TForce | If UPS does buy ABF would we end tail,or dove tail?

My feeling is that there would be a UPS Freight and a UPS Freight Overnite/Long Haul division, run separately. How odd would that be? That Overnite, bought by UPS wouldn't be the overnight division of the LTL freight sector of UPS?

My feeling is that UPS Freight as a whole will not go union, not any time soon. That is not their plan and if there is some sort of acquisition of an existing union company then there certainly won't be a rush to unionize UPS Freight to integrate the two. And clearly there won't an integration of a union and non-union company.

I do have a question. Suppose UPS does buy ABF. What would UPS' obligation be to a contract signed by the workers of ABF and the ABF owners? It would seem to me that whatever arrangement the workers had with ABF would be something that they had with ABF and a new owner would have the right to re-negotiate with the employees. Am I wrong?

My feeling is that there would be a UPS Freight and a UPS Freight Overnite/Long Haul division, run separately. How odd would that be? That Overnite, bought by UPS wouldn't be the overnight division of the LTL freight sector of UPS?

My feeling is that UPS Freight as a whole will not go union, not any time soon. That is not their plan and if there is some sort of acquisition of an existing union company then there certainly won't be a rush to unionize UPS Freight to integrate the two. And clearly there won't an integration of a union and non-union company.

I do have a question. Suppose UPS does buy ABF. What would UPS' obligation be to a contract signed by the workers of ABF and the ABF owners? It would seem to me that whatever arrangement the workers had with ABF would be something that they had with ABF and a new owner would have the right to re-negotiate with the employees. Am I wrong?

Anytime a union company is bought/merged/acquired, the buying company must honor the union contract throughout the life of that contract.

For the near future, theoretically, if UPS did add ABF to their portfolio, It would probably be as a stand alone entity for the near term
just as YRC has done. However, through time, as YRC is now doing, consolidation and the elimination of double coverage entities could possibly take place. If so, it would probably be in the best interests of UPSF members to be organized by that time. I do not see ABF members ever giving up their union representation under any scenario. This being the case, if UPSF is not organized, then they would most likely endtail into ABF and then become union members. If both entities are organized, then any consolidation of facilities would then be a dovetail. Keep in mind, that regardless of who UPS may end up buying in the future, they too would most likely rebrand under the UPS logo somehow. I still say that one would do regional work and the other would be longhaul.

Anytime a union company is bought/merged/acquired, the buying company must honor the union contract throughout the life of that contract.

For the near future, theoretically, if UPS did add ABF to their portfolio, It would probably be as a stand alone entity for the near term
just as YRC has done. However, through time, as YRC is now doing, consolidation and the elimination of double coverage entities could possibly take place. If so, it would probably be in the best interests of UPSF members to be organized by that time. I do not see ABF members ever giving up their union representation under any scenario. This being the case, if UPSF is not organized, then they would most likely endtail into ABF and then become union members. If both entities are organized, then any consolidation of facilities would then be a dovetail. Keep in mind, that regardless of who UPS may end up buying in the future, they too would most likely rebrand under the UPS logo somehow. I still say that one would do regional work and the other would be longhaul.

That means that UPS if they do indeed buy ABF the time is about right with the contract coming up.

There is no way UPS will buy ABF. The cost would be tremendous. All the duplication of terminals etc. It would end up like another Yellow-roadway. The article was a commentary by a market analyst. UPS will start from the ground up and build this company 1 terminal at a time. They want it done right

There is no way UPS will buy ABF. The cost would be tremendous. All the duplication of terminals etc. It would end up like another Yellow-roadway. The article was a commentary by a market analyst. UPS will start from the ground up and build this company 1 terminal at a time. They want it done right

Trust me, ABF is "done right". When you have as much green as brown does why build it when you could buy it.
I don't want to see it happen, but never say never. We still have some ABF guys that won't speak to Carolina Freight guys and vice versa. A buyout/merger sucks. I don't care how you look at it.
HD75

Well actually when they buy the company they buy the contract and everything stay's inplace until renegotiations, I think.

Someone back me up on this statement. I also think they do not have to take the contract, but that would cause problem's.

And you are rite, they could keep it as a seperate entity if it happen's. after all the competition did.

I feel the same as you freightman, excellent statement , but I would not rule out future aqusitions, if you want to gain market share the quick way, buying an already working system is the way to do it, less monies spent that way and it will eventually pay for itself.

Acquisition is all about market share and elimination of the competition. I'm not sure what Overnite's market share was, but when UPS bought them they automatically became a big player in the LTL industry and also eliminated one of their potential competitors. Buying ABF would only strengthen their position and would eliminate yet another big player.

As for the costs, perhaps you don't realize just how big UPS is, 'UPSFreightMan'. The big will always gobble up the small. Who would have ever thought that Time-Warner could have been acquired, let alone by an ISP. Surely if that could happen then the world leader in package delivery can buy a lousy LTL company. After all, they did it once before, didn't they?

As for the costs, perhaps you don't realize just how big UPS is, 'UPSFreightMan'. The big will always gobble up the small. Who would have ever thought that Time-Warner could have been acquired, let alone by an ISP. Surely if that could happen then the world leader in package delivery can buy a lousy LTL company. After all, they did it once before, didn't they?

upgf;104128 Did you have a bad night or was it just a poor choice of words ? Or are you worried about what might happen to your UPGF/UPSF if UPS does buy a profitable union carrier ?

Well whatever your reason was for refering to ABF as " a lousy LTL company " doesn't give you much credability

Even after a lousy 4th quarter, ABF's OR for 2006 was 92.5. Not bad for " a lousy LTL company "

2631;

I apologize for the misunderstanding of the word lousy.

I used the word to mean something similar to, "All I have in my wallet is a lousy $50." It doesn't mean the $50 is lousy, personally.

I'm laughing now thinking of how easily some get offended. The truth be known, I applied and would have loved to have gotten a job at ABF, but they weren't hiring at the time.

And if I did think it was a lousy company, why would you even care what I thought?

2631;

And if I did think it was a lousy company, why would you even care what I thought?

I don't care what you think or post. And I wasn't offended. You have a right to your opinion... I just wanted to know why you chose the word lousy. I was trying to get your point.

ps I've heard ABF refered to as a lot worse than lousy

I don't care what you think or post. And I wasn't offended. You have a right to your opinion... I just wanted to know why you chose the word lousy. I was trying to get your point.

ps I've heard ABF refered to as a lot worse than lousy

The way I understood what he was saying is, in comparison to the dynamics and profitability of UPS , Spending a few billion for a LTL company is a drop in the bucket.

For lames terms, my foot crushing a lousy bug, It does not mean the bug is lousy, it means I can kill it with little effort.

upgf;104128 Did you have a bad night or was it just a poor choice of words ?

I'll say it again, I was trying to get his point,
not understanding his intent one could take
lousy LTL company as the company is lousy
lousy bug as the bug is lousy
stinking badges as the badges stink

I'm ready to move on.

The way I understood what he was saying is, in comparison to the dynamics and profitability of UPS , Spending a few billion for a LTL company is a drop in the bucket.

For lames terms, my foot crushing a lousy bug, It does not mean the bug is lousy, it means I can kill it with little effort.

You LOUSY bug killer!:tongue0015: