ABF | Time for concessions?

The way you keep posting about it one might think you want a pay cut. Why bring it up?
Man! Only IF or WHEN it happens.

Just my opinion...

They keep making changes that cost the company more money. Like holding road drivers 36 to 48 hours away, because they don't want to send partial loads. Let's see that would easily be 8 to 16 clock hours 1 to 3 meals. 2 to 6 drivers in bed. Adds up on the expense side, revenue side probably cannot sustain the loss due to wage costs. This is being done deliberately to show the IBT they need a wage concession. I have noticed this going on for the last 18 months.

At 042 during the pre-shift meeting on the dock that my friend was at,the supervisor told the men that the company was looking for a 15% give back from the workers and said it was on the web site. So I went on there "abfatwork" and couldn't find anything until I watched the 3rd quarter video and there was an update on the negotiations. Mr k. said they sent a proposal to the IBT on aug. 31st and it was similar to the YRC deal but instead of giving the employees stock options that ABF wants to give a type of profit sharing to us. He said that if the company makes a profit at the end of each quarter that we would get a certain % to us based on are salary. Nothing was said about a 15% pay cut and he is waiting for an approval from the IBT. Go to the site and watch the video. All I know is that I been laid off for over 10 months along with a lot other people at this company and what ever they want I'm not giving themshit. I already gave back.:ranting2:

They keep making changes that cost the company more money. Like holding road drivers 36 to 48 hours away, because they don't want to send partial loads. Let's see that would easily be 8 to 16 clock hours 1 to 3 meals. 2 to 6 drivers in bed. Adds up on the expense side, revenue side probably cannot sustain the loss due to wage costs. This is being done deliberately to show the IBT they need a wage concession. I have noticed this going on for the last 18 months.

ive watched them for months extend shifts on the dock and after extending 3 shifts give people early outs...so you have guys on overtime and at the exact same time they are letting people leave early...yeah that may show a loss in labor wages but anybody with a half a brain can see that they are just doing this to show the ibt losses to get their concessions...if they ask me for anything i am going to have to ask where my raises were the last 15 years...5 bux in 15 years is a joke while i watch the rest of the trades get 12 to 15 in the same time period...and tell me they did'nt raise their shipping charges to keep up with what the rest of the country was doing...

For all the people that seem so anxious to get to a pay-cut for us ABF employees, I recommend that ABF management start a volunterry profit-sharing arrangement. That way all the employees that want to give back can do so and they can follow thier instincts without pulling down my wages at the same time. A speak for yourself type system. Now belly-up and dig deep.

For those who really never look into this stuff...and just post crap without any Idea whats going on

If you "listened" or better yet, got the "printed version" of the 3rd quarter phone call. When "badgered" about when ABF would ask for consessions...
Stutterfield (intensionally spelled wrong)
replied twice.. something like we are in "talks" w/the Union but nothing has come out as a result of these talks.

Then again with the ""IF"" (cause of a persistent goofball)
I'm sure our employees understand Blah blah blah...are very intelligent.Blah blah blah..would see and vote in our behalf..blah blah blah..
I don't have the printed ver. in front of me at this moment..but it was some what like that

Nothing is happening guys...maybe sometime..but not now.
So...let's just let in go till and if

Hmmmm...wonder why we keep buying new equipment if things are so bad...LOL

Time for Concessions

The concession package was sent to the IBT on August 31st
Go to your "ABF at Work Site" and go to Team Report click on 3rd Quarter 2009 ....About the 4th section down it will say IBT ..... or you can wait to watch the Team Report CD when it gets to your Terminal ..... There are no details other than the difference between YRC stock options & ABF's plan ...also if you look at Info Rountable there are some recent postings and replies regarding concessions ...Hope this helps you .....

WE 'VE BEEN GIVING REVENUE AWAY.... WE HAD AN INTERLINE CARRIER (non union) TAKE OUT A LOCAL PEDDDLE RUN WITH OUR LIFTGATE TRAILER TUESDAY AND THE FLATBED TOWTRUCK HAS BEEN DOING OUR RELO CUBES!!!!! SO NOTHINGS CHANGED HERE.......

