TForce | The snow,and ice on trailer roofs have to be addressed again.

How are you going to get a refer to work at melting all the snow,and ice?
You are a dreamer.
I thought we could get two very big fans,and mount them up on the roof of our terminal building.
Its only one story high,then we could drive our equipment by the roof line,and the fans would blow the snow off.
Yeah right thats going to work,Ha,Ha,HA!!!

I think we are both dreamers regarding this snowy issue.
I`ve been told that the vibration from the heating /cooling unit will cause ice to fall off>>>>>>>

Well then BusterNite I just called him this weekend,and he wasn't sure what UPS was going to do about this issue?

He really hopes,as well as me that we don't run into a lot of this happening this winter season.

I know living in the cold snowy north thats wishful thinking.
He says UPS Freight doesn't really have the money to purchase these devices to remove the snow from the trailer roofs,for every terminal.

He said he also knew that UPS parcel already have some of these units at their parcel depots.

I know each one of these units goes for a good chunk of money.
The only thing is if more states like Conn.
get on the band wagon making laws about falling snow,and ice from high vehicles.
Companies will have to do something about it,or keep paying fines to the states with these laws.

To say this is a troubling issue for us northern folks is putting it mildly.

Like anything drivers we need to do our best,and pray nothing bad happens when we are out here doing our jobs.

I don't think much will get done about it until it becomes a cost factor. When the costs of damage and serious injury or death (law suits) out weights the cost to put in some kind of program to get the ice and snow off the top of trailers in those winter climate areas, Its just going to be the same old, same old.

I don't think much will get done about it until it becomes a cost factor. When the costs of damage and serious injury or death (law suits) out weights the cost to put in some kind of program to get the ice and snow off the top of trailers in those winter climate areas, Its just going to be the same old, same old.

You are dead on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes sir I agree with everyone on this issue.
Its a lost cause untill theres a big lost cost out of our companys pocket.

I know they don't like spending any money that isn't going to make them more money,if you know what I mean.
but let some negative action come about because of their neglect,and the money starts flowing out in court fees,and fines.
thats the one thing that seems to get their attention big time.
Hopefuly I won't be the poor driver that starts the ball rolling on this issue.

Wait a minute, ya'll drive in the snow???

J/K...Deep down South, the sign of snowfall shuts the roads down...At our terminal we need one of those Rooster Contraptions to clear the tree limbs that get caught on the city trailers from tight residential deliveries!

But like stated above, the Co. will only do something once injuries/deaths occur and the lawsuits roll in...They don't have enough money to purchase 'dem fancy Rooster contraptions, cause their busy buying new equipment and handing out raises right? someone???

Anyways, ya'll stay safe out there in the snow/ice...

You southern folks don't know what snow is when they close everything down around you when only 2 inches is on the ground.

We northern drivers are talking about snow drifts that are up to 5 feet high laying on our trailer roofs,when our trailers are parked at our docks,and the snow blows across the roof of the terminal.

we take one of these trailers out on the street,and anyone driving around us,will be driving in white out conditions untill all the snow has blown off our trailer roofs when we are zipping down the road.

The other thing that happens is that the snow melts from the sunshine during the day and forms a sheet of ice at the bottom of the snow and the surface of the roof.

I don't mean any offence,but I know for sure unless you southerners come up here in our winter season,you'll never be able to relate to this issue.

Wait a minute, ya'll drive in the snow???

J/K...Deep down South, the sign of snowfall shuts the roads down...At our terminal we need one of those Rooster Contraptions to clear the tree limbs that get caught on the city trailers from tight residential deliveries!

But like stated above, the Co. will only do something once injuries/deaths occur and the lawsuits roll in...They don't have enough money to purchase 'dem fancy Rooster contraptions, cause their busy buying new equipment and handing out raises right? someone???

Anyways, ya'll stay safe out there in the snow/ice...

For the past week, 65 miles per hr. with my hair on fire comeon.

I was told that if stopped and ticketed by the DOT, it's chargeable to the driver..Is this true? Also is there a article or link on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration site on this? I can't seem to find it. I'd like to print it out and put it in my boss/owner of the company's face. He won't clear it nor will I climb up there.

I was told that if stopped and ticketed by the DOT, it's chargeable to the driver..Is this true? Also is there a article or link on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration site on this? I can't seem to find it. I'd like to print it out and put it in my boss/owner of the company's face. He won't clear it nor will I climb up there.

As far as I know its up to the police who they write the ticket to. (driver or company) Either way it is not a chargeable from the company saftey Dept.

I have received a few (5 or 6) in the last 20 odd years. The company's operator's license was never there for the officer to record on the ticket, he always took mine down. I never received points for those tickets. Whether or not points attach to the driver for equipment violations seems to vary. I live in MO, but close to IL. I have been told by people I worked with who lived in IL that they received points for equipment tickets.

I've always woundered about this issue.
The 4 wheelers driving near us are minding their own buisness and here he pull out of our terminals with a huge pile of snow on our trailer roofs.
The faster we go the faster the snow blows off and causes white-out condition to whoever is close to us.
Now if they start ramming into each other,whos fault is it?
Theirs for not backing off,or ours for bringing the snow storm out in the street with them?
Yup this has always been a big mystery,where nobody seems to have an answer for.
I've been with 15 different trucking companies over my 45 year city driving career and every TM just says go,and don't worry about it.
So far thank God nobodys been hurt,or worse when I've dumped the snow drifts off my roof coming from my terminal,or a customers dock that it was spotted at.
I know that every problem has a solution,but in all of my trucking years I've yet to find one for this issue?

I stay in florida, so no snow driving for me, I couldn't imagine driving in snow. Hats off to you guys.

We do have some big bridges and the shaded side can ice over on real cold days in the jax area.

I stay in florida, so no snow driving for me, I couldn't imagine driving in snow. Hats off to you guys.

We do have some big bridges and the shaded side can ice over on real cold days in the jax area.

Yes stay in florida, you are probably better off if that is the most dangerous extent of your journey, allthough I do not know if I would want too rideout a hurricane or tornado iether. If you people do I would say thanx and my hats off too the handgliders.:smilie_132:

I've been with 15 different trucking companies over my 45 year city driving career and every TM just says go,and don't worry about it.

Easy for him to say Apostolic. The fine does not come out of his pocket and it does not go on his license.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The driver has the ultimate responsibility for that truck and it's his or hers job to protect themselves because the company will never back you on something like this. They may yell about freight being delayed and pickups missed but when something serious happens they're gonna tell you that you should not have made any unsafe actions.

Easy for him to say Apostolic. The fine does not come out of his pocket and it does not go on his license.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The driver has the ultimate responsibility for that truck and it's his or hers job to protect themselves because the company will never back you on something like this. They may yell about freight being delayed and pickups missed but when something serious happens they're gonna tell you that you should not have made any unsafe actions.

Boy, isn't that the truth.