XPO | repo man

:hide: I don't know what is happening out there on the left coast, but back east, we are the only ones parking the newer tractors.
Concerning shiny equipment, I could care less about shiny, just give us modern, safe equipment to continue to be the leader in the LTL industry.
The CRAP tractors that our L/H DSR'S are using are a step back into the dark ages!
No anti-lock brakes.
No heated mirrors.
19th century sprung suspension.
Dog houses that have been on and off so many times, without ever replacing the seal, and now freezing the drivers legs.
Not to mention that when the temperature goes into the single digits, these units require an outside vendor to get them started.
Integrity: Down the tubes!
Safety: Down the tubes!
Financially: The biggest mistake we could have made!
Trust their judgement? What choice do we have? Quit?
Only time will tell.
Can the Nascar truck, Can the truck driving rodeo, Can all the videos, Can the micromanagement, let's get back to hauling the freight and being the industry Leader!!!!!!!:smilie_132:

Every new tractor, 07, 08 I have is parked, a total of 18...we are no different than you..I believe I said "I have no choice" but to trust their judgement on this for now...I don't agree that it is the biggest financial mistake we could make...I understand all the negativity about doing what we are doing..

Every new tractor, 07, 08 I have is parked, a total of 18...we are no different than you..I believe I said "I have no choice" but to trust their judgement on this for now...I don't agree that it is the biggest financial mistake we could make...I understand all the negativity about doing what we are doing..

:hide: We don't have any '07's but all of the '08's are parked and red tagged. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, when the temperature went to 10-15 below zero, we had TWO outside vendors at our barn, for four hours, trying to get the outdated JUNK started!!!!! All the while, drivers are waiting to go on their runs.
How cost efficient is that?
I may have mispoke when I said it is the biggest financial mistake we could have made, but it is pretty close!:smilie_132:

This morning there was a guy taking pics who, when asked, said he was with First National or Myth Rational ....or something...

Watch out if u drive an 08 or 07 the repo man is coming. Dont stop at truck stops you might come out and see him taking your truck.:biglaugh::smilie_132:

:hide: This is BS! The higher up's have a plan, however misguided it may be. Our parked tractors are still licensed and insured, and I believe they are payed for.:smilie_132:

I heard we have call blocking now because of all of the bill collectors. As we speak there is an angry lady in the parking lot screeming at the FOM that she wants her money! Wow! She really should be wearing more clothes considering how cold it is. Heels, Nylons, Mini skirt, Tube Top. MAN, she looks dressed for church and it's not Sunday? She's Hot!

I heard we have call blocking now because of all of the bill collectors. As we speak there is an angry lady in the parking lot screeming at the FOM that she wants her money! Wow! She really should be wearing more clothes considering how cold it is. Heels, Nylons, Mini skirt, Tube Top. MAN, she looks dressed for church and it's not Sunday? She's Hot!
:hide: Hey Bank, you really like to stir the pot with your big spoon!!!!! Fun is good!:smilie_132:

Simply, No...

Now that 07 or 08 might turn into a 97 or 98 but con-way has cash, besides, Con-way owns our trucks outright, we don't lease them or "make payments"... That's why we have a truck budget every year... To Buy new equipment not make payments on it...

This is yet another reason this is so frustrating. Not many companies this size - or any size can do that. Con-way was set up as a money making machine an those at the helm now seem hell-bent on "enhancing" that.

For some strange reason I'm having trust issues with our current management. I do not believe for on second that this truck fiasco will save the company one dime in the short or long term - not to mention the negative publicity from this junk pulling into a customers dock.

This is yet another reason this is so frustrating. Not many companies this size - or any size can do that. Con-way was set up as a money making machine an those at the helm now seem hell-bent on "enhancing" that.

For some strange reason I'm having trust issues with our current management. I do not believe for on second that this truck fiasco will save the company one dime in the short or long term - not to mention the negative publicity from this junk pulling into a customers dock.
:hide:
WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smilie_132:

Hagerstown just got their Transport News cancelled!

