XPO | Should i send this to John L.

This may sound weird coming from a truck driver, but I like snow. I have elbow room, the woods, free resources to heat my house, and lots of fresh water. I like having a place where I can run naked, shoot deer, or do both at the same time if I want........ And that is when I appreciate deer tick repellent.

I live for the water and I will never be eaten by an alligator or shark. Was stationed in San Diego, so am aware of what So Cal/Mexico has to offer........But the weather was not what my question was about.......

It doesn't matter. You have 15 years left at Conway and will probably be promoted right out of Cali and we'll meet in my neck of the woods.

You would move for Conway.....wouldn't you?

Certain places, maybe...but Ohio way, no...Not a big fan of the midwest...promotions are not part of my future any more, and I am good with that..The one thing I have always liked about Con-way from a management perspective is you get to choose...If you want the ladder, they show you where you have to grab it to climb, and if you don't, that's ok too...you can contribute in so many different ways without ever having to climb, and I have seen the damage climbing has done to some people...I have more important things in my life, and I truly enjoy what I do..Success and failure mean alot more at the service center level, how you impact it, how you guide your team through it, how you deal with adversity..When the team is on a high, full of momentum, there is no better rush..It's almost like daring the world to stop you...And during that high, when you see all the smiling faces and the determination and the refusal to be knocked back, it just doesn't get any better..
Some SCMs will never understand that, I suppose, but many get it, and it is something we talk about frequently...

No problem with that BoxBoss. Everytime the FOS job comes open they start in on my husband and so far he's resisted. He's filled in on the job in the past while a former FOS was gone, he's even run smaller terminals while bosses were gone (not at Conway) but he loves to drive and get out. Which is strange to me since when he gets home and parks his hiney in the recliner or bed, I can't get another movement from him. Except to reach for the remote or his bedtime snack. LOL! But I have no problems with that, he's usually been up over 14 hours by then.

No problem with that BoxBoss. Everytime the FOS job comes open they start in on my husband and so far he's resisted. He's filled in on the job in the past while a former FOS was gone, he's even run smaller terminals while bosses were gone (not at Conway) but he loves to drive and get out. Which is strange to me since when he gets home and parks his hiney in the recliner or bed, I can't get another movement from him. Except to reach for the remote or his bedtime snack. LOL! But I have no problems with that, he's usually been up over 14 hours by then.

Wow thats me....are we married???:biglaugh:...I :biglaugh:jump in it with both feet when i leave the house but the next morning after watching the sun go down and come back up,,,I get in front of that tv and dont want to be bothered...except to eat or type on this laptop....And I to tried the management thing and it wasnt for me either....I love to drive and as a linhaul driver have always made more driving than I would of at an entry level management gig....So i would be making less while giving up something that I have always loved to do not to mention the aggravation that comes with a bosses job..

It's you only if you're big, mean, and have stinky feet....along with a wife that finds ways (accidentally of course) to raise your blood pressure. :Flame-On:

Wow thats me....are we married???:biglaugh:...I :biglaugh:jump in it with both feet when i leave the house but the next morning after watching the sun go down and come back up,,,I get in front of that tv and dont want to be bothered...except to eat or type on this laptop....And I to tried the management thing and it wasnt for me either....I love to drive and as a linhaul driver have always made more driving than I would of at an entry level management gig....So i would be making less while giving up something that I have always loved to do not to mention the aggravation that comes with a bosses job..

It's you only if you're big, mean, and have stinky feet....along with a wife that finds ways (accidentally of course) to raise your blood pressure. :Flame-On:

big yes....mean sometimes,but usually lovable...stinky feet,not sure because after beer brats and hardboiled eggs,and my body reacts,everybody runs away including the dog,but i am ok with it...as far as a wife that raises my blood pressure...definatly have that...but i know she knows i am going to explode......nothing accidental about that she knows after ive been gone for 14 to 16 hrs that i dont want to listen to her hollar about what the dog did to tick her off while i was gone...but she does it......OFTEN:biglaugh:

Remind me to tell you about the time I accidentally blew my hubby's eyebrows off....along with eyelashes and whole front of his hair. I finally confessed. About 10 years later..... :Flame-On:

big yes....mean sometimes,but usually lovable...stinky feet,not sure because after beer brats and hardboiled eggs,and my body reacts,everybody runs away including the dog,but i am ok with it...as far as a wife that raises my blood pressure...definatly have that...but i know she knows i am going to explode......nothing accidental about that she knows after ive been gone for 14 to 16 hrs that i dont want to listen to her hollar about what the dog did to tick her off while i was gone...but she does it......OFTEN:biglaugh:

