XPO | I have a question for the pro conway union drivers

Blaming Conway for the FACT that we have not been given a raise for 3 years,for the FACT that they are getting over on us by shifting more and more of the cost health insurance to us, and for the FACT that even though we made 20 million dollars last quarter we cannot have our 401k match back with the extra for the loss of our pension while the BOD gets a pay raise seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't know what the Feds have to do with any of that.

Seriously, do you HONESTLY think this company is going to give you,me,or any other driver anything if they think they can get away with not giving it???

To answer your question. First off, I do not think the company sees depriving us of raises and a 401k match as something "the can get away with" To say that implies that our company is simply greedy, which I think is wrong. If that were true, then I doubt this company would have ever risen to the status it once had as the best non-union LTL. Secondly, I think our raises and 401k match will be restored when two thing happen. The company sees a sustained O/R sufficient enough to generate adequate liquidity going forward and they figure out what's going to happen to the price of providing healthcare insurance beyond 2014. I'm telling you, you're blaming the wrong people. Now let me ask you a question.

Do you HONESTLY think this company wanted to take away things over the years knowing that someday they may have to face what's going on right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you HONESTLY think this company wanted to take away things over the years knowing that someday they may have to face what's going on right now?

YES, I honestly think this company wants to take things away. I think the people that are runnning the show CARE ABOUT 1 THING, the STOCK PRICE. Thats it, the higher the stock price, the more coin in there pockets. The company is not greedy, the corperation is not greedy, the people who run it ARE. As far as whats going on right now, I don't know that the GREEDY CORPERATE PIGGIES care one way or another right now. The success of the rebellion at XCO is not guaranteed success and even if it does, there is no guarantee that any other barns will reject the DARK SIDE of the force. We can only hope that they do.

Unchecked greed and avarice will destroy this outfit,the people in charge will suck out all the cash they can until the ATM does not have any more money in it.There is NOTHING any of us can do about that but pray for success in the future.

Yes, they did see this coming. Back in 2009 all FOS, SCM and Personell had to attend an 8 hour seminar on how to deal with potential organization efforts. Although I am no longer with the company, I remember the seminar and what their response will be. Good luck guys, I always felt you're efforts were under appreciated.

Go over to the truckingboard boneyard and tell me where are all these past union carriers and tell us what there demise was. I am curious to here your views on this.

PS... (I am not management)

Any corporation is vulnerable to ignorant decisions by management union or not. Just remember that whole truckload on ltl debacle our previous administration came up with.

Yes, they did see this coming. Back in 2009 all FOS, SCM and Personell had to attend an 8 hour seminar on how to deal with potential organization efforts. Although I am no longer with the company, I remember the seminar and what their response will be. Good luck guys, I always felt you're efforts were under appreciated.

Please do share with us the 2009 response and how they intend to handle this.

Once again I am going to share my opinion of how I see it as an onlooker,a visitor to your forum,with nothing to gain either way.

However before I retired from LTL I do remember when Conway was the best paying LTL in the industry.
I was even thinking about applying for a city driving job with the Rochester NY terminal when they first came into town.

I don't know how they are paying their employees now days?
I do remember that the hourly pay,for city drivers and dockworkers was a bit more than what the union was paying under the National Master Freight Agreement, they also were giving a yearly bonus according to the company's operating ratio.

Here is my 2 cents that I don't know any trucking business who is operating for a hobby,most all of them have stock holders who are interested in seeing a profit on their investment.

As we all know the United States economy has really tanked,and the cost of doing business is not getting any cheaper.

Back in the day,the early years of LTL when business was booming,if a trucking company was operating at around 98,or 99% even making as little as a penny on the dollars spent to operate they were doing good.

I worked as a city driver for 15 different companies over the 45 years I had in trucking,and every one of them are out of business.

When a company has an operating cost of anything over a dollar to make a dollar,you know it is just a matter of time till they will go under.
So it really may not be that Conway is being greedy by stiffing their employees,they maybe really struggling to stay in business, during this current economy.

Anyway there it is my opinion,for what it is worth, this is the way I see it,given my many years in the LTL industry.
Take it or leave it,you won't hurt my feelings either way.

The union companys that are in trouble like yellow for instance have only themselves to blame for buying up a company like roadway who was a crap outfit to begin with.............management controls these companys not the drivers so open your eyes for godsake unions are not to blame and no raise, no pension and poor medical equal union for conway if you have any common sense.......

Nice first post. It's a shame you had to waste it on a thread that's over THREE years old...... :nutkick: :chairshot:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not talking about politics, I'm talking about POLICY, both monetary and economic, and it's bad policy from federal legislatures and bad regulation from the executive branch which has gotten not only us, but our fellow citizens, our company, and every company in the United States into the economic mess we're in right now. The reality is that going union serves only to treat a sympton of a much larger illness that I call "broken economy syndrome." I'll say it again, BLAMING CONWAY IS NOT THE ANSWER.

What about the bad policies here at conway there's a policy for everything anymore do we have a say in that??

