XPO | I have a question for the pro conway union drivers

some retired, some went to work for another union co. to keep building their pension, some went to work for non-union co., some got out all together. My dad retired at age 51 with 30 yrs in and is still drawing $3000/month 10 years later. He worked for one of the small cos. that went out due to deregulation.

Greetings elvis how ya been? 16 years. LTL since 2001. Was GI Trucking a victim of deregulation? We can go round and round about this and you and I both will agree that the demise of GI was a greedy self absorbed "christian man with old southern money from vaginny". Trucking was regulated until 78. I was 10. Yea you got me there, I did not experience it. The history of it is on the world wide web. I read about it. Slowly these companies closed or were bought because they could not monopolize these territories anymore and name their own price hauling freight. Monopolization was against the free enterprise system .. that was the main voice behind this according to what I read. It created competition. The strong survived. And now the strong is week because of poor choices on both ends. Management and the Union. I could go on and on but I do not want to bore anyone with the facts and my opinions .. and I dont need my posts twisted for someone elses benefit. Elvis .. we have had a history on here. I do believe there never was any hard feelings. Thanks for asking and being respectful. Regards w99
Greetings to you as well, 99. And I have been just fine. Thanks for asking. I hope you are doing the same. Oh, how times have changed in the wonderful, wacky, world of transportation. If someone would have told me, back when I started this career, that one day we would all have access to a network where we could instantly rant, rave, and vent our frustrations with anyone, anywhere in the world,at any given moment, I would have said they were nuttier than a snickers bar. And if they would have told me that in the not so distant future, the ltl trucking industry would be racing to the bottom with no end in site, I would have thought they were even crazier. But it is here, and it is real. Now what do we do? Anyway, absolutely no hard feelings on this end. There is something I have learned over the years. When you are passionate about your beliefs, whatever they may be, you feel as if there is no way you could be wrong. When you feel that deep about religion, politics, unionism, human rights, patriotism or whatever, there is a feeling inside of you that does not want to waver from that ideology. It is almost like you want to shake someone into feeling what you feel. That is not important to me anymore. I know that when people are tired of getting kicked in the teethe they will seek relief. Whether that be with the Teamsters or any other union is entirely up to them. When the bottom completely drops out,and it will, nothing pro union guys like me, or anti union guys like idgarrit will be able to say that will make a difference. Good luck conway employees. Sincerely Teamster Elvis out....

is not about how many union trucking companies still around this days. it's about us the employees trying to keep our jobs from being fire for any little reason.for those who Demonized unions you have to be in management, i been with conway for almost 25yrs and it's not getting any better, if some of you guys are afraid of loosing your job because we decide to get organize i got news for you, we have been loosing our jobs for the last 10 yrs.

is not about how many union trucking companies still around this days. it's about us the employees trying to keep our jobs from being fire for any little reason.for those who Demonized unions you have to be in management, i been with conway for almost 25yrs and it's not getting any better, if some of you guys are afraid of loosing your job because we decide to get organize i got news for you, we have been loosing our jobs for the last 10 yrs.
well said pumpkinsocks

Well Consolidated Freight is the Union Company that we killed. That's how they came up with the Con-Way. AKA It's Consolidated Way.

Con-way didn't kill CF. CF's management did. Con-way took all of cf's debts and left them oweing nothing and they still went under. yes, we all know that the name con-way came from consolidated freightways.

you might want to rethink what you say. not everyone who is against unions is in management. last time i checked i crawl into a truck everyday and run my p&d route.

Once again I am just visiting your forum.
However I will offer my opinion on this topic as a 45 year LTL city driver.

First our U.S. government is the real culprit for killing the LTL trucking industry,before deregulation of the industry I believe there were approximately 3500 union LTL company.
After the industry was deregulated by our government supposable to offer equal employment opportunities for all U.S. truckers.
Before the government stepped in to do this deed the industry was regulated,where trucking companies owned the rights to haul their freight in the lanes they had rights to run.
However after deregulation,anybody could purchase a Semi,and haul any commodity in any direction they so desired.

This is when the big three LTL's Yellow,Roadway,and Consolidated Freightways,agreed together with the bright idea of discounting the freight rates,to gain most of the LTL business.
The smaller LTL's couldn't survive on the discounts,so they started dropping out of the industry.

Now most of these that were closing up,the main reason stated for the majority was poor management.
The higher ups in a lot of these companies were so used to how the industry ran during the regulated years,they couldn't change their way of doing business.
So they just closed up,with a lot of the owners,and upper management running away with all they could,with no regard for their employees.

I worked full time for 2 that are history,and casual for 9 other union LTL's who are also no longer in business.
I had the chance of hiring on with Overnite when they first started their Rochester, NY operation.
And worked till I retired in 2008,just as they were voting the union in.

Now you know the history of LTL the way I remember it,working for just over 20 years as a Teamster,and 25 years non-union.
I will admit some of the working conditions on the non-union side were better,but only because the wages and benefits were lower.
However having representation from the union was better than just being a number on the payroll of a non-union company.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am not in management. Nor do I feel like I have been persecuted by Con-way either. For me, it's real simple. It's Con-way's house and it's their rules. No one is forcing me to work here. I knew what I was getting into when I signed up, and I know where the door is if I ever feel that I don't like it. I do not go into my neighbor's home and tell them how to run their household and I will not do it where I work either.

To say that people who do not want the Teamsters at Con-way are all management is no different than saying that all poor people are Democrats or all rich people are Republicans.

