SAIA | Od driver thinking of switching

Not even upsf ?
The Teamsters only shining star. You can't discount what they bring to the table. So I won't do that. I will say that you have a lot of dues to pay before you ever reach the top. Starting pay 17.20 .... 6 months 17.70 .... 12 months 18.70 .... 24 months 20.00 .... 36 months 24.00 .... 48 months .... Top pay. Yep, 4 years to reach top pay and a lot of dues to pay and not just to the Teamsters. I will take what I have with no complaints because I know that no matter where I work I must take the good with the bad. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Sometimes the grass is just the grass. Just a different shade. Just a different color. And I'm OK with that.

Last edited:
No UPS lays off and they make the same at the end of the year as I do or less! I don't have to pay dues or work my life hoping there's still a pension when I retire! I like non union and 401k and IRA's. Then I know I can retire

No UPS lays off and they make the same at the end of the year as I do or less! I don't have to pay dues or work my life hoping there's still a pension when I retire! I like non union and 401k and IRA's. Then I know I can retire
Runawaytrain is correct and me and you are around the same age and I work for UPSF and I'm not depending on a pension neither that's why I'm putting so much in stock and 401k every week till I decided to call it a day and also they don't make you pay dues over here but I understand what you mean

Runawaytrain is correct and me and you are around the same age and I work for UPSF and I'm not depending on a pension neither that's why I'm putting so much in stock and 401k every week till I decided to call it a day and also they don't make you pay dues over here but I understand what you mean
Smart man. Very smart man. My IRA will let me retire comfortably at 62. My 401K is just the icing on the cake.

Paying an extra 1% in annual 401K expenses could reduce your nest egg by about one-third come retirement. So take advantage of the cheapest option in your plan. A basic S&P 500 index fund. Some charge as little as 0.1 % vs. 1% or more for actively managed funds. If your 401K doesn't offer other low cost investment options, diversify elsewhere. Save enough to get the company match. Then fund an IRA, where you can choose which bond funds or foreign funds to go with. While you're at it, dump company stock. About $1 out of every $7 in 401K is invested in employer shares. But your income is already tied to that company. Your retirement shouldn't be too.

Last edited:
That's good news man
I could have went to OD. Could still go to OD because I'm good friends with the lead dispatcher (we go way back) and he could get me on his board. However I chose SAIA for a few of reasons. They are closer to my home. They pay OT after 45 and the healthcare is better and less expensive with better pay outs. No knock on OD because they are a great company that's union free. I would never work for a unionized company. So if things don't work out here I will most certainly be at OD. No guarantees in this life. I just hope SAIA lets me finish out my career here. I will be forever grateful if they do.

I could have went to OD. Could still go to OD because I'm good friends with the lead dispatcher (we go way back) and he could get me on his board. However I chose SAIA for a few of reasons. They are closer to my home. They pay OT after 45 and the healthcare is better and less expensive with better pay outs. No knock on OD because they are a great company that's union free. I would never work for a unionized company. So if things don't work out here I will most certainly be at OD. No guarantees in this life. I just hope SAIA lets me finish out my career here. I will be forever grateful if they do.
Runawaytrain I just want you to know me and majority of the guys here at UPSF tasted other LTL company's before we got here... AAA COOPER,Southeastern,FedEx etc just to name some but none came from OD OR SAIA but had a lot of years at these company but was messed over so bad like them we didn't want to go through that again so not knocking SAIA or OD but we are happier than ever...at the same time that's good to see SAIA and OD doing good and yall don't have a high turnover rate. To be honest I wouldn't change what I have for nothing being at AAA COOPER for three years now I just made four with UPSF its very very different from what I went through with AAA COOPER

Runawaytrain I just want you to know me and majority of the guys here at UPSF tasted other LTL company's before we got here... AAA COOPER,Southeastern,FedEx etc just to name some but none came from OD OR SAIA but had a lot of years at these company but was messed over so bad like them we didn't want to go through that again so not knocking SAIA or OD but we are happier than ever...at the same time that's good to see SAIA and OD doing good and yall don't have a high turnover rate. To be honest I wouldn't change what I have for nothing being at AAA COOPER for three years now I just made four with UPSF its very very different from what I went through with AAA COOPER
Everyone's situation is different. I'm just glad things worked out for you. I'd like to think we both have it made and truly understand that whichever side of the fence you stand on we are just men trying to make a living.

Last edited:
if you are the bottom guy the big question is DO YOU WORK ARE NOT WORK does saia hire you to sit at home or run wide open
If you get hired you will get work. SAIA doesn't hire people to let them sit. This company is growing and we need all the drivers we can get. Even the bottom guys get work. Trust me, you will get all the work you want and then some.

if you are the bottom guy the big question is DO YOU WORK ARE NOT WORK does saia hire you to sit at home or run wide open
Mr. Dexter SAIA is not easy to get on with. You must have a clean DAC ... MVR ... Perfect CSA ... Good references and a good employment history. This company accepts only the best of the best these days despite the driver shortage. No stone is left unturned when it comes to safety. SAIA is very careful about who they put behind the wheel of their trucks. So do your research but I can assure you that you will never find a better LTL company than SAIA. And you can better believe that when it comes to you they will have done their research.

Last edited:

A new guy is not suppose to get cut anymore than a 30yr guy. I am at a small terminal and have been cut twice in the last 13 months. Alot of times if there is not enough work for everyone the senior drivers ask to get cut and just burn a vacation day or personal day.