Alright UPDATE still nothing from John but i did go and talk to my TM on Friday and i asked him if he had heard anything yet and he said no he thought that i should of heard something by now and i told him only from Human Resources.I told him that i received a phone call from a driver up north stating that one of our VP's (which one i don't know because we have VP's for everthing) was at his terimal asking drivers which would they rather have their 5% back or their 401k.Has anyone else heard anything about this? My TM told me that he has not heard anything and i said well it's kind of funny that,that was in "OUR" letter when i sent it (almost a month age).Also my TM told me that our VP of our region is coming down next Wedensday evening and having a meeting with us on Thursday morning.I asked him what for and "QUOTE" he has not been to our terimal and years and just wants to come down and see how things are going(yeah right).So i asked him does he think that he has seen the letter and he told me that if i got a responce from Human Resources then he would say proably he has seen it.Then i told him that it really didn't matter i was going to bring a copy of the letter and give it to him on Wedensday evening so he can have some reading material for when he is in hotel room that night.And i will also have a copy with me for Thursday morning just like the majority of our drivers will.And in closing i told him i'm trying to beleive what i'm being told by mangement and upper mangement on the changes that are taking place with the company but it's getting harder and harder to do this when you can't even get an email from the President of "OUR" company stating that he has received "OUR" letter.How hard would of it been to just send an email stating i have received your letter i could of lived with that for now(and yes Boxboss i know he's busy:biglaugh:but 30 second's if that to send an email come on) .Then my TM say's that he agreed with me.And yes i know that is what he is supposed to say because that is the way that Conway has programmed our TM's.Now until next everyone be safe and i will keep everyone informed on what happens next week.

Alright UPDATE still nothing from John but i did go and talk to my TM on Friday and i asked him if he had heard anything yet and he said no he thought that i should of heard something by now and i told him only from Human Resources.I told him that i received a phone call from a driver up north stating that one of our VP's (which one i don't know because we have VP's for everthing) was at his terimal asking drivers which would they rather have their 5% back or their 401k.Has anyone else heard anything about this? My TM told me that he has not heard anything and i said well it's kind of funny that,that was in "OUR" letter when i sent it (almost a month age).Also my TM told me that our VP of our region is coming down next Wedensday evening and having a meeting with us on Thursday morning.I asked him what for and "QUOTE" he has not been to our terimal and years and just wants to come down and see how things are going(yeah right).So i asked him does he think that he has seen the letter and he told me that if i got a responce from Human Resources then he would say proably he has seen it.Then i told him that it really didn't matter i was going to bring a copy of the letter and give it to him on Wedensday evening so he can have some reading material for when he is in hotel room that night.And i will also have a copy with me for Thursday morning just like the majority of our drivers will.And in closing i told him i'm trying to beleive what i'm being told by mangement and upper mangement on the changes that are taking place with the company but it's getting harder and harder to do this when you can't even get an email from the President of "OUR" company stating that he has received "OUR" letter.How hard would of it been to just send an email stating i have received your letter i could of lived with that for now(and yes Boxboss i know he's busy:biglaugh:but 30 second's if that to send an email come on) .Then my TM say's that he agreed with me.And yes i know that is what he is supposed to say because that is the way that Conway has programmed our TM's.Now until next everyone be safe and i will keep everyone informed on what happens next week.

What you mentioned about the choice on givebacks is something we heard as well, but it is very preliminary...being talked about, is what we were told...

If I was your SCM, I would send a message to John asking him to call me and I would discuss it with him...And that's no lie..I know some of you think that's like scarecrow showing up at Emerald City banging on the big door, demanding to see OZ, but I can only laugh at that..Tell your SCM to 'man up"...

pnd he has a point if you really want call ann arbor and ask for him.....what do you have to lose...worst case you leave a message with his asst...maybe you will get lucky and he answers.....just be sure you want to go to that level before you call

pnd he has a point if you really want call ann arbor and ask for him.....what do you have to lose...worst case you leave a message with his asst...maybe you will get lucky and he answers.....just be sure you want to go to that level before you call

P&D;
Trucker is 100% right. We still have a Open Door Policy. You can get on the phone and call anyone you want. Have done it many times. BUT make sure you want to stick your neck out that far and have all of your little Ducks lines up in a row. BUT from your letter , the Ducks are lines up and your Neck is already stuck out there SO!!!! GO for it and GOOD LUCK!!!!:shift::shift:

