FedEx Freight | The pension problem

Do the math for your self and you will see he is right! When you leave the company for whatever reason you take it with you. You can't do this with the union pension. I want my family to have my money when I die not some "democrat loving" union.

Well that is a awesome post lol. It should be easy for him to answer the question she is asking then.
As I pointed out, he already has by way of disclaimer. Why should he have to go hunting for the answer to a question that isn't part of the discussion? Head on down to the hall, driver. Your brothers miss you.

Crystal:
I can tell you what. I get that you people don't want to allow any other viewpoint out there except yours. Silence dissenters. Union yes. Class warfare. Social justice. Racial tension. Equal pay. Blah blah blah. You are obviously pro-union. Why are you even muddling up the FedEx driver forum post anyway? You're probably just jealous because the plan we have will help us retire more comfortably, and in our own time frame, than the union plan you got. What did your union contract offer you when you signed up??? $50/month? Probably sounded good back in the 60's didn't it? Inflation sure blew that up. Oh, and insolvency too but I'll get to that...

First: I did the research by reading your posts. I didn't just make up my mind. I did the research by reading your posts and developed my opinion based on facts. Rather than cite them here with quotations, I will let anyone who is interested make up their minds on their own by doing their own research. The thing I learned about arguing with leftists is that you won't let facts interfere with your ideology. I stated facts and you go right to rules 5, 8, 11, and 12 from Rules for Radicals. Your tactics are very amateur. I would think that someone as seasoned as you wouldn't have been so obvious. Subtlety works better. See... I used to be an ideological leftist myself. Then I started to educate myself and came to understand that every solution you people offer creates more problems than existed before you people came along with your solution. If you are still a leftist at your advanced age either you haven't taken the time to educate yourself or you are most likely just a paid union agitator... You're entrenched in your thinking. Good. I'm glad you stand for something. You think a union style defined benefit pension plan is the right idea. You're not a FedEx driver so what do you care what the FedEx drivers discuss in our forum? You're not looking for a discussion, you're looking to press your point and what you have not done is show how the very conservative numbers that I ran are not more beneficial to me and my co-workers than the one that suits your ideology.

Second: My wife and I were on vacation at Mackinac Island and i didn't have the time nor the give-a-dam to do the research for you. You could have done it yourself. You probably can't believe that we can afford to vacation because we're not union. Weird huh??? If I was union I would have been able to buy that lobster instead of steak but I made it work. While I was on vacation I did take the time to respond to some other people but once I'd read some of your posts, I knew all you were looking for was a dead-end and circular argument. There is nothing that I can say that will be something that won't end up back at the point of you continuing on with your social justice pro-union argument. I'm not anti-union either. I just think we (not you, but me and my fellow FedEx drivers) need to consider the negative effects of unionizing. Clearly you've already made up your mind for us and not all of us are going to just buy it. Some of us are going to learn a little bit before commitment and I'm trying to have a discussion with FedEx drivers... not you.

Third: You and I agree on certain things such as the fact that the working class is falling further behind a comfortable standard of living while the richest keep getting richer. You want FedEx unionized and I think that the union will create more problems than it will resolve. However, we agree in principle. Wages are stagnant and not keeping up with inflation for the working class. Which goes back to my original post where I clarified that the defined benefit pension plan will leave us worse off than the plan we have now---particularly because there is no allowance for growth to keep up with inflation. I used very conservative numbers but my personal financial plan, where I control my retirement, is extremely more generous than with a UPS Freight style retirement package which would end up deeply reducing my ability to retire when and how I want to retire. If you think I'm all about just opinions I would encourage you to type in these three words in your google: Union Pension Insolvency. I'm not going to cite anything that is my opinion but if you'd like to you can run through pages of pages of facts that won't have any effect on your thought process which is evidently not founded on logic and facts but on ideology. You're not going to read that anyway. You're an Obama voter.