Go over to the truckingboard boneyard and tell me where are all these past union carriers and tell us what there demise was. I am curious to here your views on this.
PS... (I am not management)
I do not think it's possible to blame any one factor for the demise of past carriers, union and non-union alike. But if we look at where the country is now, vs where it was in 2007, we are in pretty bad shape. When a man works for the same company for awhile, gets into a routine, pays his bills, takes vacations, you know, lives his life, it's sometimes difficult for that man to see the chaos occuring around him at other employers. Why does our company do what they do, one possible answer is that they do stuff to **** off drivrs, to control us, or because they're just greedy. There is another answer out there to, but see this answer requires men to take time from their routine and educate themselves about the economy, political leaders, and who the decisions made by political masterminds affects not just our company, but all companies doing business in the United States. To make this short, I take a long view on what's happening to us and it's happening everywhere, our company is doing the things it does for one primary reason....to hang on, to stay profitable, to comply with ridiculous govt regulations in order to avoid fines and penalties. Since 2007, millions of people have lost their jobs because their companies couldn't not do business in the toxic environment created by our current crop of politicians and those businesses aren't coming back. The pool of freight is shrinking, the money pie is shrinking. The wages and benefits that unions negotiate for their employees exist only because the company is profitable above a certain level. I see alot of pro union posters in here talking about corporate greed, perhaps it is they who are greedy, worrying more about themselves than the over all success of the company they work for. If the company ship sinks, we all go down with it.

Here I am once again as a visitor to this forum.
With my opinion.
The way I see what happened to the LTL trucking industry.
The major issue that has,really hurt the industry,is the freight revenue discounting.

What got the ball rolling allowing discounts was when our government deregulated the trucking trucking.
Before deregulations, LTL companies owned the rights to specific lanes,highway routes to haul their freight.

When the government deregulated the industry,they had allowed free for all,where anyone could purchase a truck,& run down any road they wanted.

When that system kicked in,I believe the large LTL's got together & conspired to discount the current freight rates of that day.
Those companies were the big three which were Roadway the largest,Yellow second & Consolidated Freightways.

The companies knew a lot of the rest of the current LTL's had high operating cost & discounts would force them out of business.
Which is exactly what happened,the big three knew it would lower the compitician to transport American goods,& , they would get most of the pie.

Well little did they know at that point in time that practices would come back to bite them.

Bet you young ones in the industry didn't know there were around 3500 union LTL's before deregulation,some marginal,just getting by, with others making a pretty good profit.

Deregulation happened around 1980-81, say 25 years ago,that out of the approx.,3500 union LTL's then,now here 25 years later how many are left?

With the discounts getting deeper & deeper companies started dropping out,that had been in business since the early 1900's.

Seems I remember that Consolidated Freightway started Conway a non-union LTL,to faze out their union operation & stay in business.
Before retiring,I was working for Overnite, I remember going to businesses in my area & seeing CF,& Conway at the docks side by side picking up LTL shipments.
First it was CF getting loads of pallets with Conway just picking up a few,after a short time it was the other way around.

Till CF closed their doors,& Conway Freight continued on.
At that time working for Conway was better, other than the Teamsters pension,as far as wages,with a bonus.
However I think they did have a 401-k for their retirement.

I retired from trucking in 2007 so I lost track of what is going on with LTL,outside of the this trucking message board.
Well then as Paul Harvey used to say,& now you know the rest of the story.

sorry, your vague conservative opinions are no excuse for the REALITY of you guys needing and wanting a union. if you want to discuss politics, there is a forum for that. last i knew, a union contract has nothing to do with political ideology, and everything to do with getting everything you have currently locked into place, and moving forward on issues that you want to negotiate one.

So if I want to talk politics, I can't do it hear? I think they have a union forum too but I don't see anyone telling you to go there.

My biggest issues with the union is that they back bad candidates. I got the obama pill shoved down my throat and I am not happy about that. The union backed him. That my friend is my biggest issue with the union. I have said many time before that if the union were to be neutral and not get into the politics game, there would be a lot more people for them. I don't like that turd sandwich I have been served and the union backs the maker of turd sandwiches. A lot of politicians lately are rotten to the core and guess what, the union backed them. What does that say about union management? Can they be trusted? I am just saying that if you don't want to smell like crap, don't lay in a corral.

I know I am going to catch grief about this but, this is how I feel and I have a right to my opinion.

So if I want to talk politics, I can't do it hear? I think they have a union forum too but I don't see anyone telling you to go there.

My biggest issues with the union is that they back bad candidates. I got the obama pill shoved down my throat and I am not happy about that. The union backed him. That my friend is my biggest issue with the union. I have said many time before that if the union were to be neutral and not get into the politics game, there would be a lot more people for them. I don't like that turd sandwich I have been served and the union backs the maker of turd sandwiches. A lot of politicians lately are rotten to the core and guess what, the union backed them. What does that say about union management? Can they be trusted? I am just saying that if you don't want to smell like crap, don't lay in a corral.
I know I am going to catch grief about this but, this is how I feel and I have a right to my opinion.
Tell us what you really think of Obama.

So what about the economy choking turds big business has backed? Does that fall onto the union's shoulders also?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

So what about the economy choking turds big business has backed? Does that fall onto the union's shoulders also?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I suppose you must be talking about Bush, Reagan and so on. I know, I know, Everything that is wrong with this current administration is Bush's fault. obummer has made that clear many times. Do you really think that the current administration is doing a good job? I would like an answer to that from anyone. I hope and pray that we get another Reagan some day.

I like how you can twist it around though. I am not saying that everything is the unions fault. I am not saying every republican was a good president. There have been a whole lot of bad presidents back by the union though and not just presidents. The House and Congress are full of union backed politicians that are hell bent to take away our rights and freedoms. Sorry, but I am not ready to give up my rights.