TForce | Teamsters or APWA (All Threads Merged)

I agree, I think he is mad at the world. All that negitive attitude and anger leads to a short life.

And appearently most of his or her time is speant involved on these boards telling us he or she has a contract. I am starting too think he or she has a contract allright but with a different union called the (White Jacket Society).:chairshot: :chairshot: :nutkick:

nospin,
While they are planning to build a pension fund, How does this help the thousands of upsf employee's that will retire within the next few years. Where will the money come from if there is not enough money built up in such a short time with this new union.

nospin, Please explain???????????????

So webidiot,what do you know about the contract talks?

You are putting post up about this current contract being well on its way to completion.
Unless I'm reading your posts wrong?
I thought you were a former Motor Cargo worker?
Why,or how would you know whats happening with the Indy contract talks?

If you do truely know something thats of a positive note,please post what you know.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give all of your UPS Freight co-workers.

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys need to exercise some patience. I spent the day watching college football at my local pub yesterday, which I find much more enjoyable than answering the same questions from you over and over and over..... Anyone catch the Ohio St/Michigan game? That helmet to helmet call was was weak.

When UPSF elects a bargaining agent, the new agent will take control of the pension/retirement fund. In the IBT's case, they will roll all of this money into their funds-- Central States, Western Conference, New England, Central PA, etc.... Your monthly payout will be reflected by the individual health of each fund. In the Western Conference, you may have no decrease. In the New England and Central States, expect to see a decrease in the value of your retirement. CS is already telling your co-workers in Texas that they will give 2years credit for every three years of service. Thats 33% of their retirement $$$ gone.

Should APWA become the agent, they will be awarded control of the retirement funds and continue to invest it. They will not be using your money to improve the financial stability of fund because the pension will already be 100% funded. At the least, you will receive the pension you were promised. With good market returns, this could be increased because UPS has used your retirment money to purchase bonds with a fixed interest rate that is below the market return.

So to review, UPSF employees nearing retirement would see no decrease and likely no increase in their pension under APWA control. If you have 10+ years left, you could see an increase in your monthly check. Should IBT manage your funds, then your monthly check could be decreased by up to 33% depending on what conference you would be in.

Were there other questions?

Why can't UPS just cut us a check for credit earned?

Take the fully funded pension money that's gone to UPS from Overnite,divide the money to all of us that have worked for at least 10 years for vestment.
Give us this money in a lump sum.
Let us invest it in whatever we want.
Than when the union takes over they can start fresh to have UPS pay into the union pension fund as part of our wage,and benefit package.
With whatever years of service they want for revestment in the union pension fund.

I would think this is the most fair way of dealling with the old 102% fully funded Overnite pension money.

Why should we have our pension money credited to us for our current years of service bounced from Overnite,to UPS,than to whatever outside organization winds up representing us?

I don't get it?
Whats fair, is fair,show me my money,take out the taxes first if you wish,than send me my check for the rest,thank you very much.

When UPSF elects a bargaining agent, the new agent will take control of the pension/retirement fund. In the IBT's case, they will roll all of this money into their funds-- Central States, Western Conference, New England, Central PA, etc.... Your monthly payout will be reflected by the individual health of each fund. In the Western Conference, you may have no decrease. In the New England and Central States, expect to see a decrease in the value of your retirement. CS is already telling your co-workers in Texas that they will give 2years credit for every three years of service. Thats 33% of their retirement $$$ gone.

Do you have proof of this? My understanding of it was that pension monies already earned would stay with UPSF and all new union UPSF employees would then start their Teamster pension new with 2 years of credit for every 3 already worked for Overnite/UPSF.

When retirement time comes, they will get two retirements. One from UPS and one from the Teamsters.

This makes a lot more sense than your scenerio. The Teamsters goal is to make an attractive offer to the UPSF guys. Not one that will cost them money.

Apostolic, I believe you mentioned going to a meeting about this. Can you clarify this for us please?

As I can recall the local Teamster meeting I attended addressed the union pension that we would get 2 for 1 years of the Overnite pension as a Teamsters pension as long as we were vested for 5 years as Teamsters.
If we didn't make the 5 years we would only get 1 for 1 years of the Overnite pension,which I guess they would have control of?
I'm not sure about that info?
But once the contract is setteled,and a majority vote is in favor of Teamsters representation,all our wages,and benefits will be included in the UPS Freight contract.
UPS will pay everything the same way they pay into the Teamster parcel deal they already have in place.

