XPO | Laredo, TX Filed for Union Recognition

And to high-speed wouldn't the company say anything to have you not go union? Just saying who r u going to believe a company that's been screwing u over to years or a union? Who knows wait and see right.does anyone know when they r going to vote beerfd should know he's smart
voting date september 12

You need to remember how the NASCAR sponsorship went down. At that time they were cutting our pay and yes , there was a lot of hell raised because they were saying cut, cut, cut. No one with any kind intelligence wanted to see money from our pockets while the upper elites enjoying Nascar races catered food and the good life. Yes hell was raised!!!!

Conway drivers better stand up and be strong. It's time to make things better. The place isn't fit to work at now. Who ya going to call????

I am on the fence about the union and here is why.

I went to a interview with Holland. They wanted to start me out at $17.44 an hour. There is 3 - 5% raises to top rate. in my quick math that is @ $21.00 an hour. The pension is on hold for another 4 years and it is anyones guess what will happen with that. There is NO 401k. Holland falls under the YRC contract and they are the profit center that is keeping YRC going. I feel that the union wants to get more membership to provide more money to the pension fund and who knows there that will in the future for us. The only way I would sign a card is if I can see if we would have our OWN contract and OUR own pension funded like UPS package has. Honestly, I don't see that happening.

I am in union friendly Ohio.

I don't really wanna driver for a union carrier.

After the 75% and the 15% give back guys starting out are making $15 something an hour. And working 70 because they are bombed out busy.

Their senior guys are all going to UPS and ABF as soon as spots come open. We got two guys here at the con. I mean. If it's that bad that they would jump off to land here ?

Seeing what the union does to an LTL. I think I'll pass.

Can't wait until that mess falls apart and dies. The whole keep YRC/Holland going to preserve jobs was stupid to begin with.

All that freight was gonna move. And the remaining carriers would have fought over those drivers.

You misunderstood the post. He stated that union companies are on givebacks. So I asked if ups was on one. He replied by saying upsf isnt an LTL.

On the same page. Just 7 posts earlier. And you must have had a few last night.

I said specifically YRC/Holland are on give backs. And that drivers are jumping to UPS and ABF. At no point did I reference UPSF.

This post is the epitome of ignorant ramblings.

Those guys brag about what they don't do and how much they still get paid for it.

It's a very vengeful " burry the company " attitude.

Well it's gotta die before you bury it. Or are you guys so pissed you wanna bury it alive ?

In order for this to take hold you need more than just one terminal to do it. If you want to suceed you need the whole state or the major service centers to go after the union.

I am on the fence about the union and here is why.

I went to a interview with Holland. They wanted to start me out at $17.44 an hour. There is 3 - 5% raises to top rate. in my quick math that is @ $21.00 an hour. The pension is on hold for another 4 years and it is anyones guess what will happen with that. There is NO 401k. Holland falls under the YRC contract and they are the profit center that is keeping YRC going. I feel that the union wants to get more membership to provide more money to the pension fund and who knows there that will in the future for us. The only way I would sign a card is if I can see if we would have our OWN contract and OUR own pension funded like UPS package has. Honestly, I don't see that happening.

Exactly. People keep saying we can negotiate our own deal with the union. But that union has it's own ideas too.

People here actually think they can walk up and demand individually that the union appease are their wishes.

That isn't what a union does. It's all about what is best for the majority plus one.

When I worked at Coca-Cola. The dock workers outnumbered the drivers by a lot. And they decided it wasn't fair that we made more than them. That drivers should be paid the same as picker packers. And they got what they wanted in the contract. Because they had the numbers. I was making $40K a year. Working in weather. Hand unloading and merchandising gas stations and mini-marts. Settling payment with customers. We had guys getting robbed as soon as they walk out of places. We had a bunch of guys jump off driving to work in the warehouse. To the point the company banned the practice.

I mentioned this to the Local President. And he said " Tell your management ". I said " But they didn't do this. You did. " He walked away.

I blew up on the steward. Who worked in the warehouse. And he was offended that I would think my job was worth more than his.

It's not the unions job to make you happy. Or to fix your problems. It's their goal to strengthen the company by providing a skilled labor force.

And the whole while they take a cut of your check and tell you how much they are doing for you. Because if the company disappears, so does their cut of your paycheck.

In order for this to take hold you need more than just one terminal to do it. If you want to suceed you need the whole state or the major service centers to go after the union.

But by starting with such a large terminal, they do have a path to branch from.

It's gonna be the Latinos that carry this. And it will reach as far as they do.

Exactly. People keep saying we can negotiate our own deal with the union. But that union has it's own ideas too.

People here actually think they can walk up and demand individually that the union appease are their wishes.

That isn't what a union does. It's all about what is best for the majority plus one.

When I worked at Coca-Cola. The dock workers outnumbered the drivers by a lot. And they decided it wasn't fair that we made more than them. That drivers should be paid the same as picker packers. And they got what they wanted in the contract. Because they had the numbers. I was making $40K a year. Working in weather. Hand unloading and merchandising gas stations and mini-marts. Settling payment with customers. We had guys getting robbed as soon as they walk out of places. We had a bunch of guys jump off driving to work in the warehouse. To the point the company banned the practice.