I was brought by jerry detterand dave miller to believe I had ownership in this company. So to put it in your terms if I had time money and sweat equity built up in my neighbors house and hey were destroying it I would make their behavior change. I will not stand idle and watch my investment go down the toilet.

I was brought by jerry detterand dave miller to believe I had ownership in this company. So to put it in your terms if I had time money and sweat equity built up in my neighbors house and hey were destroying it I would make their behavior change. I will not stand idle and watch my investment go down the toilet.

You guys want to talk about broken promises. How about the promises our politicians took to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States? What's happening to our company is no different than what is happening to every other company in the U.S. right now. We, us and our company, are all suffering from the bad decision making made by promise breaking politicians who we helped elect.

I think it's safe to say that when Jerry D. and Dave M. were in charge, that they never saw this new breed of worthless, selfish, power greedy politicians coming into office. He could not have predicted the state of the union and of it's businesses any better than you or I. Holding the company responsible for things said by individuals years ago, IMO, is not helping resolve the situation we face now, and is not a good enough reason to organize as there are some things happening to us that our out of our control until the next election.

I know I'm not going to change your mind or the minds of the others who think a union will solve their financial problems, but I feel compelled to say it all the same.

I vote to right the wrong, and I stand up when necessary your board voted themselves a raise times must not be to tough. As far as financially, money is not the only wrong that needs righted.

I am not in management. Nor do I feel like I have been persecuted by Con-way either. For me, it's real simple. It's Con-way's house and it's their rules. No one is forcing me to work here. I knew what I was getting into when I signed up, and I know where the door is if I ever feel that I don't like it. I do not go into my neighbor's home and tell them how to run their household and I will not do it where I work either.

To say that people who do not want the Teamsters at Con-way are all management is no different than saying that all poor people are Democrats or all rich people are Republicans.

This is not my neighbors house. But if it was my neighbor that reneged on a deal, I would feel compelled to make it right. Conversely, I would treat my neighbor like I would like to be treated.

And to try and divert focus to our politicians is lame.

what do you mean by you knew what you were getting into ?? i have never felt persecuted by this company. i think you and i have the same feelings reguarding a union compnay. i knew it going in and never ever thought i would be on the fence reguarding this issue. i never expeced to become rich here but felt that if i held up my end of the bargain they would too.i understand some of the cuts and hope soon we can at least get some sort of cost of living raise...p.s. nice flag...just kidding.

This is not my neighbors house. But if it was my neighbor that reneged on a deal, I would feel compelled to make it right. Conversely, I would treat my neighbor like I would like to be treated.

And to try and divert focus to our politicians is lame.

Ok, you do not agree with the neighbors house analogy, fine. But I will not come off my position of placing a large portion of blame for the economic problems our nation faces squarely on the backs of bad law and bad policy dating back to the 30s, starting with tstatutehe New Deal. Our federal govt through statute has been allowed to grow at such a high rate, that it sucks nearly 25 percent of the nations wealth out of the private sector. I am
telling you, blaming conway is not the answer.

sorry, your vague conservative opinions are no excuse for the REALITY of you guys needing and wanting a union. if you want to discuss politics, there is a forum for that. last i knew, a union contract has nothing to do with political ideology, and everything to do with getting everything you have currently locked into place, and moving forward on issues that you want to negotiate one.

Ok, you do not agree with the neighbors house analogy, fine. But I will not come off my position of placing a large portion of blame for the economic problems our nation faces squarely on the backs of bad law and bad policy dating back to the 30s, starting with tstatutehe New Deal. Our federal govt through statute has been allowed to grow at such a high rate, that it sucks nearly 25 percent of the nations wealth out of the private sector. I am

Maybe astrology, numerology, the Jewish faith, or lunar phases can play into this too. Work it in and let us again know why our leaders are given a pass and should not be held accountable for their own, very deliberate actions.

Blaming Conway for the FACT that we have not been given a raise for 3 years,for the FACT that they are getting over on us by shifting more and more of the cost health insurance to us, and for the FACT that even though we made 20 million dollars last quarter we cannot have our 401k match back with the extra for the loss of our pension while the BOD gets a pay raise seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't know what the Feds have to do with any of that.

Seriously, do you HONESTLY think this company is going to give you,me,or any other driver anything if they think they can get away with not giving it???

as everybody is telling you that's a lame excuse fior voting yourselves a RAISE and stickin TO YOUR WORKERS FOR 3 YEARS,BLAH BLAH BLAH...........................

sorry, your vague conservative opinions are no excuse for the REALITY of you guys needing and wanting a union. if you want to discuss politics, there is a forum for that. last i knew, a union contract has nothing to do with political ideology, and everything to do with getting everything you have currently locked into place, and moving forward on issues that you want to negotiate one.

I'm not talking about politics, I'm talking about POLICY, both monetary and economic, and it's bad policy from federal legislatures and bad regulation from the executive branch which has gotten not only us, but our fellow citizens, our company, and every company in the United States into the economic mess we're in right now. The reality is that going union serves only to treat a sympton of a much larger illness that I call "broken economy syndrome." I'll say it again, BLAMING CONWAY IS NOT THE ANSWER.

as everybody is telling you that's a lame excuse fior voting yourselves a RAISE and stickin TO YOUR WORKERS FOR 3 YEARS,BLAH BLAH BLAH...........................

Once again, I'm being accused of wearing a white shirt. I'm not management, I wouldn't make it as manager at Con-way because I do not have the patience to put up with drivers sniveling about how bad the company is ran or how stupid the dispatchers are because a DSR sees another city truck going to the same place they just came from, or whatever other lame crap drivers like to complain about.

Last edited by a moderator: