Yellow | tears of the elderly

I don't agree with being greedy and just taking it because you can when you don't need it and another person is starving.

We had a guy that would make 80k + a year run a 500+ mile run a day then come in on saturday and run.
He was a nice guy but he died of a massive heart attack real young

I live within my means, I have a modest house, a small mortgage a small website that makes a couple bucks and a 3-4 day a week job, I owe nothing but my mortgage and utilities and my wife does not have to work as a result.

I rely on noone but myself when it comes to making $$$, if its there, fine, if its not I will stay home and wait for a day there is an opportunity to make some $$$

Everything sounds good except for "I rely on noone but myself", you are not an island. Do you grow all your own food, build the car you drive yourself, make your own clothing. We all depend on others, and most times thats a good thing.

Everything sounds good except for "I rely on noone but myself", you are not an island. Do you grow all your own food, build the car you drive yourself, make your own clothing. We all depend on others, and most times thats a good thing.

If you got the cold hard cash, you don't have to depend on anyone for anything.

How is it there is a thread talking about how the pension is in the red, and then there is a thread about how anyone who works over 30 years is making things worse for the next guy. I am 39 years old with 16 years with yellow. under the new rules i can't retire with 30 because it will be lowered by 6% per year before age 62, or 54%. But thanks to the guys that work over 30, they will collect much less and pay in more, assuring that there will be more money in the pension when i do retire, thank you to those that forgo that money for my benefit.

If you got the cold hard cash, you don't have to depend on anyone for anything.

Only if someone else values the "cold hard cash". If you check the current exchange rates and compare it to past rates, you will find most don't value it the way they used to, and it is possible that cash could become worthless, though not likely.

Only if someone else values the "cold hard cash". If you check the current exchange rates and compare it to past rates, you will find most don't value it the way they used to, and it is possible that cash could become worthless, though not likely.

Everybody values the cold hard cash and everything has a price

Explan this then to me. IF you are 62, have 30 plus years in the teamsters, and CAN collect a full pension, Why are you still working?
The main reason why I will probably have to work past 62 will be the incredibly high cost of medical insurance....With my wife's pre-existing condition, the cheapest full coverage that I have found is from my local fund & that is a little over $1600 a month at todays rate.... I know what my pension will be at 62, but who knows what the cost of insurance will be.

the tears in lcp are already starting to fall, from the wrinkled eyes of our top heavy senoirity boards. will there still be road work in lancaster for us after this change? i hope the answer is no! time to retire, spend some of your moldy millions and buy a fishing rod, and a boat. or heaven forbid,hold your wifes hand, and watch the sunset. or make peace with the children who hate you because you have been a greedy man, and all you care about is yellow, and your charlotte bid. yes brothers it has been a good 75 year run. please step aside so the young men with children can afford to buy homes and send there kids to college.:nutkick::chairshot:
Well angry, I'm a bit dismayed as to why you heap all of the blame on "elderly" senior drivers. Do you not think that they endured all of the same problems as a low seniority driver when they started out? I'm sure if you ask them, they'll be glad to tell you about some of the hardships that they've endured along the way...
Most of those "elderly" drivers that you speak of came from a different era than what you and I came from. They grew up with one ethic... WORK... or starve... That's what they're used to and that's all they know...

They've been around... I'm sure that they have a pretty good idea of what it's all about. Instead of concentrating your anger on them by chiding and ridiculing them, why don't you try talking to them?
They are a wealth of helpful information. Listen to them and learn from them...

Here in Atlanta, we have many "elderly" drivers on our board. Some of the best conversations that I've ever had around the barn was with them. I've learned a lot from them.