Hagerstown seems to be the red-headed step child for enhancements. Well the elimination of the subscription should save about twenty large a year. That will cover the first 15 minutes of a vendor trying to start an old Ford.

Hagerstown seems to be the red-headed step child for enhancements. Well the elimination of the subscription should save about twenty large a year. That will cover the first 15 minutes of a vendor trying to start an old Ford.
:hide: I really don't know what the costs are, but I believe, they are astronomicubically, compared to running the newer equipment!!!:smilie_132:

gentlemen and ladies. don't worry bout driving these fine piece of equipment. con-way freight will not buy anymore trucks. we will be driving cfi trucks in the future. they will butcher them and give them to us. we will be getting better equipment with the cfi trucks, hopefully.

I saw this once before !

gentlemen and ladies. don't worry bout driving these fine piece of equipment. con-way freight will not buy anymore trucks. we will be driving cfi trucks in the future. they will butcher them and give them to us. we will be getting better equipment with the cfi trucks, hopefully.
I drove for duff truck lines. I saw them buy with cash brand new 1973 GMC road units, only 100 of them. Got them ready and then parked them for only eight months. No one understood that either. However, when they were put in service they all needed new batteries and tires, dryrot tires and frozen batteries. Now lets assume that the tires and batteries are a lot better in todays age. Maybe those things are porperly taken care of by Conway. Duff did last for 13 years after this, but why did they do this?
Conway seems to be a well run company as I see it from the outside. :popcorn:

We have so many new trucks parked at our place, it looks like a dealership.

I can understand the thinking though. As bad as it looks, to both employees and customers, driving crummy old trucks, I do agree that we might as well get our money's worth out of the old ones.

No one wants to buy them, or pay anything if they do.
Now, with that said, there has to be a line drawn somewhere between the money saved versus the money it costs when that old truck starts breaking down and/or needing road service or repair.

We've had more trucks break down on the way to our FAC in the last 2-3 weeks that I can remember in the last 2 years.

Is it any shock that these old trucks, especially given the cold weather in much of the country, have begun to lay down on us?

What is frustrating is spending money on that truck that broke down to patch it together, then sending it out again the next night. At some point, you have to quit throwing good money after bad.

As far as morale, it is perilously low.

It baffles me how GO cannot see that a time of economic terminations, low freight volume, bad weather, a poor national/global economy is not the time to be spending money on printing a book about 'living the dream'.

I'll accept that perhaps the committment was made to print the book months ago, but for goodness sake, does anyone think before sending that out?

Maybe wait until the economy picks up before sending out a self-promoting piece of propaganda. What makes it an even bigger waste is the enormous number of guys who, as soon as they were handed that book, tossed it directly into the trash can.

Who, or what purpose, is served by that whole episode?
If GO really thinks a little booklet with feel-good stories is going to motivate and/or re-energize our workforce, they are seriosuly out of touch with reality.
Money is wasted all over Con-Way, on things that we could easily do without.

I realize times are tough. There have to be cut-backs and yes---sacrifices have to be made---but I wouldn't mind so much if it actually appeared as GO was trying to save money too.

Management continues to grow. Go to the Con-Way internet page and look at the job openings. By far, the location with the most is CGO. As far as I know, not a single piece of freight is handled there---yet they're hiring.

Bottom line, we're in the business of getting items from one place to another. Beyond that, most things are superfluous.
{jobs like: Second Assistant Vice-Deputy Director Safety Coordinator in Charge of Regional Lean Six Sigma Implementation, etc., etc.} (That's a fictional job title by the way, but sounds just like something GO would concoct.)

If we'd just concentrate on getting people's stuff moved, undamaged and on time, the rest would take care of itself.
If we didn't tear stuff up, we'd have to turn the business away.

