TForce | So you think UPS isn't serious about safety?

OK, I have read all the UPSF is serious about safety posts. So I thought for a second that I might see it in action. With this major ice storm I thought that maybe someone would make the call and say it was unsafe to be out on the roads and shut down the terminals or cancel the runs. I waited and waited and waited and no one ever called or said a word about it. It was buisness as usual. Allthough the swipe card read out did say to, Have a safe trip.

This don't make sense because they would not let anyone run in or out of Denver. Which it has never been that way.....If the road was open you went......Not saying that is was a bad idea but FedEx, OD, Estes and many others ran, not good service plan. Adn what is with the inconsistancy??????

This don't make sense because they would not let anyone run in or out of Denver. Which it has never been that way.....If the road was open you went......Not saying that is was a bad idea but FedEx, OD, Estes and many others ran, not good service plan. Adn what is with the inconsistancy??????

Absolutely, we hired on in the great state we live in knowing full well the weather in the hills can be great on the way in, and turn into snake poop on a rainy day on the way back. We are the drivers that make the run and should be ready willing and able to do so, regardless of the weather. Unlike a driver awhile back during one of the first storms we got this year, all the extra boards declined the run over the mountain because "its snowing",,,,,,, BOO DAMM HOO. They should have made the junior extra board go, or be fired, then up the line. We are pro's, we know where we live and how to drive here.
All you have to do, is when you start down hill, turn your mirrors in so you cant see the back trailer, and just assume it isnt trying to beat you down the hill.

How much power does a senior driver have over you if you demand your human need to relieve your self of unwanted body fluids?

Only the power that the newbe allows them to have.

In my opinon a phone call to the TM that hired them could help straighten out the thinking of anyone that thinks they have to be the hero,at others expenece.

If this is going,on it sounds like a form of harrasement,and we all know that there are laws in place that can put a screaching stop to this practise.

local776, are you a female? you don't sound like a man talking here. or are you of this new generation, they seemed to be stressed out by everything. and you were belittled? please dont shoot your co-driver or yourself for that matter. nobody can tell you to **** in a bottle so truck doesn't stop. and breaks are your choice, no company can tell you you can't stop at all , all night long. you should know that, you have a CDL, i take it ,so you should have read the laws and such.busting balls is part of being a new guy just about in any occupation you get into, in one way or another.surely there are a few senior men at your terminal you can get truthful answers from for any questions you might have, and ignore the ones who wont help.i assume you came there to work and make money, not to make friends.ask your road dispathcer who you can ask for help, i'm sure they would let you know who would give the right advice. also, curious about your handle, 776? you use a union type handle, yet you worry about alittle ball busting, if you were union you would know that pissing in bottle his crap!!
if 3 junior guys tell you the same thing about 1 certain driver they were put with what would you think, all i will say is there was a incident with this driver towards another driver,Nothing came out of that. yes management was told about incidents with this driver NOTHING DONE, so i guess if your friend is management nothing gets done.
I dont worry cause i wont take the crap other driver have. The chain of command is a good thing but sometimes a person needs to step up the ladder 2 steps at a time.

We used to have safety meetings once a month when we were Overnite.
After the first of this year as UPS Freight we have at least a 5 minute safety meeting every single morning before we go out on our runs.
At least this is going on at my RCH#126 terminal.
How about the rest of the terminals in the system?
Is all the TM's doing this for their city drivers,and dock crew?

I think we are all safer when we start our shifts with safety awearness issues,that are really benefficial to one,and all.

If you are always focused on being safe,you will be.
Accidents happen as a rule when you aren't paying attention to what you are doing.

has anyone learnd what the red/yellow knobs are used for? This is a saying I was told years ago: When it snows go slow, when there is ICE- NO Dice. I rather wear my pant not have them rideing me.

I'm with buster,,,took me 4 weeks to get a head light fixed,safty first!!!they had my tractor for 7 weeks for a so called "P.M"
I have wrote up a bad steering pump for about year and a half before they took it,,,,yup you guessed it !! still leaks ,every 2 or 3 weeks it gets a drink,,guess the oil on the springs wasn't enough indication that something was wrong,,,,so whats this about safty?? as long as it dont cost them ITS SAFE

Well I'd say a call to your local D.O.T. for a visit to your terminal to inspect their equipment,would be something you could do BEGONE.

You may not be able to come to work for awhile.
When the D.O.T. comes to a business and finds safety violations,they start tagging everything till its fixed.

Than they write out tickets so they can collect some nice big fat fines,for non-compliance to safety regulations.

This is always something anyone can do,if the company doesn't want to work with their employees suggestions to fix it,or dead line it till it is fixed.
Remember if you the driver know something isn't safe,than just go ahead and drive it.
If something comes of it in any negative way.
You are just as guilty as anyone who told you to go with it.

How many city vans in your yard with the brakes out of adjustment? I think you could dead line most of the North East. Ever hook to a pup and it keeps rolling back. I would say 8 out of 10 pups are also out of adjustment.

Well what more can I say on this topic?
You the driver see something thats not safe to move.
You either tag it and dead line it,or go to your TM.
If he doesn't want to bother fixing it,and tells you to just go with it.
Your the one that has to keep your CDL to keep driving for a living.
The next call for you is intirely up to you.
If you take it out,than something happens with your knowledge of the violation,is your TM going to say.
He didn't want to take it,but I told him too?
I really think your living in a dream world if you think they are going to stick up for you?

I think by now every terminal has an inhouse safety trainer.
We all have the phone numbers of the head safety directors in Richmond VA headquarters.

I'm telling you we aren't the same old Overnite/Motor Cargo when it comes to operating safely.
UPS is paying us,and they want it their way.

If you have no other option than call your local DOT.
If you don't have a local DOT to contact,than theres always your state police.

I can't stress this enough,if you go out with something thats not safe,and something comes of it to the negative,its totally on your head.
So take this advice,or leave it.
I'm not only a safety trainer.
I've been driving for a living now into my 44th year.
I know very well that every TM,and supervisor looks out for themselves.
We drivers will be hung out to dry in short order,if we listen to management for something we know is wrong.

As far as I know ONLY a certified mechanic from the company is allowed to dead line and tag equiptment. For those terminals that don't have mechanics, Its always the drivers call to not take it if its not safe. I only refused six trailers this week for brake adjustments. The down fall, I sit with out pay waiting for a vendor to be called in.

Well what more can I say on this topic?
You the driver see something thats not safe to move.
You either tag it and dead line it,or go to your TM.
If he doesn't want to bother fixing it,and tells you to just go with it.
Your the one that has to keep your CDL to keep driving for a living.
The next call for you is intirely up to you.
If you take it out,than something happens with your knowledge of the violation,is your TM going to say.
He didn't want to take it,but I told him too?
I really think your living in a dream world if you think they are going to stick up for you?

I think by now every terminal has an inhouse safety trainer.
We all have the phone numbers of the head safety directors in Richmond VA headquarters.

I'm telling you we aren't the same old Overnite/Motor Cargo when it comes to operating safely.
UPS is paying us,and they want it their way.

If you have no other option than call your local DOT.
If you don't have a local DOT to contact,than theres always your state police.

I can't stress this enough,if you go out with something thats not safe,and something comes of it to the negative,its totally on your head.
So take this advice,or leave it.
I'm not only a safety trainer.
I've been driving for a living now into my 44th year.
I know very well that every TM,and supervisor looks out for themselves.
We drivers will be hung out to dry in short order,if we listen to management for something we know is wrong.

You know AP, If I have a trailer that brakes needs adjusting I go to the shop and it takes what 5 minutes.

However, I think we are the only company that has brakes out of adjustment the way these guys try to make it sound.

Being apart of the safety team myself I better start talking to all the drivers just in case they don't know the proper steps to get their brakes adjusted.

Because 8 out of 10 my, my that is serious.:duh:

You know AP, If I have a trailer that brakes needs adjusting I go to the shop and it takes what 5 minutes.

However, I think we are the only company that has brakes out of adjustment the way these guys try to make it sound.

Being apart of the safety team myself I better start talking to all the drivers just in case they don't know the proper steps to get their brakes adjusted.

Because 8 out of 10 my, my that is serious.:duh:

Well thats nice you have a shop, Sit around for 3-4 hours and wait for a vendor. When there is no shop and there is no mechanic how does the equiptment stay maintained?:duh: