XPO | New trucks/trailer in xcw last night

Yea it looks longer than a 28 foot pup. I'm a P/D driver, my buddy runs linehaul out of our shop and he sent this pic to me last night. Apparently these things are popping up at FAC's and other terminals every where. Another driver told me he saw aa XPO logos on equipment in XDP
Check the spacing between tractor and trailer. The kingpin setting on a 33 footer will be 18'' deeper into the trailer for doubles. Takes 3 foot off overall length and conforms with bridge laws. Press on

There are safety advocacy groups, OOIDA, Teamsters, and probably others fighting very hard against increased length and weight regulations. From what I've read and heard on the radio, it doesn't sound like the companies are gaining much ground with the rulemakers on the 33 foot doubles, or increased size and weight for other types of operations. I hope it stays as is. 28 foot doubles are long enough for me.

There are safety advocacy groups, OOIDA, Teamsters, and probably others fighting very hard against increased length and weight regulations. From what I've read and heard on the radio, it doesn't sound like the companies are gaining much ground with the rulemakers on the 33 foot doubles, or increased size and weight for other types of operations. I hope it stays as is. 28 foot doubles are long enough for me.

"Safety advocacy groups" have convinced themselves that the only way a truck will be safe is if it's no more than a Sprinter van running 25mph. The Teamsters don't like the idea of bigger trailers because longer sets haul more freight and might consolidate LTL runs, which might make Teamsters have to do a different run, which would make them unhappy. OOIDA doesn't want 33's because longer sets haul more freight which might reduce demand for truckload service, which would make them unhappy. No word from either group on why anyone's happiness should be a factor in efforts to make trucking more efficient in the face of a severe and worsening driver shortage.

Not sure how the FACs are working were you all run but at most FACs there is no need to run pups at all. We don't utilize them with pures or even headloads. Might as well just pull 53 footers and load them for a 250 mile trip to be broke again. Maybe the new management will see loading past the next terminal and get back to loading long, cutting rehandling and claims. Press on

"Safety advocacy groups" have convinced themselves that the only way a truck will be safe is if it's no more than a Sprinter van running 25mph. The Teamsters don't like the idea of bigger trailers because longer sets haul more freight and might consolidate LTL runs, which might make Teamsters have to do a different run, which would make them unhappy. OOIDA doesn't want 33's because longer sets haul more freight which might reduce demand for truckload service, which would make them unhappy. No word from either group on why anyone's happiness should be a factor in efforts to make trucking more efficient in the face of a severe and worsening driver shortage.

I know why they fight it, and I don't agree with the safety groups' agendas. However, when you think about it, we drivers are a commodity. I agree that there is a shortage, but as the driver supply dwindles, the price/wages will come up. A driver shortage is not a bad thing for drivers. If they had a line of able and qualified drivers lined up outside the door, they would not have any reason to treat us well. And really, who wants to add an extra ten feet to a set.

That's a nice looking new skin, but I think it's not the final version. I'm thinking they will re-skin the equipment again after the public gets used to transition.

I know why they fight it, and I don't agree with the safety groups' agendas. However, when you think about it, we drivers are a commodity. I agree that there is a shortage, but as the driver supply dwindles, the price/wages will come up. A driver shortage is not a bad thing for drivers. If they had a line of able and qualified drivers lined up outside the door, they would not have any reason to treat us well. And really, who wants to add an extra ten feet to a set.
Not sure what area of the country you are in Ice, but in the Chicago metro area there area a ton of foreign owned logistics,and trucking company's with drivers who speak more their own language than English. I guarantee most bought their CDL, medical cards, have little insurance, and make probably 30 cents a mile driving those fancy Volvo, and Freightliner sleeper tractors. I see many of them daily loading LTL and TL shipments in my peddle area. Most of these drivers cannot get hired by US LTL companies because they cannot provide the background information needed. As long as these companies keep growing, it also affects our wages depending on the economy as to how much truck capacity is out there. I have always said, I never hear a customer complain to me that they cannot get their freight moved in or out because of the so called driver shortage. For the hours, job stress, road hazards, abuse by the public, shippers, consignees, hardship on family time, and physical demands on the driver, no one should be making less than $80,000 a year to make this an attractive profession. Just my observations after 40 years of this business.

That's a nice looking new skin, but I think it's not the final version. I'm thinking they will re-skin the equipment again after the public gets used to transition.
I'm sure it is just a promo. Other designs of tractors and trailers have showed up at other terminals
FvOCZAP.jpg

Not sure how the FACs are working were you all run but at most FACs there is no need to run pups at all. We don't utilize them with pures or even headloads. Might as well just pull 53 footers and load them for a 250 mile trip to be broke again. Maybe the new management will see loading past the next terminal and get back to loading long, cutting rehandling and claims. Press on

You're absolutely right. However, I kind of worried before about them moving to long boxes.. It would make it that much easier to let those subcarriers pull our freight. We do need some 102" wide pups though.

Yea it looks longer than a 28 foot pup. I'm a P/D driver, my buddy runs linehaul out of our shop and he sent this pic to me last night. Apparently these things are popping up at FAC's and other terminals every where. Another driver told me he saw aa XPO logos on equipment in XDP
On my route last week I seen a xpo van, do they do small package?

Look on the abf forum under 33 foot trailers it seems to be gaining ground, but I am with you and keep them 28 foot....

I really like the look of the new logo.
Culture mismatches is one of the biggest things when companies acquire other companies.

This is a great point that you made. Look at the YRC/Yellow/Roadway/Holland mess. They have no real identification any more. I've seen Holland stickers over YRC stickers and vise versa. I've seen a YRC sticker on the tractor, a yellow lead, and a Toadway pup. WTH?

And they wonder why customers are confused.

This XPO rebranding (aggressiveness) is the key to success in my opinion. It clears up any fog of who XPO is.

The PRO-33 footer crowd also advertises that the extra length will take trucks off the roads which cuts back on traffic issues, and cuts down on the exhaust from the extra trucks on the road. The Global Warming hoaxters like the idea.

Has any one considered how long it will take to get around another truck that is running a couple of MPH slower and wants to make passing him as hard as he can one you with all of that length behind you. May not seem like much but, ten feet is a lot at times like that.

This is a great point that you made. Look at the YRC/Yellow/Roadway/Holland mess. They have no real identification any more. I've seen Holland stickers over YRC stickers and vise versa. I've seen a YRC sticker on the tractor, a yellow lead, and a Toadway pup. WTH?

And they wonder why customers are confused.

This XPO rebranding (aggressiveness) is the key to success in my opinion. It clears up any fog of who XPO is.
The mix matched trailers were done on purpose when the buyout \ merger took place so the customer would know they were the same company, as far as the rebranding goes they fell way short in that area. Think it was a money issue....