Yellow | tears of the elderly

I will be the first. :chairshot: If you honestly believe how the job is preformed by us will get more business its time to take a look around. Management says when loads move, how much to cram for load factor, how much discount given, if an early closer is on the back or in the nose. Please tell me how you think I can get more business, and I pray you don't say ask for just one more. Oh one last remark, I don't buy into the Mang hype that all Teamsters are lazy and napping under a shade tree.

Wolf you're taking my comments just a little too literally. When I said "we" in my post I meant all employees, both labor AND management. The overall point I was trying to make was that "real" job security doesn't come when guys above us on the seniority list leave (just so we can move higher up). In my opinion it comes from when the company becomes more successful and requires a larger workforce overall. That's my idea of job security - a growing number of guys below me, not just how high on the list I happen to be.

Wolf you're taking my comments just a little too literally. When I said "we" in my post I meant all employees, both labor AND management. The overall point I was trying to make was that "real" job security doesn't come when guys above us on the seniority list leave (just so we can move higher up). In my opinion it comes from when the company becomes more successful and requires a larger workforce overall. That's my idea of job security - a growing number of guys below me, not just how high on the list I happen to be.
My bad.:hide: Now I agree 100% with that.:1036316054:

I was in a terminal down south and looked at their seniority list. There is a guy there who's hire date was a day after my birthday.

I'm 50.

Thats too long.

I saw a driver going to the ready line in LCP using a cane and trailing an oxygen tank.

Thats too long.

Now this last part is funny. I had to LOL. But I've been hearing this argument since the first day I joined the union. All I can say is wait until you are there. The picture might change from when you were a tenderfoot. I was going to leave when I was 62, but for health reasons had to go a year earlier, so that wasn't an issue for me. But this is America. It is not our right to demand that others do as we wish. I was on layoff when senior guys were snarfing up as much OT as they could get. It sucks, they are greedy. But dammit, they earned the right. This is one of the times when the seniority system reeks, but it is what it is.

Seniority is a funny thing .... when freight is falling off a dock and everybody is working, most folks ignore the 6 and 7 punchers that are making over $90k a year. When the economy is in the crapper and times get tough and people are sitting at home, the lower seniority men stand up and take notice of the " Hogs " at the top of the board. The bottom line is that the company reacts to the lack of business, but the top " brothers " never take a hit to the wallet. I went through a big layoff at a Teamster white paper grocery warehouse ( Supervalu Pittsburgh Division ) and the top seniority men were never effected by the lack of business because of the work rules. But you know what's funny ? I wouldn't drastically change any seniority clauses because once you put your time in, you deserve to have choices right ? I would consider a slight modification, but I don't have a specific answer as to what would be fair for everybody. Believe me, my heart goes out to all of you folks who are laid off and I hope for the best for all of you. Hopefully the economy will pick up and we'll all prosper ....

the tears in lcp are already starting to fall, from the wrinkled eyes of our top heavy senoirity boards. will there still be road work in lancaster for us after this change? i hope the answer is no! time to retire, spend some of your moldy millions and buy a fishing rod, and a boat. or heaven forbid,hold your wifes hand, and watch the sunset. or make peace with the children who hate you because you have been a greedy man, and all you care about is yellow, and your charlotte bid. yes brothers it has been a good 75 year run. please step aside so the young men with children can afford to buy homes and send there kids to college.:nutkick::chairshot:
I agree with you 110%. There is some jerks in COL that are in their mid-70's. They need to get a damn life so junior men can get on with theirs and their familys.

<snip>
please step aside so the young men with children can afford to buy homes and send there kids to college.

<snip>
I just don't know why anyone would want to hang around and take work away from a younger generation of future teamsters. Oh, that's right GREED!.

<snip>
that is sad, and sad for a younger man trying to move up. when you get there brother enjoy living life!

I agree with you 110%. There is some jerks in COL that are in their mid-70's. They need to get a damn life so junior men can get on with theirs and their familys.

I've read some articles about how the current younger generation, the &quot;entitled&quot; generation as it's been called, has been brought up by their doting parents to think that they are &quot;owed&quot; everything in life. After reading some of these comments I'm beginning to think those articles I've read are 100% on the mark! :smile1:

yes but nj and ny voted in the turds that handed us this contract, by a land slide. much due to the arm twisting of their officers. i know iwas involved with the leedham campaign, and i talked to many men in both places, that said we need radical change, but they didnt vote that way! we may be stupid farmers and stump jumpers in pa, but we know when were getting screwed, and we vote the right way! look up the last election counts,and contract counts, and see for yourself.:chairshot::chairshot:

i will be the first to tell ANYBODY that i do not support Hoffa Jr. my Tom Leedham &quot;Dump Hoffa&quot; t-shirts that i wear proudly says it all. trust me, aint nobody telling me to take it off either. as 2631 has mentioned, there is NO mob influence anywhere in our area. in my opinion, my local Prez. is a politician, not a tough guy. i will let you know what we have, at least some of the guys i have interacted with : some of the most clueless, selfish, boderline ignorant people anyone can ever meet. there are only a handful of guys who are resourceful & in touch with the reality our industry. these are the problems not only with our jobs but our country :1036316054:

