ABF | I am going to think about it really hard.

I REALLY don't mean any disrespect here brothers, But after reading ALL of the changes in this contract, A man or woman would have to be a brain dead fool to even think about voting yes on this. What a slap in the face. You are being set up to work a 13 1/2 hour day six days a week for city and dock, and 13 1/2 hours a day six and a half days a week for the road. NO thanks, not me. They can sugar coat this schmitt anyway they want, it is still SCHMITT.

I dont like it and I wish it were different but I am not going to say I will vote no right off.
I am going to think long and hard and weigh my options and my moral obligations to those who have retired.
I do believe the company will change even more drastically if the proposal is voted down.
I most likely wont be working here if its voted down and I might not be able to tolerate working here if it is voted in.
Man this really sucks.

What moral obligations are you talking about?
The current retirees will not be affected by this.
They will just continue to collect.
It is those of us who cannot retire for twenty more years that are screwed.
And anyways I say vote NO
Good luck all.

I REALLY don't mean any disrespect here brothers, But after reading ALL of the changes in this contract, A man or woman would have to be a brain dead fool to even think about voting yes on this. What a slap in the face. You are being set up to work a 13 1/2 hour day six days a week for city and dock, and 13 1/2 hours a day six and a half days a week for the road. NO thanks, not me. They can sugar coat this schmitt anyway they want, it is still SCHMITT.

Mikey Well said All this and more is going to happen if this is passed, We need to vote this down and let them do it till they get it right.......

Pricing depends on many things like competition rates. Its not automatically passed onto the consumer.
The savings from the concessions just reduces ABFs cost. Doesn't so much affect revenue. Hello!

It would allow ABF to go after accounts that were previously cost-prohibitive to service. I seriously doubt they'll lower prices for any existing accounts. Existing accounts will become more profitable and they will have the ability to add more accounts at profitable levels.

I would love to run into Stoney at my local watering hole, bet he wouldn't run his mouth to anyone on here face to face... SMH

I only have 1 question for you. If concessions were passed Is abf going to pass the savings to the customer?

I believe the reason for the contract changes is to lower ABF's cost structure which has a direct effect on pricing. We get beat out by other carriers that have a lower cost structure and therefore can price lower because the margin of profits is larger. So if pricing is lowered, the customer does receive a benefit and business is gained and everyone is employed.

Once again, ABF has some of the top drivers in the industry for a reason. But there also needs to be give and take in a changing world. We can't remain the same; otherwise we get left behind and die.

Now if we don't use the improved cost structure to lower pricing and go after good profitable customers, then shame on ABF.

Just my $0.02 cents.

I believe the reason for the contract changes is to lower ABF's cost structure which has a direct effect on pricing. We get beat out by other carriers that have a lower cost structure and therefore can price lower because the margin of profits is larger. So if pricing is lowered, the customer does receive a benefit and business is gained and everyone is employed.

Once again, ABF has some of the top drivers in the industry for a reason. But there also needs to be give and take in a changing world. We can't remain the same; otherwise we get left behind and die.

Now if we don't use the improved cost structure to lower pricing and go after good profitable customers, then shame on ABF.

Just my $0.02 cents.

Why would we wanna lower prices? Wouldn't it better to lower cost and keep revenue up?

Just my $0.02 cents.

Thank you for answering. I have heard that they were not going to pass the savings on to the customers.

Thank you for answering. I have heard that they were not going to pass the savings on to the customers.

I think it depends on what one would call passing on savings. If we give away any of profits that this is designed to achieve, why bother. Contrary to popular belief, ABF must continue to profit to be able pay fixed costs. Things are not getting cheaper in our industry such as equipment, buildings and pensions.

Guess should clarify, use pricing opportunities to get additional profitable business that was previously lost due to ABF not being able to price competitively.

Work off margins.

TO LATE ABF JUST RAISED THEIR RATES, IF THEY ARE NOT GOING TO PASS ON THE SAVINGS TO CUSTOMERS, THEN WE ARE NOT GOING TO GAIN ANY MORE MARKET SHARE THEN WE HAVE NOW. IF THIS HAPPENS WHERE IS THE MONEY THEY WILL SAVE BE GOING?

ABF Freight System to Raise Rates 5.9 Percent | JOC

I think it depends on what one would call passing on savings. If we give away any of profits that this is designed to achieve, why bother. Contrary to popular belief, ABF must continue to profit to be able pay fixed costs. Things are not getting cheaper in our industry such as equipment, buildings and pensions.

What do you think is going on with my cost. It keep going up to. Everything keeps rising but my paycheck, and now they want that to.To be a profitable company the employees must be taking care of to or you will have a hard time finding replacement drivers when needed. We are not the highest paid in the industry, and this just drops us down more.

TO LATE ABF JUST RAISED THEIR RATES, IF THEY ARE NOT GOING TO PASS ON THE SAVINGS TO CUSTOMERS, THEN WE ARE NOT GOING TO GAIN ANY MORE MARKET SHARE THEN WE HAVE NOW. IF THIS HAPPENS WHERE IS THE MONEY THEY WILL SAVE BE GOING?

ABF Freight System to Raise Rates 5.9 Percent | JOC

The annual increase in GRI is done by all the big carriers. This effects existing customers and most of these customers are loyal to ABF because of the service provided and like all things, costs go up. If we are able to use the improved cost structure to gain additional customers through pricing opportunities, we will then gain market share. There have been customers that we have given up on because the breakeven point between revenue and cost is in the red. We cannot gain additiional market share through existing customers.

Historically the GRI increase has been accepted by the customers who are familiar with the costs of doing business. It's the good customer's that we have lost, that we need to get back.

Exactly! Good post.

OK, I have thought about it! NO VOTE!
2 years for 1 week and 8 years for 2 weeks of vacation
PTS opening paragragh states, PTS is not intended for other operations ( ie. P & D, Local cartage ) then on line 3 says PTS can make pick ups at ABF customers!
Road Drivers can work yard, no protection for city, yard, 10% or laid off employees!
Change in subcontractor language Art. 32 section 3 opens the door for PTS
Audio, video, and computer tracking device termination without corroboration! Sorry your 10 minute break was actually 12 minutes and we have video proof, your fired!

What do you think is going on with my cost. It keep going up to. Everything keeps rising but my paycheck, and now they want that to.To be a profitable company the employees must be taking care of to or you will have a hard time finding replacement drivers when needed. We are not the highest paid in the industry, and this just drops us down more.

I understand rising costs and not rising pay...been there for awhile, but you also learn like many things there is a market adjustment coming. If your goal is to be the highest paid in the industry, that can be met, but most also want everything else free and no change.

What moral obligations are you talking about?
The current retirees will not be affected by this.
They will just continue to collect.
It is those of us who cannot retire for twenty more years that are screwed.
And anyways I say vote NO
Good luck all.

It probably won't last anyway no matter what we do. The pension fund can say you are locked in after a certain time but they can't pay money they don't have.
If Abf gets bought or drastically downsizes it will have an affect on retirees.