TForce | If UPS does buy ABF would we end tail,or dove tail?

Dove tail or hind tail?

OTE=Apostolic;102161]We are both LTL freight.
Overnite,and Motor Cargo was purchased first,and has already become the heavy freight division of our parent UPS.

So I would say ABF is the new comer,their workers should go behind us,ya think?

The only fly in the onitment I see is they are Teamsters,and UPS parcel is Teamsters,if we stay non-union would that effect how all the workers would be in the whole company?

Unless UPS leaves them as a seperate LTL operation under the UPS brand,than there wouldn't be any dove tailing,or end tailing.

I started this thread to get opinions from truckingboard posters,not to stir up any worrys,or troubling thoughts from any of the younger workers that could be kicked to the curb with a dove tailing of ABF workers with a lot of years in their company.[/QUOTE]

as a nonunion part you wouldnt have any thing to do as far as dove tailing into a union board.So my quess would be that you would go to the bottom under the union guys.UPS might let you get away working there non union but I dont think you would get away with it at ABF.I think you would have to be union to work with those guys.

as a nonunion part you wouldnt have any thing to do as far as dove tailing into a union board.So my quess would be that you would go to the bottom under the union guys.UPS might let you get away working there non union but I dont think you would get away with it at ABF.I think you would have to be union to work with those guys.

I know you're right La8Fr8!

I agree, But I think the union/nonunion issue along with the dove tail/end tail issue is not a possability at this time. First UPSF is a seperate entity from UPS. I don't believe UPS will merge any union carrier in to UPSF until after UPSF becomes union. This is a plan in the making. Its all worked out, We just don't know it yet.:smilie_132:

Could it be that this is the reason the UPS CEO gave J.Hoffa Jr. a free hand in offering a one terminal card check just after we were rebranded to UPS Freight?
Just asking?

I asked that question to a local official here and he said that what happened at ABF-Carolina would never happen again because the launguage in the contract was changed to prevent that from happening again.. If I remember right, some ABF employees file siut in court and they lost because of that language. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. The way it was explained to me, that once we become teamsters, any new purchase and those employess would go to the bottom, even if they were current taemsters. Correct me if I'm wrong. T-251, you would be the one to answer this.Thanks

tomcat, it all comes down to whether it's a buyout or a merger.

In a buyout, the employees of the company being bought go to the bottom. If it's a merger, they dovetail in.

In the Carolina, ABF case, It was a buyout of Worldway(or whatever the Carolina parent company was called) by ABF but once the buyout was complete, ABF merged the 2 companies. Thats how it became a dovetail situation

I started this thread to get opinions from truckingboard posters,not to stir up any worrys,or troubling thoughts from any of the younger workers that could be kicked to the curb with a dove tailing of ABF workers with a lot of years in their company.

:eek: HUH? Holy Crap! :ranting:

tomcat, it all comes down to whether it's a buyout or a merger.

In a buyout, the employees of the company being bought go to the bottom. If it's a merger, they dovetail in.

In the Carolina, ABF case, It was a buyout of Worldway(or whatever the Carolina parent company was called) by ABF but once the buyout was complete, ABF merged the 2 companies. Thats how it became a dovetail situation

In the Master Freight Agreement It reads Buyout,Merger,etc. you will dovetail. But the article i seen on that was only (SPECULATION) that ABF would be the long haul and UPSF would be regional.I also was with BIG C and i have been hearing UPS was going to buy use on and off since 94. Just my opinion.

If UPS was to buy ABF why would there have to be a merger of companies in the first place??

Look at how YRC operates Yellow, Roadway , and USF..........

UPS could operate ABF as a stand alone company as well as UPSF and UPS parcel.

If UPS was to buy ABF why would there have to be a merger of companies in the first place??

That would definitely be the best for us. I know I don't want to be endtailed.:hysterical:

Yes, But I got a feeling no matter who UPS buy's They will have the UPSF logo on there trucks. But that does sound good, UAC......UPS,ABF Corp.

You get the gold star for the day.:1036316054:

OTE=Apostolic;102161]We are both LTL freight.
Overnite,and Motor Cargo was purchased first,and has already become the heavy freight division of our parent UPS.

So I would say ABF is the new comer,their workers should go behind us,ya think?

The only fly in the onitment I see is they are Teamsters,and UPS parcel is Teamsters,if we stay non-union would that effect how all the workers would be in the whole company?

Unless UPS leaves them as a seperate LTL operation under the UPS brand,than there wouldn't be any dove tailing,or end tailing.

I started this thread to get opinions from truckingboard posters,not to stir up any worrys,or troubling thoughts from any of the younger workers that could be kicked to the curb with a dove tailing of ABF workers with a lot of years in their company.
[/quote]

You did not scare anybody as a matter of fact you woke up an old wound and we are now finally licking it. This was something that ws brought up last summer and now it is finally getting more attention now then it did then, so thanx, and there is no sarcasm intended.

The fact of the matter is who know's what will happen but while we are thinking of this if it becomes part of the contract then it's nice too COVER YOUR A.., sort of speak.

Actually most or the majority are speaking of this happening after there is a contract in place, not before...

I agree, But I think the union/nonunion issue along with the dove tail/end tail issue is not a possability at this time. First UPSF is a seperate entity from UPS. I don't believe UPS will merge any union carrier in to UPSF until after UPSF becomes union. This is a plan in the making. Its all worked out, We just don't know it yet.:smilie_132:

I believe you are 100% correct on this issue.....:1036316054:

Well it may happen , it may not happen, it may be someone else , it may be no one, I do not think this is paranoia, I think it's CYA.

Lets say for example ABF is bought and UPSF decides to buy another LTL company after the fact, this language would also protect the guy's at ABF, as well as us. I see nothing wrong with protecting your future..... CYA....