2641 your comments are right on the money.As a matter of fact,Local560 is not even listed in the list of locals in the teamster webpage. I guess hoffa jr doesnt recognize us as a teamster local.

yes but nj and ny voted in the turds that handed us this contract, by a land slide. much due to the arm twisting of their officers. i know iwas involved with the leedham campaign, and i talked to many men in both places, that said we need radical change, but they didnt vote that way! we may be stupid farmers and stump jumpers in pa, but we know when were getting screwed, and we vote the right way! look up the last election counts,and contract counts, and see for yourself.:chairshot::chairshot:

Yes it is true that the majority voted for Hoffa & co. & it was their right to do so....I didn't support Leedham, mine was more of a vote against Hoffa.
I personally think that Hoffa has written off general freight as a lost cause. I don't think his interests are in the NMFA & I don't think that he even needs our votes to win ..........

Anyone but Hoffa !!!
That was 1 of the many posts that I made, 2 years ago, before the election. So you can see that I am not a Hoffa man. But I can honestly tell you that you are wrong about arm twisting or local union officials here in NY & NJ trying to influence us on our votes...... Those days were over a long long time ago.

I've read some articles about how the current younger generation, the &quot;entitled&quot; generation as it's been called, has been brought up by their doting parents to think that they are &quot;owed&quot; everything in life. After reading some of these comments I'm beginning to think those articles I've read are 100% on the mark! :smile1:

Not to get to deep in this, because I see valid points to both sides. IMO, I think brothers still working after normal retirement age are doing a disservice to themselves and to other drivers. When I say a disservice to themselves, I mean they are not taking full advantage of the entire point of what being a teamster allows them. I for one, should I ever make retirement here, will gladly retire ASAP, so I can travel all the places I've yet to see at that point. I want to spend my morning at the coffee shop, my afternoon playing in the yard and my evening watching my grandkids play. As a younger driver, I feel older drivers who don't retire in their early to mid 60's, are weakening the union. In general, I feel they are basically content to rubber stamp everything, as long as it won't cost them anything personally. However, I also recognize many of them have made poor choices along the way and aren't able to afford to enjoy the life they have left. I also recognize some have nothing else left besides their job, since they lost it along the way. I also recognize some have become so addicted to the money, they can't walk away. Whatever the reason they continue to work, they are a brother and agree or disagree, I am content to learn what I can from their valuable years of experience and contribution and support their position. I hope I didn't leave out many other reasons and this is not meant to inflame or disenfranchise anyone.

Well said, vwaggs. This is why I previously said I can respect their senority , but those who choose not to retire because they have no other life, I find that sad, if not pathetic.:loser:

Not to get to deep in this, because I see valid points to both sides. IMO, I think brothers still working after normal retirement age are doing a disservice to themselves and to other drivers. When I say a disservice to themselves, I mean they are not taking full advantage of the entire point of what being a teamster allows them. I for one, should I ever make retirement here, will gladly retire ASAP, so I can travel all the places I've yet to see at that point. I want to spend my morning at the coffee shop, my afternoon playing in the yard and my evening watching my grandkids play. As a younger driver, I feel older drivers who don't retire in their early to mid 60's, are weakening the union. In general, I feel they are basically content to rubber stamp everything, as long as it won't cost them anything personally. However, I also recognize many of them have made poor choices along the way and aren't able to afford to enjoy the life they have left. I also recognize some have nothing else left besides their job, since they lost it along the way. I also recognize some have become so addicted to the money, they can't walk away. Whatever the reason they continue to work, they are a brother and agree or disagree, I am content to learn what I can from their valuable years of experience and contribution and support their position. I hope I didn't leave out many other reasons and this is not meant to inflame or disenfranchise anyone.

Somebody in an earlier post mentioned another reason, health insurance. When I left, I was #2. #1 wanted to leave in the worst way but his wife has very serious health problems and his Central States retirement insurance is not as good as our Western States insurance, and he just can't afford to go. He transferred from Kansas City, that is why he is CS. He has a shuttle bid, so he makes some good OT. But he doesn't do it because he is greedy, he has the whiskers to hold that bid and he deserves it.