Now in my case,seeing I could retire anytime I want.
If I go before we are organized my pension will be coming from the old Overnite fund.
If I wait to retire after we are organized I would have to work another 5 years to get the 2 for 1 deal.
If I come short of the vestment period I will receive payments up to the time UPS Freight is organized,missing out on anyother monies put into the pension on my behalf.

I believe this is how I heard it from the locals vice president.
I hope this helps you with what you were looking for CFer.

being that I am a teamster covered on the current contract and motor cargos contract has been extended till the negiotation is complete. we at mc have a contract and when all is said and done we will still be the first terminal at upsfreight to have a contract with UPS not Indy. The language of the contract has been completed and the economic issues are being negiotated.

Thanks for this information,webidiot.
Can you share any of the contract issues covered in this UPS Freight customized Teamster contract?
Or do we all have to wait to see what we are getting ourselves into?

Do you know just how all of these details will be introduced to the rest of our terminals?

I really hate to pester you webidiot,but you seem to be the only one thats posted anything about the contract progress,lately.

more questions for the APWA

1. what will be the amount of dues for the UPSF employees.
2.since the upsf employees will not have buisness agents but will have PODS that is made up of Employees. Retirees, Company and APWA? Who is going to pay for the employees, retirees, ect.to hear a grievance?
3. How will social security affect your retirement with the apwa

Some of the Mcee Dees have large rooms if there isn't to many people at these debates.
Big Macks,and a soft drinks would be cheap enough if everyone paid for there own meal.

Or you could just rent a big tent and have it put up in a trucking companys parking lot,of choice.
Theres a lot of cheap ways of holding a meeting,
Why they could even use the pager on these truckingboards to have there debate.
The important results could be posted later.
Just a thought we'd have to ask Jeff if he would allow something like this on his boards?

Also I'm sure other trucking posters could think of other easy ways to have these talks between the two partys.

As long as you are starting a question thread,LOCAL776.
I have one.
If theres a grievance that can't be resolved on a local level where can it go to be worked out with all the partys involved?
I know when I was a Teamster we wrote our grievance out in triplcate.
One copy to the steward,one to the TM,and we kept one.
The next step was a meeting with our steward to represent us with the TM,if it wasn't resolved,our business agent came in from our local union hall.
After that it would go to the national union office in Washington DC.
Whatever the national came up with that was the end of it.

If we were represented by the APWA what would there process be?

nospin

If you guys want a debate then call Danny or Van and ask for one. Send them an email. Have your local type up an official request to have a debate on their letterhead and send it to the APWA's address. That would be the professional way to go about it. But a webboard is not the place to issue an invitation for a debate. Hoffa doesn't go to web boards and neither does Van or Danny.

Let me repeat this again since you guys don't catch stuff the first time around..... Call/email/mail the APWA to express your interest to have a debate between the APWA and IBT.
do you realy think the APWA will do this if asked

You guys need to exercise some patience. I spent the day watching college football at my local pub yesterday, which I find much more enjoyable than answering the same questions from you over and over and over..... Anyone catch the Ohio St/Michigan game? That helmet to helmet call was was weak.

Should APWA become the agent, they will be awarded control of the retirement funds and continue to invest it. They will not be using your money to improve the financial stability of fund because the pension will already be 100% funded. At the least, you will receive the pension you were promised. With good market returns, this could be increased because UPS has used your retirment money to purchase bonds with a fixed interest rate that is below the market return.

So to review, UPSF employees nearing retirement would see no decrease and likely no increase in their pension under APWA control. If you have 10+ years left, you could see an increase in your monthly check. Should IBT manage your funds, then your monthly check could be decreased by up to 33% depending on what conference you would be in.

Were there other questions?

The way I understood it, OUR pension money would freeze and NO ONE would touch this money except fot the employee's when they are eligble. I don't like the Idea of any one taking control of this money, Especially a new organization with a very small amount of members and no cash flow. I am to close to retirement to take this kind of risk.

This is what I'm doing on this new thread you've started,LOCAL776.
I'm just adding to the questions you started this thread with.
I guess you misunderstood my post reply?
Sorry about that.
I'm not the best communicator,when I try to get a point accross.

Keep in mind, Of all the questions asked, The answer's at this point are only the opinion's of a few poster's. We have not seen anything in the form of a contract where we can take this Information to the bank. Where this is a new organization and also UPSF being new to the APWA I don't Imagine that there is anything in writing.

being that I am a teamster covered on the current contract and motor cargos contract has been extended till the negiotation is complete. we at mc have a contract and when all is said and done we will still be the first terminal at upsfreight to have a contract with UPS not Indy. The language of the contract has been completed and the economic issues are being negiotated.

I would be willing to bet that you will get a much better revised contract than what you had with MC.