XPO | I have a question for the anti union guys at Conway

No,i'm staying here and i will try hard to get organize. I'm not throwing away my 20+ years of service that easy. Job security is a joke, how employees do see retire from conway compare to union companies. Educated your self boy. You don't sound like a driver being abuse and disrespected by tm and supervisors. Hitting a trash can is an accident what a joke. Those are constructive terminations. Wake=up

No,i'm staying here and i will try hard to get organize. I'm not throwing away my 20+ years of service that easy. Job security is a joke, how employees do see retire from conway compare to union companies. Educated your self boy. You don't sound like a driver being abuse and disrespected by tm and supervisors. Hitting a trash can is an accident what a joke. Those are constructive terminations. Wake=up
Depends which union company you are retiring from...is it the big two or three still in business, or the 500 that went under? As for being abused - I'm not - simply because I don't let myself be abused. I come in, do my job, and go home. As for hitting a trash can, I couldn't agree with you more. If there's no damage and no injury, it shouldn't be counted as an accident.

I want to comment on the trash can incident part; yeah, that is pure BS.
We had a guy do that at our barn, and got charged with a half point. I just want to say, why would you even say anything about hitting a dumpster or trash can?

Also, if you got 20 years, then you must be doing something right.

Depends which union company you are retiring from...is it the big two or three still in business, or the 500 that went under? As for being abused - I'm not - simply because I don't let myself be abused. I come in, do my job, and go home. As for hitting a trash can, I couldn't agree with you more. If there's no damage and no injury, it shouldn't be counted as an accident.
I wish I could say I don't let my leaders abuse me, but I do.
I let them freeze my pension, take a year's worth of vacation, suspend most contributions to my 401k, and severely degrade my health plan.
I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me
What's your secret? Or you don't call that abuse?
Should I talk to my SCM? And then go over his head if not satisfied?

How do I stop this abuse without throwing away many years of service to OUR company?

O.K. in response to Wondering99's post "I have a question for the pro conway union drivers" whay are some of you against going union?

Can anyone here say "Consolidated Freight" ? I think you are the how and the why they crushed the teamsters on labor day ( of all days ) many years ago. It's sad that the unions are more known for helping themselves (to good salaries and benefits) than they are to helping the workers. There are no guarantees one way or the other ... good luck ... choose wisely.

I wish I could say I don't let my leaders abuse me, but I do.
I let them freeze my pension, take a year's worth of vacation, suspend most contributions to my 401k, and severely degrade my health plan.
I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me
What's your secret? Or you don't call that abuse?
Should I talk to my SCM? And then go over his head if not satisfied?

How do I stop this abuse without throwing away many years of service to OUR company?

unionize aaand stop the one-sided abuse

I don't need a stinking union to tell me when to strike and lose money. Unions are for losers. Period. Unions are the reason ( at least in part ) for many of the troubles the country is having and the reason for many a business moving overseas. Have you looked at roadway/yellow freight? How is that union working out for them? Unions suck!

I don't need a stinking union to tell me when to strike and lose money. Unions are for losers. Period. Unions are the reason ( at least in part ) for many of the troubles the country is having and the reason for many a business moving overseas. Have you looked at roadway/yellow freight? How is that union working out for them? Unions suck!

ok,then why does ups frt make $3 more an hr,abf makes more,even non-union make more,fed-ex is top ltl,we're supposedly # 2 by a recent posting,why is our pay on the bottom.yrc isn't the only company out there.AGAIN, yrc bought up too many companies and they couldn't handle it.ask somebody at ups if unions suck.

Yep we were at one time one of the higher paid non u ltl companies with awesome benefits. Thats a thing of the past cause now we are down at the bottom of the barrel with both pay and benefits unless u are on the board or upper mgt. Its a joke and why must they constantly lie to us? Oh wait I know cause most people believe the BS and wont take the time to see if what they say is true or smoke and mirrors. I like my job and work with a great bunch of people for the most part....yes even some FOS's are ok too lol but geez man all this :shit:e they are shoving down our throats is getting old as far as Im concerned

I hear this argument quite often about union company's going out of business. Where did you get that number (500 went under) Did you know that in the recession of 2009 over 2000 trucking companies went out of business and that most were non union. So this argument is not a good example with the current recession in place.

Wow! That's a pretty sad statement. (Unions are for losers) I will just chalk that up to your age, after all, sounds like a statement from a teenager.

Georgiafan said:

I don't understand this at all. I know very little about organized labor but I'm trying to learn so I can make what I feel is an informed decision. All the stuff Conway spews about the union isn't nessacerally the gospel.

Unions had their place - anyone who drives today (even non-union and O/O) has a lot to thank them for as far as working conditions, decent equipment, decent rate of pay, etc. The problem is they've been plagued with corruption and greed for years. And there's nothing a union can get you that you can't get for yourself if it's fair and equitable and the company can afford to do it - and keep profits rolling in for the shareholders. Yes, I agree - our medical is substandard. But I blame that on the government as a whole for letting the insurance companies get out of hand, not the company. As for pay...with the average Con-way linehaul DSR making $70k plus (this is the company's own numbers) - I have a hard time listening to the "waaah I'm underpaid" crowd. I've seen drivers in my barn over $95,000 last year. Yes - if you worked here less that 5 years, you make less - but that's what you were told on the day you were hired. 5 years = top pay. And you signed on. Don't complain you're making less than top rate after 3 years.

I don't understand this at all. I know very little about organized labor but I'm trying to learn so I can make what I feel is an informed decision. All the stuff Conway spews about the union isn't nessacerally the gospel.

I cannot speak for Georgiafan, but my dislike for organized labor started long before I ever worked for Conway. I had a choice when I hired in, Conway or Holland and once I learned Holland was union, I came here. I have yet to see anti-union spew at my terminal.

I cannot speak for Georgiafan, but my dislike for organized labor started long before I ever worked for Conway. I had a choice when I hired in, Conway or Holland and once I learned Holland was union, I came here. I have yet to see anti-union spew at my terminal.

You must not have been around very long to have just learned that Holland is Union when you hired on here. Did Conway tell you anything that did not hold to be true?

Hey plopplop I don't know about you but when I started at CON-WAY all the union guy's that I talked to said the same thing yea your bennies are ok now but wait till they get the company rolling along then they will start taking things away lo and behold look who was right and who was a liar and that was almost 20 yrs ago.

this is the kid that got his head stuffed in a toilet and just walked away with his head down

This is exactly the type that questions every decision that is made. He knows just how stupid that via was or why it is a waste of time to load a van instead of a pup. He will spend hours on the radio telling everybody how overpaid management is screwing us over. why it sucks that we are governed at 62 and only jerks would buy Sterling's.Give him a break, Momma can,t coddle everybody.

Georgiafan said:

Yep u are right they do suck. Removal of hostile work environment,, better pay,better health ins etc. A friend of mine who is a road driver for yrc said in the 12 years he's been there not one single person has said a harsh word to him or anyone else he's been in earshot of. He loves his job and I can't blame him with the kind of money he's making and his benefits. Oh well I guess we will continue to just take the abuse and except the scraps mgmt sees fit to ration out. Why were we one of the higher paid better benefit ltl's a few years ago but we are near the bottom now? Apparently we aren't worthy of cola's and better benefits.

Unions working out great for YRC. They agreed to the concessions to keep the company afloat for bad management decisions. They work as a team. With the paycut they took, they still are makin more money than us with their overtime after 8, and zero dollars for heath insurance... and not only that, they dont get a strike for not chalking a trailer tire or running over a dock bumper... Conway sucks!!!!!!!