Yellow | IBT Approves YRC Cameras in all Trucks

And you know how they drive, good or bad, how ? Are you a YRC sleeper driver? I belive they would be the only ones with first hand knowledge on that subject. Most of the opinions on this site come from people who don't actively working for YRC but have all the answers. IMO
I see YRC trucks all the time. I share the road with them alongside many other drivers from many other carriers. You don't have to be in the cab to observe how a driver navigates the road. You just have to be observant. And while the odd YRC driver I've encountered drives like a cowboy, the vast majority of YRC trucks I've shared space with have been more courteous and safe about it than most drivers are today.

Every YRC, Reimer and Holland truck I've seen in total, as an experience, lead me to believe that the average union driver is not only a good driver, but one who shows respect for their fellow drivers, union or not. I've come to anticipate that behavior when I see YRC on the door, and I am rarely disappointed.

I see YRC trucks all the time. I share the road with them alongside many other drivers from many other carriers. You don't have to be in the cab to observe how a driver navigates the road. You just have to be observant. And while the odd YRC driver I've encountered drives like a cowboy, the vast majority of YRC trucks I've shared space with have been more courteous and safe about it than most drivers are today.

Every YRC, Reimer and Holland truck I've seen in total, as an experience, lead me to believe that the average union driver is not only a good driver, but one who shows respect for their fellow drivers, union or not. I've come to anticipate that behavior when I see YRC on the door, and I am rarely disappointed.

Yes well if you've seen a couple of them going down the road, I guess that qualifies you to base your assumption of their professionalism on. Your right. My bad. But if you really want to experience the professionalism run sleepers out of 309 that's a level of professionalism I will never forget all the days of my life.

Last edited:
Yes well if you've seen a couple of them going down the road, I guess that qualifies you to base your assumption of their professionalism on. Your right. My bad. But if you really want to experience the professionalism run sleepers out of 309 that's a level of professionalism I will never forget all the days of my life.
There's a vast difference between what you're talking about versus what you claim to be talking about. Safety and professional courtesy to other drivers on the road are a lot more relevant to the topic at hand than spending a week in a sleeper cab living with another driver.

If you want to grouse about how much being a sleeper cab driver sucked because of sharing a cramped space with another man, find a more relevant topic.

There's a vast difference between what you're talking about versus what you claim to be talking about. Safety and professional courtesy to other drivers on the road are a lot more relevant to the topic at hand than spending a week in a sleeper cab living with another driver.

If you want to grouse about how much being a sleeper cab driver sucked because of sharing a cramped space with another man, find a more relevant topic.
The people complaining the most about these cameras in the trucks are generally the ones that complain about what this company does everyday... They usually do everything but what they are told to do...

Thank you for your comments.
I too think the majority of yrc drivers are good people and are safety conscience.
I think if the employees were recognized by the company with the same type of compliments and acknowledged for being courteous and safe on the job it would go a long way to boost morale.
We do not get the safety training refresher courses that we use to. Nor are there any safety incentive programs in place.
Most of us feel we are doin a good job everyday. But we become complacent in our day to day activities and don't think much about safety and courtesy.
Nice to finally hear something good!

Most of the people who are not employed at YRC know the most about the company and how to fix it. Drink up :heykoolaid:
Did I profess to know how to fix the company anywhere in what I said?

For such an opinionated person, you can't seem to decide if you want the company to survive or not. Do you have any ideas on how to make things better? Your opinion of your fellow Teamsters seems to suggest that you think the drivers are a big part of the problem.

I don't have all the answers. Do you?

Did I profess to know how to fix the company anywhere in what I said?

For such an opinionated person, you can't seem to decide if you want the company to survive or not. Do you have any ideas on how to make things better? Your opinion of your fellow Teamsters seems to suggest that you think the drivers are a big part of the problem.

I don't have all the answers. Do you?

I don't think any reasonable person would expect you to have the answers on how to fix a company where you are not employed, and especially since (according to you) most of your knowledge about that company comes from you seeing a couple YRC trucks rolling down the road.:heykoolaid:

I don't think any reasonable person would expect you to have the answers on how to fix a company where you are not employed, and especially since (according to you) most of your knowledge about that company comes from you seeing a couple YRC trucks rolling down the road.:heykoolaid:
My knowledge of the company comes from more than just that. The company's profile is publicly available, and I've talked to drivers at different times (truck stops, fuel stops, border crossings) in person as well as on here.

I tried to get a job at Reimer, YRC's Canadian company, running linehaul. I sent emails and left phone messages. Never got a call, even after submitting an application at the terminal in Mississauga.

I have seen a YRC trucker with less than one second following distance, one foot up on the dash, a cigarette in one hand, and a cell phone in the other. If there had been cameras installed I don't think he would have been doing those things. Obviously didn't have much sense, so maybe he would still do it.

The IBT Freight Division has given the green light to YRC to install front-facing cameras in all tractors to record events such as swerves, speeding, and hard braking.
Part of a comment, Had one tonight with a camera, now we have pretty red led lights going off to go along with the buzzers and beep....

My company has been in the camera/ radar avoidance system for the last few years. This is how it works. According to the commenter and the article, the YRC camera system comes with buzzers, beeps, and records events such as swerves, speeding, and the worst, hard braking. How does the system know when to buzz, beep, and record? By using radar or something like it, The system can tell if you drive over the left side lane marker strip, solid or broken line doesn't matter, before a left turn signal has been activated. It will alert you with a buzzer or beep but not both. If you cross the right side lane marker, without using a right turn signal, then you will get the other warning. If you follow too close, the radar or whatever, will activate the camera, record the incident, and upload the video for coaching or discipline. Also, the system may have the ability to brake itself if you are too close to the vehicle in front of you, all the while recording the entire incident. Usually, the first hint of a problem is when you are called into the office, shown the video(s), and asked for an explanation. It really makes for a long and noisy ride.

Regardless of how good you think that you drive, watch how many times that you creep over the line. Whether it's left, right, or too close, according to the system, hear the warning gizmos go off, and know that the system is keeping track and filing an electronic report that you will never see until you are called in for coaching or worse.

Regardless of how good you think that you drive, watch how many times that you creep over the line. Whether it's left, right, or too close, according to the system, hear the warning gizmos go off, and know that the system is keeping track and filing an electronic report that you will never see until you are called in for coaching or worse.
The system does not work along with the guidance system the coaching is done by fellow driver's and no dissaplin. Ihad one last with a new driver at the wheel camera didn't activate atall

At some point, your new driver crossed a lane line. Did the system beep or buzz at you? If not, then that truck system is not working. All I can say is if you trust that the trainer is the only one looking at the reports and videos, then good luck to you. Does it make any sense that YRC would spend millions to install these systems and not have a corporate guy looking to weed out bad risk drivers?

http://www.lytx.com/our-solutions/activevision

DSdFL6O.jpg

I have seen a YRC trucker with less than one second following distance, one foot up on the dash, a cigarette in one hand, and a cell phone in the other. If there had been cameras installed I don't think he would have been doing those things. Obviously didn't have much sense, so maybe he would still do it.

So which hand was on steering wheel? The other foot?

Must've been a pretty talented driver to be right up on another vehicle's bumper while doing all of those things!

http://www.tdu.org/ibt_approves_yrc_cameras_in_all_trucks

986cin0.jpg

BT Freight Director Tyson Johnson, in a December 3 memo, states that the intent is “solely to reduce accidents” and “will likely serve to exonerate both the drivers and the company from many accidents.”
We hope so. That would be a win-win. But many Teamsters are concerned that technology that starts out as a win-win can end up as a win-lose, with another tool to fire drivers.

If we could count on a strong Freight Division and grievance procedure, we would cheer this on. Since we cannot count on that from the Hoffa administration, we urge drivers to be vigilant.

:452:
Should be making them pay on 109 million they owe the pension

At some point, your new driver crossed a lane line. Did the system beep or buzz at you? If not, then that truck system is not working. All I can say is if you trust that the trainer is the only one looking at the reports and videos, then good luck to you. Does it make any sense that YRC would spend millions to install these systems and not have a corporate guy looking to weed out bad risk drivers?

Read article they can't use recordings to discipline us. They have a track record of wasting millions.