Fourth: The word "Insolvency" was not intended to confuse you. It means you have a negative net worth or your liabilities exceed your assets. At some future point unless you stop paying all of your bills in full, or you begin bringing in more than you currently pay, you will be bankrupted. It's just a matter of time but it's too late because you're all in. That's where FedEx comes in. Since we don't negotiate our retirements, but are giving that up to a union negotiator, we won't have any say where that money goes or what it looks like. I think that's important information to discuss with my fellow drivers as we mull over the pros and cons of organizing in a union. Because the union pension funds are generally insolvent (Google: Union Pension Insolvency), I do not want me or my co-workers getting caught up in a situation like that. If anyone wants to do the research themselves they can. I did. I do. And I will.

Now do the research yourself:
a: (Google union, pension, insolvency),
b: explore the differences between a cash-basis pension and a defined benefits pension including if and how they pass on to your spouse or children or, in your case, your cats
c: explore how inflation devalues a defined benefits pension plan

Explain these things to me in a cost benefits analysis. Or I'll call you an ignorant liar like you called me.

Crystal:
I can tell you what. I get that you people don't want to allow any other viewpoint out there except yours. Silence dissenters. Union yes. Class warfare. Social justice. Racial tension. Equal pay. Blah blah blah. You are obviously pro-union. Why are you even muddling up the FedEx driver forum post anyway? You're probably just jealous because the plan we have will help us retire more comfortably, and in our own time frame, than the union plan you got. What did your union contract offer you when you signed up??? $50/month? Probably sounded good back in the 60's didn't it? Inflation sure blew that up. Oh, and insolvency too but I'll get to that...

First: I did the research by reading your posts. I didn't just make up my mind. I did the research by reading your posts and developed my opinion based on facts. Rather than cite them here with quotations, I will let anyone who is interested make up their minds on their own by doing their own research. The thing I learned about arguing with leftists is that you won't let facts interfere with your ideology. I stated facts and you go right to rules 5, 8, 11, and 12 from Rules for Radicals. Your tactics are very amateur. I would think that someone as seasoned as you wouldn't have been so obvious. Subtlety works better. See... I used to be an ideological leftist myself. Then I started to educate myself and came to understand that every solution you people offer creates more problems than existed before you people came along with your solution. If you are still a leftist at your advanced age either you haven't taken the time to educate yourself or you are most likely just a paid union agitator... You're entrenched in your thinking. Good. I'm glad you stand for something. You think a union style defined benefit pension plan is the right idea. You're not a FedEx driver so what do you care what the FedEx drivers discuss in our forum? You're not looking for a discussion, you're looking to press your point and what you have not done is show how the very conservative numbers that I ran are not more beneficial to me and my co-workers than the one that suits your ideology.

Second: My wife and I were on vacation at Mackinac Island and i didn't have the time nor the give-a-dam to do the research for you. You could have done it yourself. You probably can't believe that we can afford to vacation because we're not union. Weird huh??? If I was union I would have been able to buy that lobster instead of steak but I made it work. While I was on vacation I did take the time to respond to some other people but once I'd read some of your posts, I knew all you were looking for was a dead-end and circular argument. There is nothing that I can say that will be something that won't end up back at the point of you continuing on with your social justice pro-union argument. I'm not anti-union either. I just think we (not you, but me and my fellow FedEx drivers) need to consider the negative effects of unionizing. Clearly you've already made up your mind for us and not all of us are going to just buy it. Some of us are going to learn a little bit before commitment and I'm trying to have a discussion with FedEx drivers... not you.

Third: You and I agree on certain things such as the fact that the working class is falling further behind a comfortable standard of living while the richest keep getting richer. You want FedEx unionized and I think that the union will create more problems than it will resolve. However, we agree in principle. Wages are stagnant and not keeping up with inflation for the working class. Which goes back to my original post where I clarified that the defined benefit pension plan will leave us worse off than the plan we have now---particularly because there is no allowance for growth to keep up with inflation. I used very conservative numbers but my personal financial plan, where I control my retirement, is extremely more generous than with a UPS Freight style retirement package which would end up deeply reducing my ability to retire when and how I want to retire. If you think I'm all about just opinions I would encourage you to type in these three words in your google: Union Pension Insolvency. I'm not going to cite anything that is my opinion but if you'd like to you can run through pages of pages of facts that won't have any effect on your thought process which is evidently not founded on logic and facts but on ideology. You're not going to read that anyway. You're an Obama voter.

