FedEx Freight | Hot Button Topic -Top Road Drivers Feel No Economic Pain

Amnesia.....

Isn't that what management experiences several times daily. Only when it benefits them, of course.:biglaugh:

There is a lot of tit for tat going on here but the argument is mute. FedEx is not interested in having employees share the pain. That would not make good business sense. They will work you as they need you. Some of us will weather the storm and some will not.

Best post ever

I don't know how it works in the city anymore but I know the top 50-70% of the road drivers, never feel the pain of the slow down.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a blessed man and can afford the slowdown for the most part but I don't think it is right that these get 100% checks every week when others work 2-3 days a week.

Am I wrong for thinking this way and should they make it Mandatory that all employees feel the same pain.

Red shirts had to take a cut
I assume City drivers have reduced hours which is a cut.
Bottom 30% (or so) get canceled and feel the pain.
Top 50-70% of the Road never feel the pain.

:popcorn:
Jeff,

You weren't kidding about this post being a hot topic! There seems to be a lot more GREEDY people on the defense posting around here. I do have to say to all the GREEDY ones. We all put are pants on the same way!!! My father had a saying I never understood for years!!! Then one day it finally sunk in.... WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND! Never forget where you came from.

Well thats actually a good point and I see where you are going with it but ya see its about having all to suffer equally, and not giving to those for the mere fact they happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Redistribution is not fair when you take from those who have worked hard to get rich and give it to those who have done nothing to deserve it. Totally different but nice try :loser:

I'm lost Jeff, Spread the wealth or not? Should I suffer equally after starting 28 years ago on the bottom of the list? I spent many days at home with no work. I spent many, many nights away from home on lousy lay over extra board runs. With 28 years seniority, should I suffer equally? Remember we all don't start at the top. I have seen my share of recessions and I was not at the right place at the right time, I was at the bottom of the list where I should have been 28 years ago.

I'm lost Jeff, Spread the wealth or not? Should I suffer equally after starting 28 years ago on the bottom of the list? I spent many days at home with no work. I spent many, many nights away from home on lousy lay over extra board runs. With 28 years seniority, should I suffer equally? Remember we all don't start at the top. I have seen my share of recessions and I was not at the right place at the right time, I was at the bottom of the list where I should have been 28 years ago.

Have you been working here 28 years?

Jeff,

You weren't kidding about this post being a hot topic! There seems to be a lot more GREEDY people on the defense posting around here. I do have to say to all the GREEDY ones. We all put are pants on the same way!!! My father had a saying I never understood for years!!! Then one day it finally sunk in.... WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND! Never forget where you came from.

Greedy because seniority should be respected ? Let me see, I should only be allowed to work 4 days a week after 28 years of service because the new hire that started last year is only getting 3 days of work per week. Can't you see how foolish this is?

There are fellas I work with who never take off for their fellow man but at least I will take off one night in the middle of the week instead of friday. I went through 5 months of working one night a week and did anyone care? You have to pay your dues boy is what I heard. At my center they expect the same ones to slide on a regular basis meanwhile the top 18 keep chugging along and tell dispatch dont bother calling me to slide, I need to work all I can.

Great post. I want to wish you better times ahead and more work than you know what to do with. It's refreshing that someone like you understands what seniority and real life is all about, rather than those who hate on the "upper 50-70%" who have put in their time and now expect or even demand that we owe them something because times are difficult. In a perfect world, there are no layoffs or slow downs. In this world, well..... Good luck to you and all the best.

1) Mileage $ is pretty close to the same as overtime $

2) I've never heard of Line being req. to run 6 days. None in our region...

3) As for being home in time for happy hour, city hours suck just the same.

Yes I did get sick of the road because of the night work. decided to go to city and take the pay cut. I could've stayed and been on a day run today. But that doesn't change the facts... that as mentioned the top XX % of line haul don't feel the cuts yet. Every city driver has been cut from the top seniority to the low man.
we finish on saturday morning,we dont really have a full wknd,lets be real.

we finish on saturday morning,we dont really have a full wknd,lets be real.

Actually if you kept the same vampire schedule on the weekends you do during the week then yes you have a full weekend..... but most people sleep as close as possible to the way normal people do on the weekends.

Well, I almost got my 3 days in this week. I was called in to run to POS tonight. About 30 minutes later they called me back and said my run was cancelled. Looks like I'll be filing for partial unemployment this weekend. Money is money, I'd rather earn it, but I'll take it wherever I can get it to get by. It was 4 degrees last night on the patio in HGR. Man, I haven't been that cold since I was probably 5 years old. They say tonight is even worse.

I wonder if FedEx will start a second round of voluntary layoffs if this keeps up?
it was minus 6 in pocono .you were in a heat wave.

I was up there in hgr the other night too, worked the dock 4.5 hrs. By the time I got my bills, my guys down south were stuck together. I cant remember when I was that damned cold.

It's funny how people assume that those of us who are only working a day or two a week have these extravagant lifestyles and don't know how to manage our money. And now that the economy is slow it is our fault that we don't have enough money. It has nothing to do with poor planning. It has to do with the fact that our incomes have been cut by 60% to 100% a week. No amount of planning can sustain that reduction in pay for an extended period of time. Drivers are having a tough time meeting the basic expenses of life, they are NOT worried about their payments on their yachts, vacation homes, etc. as some of you believe or seem to know all the details of everyone's situation.

Yes, setting aside 6 months to a year of salary is ideal. But the facts are that most people do not have that much saved up. If you do, you are in the minority and likely have never experienced such financial pain. The best thing that could happen to you is to lose your job and have your wife lose her job, go through all of your retirement money and unemployment. Then you would finally have some perspective and some actual experience to make the comments you do. It is obvious that many of you who are so bold in your comments have never had to really experience financial hardship through no fault of your own. If you did have the experience, your comments would not show the obvious broad lack of understanding you have on this issue. Some of you set yourselves up on this high horse and flash your experience (or lack threreof) as some kind of badge of honor, while putting down those that are in this situation as though they are wearing a badge of shame. I have to wonder why someone has to work 6 days a week? They either have no life or need the money because they are living beyond their means.

I have no $400,000 house, no boat, no $30,000 new vehicle. Yes, there are those people out there. But I am not one of them. And if I were it is no one else's business how I spend the money I earn from my job.
lets get something clear here.i never got involved with your finances.i feel for all ,i to was one last year who lost my bid and went to the extra bd.my comments are toward all the ones pointing fingers and right away throwing road under the bus.it is what it is and there is nothing any of us are going to do to change things so why throw the road under the bus ,just do what you have to do to survive.

I was up there in hgr the other night too, worked the dock 4.5 hrs. By the time I got my bills, my guys down south were stuck together. I cant remember when I was that damned cold.
Just come up and work the north end of the dock with me next time,i will keep you warm driver.:last

This is just an educated guess, but I would bet that at least 10% of the road drivers that drive all week and volunteer for weekends are the ones who are living paycheck to paycheck. They probably have to work every day they can and can't afford to give up a Friday...

I wouldnt say that some peoples wifes may be out of work and its all on them to step up,And those drivers working weekends ill bet you its a HUB and good luck trying to get work from a end of the line center,take that up with your cm,And as for friday i said befor the guys at my barn want to cry there not working when you try to give them a day they dont want it they want off so thats on them..