I mentioned this to the Local President. And he said " Tell your management ". I said " But they didn't do this. You did. " He walked away.

I blew up on the steward. Who worked in the warehouse. And he was offended that I would think my job was worth more than his.

It's not the unions job to make you happy. Or to fix your problems. It's their goal to strengthen the company by providing a skilled labor force.

And the whole while they take a cut of your check and tell you how much they are doing for you. Because if the company disappears, so does their cut of your paycheck.
You dont negotiate a deal with the union you negotiate with the company. And yes you can have a contract that is Conway specific. There's hundreds of teamster companies that have their own contract and that DON'T have any ties to the pension funds. They have their own pension or a contract negotiated 401k match. So you are wrong there.
As for you at Coke, the union did not create that problem. You guys voted a contract that gave the warehouse workers a raise. Sounds like you were jealous of them because they got to work inside and you were outside. Boo Hoo. Its the union's job to enforce the contract that was approved by YOU.

Let me dispell at least one rumor about this attempt to organize in Laredo. IT IS NOT A HOAX and here is the proof, click the link. NLRB I don't want to see this company go union and if there are others who read the boards who share my opinion, then I suggest we all take this move seriously and figure out how to pitch a non-union company to our fellow employees who want to organize.

To the company execs who are in charge of reading these boards, I would say to you. Take this union threat seriously and if you want to nip it in the bud, then read on.

Stop with market based pay and get everyone on the same pay scale as this will cost you less in the long run than will future grievance and contract litigation. Next suggestion, get the camera out of the driver's face in the cab, it's none of your damned business what we do when you're not looking. You already can track our productivity and movement with the handhelds and you have already fired people for stealing time as a result of information obtained using the GPS features of these devices, isn't that good enough? The cameras in the cabs really is a step too far, removing them now, might actually prevent the Teamsters coming to your house. And in regards to dropped trailers, stop treating that is a crash, at least in the yard because sometimes, crap just happens. You value your LEAN so much and your VOC, well listen to us on this, the internal customers are speaking to you.

You dont negotiate a deal with the union you negotiate with the company. And yes you can have a contract that is Conway specific. There's hundreds of teamster companies that have their own contract and that DON'T have any ties to the pension funds. They have their own pension or a contract negotiated 401k match. So you are wrong there.
As for you at Coke, the union did not create that problem. You guys voted a contract that gave the warehouse workers a raise. Sounds like you were jealous of them because they got to work inside and you were outside. Boo Hoo. Its the union's job to enforce the contract that was approved by YOU.

Where exactly was I wrong ? I pointed out that in a negotiation that the other side has an agenda as well. Don't think you are just going to demand whatever and get it.

And at Coke is wasn't just me but a drivers vs. warehouse thing. Divide and conquer ring a bell ?

We drivers voted no and voted STRIKE. That damn local President told us we couldn't.

Let me dispell at least one rumor about this attempt to organize in Laredo. IT IS NOT A HOAX and here is the proof, click the link. NLRB I don't want to see this company go union and if there are others who read the boards who share my opinion, then I suggest we all take this move seriously and figure out how to pitch a non-union company to our fellow employees who want to organize.

To the company execs who are in charge of reading these boards, I would say to you. Take this union threat seriously and if you want to nip it in the bud, then read on.

Stop with market based pay and get everyone on the same pay scale as this will cost you less in the long run than will future grievance and contract litigation. Next suggestion, get the camera out of the driver's face in the cab, it's none of your damned business what we do when you're not looking. You already can track our productivity and movement with the handhelds and you have already fired people for stealing time as a result of information obtained using the GPS features of these devices, isn't that good enough? The cameras in the cabs really is a step too far, removing them now, might actually prevent the Teamsters coming to your house. And in regards to dropped trailers, stop treating that is a crash, at least in the yard because sometimes, crap just happens. You value your LEAN so much and your VOC, well listen to us on this, the internal customers are speaking to you.
The cameras and lean are exactly why most drivers are leaving. Another big reason is the giant micromanaged numbers game that this company has become in the last 2-3 years.

Drop a trailer? "1 point for you! Sign this paper"

Forget to chock a trailer? "1 point, sign this!"

Bump into another forklift on the dock? "Half point! Sign here!"

Set the camera off while your MP3 player is in your hand? "2 points! One more time and you're fired! Sign!!!"

And the crazy part is, they can't understand why morale is in the crapper...

The cameras and lean are exactly why most drivers are leaving. Another big reason is the giant micromanaged numbers game that this company has become.

Drop a trailer? "1 point for you! Sign this paper"

Forget to chock a trailer? "1 point, sign this!"

Bump into another forklift on the dock? "Half point! Sign here!"

Set the camera off while your MP3 player is in your hand? 2 points! One more time and you're fired! Sign!!

And the crazy part is, they can't understand why morale is in the crapper...
The cameras are saving them from liability and have already saved two people from being charged with accidents at our place. I think that conway has learned that we are not doing anything wrong, it's mostly the general public that is in the wrong. It is keeping them from being sued and they are saving money in that regard... and yes, i know they are saying things like 'look, your following too close and stuff' and that rubs some people the wrong way, but the cameras are here to stay.
..but, all that other stuff you just said, yeah, most of it is ridiculous. dropped trailers, forklifts, etc. etc.