Fourth: The word "Insolvency" was not intended to confuse you. It means you have a negative net worth or your liabilities exceed your assets. At some future point unless you stop paying all of your bills in full, or you begin bringing in more than you currently pay, you will be bankrupted. It's just a matter of time but it's too late because you're all in. That's where FedEx comes in. Since we don't negotiate our retirements, but are giving that up to a union negotiator, we won't have any say where that money goes or what it looks like. I think that's important information to discuss with my fellow drivers as we mull over the pros and cons of organizing in a union. Because the union pension funds are generally insolvent (Google: Union Pension Insolvency), I do not want me or my co-workers getting caught up in a situation like that. If anyone wants to do the research themselves they can. I did. I do. And I will.

b: explore the differences between a cash-basis pension and a defined benefits pension including if and how they pass on to your spouse or children or, in your case, your cats

Explain these things to me in a cost benefits analysis. Or I'll call you an ignorant liar like you called me.
No words can be uttered by me to show my appreciation for your intelligent comments. . Keep it up. . God bless

Crystal:

How about defined contribution?

Crystal:

Rule for radical????????? You sure can twist an issue. What does my political views have to do with pensions? Why would you spent all that time researching my posts instead of just answering my pension question? I never asked you to do anything other than defend your claim as being a matter of fact that union pension funds are insolvent. I asked you 2 time to name even 1 Teamster pension fund that was insolvent and you ignored my requests and posted around me............ I didn't call you a liar my exact words were
Your posts that union pension funds are insolvent are either ignorant of the facts or just plain lies.
Ignorant of the facts. Facts you claimed to be true. I only asked you for the name of a Teamster's union pension fund that was insolvent.,,,,,,,, I didn't question your vacation or what you could afford to eat. You made other posts after I asked my question so it appeared that you were on line

I simply asked an on topic question on a thread you started. I never challenged your figures or comparisons between retirement funds. I'm not sure how I qualify as a union agitator but If I'm one then so be it. Your thread title "The pension problem" caught my interest especially when you claimed it was a fact that all union pension funds are insolvent. I been collecting a Teamster MEPF check for 4 years now and I am curious as to how you can state as a fact that my fund is insolvent......................How can you disclaim something you state as being a fact?

Rule for radical????????? You sure can twist an issue. What does my political views have to do with pensions? Why would you spent all that time researching my posts instead of just answering my pension question? I never asked you to do anything other than defend your claim as being a matter of fact that union pension funds are insolvent. I asked you 2 time to name even 1 Teamster pension fund that was insolvent and you ignored my requests and posted around me............ I didn't call you a liar my exact words were Ignorant of the facts. Facts you claimed to be true. I only asked you for the name of a Teamster's union pension fund that was insolvent.,,,,,,,, I didn't question your vacation or what you could afford to eat. You made other posts after I asked my question so it appeared that you were on line

I simply asked an on topic question on a thread you started. I never challenged your figures or comparisons between retirement funds. I'm not sure how I qualify as a union agitator but If I'm one then so be it. Your thread title "The pension problem" caught my interest especially when you claimed it was a fact that all union pension funds are insolvent. I been collecting a Teamster MEPF check for 4 years now and I am curious as to how you can state as a fact that my fund is insolvent......................How can you disclaim something you state as being a fact?

Define insolvent.

How about defined contribution?

That's what I'm differentiating between. Cash basis, defined contribution, and portable pension accounts are, to the best of my limited knowledge, different names for the same thing. What we have at fedex is a defined contribution plan and what the unions generally offer are defined benefit plans. UPSF has a defined benefit pension. Frankly, if there were adjustments for inflation and they didnt have such a troubled financial history, i wouldn't have an issue with it.