P&D;
Trucker is 100% right. We still have a Open Door Policy. You can get on the phone and call anyone you want. Have done it many times. BUT make sure you want to stick your neck out that far and have all of your little Ducks lines up in a row. BUT from your letter , the Ducks are lines up and your Neck is already stuck out there SO!!!! GO for it and GOOD LUCK!!!!:shift::shift:

You'll are right i'm going to get with my PS and get the phone# for Ann Arbor and give him a call.Hell i really don't have anything to lose.And your right BoxBoss i don't understand why everyone is so scared of contacting John, from what i hear he is a pretty descent guy but i really don't know i,myself have never talked to him but i've heard it from a few different people including your self. Or should i just wait and see what our VP has to say on Thursday in our meeting?And then i can call if we don't get some sort of response on Friday or early next week.

You'll are right i'm going to get with my PS and get the phone# for Ann Arbor and give him a call.Hell i really don't have anything to lose.And your right BoxBoss i don't understand why everyone is so scared of contacting John, from what i hear he is a pretty descent guy but i really don't know i,myself have never talked to him but i've heard it from a few different people including your self. Or should i just wait and see what our VP has to say on Thursday in our meeting?And then i can call if we don't get some sort of response on Friday or early next week.

Do what you are most comfortable doing...I already know what the man is like, I have no reason to lie about it..

Do what you are most comfortable doing...I already know what the man is like, I have no reason to lie about it..
P&D;
It's just like BOX said , " What ever you are comfortable doing." You might wait until after the VP visit on Thursday . If he does not answer your questions to you satisfation , then call XGO and ask for John L. I have never talked to John L. , I have talked with all of the others from the past except for McCliman ( However you spell his name). I did not always hear what I wanted to hear but they would talk to me. BUT There WERE times that I was happy after talking to them. The main thing is keep you cool. Know what you want to say. Use tact while you are telling them your opinion. As long as you use tact and keep your cool you can say just about anything you want to.:shift::shift:

