SAIA | Od driver thinking of switching

A new guy is not suppose to get cut anymore than a 30yr guy. I am at a small terminal and have been cut twice in the last 13 months. Alot of times if there is not enough work for everyone the senior drivers ask to get cut and just burn a vacation day or personal day.
What your saying is they spread the work out to keep everyone working so with that being said I'm guessing they don't layoff either ?

What your saying is they spread the work out to keep everyone working so with that being said I'm guessing they don't layoff either ?
The reason I'm asking questions is because I'm seriously looking at saia for a career so I'm trying to get the whole scoop on what they offer because where I'm leaving I've been there 10 years and I'm still on the extra board worrying if I'm gonna work or not

The reason I'm asking questions is because I'm seriously looking at saia for a career so I'm trying to get the whole scoop on what they offer because where I'm leaving I've been there 10 years and I'm still on the extra board worrying if I'm gonna work or not
I've read your post on the UPSF forum. I understand your concerns.

the facts are these I need to work its that simple and with a good 401k and a low cost health package with plenty of work to go around whats not to like I have already put my application in for linehaul driver so I guess we will see what happens I just want to work

the facts are these I need to work its that simple and with a good 401k and a low cost health package with plenty of work to go around whats not to like I have already put my application in for linehaul driver so I guess we will see what happens I just want to work

I started with Saia 06/01/14 in 6 months I was at top pay. I have grossed $56,710 and paid $1760.80 for my medical, dental, and vision insurance. And that's since the 1st of the year.

I'm sure there are guys at other companies making better money than us. But I am truly happy working here and feel I am helping a great company grow and become better. Trucking isn't an easy job but in 17yrs of driving this is the easiest and most rewarding job I have ever had.

Maybe one of the old timers can answer your question about layoffs better than I can. But I haven't heard of anyone being laid off in the year I have been here.

Good luck on your decision!

I started with Saia 06/01/14 in 6 months I was at top pay. I have grossed $56,710 and paid $1760.80 for my medical, dental, and vision insurance. And that's since the 1st of the year.

I'm sure there are guys at other companies making better money than us. But I am truly happy working here and feel I am helping a great company grow and become better. Trucking isn't an easy job but in 17yrs of driving this is the easiest and most rewarding job I have ever had.

Maybe one of the old timers can answer your question about layoffs better than I can. But I haven't heard of anyone being laid off in the year I have been here.

Good luck on your decision!
How does breakdown drop and hook fueling ect ect pay

Got cut for the first time today. Senior driver called to switch so I could work, cut him too. Had two system drivers laying down.

I just want to say Thanks to everyone on here for all the helpful info im gonna go by my local saia terminal probably tomorrow to try and talk with a manager

I don't know if I can help but I just started with Saia July 2nd and I'm getting hrs in the city. I finished this week with 55 hrs and I'm still in my probationary period.

Got cut for the first time today. Senior driver called to switch so I could work, cut him too. Had two system drivers laying down.

That's one of the benefits of running system, you always run even if it means they have to cut the local guys.

Usually central tries to lay us down at bigger terminals if at all possible.

Ill pile on as well.

Been here 1 yr 2 months and couldn't be happier.
Obviously everybody who works for saia is happy so I'm definitely going to check into it I just don't know if anybody knows anybody at Richmond Virginias terminal that would be a great help

Paying an extra 1% in annual 401K expenses could reduce your nest egg by about one-third come retirement. So take advantage of the cheapest option in your plan. A basic S&P 500 index fund. Some charge as little as 0.1 % vs. 1% or more for actively managed funds. If your 401K doesn't offer other low cost investment options, diversify elsewhere. Save enough to get the company match. Then fund an IRA, where you can choose which bond funds or foreign funds to go with. While you're at it, dump company stock. About $1 out of every $7 in 401K is invested in employer shares. But your income is already tied to that company. Your retirement shouldn't be too.
I'd like to add this. We spend a lifetime building wealth, yet success and failure can come down to a hand full of years. Those just prior to and after you stop collecting a paycheck. The odds say that given how long retirement is, you should keep the bulk of your portfolio in equities. Yet you don't get to play out thousands of scenarios. You only get one try. Dial down equities to half or less as you near the danger zone. You can always take on more risk after, when the stakes are smaller.

Very good info here for someone looking at Saia to hopefully be my new employer. I do have a question and I'm sure if I get an offer I'll have more. Linehaul vs. Teams? Pros and cons? I've always been a solo driver but I'm flirting with the idea of teams. Anyone want to throw their .02¢ in?

I run team out of Dls and it works out perfect for me. The only real downside is your gone 5 full days.
Plus side for me was having a set schedule and steady miles.