XPO | The Union Busting begins at Nof

Part of the reason I don't disclose everything that happened to me during that time is that much of it would be used against me ... I don't feel the need to brag about all the things I did at Overnite ... It's called humility ... I will say that I spoke with Mr. Cochrane on many occasions before the Union Pacific purchase and even after .... He was truly just a good ole boy .... Were we good friends and would he remember my name ... Not likely ... But it was a honor for me to meet one of the greatest men in the LTL business. I know how it all played out with the union and if these guys want to say the Teamsters walked away in a calculated way .... That they have this grand plan to get Conway and FedEx ..... Again in a grand plan that will take a few years ... (now a few years) ... Let them dream ... Let them try and discredit me ... I know how it will play out ... It won't get as far as Overnite .... It will never come to a strike as it did in 1999 .... The guys will come to their senses and decide against the union in time ... Sometimes the winners are the ones that choose not to go to war ... These cocky arrogant types on here will someday learn humility ... Something I learned long ago ... I had it all ... Then I lost it all ... That will teach you humility ... What I have today will allow me to retire comfortably .... And honestly that's all any man can ask .... Most everything I learned in this business I learned from J. Harwood Cochrane ... A man that's reputation speaks for itself.
Damn, that left me feeling all warm and fuzzy. It was in the works and the beauty of it all is those former Overnite workers are now Teamsters. Do you honestly believe that Cochrane would divulge company information to a lowly dispatcher? Now that is the first and best joke I have heard for the new year.

The only difference between me and many others on here is that I understand that the Teamsters is not a Savior ... That contract is just paper ... All the concessions given over the years proves that. Contract .... Contract .... Contract .... its not worth the paper its written on.
Yeah, you're right. That contract means nothing. Tell that to my terminal manager that violates it on occasion and has to pay for those he violates. I have news for you train. That grievance machinery still has teeth and we do enforce those contracts.

Yeah, you're right. That contract means nothing. Tell that to my terminal manager that violates it on occasion and has to pay for those he violates. I have news for you train. That grievance machinery still has teeth and we do enforce those contracts.
I agree with you 222, I've had to use the 'machine' a few times in my day as well. Always as a last resort if the issue can't be straightened out, but it's there nevertheless.

Here I am again ... That low level manager that could never have your vast knowledge of how these evil corporations work? Now as I post this all your cronies are getting ready to jump on me ... You 2%er's are much smarter than me ... I'm just that corporate minion that is not entitled to an opinion ... You keep coming on here with the "at will" agenda to promote fear ... With how great that pension is and how wonderful that free health care is ... Yes we are just a bunch of fools that are grateful that our companies let us work for them ... I can't fight you guys ... Your just too good. The Teamsters are the greatest thing since sliced bread ... They most certainly have only our best interest at heart. They would never do anything corrupt ... They are the closest thing to God that could ever be ... Oh .... Let me guess ... They are God. FedEx and Conway management are the Devil. I guess many of us have just sold our souls to the Devil. May God have mercy on our souls when our time comes.

A couple of names for you to chew on. Carey and Hall. The man I spoke of on several different occasions moved right on up the ladder at your beloved Overnite. Then moved on to become the labor man for UPS Freight. It was all in the works.
You so love to name drop ... If I was to tell you I met those guys personally .... If I was to tell you that Mr. Cochrane did listen to this lowly dispatcher (or was that all I ever became) and I was instrumental in some of his decisions you would just laugh and say .... "Right" If you were to tell me you talk to Tyson on a regular basis I would say the same thing ... But the fact remains it could be possible .... Some things you just don't disclose because it simply wouldn't be believed. Some things you simply don't disclose because it just sounds as if you are over compensating for one thing or the other ... Humility is something I'm big on ... And as many on here have heard me say a thousand times .... TRUE NOBILITY ... Is not about being better than the next guy .... Having more power ... More status ... Nicer cars ... Bigger homes ... True nobility is about YOU being better than YOU use to be ... A better Father .... A better Husband .... A better Employee .... True nobility is about learning humility ... About understanding that no matter who you are .... You are no better than the homeless man standing on the street corner ... When you have had it all .... And then lost it all ... You can begin to understand humility .... When you understand that the homeless man on that street corner could have been you .... Just one twist of fate from the man above. That's all it would take. If you can look in the mirror today and truly say you are a better human being than you were yesterday then you my friend are moving in the right direction.

Last edited:
Damn, that left me feeling all warm and fuzzy. It was in the works and the beauty of it all is those former Overnite workers are now Teamsters. Do you honestly believe that Cochrane would divulge company information to a lowly dispatcher? Now that is the first and best joke I have heard for the new year.
Yep ... A lowly dispatcher is all I ever became ... A poor lowly dispatcher.

oh runaway, i love the way you profess to be taking the high road, yet always must try to get the preachy last word in. just like management....
No ... I get tired of all these know-it-alls mocking people .... When they talk crap they know nothing about it gets very old .... I know more about Overnite than ANYONE on this board yet for the most part I keep silent about it .... Even saying that I feel wrong ... I hate to act arrogant .... But these guys haven't a clue how things played out at Overnite. They are just a bunch of KNOW-IT-ALLS .... It sickens me.

