ABF | To all the yes voters who gave away the shop.

I posted this sometime ago "There are approximately 8,500 union employees at ABF. If the average pay is $72,800 a year (that is $2,000 less than I earned last year) or $1,400 a week. So 8,500 X $1,400 =$11,900,000. Also, $0.30 hour raise X 45 hours a week x 52 weeks x 8,500 employees = $5,967,000 a year. Add $11,900,000 = $ 17,867,000 a year. That does not include wages for casual employees who cover vacationing employees shifts. Or any other additional expenses." I would like to include $8,500,00 in $1,000 signing bonus equalling $26,267,000 or 26 million 276 thousand dollars. How does this factor into your hand over fist equation? I look forward to comparing your numbers!!!
I seen that post & some call you out on the 45 hours compared to 40. Don’t get pissy because you & the fort can’t pop that champagne just yet. Only 9 area supplements to iron out?

I seen that post & some call you out on the 45 hours compared to 40. Don’t get pissy because you & the fort can’t pop that champagne just yet. Only 9 area supplements to iron out?
Anyone here not work overtime? How about Frankie? Do you only work 40hrs as go40 says? Step up, go40 says everyone only works 40hrs a week. Is he being truthful? Am I the only ABF employee working over 40hrs? Am I the only ABF employee with a work ethic? I may have stumbled onto the problem!

Anyone here not work overtime? How about Frankie? Do you only work 40hrs as go40 says? Step up, go40 says everyone only works 40hrs a week. Is he being truthful? Am I the only ABF employee working over 40hrs? Am I the only ABF employee with a work ethic? I may have stumbled onto the problem!
I think your figures may be a little inaccurate. I may be mistaken, but I believe the 8500 employees you are using in your figures include casuals. If I remember correctly there were 8500 union employees that could vote on this contract which would include casuals. Most casuals do not get 40-45 hours every week and will only make $16.25 per hour in the first year of this new contract. If they are a combination casual they will make 85% of the full time pay. I am not sure how many total casuals there are out of those 8500, but here in Little Rock we have 30+ casuals working. Homesick, here is a number for you. According to a film we viewed at work earlier this year, ABF spent $550 million dollars on new equipment between 2013-2018 which directly affects the Operating Ratio as cost or expenditure. Does this sound like a company in financial distress to you? And before you ask, no I do not have a copy of this film, but I am sure you can find the info somewhere.

Last edited:
I work 40 hours a week....

My mistake Homesick. I just looked up the number of eligible voters and according to Teamsters.org, there were 9441 eligible voters. I am still not sure how many were casuals. Maybe you can find that info and post. I think that GO40 is correct about your figures ($72,800 a year). While a lot of ABF road drivers make this much or more, most of the city drivers, hostlers, dock workers, garage, and clerical employees do not.

Last edited:
My mistake Homesick. I just looked up the number of eligible voters and according to Teamsters.org, there were 9441 eligible voters. I am still not sure how many were casuals. Maybe you can find that info and post. I think that GO40 is correct about your figures ($72,800 a year). While a lot of ABF road drivers make this much or more, most of the city drivers, hostlers, dock workers, garage, and clerical employees do not.
The reason I chose 8,500 union employees for my calculations was because the IBT said there are 8,500 dues paying employees. As for $550 million on new equipment that is capital expenditures and no trucks equals no job. Costs rise as equipment gets older (costs of breakdowns) and DOT fines for faulty equipment. But my point is this contract costs ABF over $26 million and that is on the low side. You have seen ARCB financial statements, what would an increase of $26 million due to the bottom line? To the net income line?

This maybe why my calculations are off (If they are off). I assume most people will work 3 hours a week overtime at $36.90 an hour. That extra $110 a week helps. That is over $5,700 a year.
You know what happens when you assume. Everybody is different, for me my wife has a full time job, both kids are out of the house & I have an investment property. When I was younger Roadway blistered me with overtime & so did ABF for the first 8 years or so & I paid everything off. The bid I have now is basically 8 hours due to the close times on my route & I’m perfectly happy with that....

You know what happens when you assume. Everybody is different, for me my wife has a full time job, both kids are out of the house & I have an investment property. When I was younger Roadway blistered me with overtime & so did ABF for the first 8 years or so & I paid everything off. The bid I have now is basically 8 hours due to the close times on my route & I’m perfectly happy with that....
Go40, It is nice to hear you and your wife are in the top 25% of house hold income. With all that income, congress is a little perplex why they are being asked to bail out Teamster pension funds. It's so bourgeois of you to have investment property, making money from rent, you must be keeping someone down.

Go40, It is nice to hear you and your wife are in the top 25% of house hold income. With all that income, congress is a little perplex why they are being asked to bail out Teamster pension funds. It's so bourgeois of you to have investment property, making money from rent, you must be keeping someone down.
Well Bubba it didn’t happen over night & my investment property is a home equity loan, so I do owe on that & probably won’t see positive income for about 10-12 years. As far as the pension goes you keep thinking everyone is in central states, with that being said what do you care? You seem more jealous then anything....

Well Bubba it didn’t happen over night & my investment property is a home equity loan, so I do owe on that & probably won’t see positive income for about 10-12 years. As far as the pension goes you keep thinking everyone is in central states, with that being said what do you care? You seem more jealous then anything....
As usual GO40 you don't understand the writing on the wall. Fixing Central States Pension Fund entails fixing all Multi Employer Pension Funds. You obviously didn't watch the Congressional hearing. No wonder you can't intelligently post. I'm afraid you are in for a rude awakening in the future. Are you talking about a reverse mortgage, as an investment property? Sounds like Appalachian investing if you ask me. You ever think about investing in ABF stock? I hear it is up!

The reason I chose 8,500 union employees for my calculations was because the IBT said there are 8,500 dues paying employees. As for $550 million on new equipment that is capital expenditures and no trucks equals no job. Costs rise as equipment gets older (costs of breakdowns) and DOT fines for faulty equipment. But my point is this contract costs ABF over $26 million and that is on the low side. You have seen ARCB financial statements, what would an increase of $26 million due to the bottom line? To the net income line?
We gave them back roughly $50 million per year in concessions between 2013-2018. So, even at a cost of $26 million I would say they are money ahead. After all, they did just post a $10 million profit the first quarter.

We gave them back roughly $50 million per year in concessions between 2013-2018. So, even at a cost of $26 million I would say they are money ahead. After all, they did just post a $10 million profit the first quarter.
Making a profit in the first quarter is a little unsettling in my mind and does make me wonder if I have been tricked. Because that is so unusual I think it might also be an outlier; one of those things that happens every blue moon, as they say. Like your electric bill going down for the month of July. But the math says ABF is going to have a difficult time earning a modest profit for 2018.