XPO | Just my thought on the end of Conway as we know it.

My question is what about seniority we the Conway people fall behind the line or duf tail in like the union. To protect the workers seniority. Ah maybe We should have joined the union. The supervisors well go first has soon they figure out the system then the employees that are not favorable so bad news you got to start kissing all over again. But good luck to all.
They have a smaller ltl company, mostly o/o and brokers. There is nothing to merge with. Yes, sadly there will be job losses at xgo. All of us feel for those that may fall.

Do your research on the topic.

sure, sure.... Say... How are those 318 ups drivers that lost their jobs when they merged two barns together in Chicago making out? Good thing the union saved their jobs.
The same thing happened to a bunch of my friends when they merged Roadway and Yellow together. Hundreds of them ended up on the unemployment line. The Union didn't help them any. And with this Conway thing, there isn't anyone to "merge" with, so I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. From what I see, I'd be more concerned about the O/O trucks being backed into the dock once it's official. That could illiminate some linehaul jobs.

sure, sure.... Say... How are those 318 ups drivers that lost their jobs when they merged two barns together in Chicago making out? Good thing the union saved their jobs.
I hadn't heard anything about 318 UPS'ers that lost their jobs but heard that UPS hired 318 drivers . Most of the YRC and Holland drivers that quit YRC and Holland went straight over to UPS and got hired especially in Chicago . Also my point was that if Con Way would have been union XPO would have most likely not buy them .

I hadn't heard anything about 318 UPS'ers that lost their jobs but heard that UPS hired 318 drivers . Most of the YRC and Holland drivers that quit YRC and Holland went straight over to UPS and got hired especially in Chicago . Also my point was that if Con Way would have been union XPO would have most likely not buy them .
XPO does a LOT of intermodal , to my understanding , which is heavily union in the ports. I'm guessing XPO wouldn't have thought twice about buying Con-way if it were union or not.

Again , if a company is a great investment - well ran , profitable , with a good culture - does it matter if they're union or not?

UPS is one example. ODF is another. If the company is well ran what difference does a union make?

TE="monkeywrench, post: 964109, member: 4008"]I also started the same year you did, Lifer. Your right, this used to be a great company to work for. The Detter years were great. 2008, when the stock market crashed, housing, the economy went bad, is when things got bad here at Conway. Its when Conway and the new management used the excuse of the economy as a reason to start taking away from us. Things have went to crap since then. The greedy CEO and all the greedy top management under him have ***** this company. Theres no reason a CEO of this company should recieve over 50 million in stock options he cashed in last year. All the while, we cant get our 401K match back. Its disgusting. Plus the money he has pissed away on Lean, makes me sick.
I am not happy about spending 29 yrs. with a company and now having to work for a new one. I am happy to see the current management team get dismantled. Unlike you, I am not happy with my job anymore, and I really, really want to be.
Its a scary situation, whats happening now, especially all the years I have invested here. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully, it does get better, but I really dont think it will.[/QUOTE]
Dont feel bad.You all got things taken away and so did the rest of us in the ltl business."us" labor in America have lost so much The corporate heads seemed to gain more ground in their compensation.All this during and after the so called great recession.This goes for non union and unionized workforces in all industries.A labor revolution needs to happen.We all need to regain all of what us the labor have sacrificed and lost.God Bless the working people of America

I started at "Conway Western Express" in Ventura Calif. in 1986. They were a new and upcoming company. I had been with "GI Trucking" for about a year. I learned to drive at GI on my lunch break which was about 2am. GI was not treating me all that well so I applied at "CWX". UVC was brand new, hadn't opened for business yet, I was hired the next day, I was 22 years old. UVC was just a small operation, maybe 12 doors or a few more. We only serviced three states back then, Calif, Nv. and Az. I loved my new job, my new company and my new friends. So here we are, 29 years later, and now I have to say "goodbye" to the name "Conway" and who know's what else, I, you, all of us, will have to say good bye to. I know that a lot of people here on the "Trucking Boards" have not had a positive experience working for Conway, but for me, I have loved working here, and hope that I will continue to love working here. It will be hard to except that "Conway" will no longer exist, as I have always known it. I am sure I can't be the only one who feels this way. I always wanted to be a truck driver, and in 1986, no other company would hire me, A young 22 year old man, 1 year of driving experience, but very eager to make a career out of trucking. "Conway" took a chance on me, and I am still here, I still love my job, and I hope the years I have left, will be great as well. I have been through the best and worst years with "Conway", I hope even better years await us all, no matter what it says on the side of our trucks. Have a great weekend, and always be safe!

Hey man,
I don't have 29 years of driving experience with conway, and I don't know many people in the company besides the friends I have at the XWO terminal. But everything you just said I can relate to. I am 29 years old and I have had a rough life. My past has made it very difficult for me to provide for my kids and be the man that I am meant to be. Until I worked for Conway . I always knew i wanted to drive trucks but i didn't have a cdl, I had a permit and years of dockworker experience. Conway took a chance on me and for the first time in my life I had someone believe in me and invest in me. Conway put me behind the wheel and on the road and for that I will be always be greatful. It saddens me to know that they are gone because even with all the negative that you hear, they are the first to believe in me....i got my license in 7 weeks, and on week 8 I was driving linehaul to NJ and back making very good money. It's an honor to wear this uniform, and I hope with everything that's within me that this deal doesn't go through. I love my job and not many people can say that

the thing that concerns me the most happened today. one of my customers said they got an email from XPO trying to earn their business and he said they didn't mention Conway at all. hmmm... are they just trying to win people over from scratch before they tell them that Conway will be xpo? or wouldn't it make more sense to say that Conway will now be XPO and continue to bring you the same service? just seems really odd to be trying to earn the business that we/Conway already have.

the thing that concerns me the most happened today. one of my customers said they got an email from XPO trying to earn their business and he said they didn't mention Conway at all. hmmm... are they just trying to win people over from scratch before they tell them that Conway will be xpo? or wouldn't it make more sense to say that Conway will now be XPO and continue to bring you the same service? just seems really odd to be trying to earn the business that we/Conway already have.
A multibillion dollar transaction takes time - it hasn't even been a week. This is a LITTLE bit more complex than a buying a pack of gum.

The more it cost , the longer it takes
- pack of gum , same day
- a car , same day and an hour or so of paperwork
- a house , a week , a month .... etc..

You get the idea. A $5 billion company for sale for $3 billion - it will take some time. And while we are waiting for things to finalize , I'm guessing it will be business as usual.

job postings for xpo drivers are all over the country. 275 ads on career builder alone. 292 on indeed.com. that's a lot of drivers needed.

Gonna need o/o to fill linehaul jobs in dedicated lanes. Pretty damn smart

He ain't stupid. Everything this guy touches makes money. And he is going to turn this into a money making machine. The past management was seen as ineffective at doing this. That means there will be changes. For us, some may be good or bad, but they will ALL be good for him.

You need to go back to the YRC forum and reread the 318 post.
It has nothing to do with UPS.
It is a change of operations 318 is Bollingbrook IL.
Most of the people did not lose there jobs they follow the work keeping the seniority they earned.
That is how a CBA works for you.

I started my career at the Bridgeview terminal in Chicago in 99. No one would hire me cause I did not have a cdl. Conway hired me as a dock worker and I wasted no time getting my license. I trained on my own for 3 weeks in the yard with no power steering tractor. There was a certified instructor guy there named G. Fortuna and I want to thank you for helping me train and all the city and line haul guys that gave me advice and took me under their wing.

I'm now in San Antonio at Upsf and I go to the rail yard every week and I see a lot of xpo drivers in there dropping off and picking up rails all the time

Hey man,
I don't have 29 years of driving experience with conway, and I don't know many people in the company besides the friends I have at the XWO terminal. But everything you just said I can relate to. I am 29 years old and I have had a rough life. My past has made it very difficult for me to provide for my kids and be the man that I am meant to be. Until I worked for Conway . I always knew i wanted to drive trucks but i didn't have a cdl, I had a permit and years of dockworker experience. Conway took a chance on me and for the first time in my life I had someone believe in me and invest in me. Conway put me behind the wheel and on the road and for that I will be always be greatful. It saddens me to know that they are gone because even with all the negative that you hear, they are the first to believe in me....i got my license in 7 weeks, and on week 8 I was driving linehaul to NJ and back making very good money. It's an honor to wear this uniform, and I hope with everything that's within me that this deal doesn't go through. I love my job and not many people can say that
Amen brother! I knew I couldn't be the only one out there that likes his job!

I started at "Conway Western Express" in Ventura Calif. in 1986. They were a new and upcoming company. I had been with "GI Trucking" for about a year. I learned to drive at GI on my lunch break which was about 2am. GI was not treating me all that well so I applied at "CWX". UVC was brand new, hadn't opened for business yet, I was hired the next day, I was 22 years old. UVC was just a small operation, maybe 12 doors or a few more. We only serviced three states back then, Calif, Nv. and Az. I loved my new job, my new company and my new friends. So here we are, 29 years later, and now I have to say "goodbye" to the name "Conway" and who know's what else, I, you, all of us, will have to say good bye to. I know that a lot of people here on the "Trucking Boards" have not had a positive experience working for Conway, but for me, I have loved working here, and hope that I will continue to love working here. It will be hard to except that "Conway" will no longer exist, as I have always known it. I am sure I can't be the only one who feels this way. I always wanted to be a truck driver, and in 1986, no other company would hire me, A young 22 year old man, 1 year of driving experience, but very eager to make a career out of trucking. "Conway" took a chance on me, and I am still here, I still love my job, and I hope the years I have left, will be great as well. I have been through the best and worst years with "Conway", I hope even better years await us all, no matter what it says on the side of our trucks. Have a great weekend, and always be safe!
You