We have 6 handicapped parking spaces in our drivers parking lot. None of our "elderly" drivers park in them. Most of them park toward the back of the lot and walk further (and usually faster) than most of the other drivers here. They're dependable, reliable and do their jobs well. If they're healthy enough to pass their physical and keep their card, I say God bless them! Hammer down!...

angry, I'm not trying to whip it out and get into a pissin' contest with you over this but I get tired of hearing stuff like this every time business slows down and work tapers off. I've been here for only 9 years. I've been layed off twice. I knew it was coming so instead of laying around and crying about it, I made a plan, a contingency plan. I went out and lined up work in anticipation of a lay off. I was always ready for the inevitable. The last thing that I ever wanted to do was go file for unemployment. I've been thru the lay-offs, payroll checks bouncing, companies closing, etc. etc... But I always anticipated these things and planned ahead. I've never once blamed a senior man for taking work away from me because he had been here forever and/or was "elderly". It's the nature of the beast. It always has and always will be as long as we work under this system called seniority...

If you must place blame, blame the government, blame the economy, blame corporate America, blame the company... If you want to point fingers at your brethern, take a look at the ones that squeeze their logbooks, runs over everybody to punch the clock, runs on rest continously, doesn't take their contractual ETO, takes dispatches that they don't have hours to complete, etc. etc...
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about...
Those are the ones that need the chiding and the ridiculing, not the "elderly" ones that you refer to... They're doing their job and doing it well...

AngryLCP:

A ditto on what HighWay says. The best advice I get in this busness has been from the old timers and our retirees when they meet for breakfast each month.

Those tears in LCP may be from the fact they have seen what those behind them are doing to this Union. Those old timers fought like hell to get us the wages and benefits that you and I both benefit from.

They fought hard and long on the strike lines to get what we now benefit from now. They lost the wages by being on strike.....Many more before us even paid the final price from the fights on those picket lines......Many lost their families because they beleived in fighting for the movement to bring freight workers in to being a middle class familiy.

Yes, I too can see the reasons for those tears, but they are coming out of knowing what they are leaving behind in some cases....greedy, self-centered "pay check Teamsters".......they want nothing but the money that comes from the contract and to hell with the rest of it.

You should thank the old timers for what you have now, instead of trying to get them to give up what they have for you.....They have already paid the price for those who walked in on a good paying job like this........

Say thank you to our senior drivers and retirees today........KK

AngryLCP:

A ditto on what HighWay says. The best advice I get in this busness has been from the old timers and our retirees when they meet for breakfast each month.

Those tears in LCP may be from the fact they have seen what those behind them are doing to this Union. Those old timers fought like hell to get us the wages and benefits that you and I both benefit from.

They fought hard and long on the strike lines to get what we now benefit from now. They lost the wages by being on strike.....Many more before us even paid the final price from the fights on those picket lines......Many lost their families because they beleived in fighting for the movement to bring freight workers in to being a middle class familiy.

Yes, I too can see the reasons for those tears, but they are coming out of knowing what they are leaving behind in some cases....greedy, self-centered "pay check Teamsters".......they want nothing but the money that comes from the contract and to hell with the rest of it.

You should thank the old timers for what you have now, instead of trying to get them to give up what they have for you.....They have already paid the price for those who walked in on a good paying job like this........

Say thank you to our senior drivers and retirees today........KK
HERE! HERE!...:1036316054:

Explan this then to me. IF you are 62, have 30 plus years in the teamsters, and CAN collect a full pension, Why are you still working?

With all due respect, why does anyone owe you or anyone else an explanation of why they might want to continue working? Seriously, do you feel that someone should retire just because you feel that they should?? Doesn't every person have the right to decide for themselves what's best for them regardless of what someone else thinks?

What is so hard to understand. I'm not saying retire just to get out of the way as you would put it. I'm saying if you fulfilled your obligations and you can retire...RETIRE!

You're not saying "retire just to get out of the way"?? Sorry, but I think that's exactly what you're saying! Why is it so hard to understand that it's each person's right to decide for himself when to retire. I don't think that any of us in this field agreed to allow some self-appointed "committee" to decide for us when we should retire!

Do you not have anything else to do? Are you going to miss all this Bullpucky that much? If your still healthy enough go enjoy life like you should instead of being a slave to the man. By the way we are called the ME generation, cause it's me first and me only.

You seem to believe that "wanting to work" is somehow a bad thing or an indication of being "selfish". I've never looked at it that way myself. And another thing, do you think that everyone hates their job? Don't you think that just possibly some folks like what they're doing and don't feel that they're a "slave to the man" as you've put it?

