TForce | If UPS does buy ABF would we end tail,or dove tail?

I asked that question to a local official here and he said that what happened at ABF-Carolina would never happen again because the launguage in the contract was changed to prevent that from happening again.. If I remember right, some ABF employees file siut in court and they lost because of that language. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. The way it was explained to me, that once we become teamsters, any new purchase and those employess would go to the bottom, even if they were current taemsters. Correct me if I'm wrong. T-251, you would be the one to answer this.Thanks

During the ABF Carolina merger the language was different but at the same time the process by which the sale, merger, transfer, or buyout was determined differed by langusge in the purchase making a gray area. The IBT, If I remember correctly ruled that the list had to be dovetailed.
The big sticking point was that most of the Carolina guys had more senoirity tahn the ABF guys in many areas. ABF had not been around as long as Carolina had been in some areas. Many complained that becuase the ABF name was being retained and the Carolina name was being abolished that the ABF guys should of had super seniority over Carolina guys.
It created a very bad situation between the employees.
In my area alone Carolina had close to 30 men on the list. ABF had 12.
ABF closed their operation at the smaller termial and moverd to Carlina recently built, much larger terminal.
The Carolina sign came down and the ABF sign went up.
The bottom three ABF guys were laid off after the merged and were never called back. The five year call back expiered before they were even needed.
80% of the Carolina men went on before the ABF guys in seniority.
Huge problems, fights, pin pulling, name calling, and down right brutal treatment amongst brothers followed.
This was just at one terminal I was asociated with.
The same things went on at just about every termianl that combined operations and lists.

Future langauge corrected this.

I lived it first hand within RedStar.

Mercury Distribtion (non union) was purchased and no jobs were offered.

Valerie Trans was bid on in Bankruptcy court and the court awarded RedStar the bid (even it being lowerr than G.O.D.)becuase union jobs were going to be saved and transfered to the winning company, G O D didn't offer job protection.
Before the purchased could be finalized the IBT had to okay the merger, sale, buyout or waht ever it was detrermined to be.
The IBT decide that becuase of the longevity of RedStar's presents endtailling in seniority was the only solution.
The same was determined when RedStar bought out CBL. They were entailed and offered a sweet 2 for 1 pension plan for all years served at CBL.

I think you will find that in a case like this because of the lack of UPSF being union and the fact that in all essence it's a newly established dviision of UPS taht it may come down to dovetailing based on the fact that ABF has long beeen union, would have been purchased by a union corp and wold be consolidated with a newly establish or non established union company.

Now let me say this,

This is only my educated guess as to what would happen. Please do not take anything I say on this subject as "My Final Answer".

Again all these rumors are pure specualtion and just rumors, please people don't start jumping off bridges or let these rumors sway your decisions toward or against the union in future choices.

T251

In 2006 there were five attempts, yes I said five. To buy ABF, they were from UPS and YRCW. All attempts failed.

My first LTL trucking company was a union company Eazor Express.
I hired on with them in 1966,in 1967 they bought out another union LTL called Daniels Motor Lines.
They didn't have a terminal in Rochester,but they did in other areas of Eazor.
There terminals were closed down.
The Teamster language back than was dove tailing.

Well in just a few weeks after everyone started the process,we were in a wild cat walk out.
There was a big revolt amoung all the workers that were getting kicked out because they didn't have enough time to keep their jobs.

One of Eazors terminals had all the windows broken,one terminal was burned.
A lot of cut tires,and loads shot up.
The walk out lasted just over two months.

I went to St.Johnsbury to work as a casual.
I had a real bad accident,and was fired with no hope of getting anymore work with them.

I went to Halls Motor Transit the next day,and was there untill they closed up their operation in 1986.

But Eazor finally got back to work after the smoke was setteled,they went out of business just after deregulation in 1980.
I remember my TM at Eazor said we better not work anymore till the walk out was over,we may be shot at if we were seen in an Eazor truck.

I hope this is just an empty rumor.
Because dove tailing is not good,for either the ones being bought,or the ones doing the buying.

TOXIC your the man!!!
Where did you find this out?

Oh who cares it sounds like music to my ears.

So this trucking news story was just that a story.
It works for me.
Way to go TOXIC

ok how about this theory, stolen from fedex and yrc. upsf (overnite and motor cargo) are upsf regional, and abf could be known as upsf national. the current upsf gets their teamsters contract, ups buys abf, and negotiate the same deal. we'll have to wait and see i guess.

Really guys this happened. I can't find the information on this now. But HillbillyFrog can back me up. They told there employees that.

ok how about this theory, stolen from fedex and yrc. upsf (overnite and motor cargo) are upsf regional, and abf could be known as upsf national. the current upsf gets their teamsters contract, ups buys abf, and negotiate the same deal. we'll have to wait and see i guess.

I was reading the whole thread weaiting to see if someone mentioned this exact thought. If I hadn't found it, I would have mentioned this as a logical approach to another ltl acquisition. Since it already was mentioned , I guess I can only agree.

This makes total sense, just like the Fedex purchase of Watkins, now Fedex national, and the breakdown of the YRC companies between regional and longhaul. This would probably lead to a favorable contract situation, since how could UPS offer one company less in a contract than another company under their umbrella, for doing the same work?

Thats it than TOXIC if they told all of their employees,than its got to be the truth?

Something tells me this new findings you've posted has a few holes in it,if its coming from ABF themselves?

Does anyone whole trust the company they are working for to be totally up front with all of their future plans?

Thats it than TOXIC if they told all of their employees,than its got to be the truth?

Something tells me this new findings you've posted has a few holes in it,if its coming from ABF themselves?

Does anyone whole trust the company they are working for to be totally up front with all of their future plans?

NO!!!! We are all nothing but tiny little replacable numbers. These big companys have only one thing in mind. And that is to keep there shareholders happy. Money,Money and more Money.

I was reading the whole thread weaiting to see if someone mentioned this exact thought. If I hadn't found it, I would have mentioned this as a logical approach to another ltl acquisition. Since it already was mentioned , I guess I can only agree.

This makes total sense, just like the Fedex purchase of Watkins, now Fedex national, and the breakdown of the YRC companies between regional and longhaul. This would probably lead to a favorable contract situation, since how could UPS offer one company less in a contract than another company under their umbrella, for doing the same work?

10-4....You hit the nail rite on the head.

I do not know if you people remember this, but when the whole INDY thing had started out ,"Just me" was asking for any suggestions, I do not know if anyone else had posted this, but I did, and I hope he saw it.

That when or if a new company is purchased all remaining people in the bought company would either be rehired under our contract, or go to the bottom of the list if intergration occurs, thus protecting the founders of the original contract and not allow inhouse transfers due to lack of work in nearby barns or inter company transfers due to consolidation .

10-4....You hit the nail rite on the head.

I do not know if you people remember this, but when the whole INDY thing had started out ,"Just me" was asking for any suggestions, I do not know if anyone else had posted this, but I did, and I hope he saw it.

That when or if a new company is purchased all remaining people in the bought company would either be rehired under our contract, or go to the bottom of the list if intergration occurs, thus protecting the founders of the original contract and not allow inhouse transfers due to lack of work in nearby barns or inter company transfers due to consolidation .

It makes sence to me, But I am always afraid of the loop holes.

I'm happy with TOXIC's findings.
It sounds to me like he has put this rumor to rest.

By the time anything happens you will more than likley be long gone.

It sounds like you dismissed one rumor and accepted another because it sounded better to you.