To whom it may concern,

My name is xxxx xxxxxxxx out of xxxxx xx. (xxx). I’m writing this letter on behalf of 99.9% of employees at this facility regarding concerns and issues that we have here at Con-way. With me being a senior driver of 13yrs I would like to start out with the issues that us senior drivers have. Senior meaning regular employee hired before January 1st 2006.
First, it was in our compensation package to have a retirement pension better then what the company currently offers. We would really like for the company to reevaluate the pension plan and try to revamp it to make it better than what it is now. We know that Con-way started matching our 401K a little better but that has not been good enough. With the way the economy is most of us have lost a majority of our money. We really think that there is some changes that could be made for the better and we would hope that Con-way would try and to fix this problem.
Second, is our vacation, which is another thing that was part of our compensation package when hired on with the company. We are all unable to comprehend why Con-way would do something like this to the backbone of the company. This is a major issue that Con-way needs to address. We would hope that you all would reconsider the plan that Con-way has in effect and try and make it more beneficial and feasible for all. This here is one of the most important to us drivers we work long and hard for this company and we know that Con-way will do the right thing.
Third, are sick days, which once again was originally part of our compensation package. This issue is not as big as an issue as the others. It is just a point that we are trying to get across to the company that a majority of us where promised these things and they have all been taken away.
Forth, health insurance that originally was no cost to us, which is not the case now. WOW those where the days, now we hear that medical expenses are going up which is true but wouldn’t you think that a company of our size would shop around to find a better health care provider for their employees that offers better coverage. Because over the years we started paying 1% of our gross with pretty descent coverage, then they decided to go to a flat rate and we started paying more for doctor visits. And now we pay $35.00 dollars a week for 90% coverage. We found out about this change through the mail, however, we should have been advised via video. We see videos on everything else but this one must have slipped through the cracks. It’s a shame that someone dropped the ball on explaining this to their employees instead of letting us find out the way we did.
Fifth, making the senior drivers drive these older trucks on longer runs which would not be a bad idea if Con-way would repair issues that the drivers write up to make our job a lot easier for us. It’s also a shame how the drivers tear up the equipment that the company has purchased for us to do our job. If the company would hold the terminals accountable for their equipment and give it to terminals with drivers that would take care of company equipment. But back to the issue at hand in our eyes it seems to us that Con-way is trying to run off the senior drivers so they can put drivers that make less money, but more money for the company. We would hope that they would not do this because that would be showing us how the company really feels about us. We really don’t believe that Con-way wants to put more miles on the older trucks we think it’s an easy way for them to try and get a senior driver to quit. Think about this you drive 550 mile turn in a truck that has no a/c and in some cases no heat and is better off in a junk yard. You are also scared to death that it might leave you on the side of the road. How would upper management feel about driving a 10yr old company car on a daily basis? We all know that this is not going to happen but its okay for the backbone of the company to do it. This is another issue that needs to be addressed promptly. We’re hoping once again that Con-way will make the right decision on looking into this matter.
Next we would like to address the 5% pay cut, 10% for upper management and stoppage of our 401k match for every employee. It’s kind of funny that a month and a half before these latest changes everyone in upper management got their stock options. We ask the question why and we were told that this is part of their compensation WOW doesn’t that sound familiar they got to keep there’s but ours was taken from us. Now on with the pay cuts we don’t know about upper management but 5% for us is a lot of money. We’re okay with the 5% if the company truly needed it to stay afloat, all that we ask is when the economy gets better can we please have it back but we know that this is not going to happen. It is going to take three years to get it back once the economy gets better. We all would rather have our 5% back instead of the matching of the 401k when we meet our 95% for two straight quarters. Now with the 10% (only FedEx management lost this not their drivers) that upper management supposedly lost we feel that this should have been enough for the time being. This has been the problem with Con-way for years. When something is not going as planned management panics and then that is when we get the short end of the stick. Con-way will keep putting their hands in to their employee’s pockets when we think there are other ways to save money which is another topic that we will touch on later in this letter.
Now with everything listed above and the economy back to the way it used to be what would the company have to offer new drivers besides a job? Absolutely nothing when you can go to one of our competitors that have left their employees pay and/or benefits untouched, through what we have been told, is hard times. It’s a shame because I can remember a time when you would look at what Con-way had to offer, and you could not believe everything in front of you. Free health insurance, 10 sick days, two weeks’ vacation after one year of service, and a retirement pension. Also back in the day this use to be a company that really cared for their employees but it seems to us that it is all about the almighty dollar now.
How about the senior drivers that we have, do you think that they will really stay around when the economy gets better? From what I have been hearing it really doesn’t look like they will unless Con-way makes some drastic changes which we all hope they will. Con-way really has a great bunch of people that work for them and I would really hate to see anyone go somewhere else because then Con-way would have to spend money on new hires, training them and everything else that is involved in hiring a new employee.
Now about the surveys that we did a couple weeks back I think that was a great idea for the company to see how we really feel and I hope that everyone throughout the company answered the questions honestly. If so, then Con-way should be able to see that this is not just isolated issues. I know that in xxxxx we where as honest as we could be. We hope, once again, that Con-way will look at the surveys and really take them to heart because we really do have a problem with this company that needs to be addressed. We know, or hope, that upper management opens their eyes and really does something to make this a better place to work.
Concerns
In our eyes it looks to us that Con-way is being run the same way that CF was and we know what happened to them. I sure hope not because I really wanted to retire from this company but it is really looking like that might not happen because each and every day that I get up and go to work I’m sick and tired of the moral and attitudes around this company. I can remember a time when I enjoyed coming to work because it used to be a great place, but now it’s just another trucking company I’m really ashamed to say that but it’s the truth. The company can really do something about this it could be something as little as a hot dog once a month. Or even to hear “YOU REALLY DID A GOOD JOB TODAY”. This alone would go a long way. I know the company is trying to save money any way they know how but come on there are other ways of doing this.
First, company cars the only ones in the company that need them are AE because they go out and meet with our customers and take them out to lunch or to sporting events. If everyone who has a company car drove it every other week just think of the money the company would save or better yet do away with them for everyone else. NOW think of the money that the company would be saving no more lease payments, no insurance, no gas, no maintenance, and no more paying for over mileage. This alone would save the company A LOT of money. The problem with Con-way is that they got too big to quick and now everyone is scrambling to keep our share holders happy.
Second, videos that we see like every week could be done by the internet with the technology that we have today. I know videos don’t cost a lot of money but its money. And it all adds up on the bottom line.
Third, DR’s I don’t know how much they cost but once again its money. I see a lot of DR’s that are printed and the only thing on them is the phone # to our customer service. The company needs to look at ways to fix this because on any given morning there will be a minimum of 50 DR’s that have been torn off and thrown in the trash.
Fourth, are posters and all of the other stuff that the company wastes money on. Conway could tell us in a memo or at out weekly meeting. We are not a bunch of school kids that you have to keep reminding. You tell us once and there is no reason that we have to see it plastered on every wall everywhere you look. Once again it all costs money and less profit on the bottom line.
Next thing that we would like to touch on is pay scales for the company, we have been hearing this for years that the company is working on it and nothing has changed. This needs to be addressed immediately. Because it’s not right that 2/3rds of the company gets overtime after 8 and we get it after 50 hours a week. We would like to know how many drivers that are making overtime after 8 are really working 50 to 55 hours a week. We’ve also heard that the company is looking into the pay scales for different areas of the country if this is the case great that is a step in the right direction.
Now onto our core values:
COMMITMENT:
Commitment entails management making the right decisions which would result in happy employees that feel appreciated. In the long run this would pay off for Con-way, because we would be more willing to go that extra mile.
INTEGRITY:
Integrity consists of keeping your good name or maintaining your respectable character. Adherence to a code of values: utter sincerity and honesty. We all think that this has been lost here at Con-way. But this is an issue that can be fixed easily. It is up to upper management to turn this around.
EXCELLENCE:
Excellence is what this company used to be. Excellent in every aspect of the LTL business but in recent years Con-way has lost sight of this core value. I don’t know if they have lost sight or if it is just arrogance. It might be a little bit of both. Once again it’s up to upper management to turn it around.
SAFETY:
Safety is really not that bad of an issue here at Con-way. It is one of the safest places that I’ve ever had the privilege to work. Safe drivers are respectfully acknowledged and rewarded. If Con-way would put forth the effort on Commitment, Integrity, and Excellence as they do for Safety then this would put us at the top of our game ONCE AGAIN.
In closing, we would like to say that we all know about the EFCA which President Obama wants. God forbid this passes with the way the employees feel here at Con-way I would hate to think of what would happen to this company and our future. And I hope that with me writing this letter it doesn’t put a bull’s eye on me. I’m trying to be as professional as I can when writing this letter and I would hope that the company would appreciate me taking the time to do this on behalf of the employees in xxxxx as well as throughout the entire company. We are not trying to talk bad about our company; instead, we are wanting it to be the place it once was. We just thought we would write this letter and send it to management, letting them decide what is best for us and our future. It is time for management to step up and listen to what we really have to say. Our careers are in your hands so please try and not let us down. We know things are not going to change overnight. It is going to take some time but if we all do our part things will move a lot quicker and we will be able to get to the top ONCE AGAIN!

Sincerely,
Xxxx xxxxxxxx
On behalf of everyone at Con-way
Yes, why not, its a great letter!

what kind of responce are you looking for? and what are you expecting ? or are you just venting?? re: YOUR letter.

Alright this should be my last post on this issue.Well here goe's like i said before our VP of our region came down and talked to me about my letter."QUOTE" if you do not like the way or direction the company is going then Conway is not the company for you:nutkick:.And then a whole lot of smoke and mirror's. We are looking in to that and we are looking at this and YEAH,YEAH,YEAH:BlahBlah:. Just like the political answers i thought i would hear not surpised at all:BS:.And to all the people that kept saying nice working with you or you really have a set.I still have my job for now and we still have a open door policy so i did my part and i feel a whole lot better now then a did before.Now that everthing is out in the open on the way we feel, oh i'm sorry,the way i feel.I will come in and do my job to the best of my ability:wink1:and look out for myself because i finally realized that the company we work for definitly does not care for us,Damn i keep forgetting, the way that i feel.I am really ashamed that it has took me this long to realize this i thought my parents raised me better then that.But then again i fell for everything that was being told to me just like other people have but it is time for me to move on and keep doing what i do best. So i hope everyone enjoyed this thread and if anything happens from here on out i will be sure to let everyone know.

I am just really happy that we work for a company that would not file your letter in the trash. John Labrie would actually read this and take everything you put here into consideration. Trust me guys, they give a ::shit::. They want to stay in business and keep their jobs as much as you do. If we turn a profit, we will all see the benefits. This is a company like no other. The actually care, and sometimes that means they have to make hard choices.

Thank you.

With your actions and backbone, you have demonstrated right where we stand. We are nothing more then pawns in their quest to fatten their already obese bank accounts. If more people did what you did, they would eat those words of comfort, respect, and loyalty that they dispatched a VP to personally deliver to you.

What are they really capable of? - Watch and see. - But don't resist as that just makes it much more.....um.....uncomfortable. Assimilate so you won't be left out when the wages top nearly 10 dollars an hour.

Sooooo.......What are they going to take away next???