Just to be perfectly clear about this, what I'm defending here (and have been in all my posts) is the right of an "old timer" to continue working past his retirement age if he wants to. I'm not in any way defending a senior man from "hogging" extra work when a junior man is not working. Those are two separate issues and I have opposite views about them.

Seniority is earned and along with it comes perks. You weren't around when the men and women with the whiskers were at the bottom. You have no idea what they and their families had to face. Why people chose to work and not retire is a personal decision and, quite frankly, none of anyone's business.
I think you need to show the men and women with the whiskers a little respect. If it weren't for them you might not be laid off from your UNION job, or better yet, you might not have gotten the opportunity to GET a union job...
Now, would you like some cheese to got with your whine?
:hysterical::hysterical:Ibacfer you could'nt have been more misstaking on how long I've been around. And I'll try not to get too deep and simplyfy this. It's because of the Old Timers that took care of me through my career that I feel WE should do the same. Teamsters means sacrifice for the common good and it don't stop just because someone hits the big 20 or 25 or even 30. Now that's just my opinion. Tell me when do you no longer give a chit for the junior. At what point did you "Pay Your Dues"? And I don't drink alcoholic beverages but will except a coffee and donut. Thank You. :smilie_132:

How is it there is a thread talking about how the pension is in the red, and then there is a thread about how anyone who works over 30 years is making things worse for the next guy. I am 39 years old with 16 years with yellow. under the new rules i can't retire with 30 because it will be lowered by 6% per year before age 62, or 54%. But thanks to the guys that work over 30, they will collect much less and pay in more, assuring that there will be more money in the pension when i do retire, thank you to those that forgo that money for my benefit.
You do realize that the 54% is only for what you earned since 2003 right? Not trying to argue anything here just want you to be informed man.:1036316054:

:hysterical::hysterical:Ibacfer you could'nt have been more misstaking on how long I've been around. And I'll try not to get too deep and simplyfy this. It's because of the Old Timers that took care of me through my career that I feel WE should do the same. Teamsters means sacrifice for the common good and it don't stop just because someone hits the big 20 or 25 or even 30. Now that's just my opinion. Tell me when do you no longer give a chit for the junior. At what point did you "Pay Your Dues"? And I don't drink alcoholic beverages but will except a coffee and donut. Thank You. :smilie_132:

I've been around in this business since the mid 70's. I've been on the bottom of the board 3 times. I've been through 3 company closings. Sure, there are people out there with more whiskers and I respect every one of them. If you will bother to read your contract you will see that OT is offered in SENIORITY order. By the way, how many of you on layoff opted NOT to take work while on layoff.
Read Hiway Hombre and KK posts. They both put it very well.
I would buy you a dozen donuts and coffee because that's just the kind of person I am.

This song says it all for me....

[list type=decimal]
[*]YouTube - Simple Plan - Crazy
[*]Love Thy Neighbor
[/LIST]

capitalist-greed.jpg

What else should we elders do?

I suppose those of us that have retired should "retire" from the old folks home so the younger retirees can have our spot.
Each man's decision is a private one and should be respected as such. I retired at 57 with 36 yrs in the "rat race". I have no regret for doing so, but do respect another brother's right to chose when he should hang up his log book.
I can tell you about the struggles of starting over again at the bottom of a board three times because of companies closings and buy outs. It was not easy but hanging in there and starting at the bottom allowed me to retire at 57. It wasn't easy having 33 yrs in the union and being at the bottom for my last three years but thank the Lord I made it.
You too will be a "senior" one day ! Think about that before you encourage others to leave because of their age.
I do not write this to condemn anyone, just to encourage you to think about what you are saying, since you will be in our shoes sooner than what you think.

what no link to the definition of RHETORICAL? i'm disappointed., but no they are not

I believe seniority rules and it should be the persons choice in deciding when to retire. At the same time, I feel there needs to be some responsibility that comes with that too. Also, my posts and links are a canvas for me to express myself in what I'm trying to convey. I apologize if you feel that is not original, never-the-less, it gets the job done for me. :shrug: