TForce | So you think UPS isn't serious about safety?

You know AP, If I have a trailer that brakes needs adjusting I go to the shop and it takes what 5 minutes.

However, I think we are the only company that has brakes out of adjustment the way these guys try to make it sound.

Being apart of the safety team myself I better start talking to all the drivers just in case they don't know the proper steps to get their brakes adjusted.

Because 8 out of 10 my, my that is serious.:duh:

8 out of 10, And you call your self a safety trainer. Thats two to many. Just one could cause a fatal crash. Maybe you should bring this up to the company and come up with a solution as to why so many trailers are running up and down the roads with no brakes. Hey, I got an idea, more maintenance. And I am not even a safety trainer. And yes as a trainer you should start talking to the drivers. Especially the new unexperianced drivers that dont even have a clue as to how to even check if the brakes are working properly on all units.

Heres another issue very few drivers ever even think of checking.
Trailer brake lights.
I asked in a safety meeting that we had how many ever checked to see if the trailer they were hooked to had working brake lights.
All I got was a puzzeled stare from every one of my terminals drivers.
At night its an easy thing to see if you have brake lights.
But during the day what do you do?
You can ask another driver,or dock crew to spot you.

Or heres what I do I have whats called a brake stick.
I measured the distance from the brake peddle of my tractor to the instrument panel,and cut a stick to jam in between.
When I do my pre trip,the last thing I do is jam that stike on the peddle turn off the light switch,and four ways,than go to the back of my trailer to see if the brake lights are on.

My TM wasn't happy with the responce I got in that safety meeting.

Everyone had their own idea of how to check for brake lights,but to this point not to many are checking them.

I can't be a baby sitter to adults that know better,and don't do what they should.

But again if they get a ticket,or someone rams into them without having brake lights its on them.

Heres another issue very few drivers ever even think of checking.
Trailer brake lights.
I asked in a safety meeting that we had how many ever checked to see if the trailer they were hooked to had working brake lights.
All I got was a puzzeled stare from every one of my terminals drivers.
At night its an easy thing to see if you have brake lights.
But during the day what do you do?
You can ask another driver,or dock crew to spot you.

Or heres what I do I have whats called a brake stick.
I measured the distance from the brake peddle of my tractor to the instrument panel,and cut a stick to jam in between.
When I do my pre trip,the last thing I do is jam that stike on the peddle turn off the light switch,and four ways,than go to the back of my trailer to see if the brake lights are on.

My TM wasn't happy with the responce I got in that safety meeting.

Everyone had their own idea of how to check for brake lights,but to this point not to many are checking them.

I can't be a baby sitter to adults that know better,and don't do what they should.

But again if they get a ticket,or someone rams into them without having brake lights its on them.

I pull the hand valve down that way you can check your brake lights and air leaks and make sure air is going through to the back trailer.

Our tractors chicken sticks,or trolley brake handles whatever you want to call it?

Anyway not all of our tractors brake handles activate the trailer lights.
I know my 1995 Volvo it doesn't light the lights when its tied down with a bungee strap I have.

So this brake stick idea works the best for me.

Just a small piece of junk wood cut to length,and stored behind my seat.
I did make one more for another driver that wanted one.

The tractors we do have that the steering colume hand valve does work the trailer lights,sometimes drivers check,most of the time they forget.

Just one more thing we should all be doing with every hook up.

This is something that can really be trouble if the trailer brake lights aren't working,for the consequence that could come from not making sure we have these lights.

Yeah it is kind of funny those workers who are waring the same uniform as everyone else think whatever has the company name on it should also be available to them.

Like one Good Friday I was off,when some road driver came for fuel and to switch out his set,than helped himself to the CB antena on my mirror.
Hello that didn't belong to Overnite just because it was on a Overnite tractor.
That was mine pal.
Although I know its cheaper to have someone else purchase the equipment you need.

Well thats nice you have a shop, Sit around for 3-4 hours and wait for a vendor. When there is no shop and there is no mechanic how does the equiptment stay maintained?:duh:

Your right about this. There's a bunch of terminals in the northeast that don't have shops. The one that do, most of the time don't have mechanics.

Our Rochester terminal is shopless.
We have a guy thats a very good repare technician come to do repares on all of our equipment including our fork lifts.
He works out of Buffalo's shop.
But he's always floating from Buffalo,to Rochester,and Syracuse.
He really knows his trade.
I do feel sorry for him,because he has to do all of this work at our terminal under the stars.

Whatever works for checking to see if you have brake lights do it.
Its one of the parts of any pre trip,if they aren't working.
Can bring you a world of hurt,as well as anyone that slams into you on the street.

Working lights, infalted tires,and brakes are very important working components to go out safely on your merry way.

drive safely

Whatever works for checking to see if you have brake lights do it.
Its one of the parts of any pre trip,if they aren't working.
Can bring you a world of hurt,as well as anyone that slams into you on the street.

Working lights, infalted tires,and brakes are very important working components to go out safely on your merry way.

I like the other end returning home safe and happy