I see drivers tear freight up, whether accidentally or on purpose I don't know, but either way, it's followed by a shrug and an, "Oh well, no one else cares, why should I?"
If I've heard that once, I've heard it 300 times.

These guys think they're getting back at GO with that attitude, but the only ones being hurt in the long run is themselves, you & me included.

I try to have a good attitude, but some guys just won't have any part of it.

Of course, they're the same guys who are too busy looking for, and complaining about the lack of, soup when it's cold out.

Forests and trees....

We have so many new trucks parked at our place, it looks like a dealership.

I can understand the thinking though. As bad as it looks, to both employees and customers, driving crummy old trucks, I do agree that we might as well get our money's worth out of the old ones.

No one wants to buy them, or pay anything if they do.
Now, with that said, there has to be a line drawn somewhere between the money saved versus the money it costs when that old truck starts breaking down and/or needing road service or repair.

We've had more trucks break down on the way to our FAC in the last 2-3 weeks that I can remember in the last 2 years.

Is it any shock that these old trucks, especially given the cold weather in much of the country, have begun to lay down on us?

What is frustrating is spending money on that truck that broke down to patch it together, then sending it out again the next night. At some point, you have to quit throwing good money after bad.

As far as morale, it is perilously low.

It baffles me how GO cannot see that a time of economic terminations, low freight volume, bad weather, a poor national/global economy is not the time to be spending money on printing a book about 'living the dream'.

I'll accept that perhaps the committment was made to print the book months ago, but for goodness sake, does anyone think before sending that out?

Maybe wait until the economy picks up before sending out a self-promoting piece of propaganda. What makes it an even bigger waste is the enormous number of guys who, as soon as they were handed that book, tossed it directly into the trash can.

Who, or what purpose, is served by that whole episode?
If GO really thinks a little booklet with feel-good stories is going to motivate and/or re-energize our workforce, they are seriosuly out of touch with reality.
Money is wasted all over Con-Way, on things that we could easily do without.

I realize times are tough. There have to be cut-backs and yes---sacrifices have to be made---but I wouldn't mind so much if it actually appeared as GO was trying to save money too.

Management continues to grow. Go to the Con-Way internet page and look at the job openings. By far, the location with the most is CGO. As far as I know, not a single piece of freight is handled there---yet they're hiring.

Bottom line, we're in the business of getting items from one place to another. Beyond that, most things are superfluous.
{jobs like: Second Assistant Vice-Deputy Director Safety Coordinator in Charge of Regional Lean Six Sigma Implementation, etc., etc.} (That's a fictional job title by the way, but sounds just like something GO would concoct.)

If we'd just concentrate on getting people's stuff moved, undamaged and on time, the rest would take care of itself.
If we didn't tear stuff up, we'd have to turn the business away.

I see drivers tear freight up, whether accidentally or on purpose I don't know, but either way, it's followed by a shrug and an, "Oh well, no one else cares, why should I?"
If I've heard that once, I've heard it 300 times.

These guys think they're getting back at GO with that attitude, but the only ones being hurt in the long run is themselves, you & me included.

I try to have a good attitude, but some guys just won't have any part of it.

Of course, they're the same guys who are too busy looking for, and complaining about the lack of, soup when it's cold out.

You have to remember that it is hard to see the trees for the forest from an ivory tower....

In my opinion this whole deal with parking the new trucks is just a big slap in the face to our drivers. The company has put equipment ahead of its people. Some of us have been here 15 , 20 or more years and now we have to drive this junk down the road for 9 to 11 hrs. every night. My lower back has been killing me the last 2 weeks. This is not something the company had to do. Its bad for morale, its bad for our public image. Its hard for me to want to keep the dream alive or go that extra mile when the company has me going down the road getting abused by the spring suspension. Its pretty obvious to me that the co. does not care about us at all. If they really want to save some money, get rid of that stupid nascar truck that nobody watches or cares about.