File a greivance we just won ours,and they were doing the same thing, giving freight to a non-union co for a area we covered!! DROP THE PAPER complain all you want nothing gets done till you file!!!!!

Maybe it is time for ABF employees to demand that the IBT remove us from the Master freight agreement( since it's dead anyway ) and negotiate a stand alone contract for ABF. I know there are some dangers but there could also be rewards too

Maybe it is time for ABF employees to demand that the IBT remove us from the Master freight agreement( since it's dead anyway ) and negotiate a stand alone contract for ABF. I know there are some dangers but there could also be rewards too

I know we have some work to do on our next contract. But wouldn't it be better and more secure for ABF people if UPS was to buy the company.

why????

i know we have some work to do on our next contract. But wouldn't it be better and more secure for abf people if ups was to buy the company.

why would you want to be owned or work for a company like that? They have thier own contract and it's even more useless than ours... They don't even stop for lunch somedays... Have you ever talked to any of the ups freight drivers? I highly dought you will find a better ltl carrier than abf to work for in this country... Yea, we have our share of problems with management, but as a whole they treat us like people and let us go out and do our job.... There is no other company i know of, that i would want to work for....

why would you want to be owned or work for a company like that? They have thier own contract and it's even more useless than ours... They don't even stop for lunch somedays... Have you ever talked to any of the ups freight drivers? I highly dought you will find a better ltl carrier than abf to work for in this country... Yea, we have our share of problems with management, but as a whole they treat us like people and let us go out and do our job.... There is no other company i know of, that i would want to work for....

Right on ABF is second to none. The only reason these other companies are turning a slim profit is by taken it from there employees.If they had to pay the same wages as ABF it would not even be close.

I work for UPSF LOL! I know how they are to work for. And have no doubt ABF is much better to work for. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I meant if things turn and it was looking like ABF was going the route YRC is would it be better to have a more secure retirement with UPS. Not that anything is completely secure now days.

I wasn't comparing UPSF to ABF no doubt you have the better company to work for with a lot better working conditions. Now feel better.:biglaugh:

sorry...

i work for upsf lol! I know how they are to work for. And have no doubt abf is much better to work for. That wasn't the point i was trying to make. I meant if things turn and it was looking like abf was going the route yrc is would it be better to have a more secure retirement with ups. Not that anything is completely secure now days.

I wasn't comparing upsf to abf no doubt you have the better company to work for with a lot better working conditions. Now feel better.:biglaugh:

i thought you worked with us... Sorry i didn't read into it more...

no reason for giveback

ABF is NOT IN FINANCIAL TROUBLE!! they are not in debt!!
The president claimed less then 10 months ago we could lose 10 million a quarter for 5 years & survive. they are trying to scare you to giving back to compete!! while companies give huge discounts hoping YRC will fold, if they can not do this forever & not put their selves at risk. If YRC folds those discounts will go bye,bye. IF YRC wasn't in trouble we wouldn't even be discussing this. When has a company ever opened a contract to share when they are making huge profits. NEVER !! When you receive your 3% raises how come they ask for givebacks in 10,15% increment's??? there maybe a time when we are struggling & have to broach this but it should be when this contract expires. not before. HISTORY TELLS US THAT CONCESSIONS ARE NOT THE ANSWER. TELL ME ONCE WHEN IT HAS WORKED. We lost some money...YES but it isn't the first time in our history that we have lost money in consecutive quarters or years. PROFIT SHARING IS A JOKE ...THEY TAKE SOME WRITE OFFS BUY SOME NEW EQUIPMENT AS THEY JUST HAVE & YOU NO LONGER SHOW A PROFIT..YOU SHOW A LOSS. MAKING 15 MILLION ONE YEAR & ONLY 5 THE NEXT (HYPOTHETICAL) ISN'T LOSING 10 MILLION. DON'T FALL FOR THE SCARE TACTICS THIS IS A CASE OF COVETING YOUR NEIGHBORS GOODS!! IF THEY GET IT WE WANT IT.