Why would you spent all that time researching my posts instead of just answering my pension question?

I think it's important to have as much information as possible before I make a decision on something. Reading your posts it was clear that I wasn't dealing with a logical person. I didn't know if you were actually insane or just an ideologue. It's hard to tell at first glance and I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming that your sanity was the problem.

defend your claim as being a matter of fact that union pension funds are insolvent.

I defined insolvent for you. I told you the words to type in to google. Do you want me to read the words?

I been collecting a Teamster MEPF check for 4 years now

Great. Now we're getting somewhere. I was beginning to worry that you were just trolling so now you can alleviate some of my concerns.

Does your pension have an adjustment for inflation? By that I mean as dollar is depreciated in value, and your money buys less, do your pension checks increase?
Can you access the money that is allocated to your account and roll it into an annuity or other fund that might work better for your personal financial needs?
When you die, does the remainder or any of your pension revert to your children, spouse, or whomever you choose?

Directly from the Teamsters

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/FactSheet_Revised7-29-10.pdf
Could the Central States Pension Fund Go Insolvent? | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

Now there are a lot of different Teamster pension plans out there and chances are you guy's won't have to worry about this because I would hope you would have your own plan. I do know the Teamsters are doing some 401K stuff that I think is a pretty good idea. But you have to admit the big old funds are headed for trouble if nothing changes.

1) All the money you ostensibly lost in 08 has also been gained back with exponential growth on top of it. Unless you sold at market bottom.
2) I'm also not sure where you think this other money will come from. No health care costs? Somebody has to pay for these things. Obamacare anyone? I'm a veteran and I get free health care there and I never ever go. It's entirely free and entirely terrible.
3) Defined-benefit pension funds are not automatically passed on to your survivors whereas cash basis pension plans are. If I married an 18 year old and died would she get my $X payout for the next 70 years? Probably not but I'm not sure.
we have a driver retiring and he is going to get a whopping $9 a month!!! That might get him a happy meal!! So yeah that's a great pension we got.....NOT!!!!

we have a driver retiring and he is going to get a whopping $9 a month!!! That might get him a happy meal!! So yeah that's a great pension we got.....NOT!!!!

How many years has the Fedex pension been in place? What will you get after 30 years? I think that plan has only been around since 2010 so we have a ways to go. I have to take your word a face value because I have no reason to question you, but something doesn't seem right about that.

Point taken. I was just running the numbers to see where they stand up compared to what the union guys I've spoken with have been promised. The entire point of my post is to let people look at those numbers and compare and contrast. Union run pension funds are insolvent in general nationwide and we can disagree on why they are insolvent but not the fact that they are insolvent. I don't want to get caught up in that and, frankly, I don't want my co-workers to get caught up in that either. My ignorance lies with not knowing everything and my argument supports what I do know. Cherry picking is really not fair considering that I ran the numbers using a 50,000 income and, using Warren Buffett's projections, a conservative stock market return.
At $75000 income, constant investment, 6% growth, you would have:
30 years: $855,224,
25 years: $596,592,
20 years: $403,326. Please note again that I did not consider dividends which can quite substantially alter the value of an investment... long term I also did not consider the company increasing their pension investment over time to max out @7% plus 3.5% match on your 401K. I didn't consider pay raises either.

If you wanted that to last 20 years and maintain the portfolio, even after only 20 years employment at FedEx Freight using the plan they offer now, you would have a pension payout of $2825/month for 20 years. Until you are 85 years old if you retire at 65. This is more generous than the present union contracts and your family keeps the remaining balance. It does require the driver to invest some into his or her own retirement. I was hardly cherry picking. I was just stating the facts that defined benefit pension plans don't work for a variety of reasons. Reasons that I stated. I wanted to give my fellow drivers a chance to understand. If that influences anyone either way, or if it influences what we drivers bring the to the table for negotiation if the union is voted in, that's probably better.

Facts are facts. Even the conservative numbers I ran on the initial post makes our pension plan superior to the pension plans that are offered to drivers at other carriers. Also, I did not mention the study that showed the average driver dies before they are 62 years old. I considered it immaterial but really, it seems pretty important if your're probably going to die before you see your pension anyway. At least with our plan the remaining balance reverts to your next-of-kin.

Let me call out your facts is facts crap!! I have been here 20 yrs and have invested 6% in 401k since the day I started. If you think my 401k is anywhere near $403,000 you are nuts!!!!!

How many years has the Fedex pension been in place? What will you get after 30 years? I think that plan has only been around since 2010 so we have a ways to go. I have to take your word a face value because I have no reason to question you, but something doesn't seem right about that.

He will get a lump sum of 17,000 from fedex pension.

Define insolvent.

Insolvent | Define Insolvent at Dictionary.com

not solvent; unable to satisfy creditors or discharge liabilities, either because liabilities exceed assets or because of inability to pay debts as they mature.

pertaining to bankrupt persons or bankruptcy.

Based on that definition I don't know of any insolvent union pension funds. In post# 49 I linked the Western Conference of Teamster Pension funds as being in very good financial condition.

I think it's important to have as much information as possible before I make a decision on something. Reading your posts it was clear that I wasn't dealing with a logical person. I didn't know if you were actually insane or just an ideologue. It's hard to tell at first glance and I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming that your sanity was the problem.

I defined insolvent for you. I told you the words to type in to google. Do you want me to read the words?

not solvent; unable to satisfy creditors or discharge liabilities, either because liabilities exceed assets or because of inability to pay debts as they mature.

Great. Now we're getting somewhere. I was beginning to worry that you were just trolling so now you can alleviate some of my concerns.

Does your pension have an adjustment for inflation? By that I mean as dollar is depreciated in value, and your money buys less, do your pension checks increase?
Can you access the money that is allocated to your account and roll it into an annuity or other fund that might work better for your personal financial needs?
When you die, does the remainder or any of your pension revert to your children, spouse, or whomever you choose?

No my defined benefits plan does not adjust for inflation
No I can't access or roll over that money
Only my spouse is entitled to my pension upon my death if I have collected over 5 years.

But you knew all that before asking. Instead of all your long winded posts why didn't you just answer my question on union pensions back in post #49 instead of trying to analyze me? I defined solvent but you still haven't provided the name of a union pension fund that you claim as a fact isn't solvent.

Let me call out your facts is facts crap!! I have been here 20 yrs and have invested 6% in 401k since the day I started. If you think my 401k is anywhere near $403,000 you are nuts!!!!!

I want to congratulate you on your disciplined saving. It's unfortunate that too many of us don't do that. You're obviously an intelligent person who is concerned about your future and your family's welfare. I understand what you're saying and I believe you. The stock market, since 1993, has average annualized returns of around 10%. If your 401k equals around $200,000 that means there has been no 401k match. If it's closer to $300,000 that means there's probably been a steady company match of 3.5% like we have now. Now that's based on a steady $50,000 income. You probably earned less than that in 1994 (so 6% of that was not as much as 6% of your present income) and more than that now. I'm just guessing. Also, the pension is less than 5 years in effect and has not had 20 years to grow. In your situation, and depending on your age group, FedEx could be putting as much as 7% of your income in there. So 7% plus 6% plus 3.5%=16.5% that could be being invested right now towards retirement 10.5% of which is company money. My math was based on a number lower than that even and higher earning drivers will naturally have a lot more to lose if we end up with a UPSF style contract of $105/month for every year of service. Besides the fact of which the remainder will fall to your next-of-kin upon your death. Oh. And I am nuts. That's been established.

Insolvent | Define Insolvent at Dictionary.com

Based on that definition I don't know of any insolvent union pension funds. In post# 49 I linked the Western Conference of Teamster Pension funds as being in very good financial condition.

Yes they are in good shape, for now. But they are an old way of funding retirements and could easily find themselves in trouble in the next 30 years. But there is no way you can deny some of the other pension funds have some issues. Now before you jump down my throat, if Fedex organizes they shouldn't have to worry about that they should have something if their own.