I am one that is always up for learning something new. Why not share it ?
I would love to know more about Overnight.
I personally watched Dick Davidson at the Union Pacific shareholders meeting go through the motions with His new CEO Leo Suggs. When the questions got to much for him he closed the meeting and made Leo the target of all questions and walked out.
Now the guy just left Yellow the day before and was already thrown to the wolves.
Ya think he knows a thing or two about how to deal with Teamsters ?

I am one that is always up for learning something new. Why not share it ?
I would love to know more about Overnight.
I personally watched Dick Davidson at the Union Pacific shareholders meeting go through the motions with His new CEO Leo Suggs. When the questions got to much for him he closed the meeting and made Leo the target of all questions and walked out.
Now the guy just left Yellow the day before and was already thrown to the wolves.
Ya think he knows a thing or two about how to deal with Teamsters ?
When Union Pacific spun off Overnite in 2003 it was rumored then what was going on .... After the Teamsters strike ended the market was in good shape for an IPO .... UP wanted out .. You probably seen me in passing on that day. Look anything I could say on here would be ripped apart ... Many on here know who I am ... How could they not? I've got nothing to prove and no reason to lie .... The ones that know me ... Know what I speak is true ... I have to speak the truth because they know the truth .... And yes indeed my friend .... He was thrown to the wolves.

Yep ... A lowly dispatcher is all I ever became ... A poor lowly dispatcher.
If not just a dispatcher then exactly what was your position?? Enlighten everyone and maybe then you will warrant the respect you deserve! But to label yourself as just that, then why would anybody think anything else! Some where in previous post you stated that if you were to mention your name to Mr. Cochrane he probably wouldn't even know who they were talking about, then you say he basically made decisions on topics of which you and himself discussed?? No disrespect intended,but you have to admit it is all a little confusing!! So just put it out there exactly what your roll was and then you don't have to deal with people wondering how a mid level employee or what ever the case to being a common everyday truck driver like the rest of us!! Unless your speedo and he thinks we're all suit wearing lobbyist on here to overthrow the common truck drivers we actually are!!! Again no disrespect, but you set yourself up for it by not being true to what your place in all the Overnite business was!!

If not just a dispatcher then exactly what was your position?? Enlighten everyone and maybe then you will warrant the respect you deserve! But to label yourself as just that, then why would anybody think anything else! Some where in previous post you stated that if you were to mention your name to Mr. Cochrane he probably wouldn't even know who they were talking about, then you say he basically made decisions on topics of which you and himself discussed?? No disrespect intended,but you have to admit it is all a little confusing!! So just put it out there exactly what your roll was and then you don't have to deal with people wondering how a mid level employee or what ever the case to being a common everyday truck driver like the rest of us!! Unless your speedo and he thinks we're all suit wearing lobbyist on here to overthrow the common truck drivers we actually are!!! Again no disrespect, but you set yourself up for it by not being true to what your place in all the Overnite business was!!
Mr. Cochrane is a legend and I would never flatter myself to think he would remember me ... He might but I would never assume that ... The ones that know me on here and what I did at Overnite understand that somethings are better left unspoken. Most tell me to shut up and not open myself up to further character assassination by trying to defend Mr. Cochrane and his non union stance. I was a driver then a dispatcher ... After that what I did really isn't important. Just a corporate minion as 222 says.

Last edited:
When Union Pacific spun off Overnite in 2003 it was rumored then what was going on .... After the Teamsters strike ended the market was in good shape for an IPO .... UP wanted out .. You probably seen me in passing on that day. Look anything I could say on here would be ripped apart ... Many on here know who I am ... How could they not? I've got nothing to prove and no reason to lie .... The ones that know me ... Know what I speak is true ... I have to speak the truth because they know the truth .... And yes indeed my friend .... He was thrown to the wolves.
UP had UP motor freight but did not want to run it as such anymore. They just wanted the ramp work .
At that point in time UP decided that they wanted to get out of everything except playing with their trains.
I never could find out why UP would buy Overnite and not merge their UP motor freight ? Other than UP were Teamsters.

No ... I get tired of all these know-it-alls mocking people .... When they talk crap they know nothing about it gets very old .... I know more about Overnite than ANYONE on this board yet for the most part I keep silent about it .... Even saying that I feel wrong ... I hate to act arrogant .... But these guys haven't a clue how things played out at Overnite. They are just a bunch of KNOW-IT-ALLS .... It sickens me.

WELL THEN POST WHAT INFO YOU THINK PERTAINS, AT THIS POINT WHY WOULD IT MATTER IF PEOPLE BELEIVE YOU OR NOT.. you say you are getting mocked by know it alls either way, yet you want to go around touting this "knowledge", playing "ive got a secret"....just post it man, its just an internet forum!

Mr. Cochrane is a legend and I would never flatter myself to think he would remember me ... He might but I would never assume that ... The ones that know me on here and what I did at Overnite understand that somethings are better left unspoken. Most tell me to shut up and not open myself up to further character assassination by trying to defend Mr. Cochrane and his non union stance. I was a driver then a dispatcher ... After that what I did really isn't important. Just a corporate minion as 222 says.
Ya ever think your man Cochrane could see the writing on the wall ? It did not matter what he or anybody else did he still was not going to be in the dumpster looking for a meal.