they notify the IBT wether they are fore or against.No matter which way you choose , get involved. This is your union and your future.

Not all of us brother........KK
NOT YOU KK, NEVER!!! I was referring to the top leadership only. The local leaders know the truth now, so its up to them, as to how they do from here on out. I think its to late for the top guys but I've been wrong before. Thanks for everything you do for us KK. By the way, you're one of the good guys in my book too! :1036316054:

It doesn't make sense.

What I dont get is the fact that they just HAD to have the UE to stay competitive. In fact, they basically told us at JO if we kept refusing it, the International would step in and force us under the National. Now they want to abolish it 6 months later??? The contract before it was the Premium Service Employee that was going to save the day. Lets face it, they simply CANNOT manage anything. They have JO slated as one of the Velocity terminals, supposidly under these new rules they pulled out of thier a$$. Problem is, we (city) are not under the National, never have been. We had different UE language than the rest as well. We have it in our contract, that it is our (city) work, as long as we are on duty. A proposed letter of understanding does not trump the contract that the company agreed to. Local 179 will not agree to it. Aside from all of that, I have a hard time seeing how this benefits the company in any way. Are you telling me that a 10 year road driver is going to be motivated to do something he has never been required to do before, knowing the friction it will cause on the dock with the city guys who resent the fact that he is doing their work? Somehow I don't think he will be in a big hurry to jump out of his warm tractor to break freight on a cold a$$ dock with snow & ice everywhere. Does the company really think this will take less time than giving it to a guy thats used to working in the elements & already out there, dressed for the job? How does this help the bottom line?

soap box

don't let the company divide us we do enough of it on our own. this will take city jobs. i don't think anyone is in question over it. yrc has had enough time to screw with Holland. lets find a way to screw with them...:chairshot::cuss::maddance3::Duel:

17velocity centers now, all the terminals soon to come. watch the road drivers get treated better like always while the city men lose there jobs to the road(drop and hooks = less yard men, cross dock = less morning and afternoon dock bids). Road drivers will have to pack two bags one for regular clothes and one for winter dock clothes because you will never know when you will be going to a velocity center.

For this company to stay (or get back to) being profitable something has to be done. I think that it may be to early to tell what the exact impact will be on the road and city drivers. This is a change that has only happened in the form of a letter and nothing else..so far. I will tell you that I am in management and it only makes sense to have a road driver have the "ability" to do their own drops and hooks. A great example is last night I had a driver come in and sit, on the clock, for an hour for one skid to be taken off. The dock men were all working on other breakers that were handed out before the drop arrived. Flexability is what this new agreement could, if used right, give everyone at Holland. It should not be an us against them issue in any shape or form (management vs drivers, city vs road). Everyone needs to work together and this new agreement can help in that process.