Somebody in an earlier post mentioned another reason, health insurance. When I left, I was #2. #1 wanted to leave in the worst way but his wife has very serious health problems and his Central States retirement insurance is not as good as our Western States insurance, and he just can't afford to go. He transferred from Kansas City, that is why he is CS. He has a shuttle bid, so he makes some good OT. But he doesn't do it because he is greedy, he has the whiskers to hold that bid and he deserves it.
Hey all you long in the tooth guys keep coming up with all the fellows that have to work because....don't forget young guys have sick wives/children too. Do we say tough turd in those cases? Working an extra 20 while a junior loses H&W don't seem right. It's legal for a gentleman to hang for an extra year so he can pay cash for a new Harley but is moral if some kid goes without an operation? Food for thought.:smilie_132:

time to retire, spend some of your moldy millions and buy a fishing rod, and a boat. or heaven forbid,hold your wifes hand, and watch the sunset. or make peace with the children who hate you because you have been a greedy man, and all you care about is yellow, and your charlotte bid. yes brothers it has been a good 75 year run. please step aside so the young men with children can afford to buy homes and send there kids to college.:nutkick::chairshot:

And who are you to tell someone it is time to retire. It sounds to me that these brothers have the right to keep working if they want to, they have earned that right. To me it sounds like you are the one whinning because of their SENORITY!!

Hey all you long in the tooth guys keep coming up with all the fellows that have to work because....don't forget young guys have sick wives/children too. Do we say tough turd in those cases? Working an extra 20 while a junior loses H&W don't seem right. It's legal for a gentleman to hang for an extra year so he can pay cash for a new Harley but is moral if some kid goes without an operation? Food for thought.:smilie_132:

Ultimately I agree with you and I have said so in other threads. I'm just pointing out some extenuating circumstances. In the case I cited above, this man doesn't work excess OT, just what goes with the run. If you knew him, you would agree. He is a minster, on the side, for crying out loud. I know that doesn't really mean anything, but this guy is not greedy. You know with the rate of inflation right now, I'm starting to wonder how well I'll be doing in a few years on a fixed income. Hell, I got a kid that is the bottom man on a road board, I know where you are all coming from.

Ultimately I agree with you and I have said so in other threads. I'm just pointing out some extenuating circumstances. In the case I cited above, this man doesn't work excess OT, just what goes with the run. If you knew him, you would agree. He is a minster, on the side, for crying out loud. I know that doesn't really mean anything, but this guy is not greedy. You know with the rate of inflation right now, I'm starting to wonder how well I'll be doing in a few years on a fixed income. Hell, I got a kid that is the bottom man on a road board, I know where you are all coming from.
I also was pointing out the opposite extreme.:1036316054: Hell with the way Central States is going I may be smileing when you come through the door at W/mart myself. I knew a gentleman that retired then came back at another company because he ended up with his grand kids and retirement insurance give no option of coverage in that case. He did'nt want to be there and knew damn well he would die behind the wheel. Most of his paycheck went for life insurance so he could provide for that eventuality. Man was at peace with it and happy and one of my Heros in life.

Seniority is earned and along with it comes perks. You weren't around when the men and women with the whiskers were at the bottom. You have no idea what they and their families had to face. Why people chose to work and not retire is a personal decision and, quite frankly, none of anyone's business.
I think you need to show the men and women with the whiskers a little respect. If it weren't for them you might not be laid off from your UNION job, or better yet, you might not have gotten the opportunity to GET a union job...
Now, would you like some cheese to got with your whine?

No offense intended STLdockdawg, but here's a thought. (And I'm ready to get bashed by some people for expressing it).

Instead of waiting for guys to retire in order to move up the list and have more job security, wouldn't it be much better if we all did our jobs, serviced the customer, and helped the company get more business and in that way get more guys hired to do the additional work and thereby insure all of our futures there? Strange idea maybe??

I like your idea, but one problem is that too many terminals would rather force OT to make up the extra work. Some members work 60+ hours anyway and bids show this for example...In Pgh we have 6 dock outbound bids and 2 dock inbound bids. No combo drivers after 6 am and 8 guys on call 1 casual. We average 300 outbound bills a night and 300-350 inbound a night. In order for inbound to be completed in time the outbound dock has to stay for OT. Many days our peddle drivers are breaking trailers to unload their freight. We have 1 casual and I think 4 guys still on layoff.

Explan this then to me. IF you are 62, have 30 plus years in the teamsters, and CAN collect a full pension, Why are you still working? What is so hard to understand. I'm not saying retire just to get out of the way as you would put it. I'm saying if you fulfilled your obligations and you can retire...RETIRE! Do you not have anything else to do? Are you going to miss all this Bullpucky that much? If your still healthy enough go enjoy life like you should instead of being a slave to the man. By the way we are called the ME generation, cause it's me first and me only.:nutkick: