FedEx Freight | Union cool aid drinkers

Seems like the union drive has lost momentum

• Agree

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • Disagree

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
But there are a majority of employees within the company, according to the overall election numbers, that don't believe in your efforts. Yes, most believe we need changes but the election numbers speak for themselves, so far a majority of the employees don't believe the union is the answer!
The efforts of a few is what's causing all of the divide between the drivers themselves and drivers/management. Will they really be appreciative of your efforts? Efforts they don't believe in?
IF a contract is ever ratified will I be leaving? No. 1)I don't see a contract ever being ratified 2)I live in a RTW state, not required to conform in order to keep working.
Then if you have nothing to lose, (and in a RTW state you really don't) why don't you wait and see? There will never be a contract that doesn't benefit you in some way. Do you really think that those of us pushing for the union would allow representation based on a contract that doesn't benefit us all. We are not looking for outrageous changes and until it is approved by the employees it won't even get to the bargaining table. Let me try and give you an example: If we asked for no increase in our medical insurance costs for the next three years, lower out of pocket limits and a lower a deductable would that be too much? Maybe we could keep the portable pension but ask for a higher percentage of contributions to it. How about asking for some kind of a post retirement healthcare plan or the ability to stay on the plan at the time you retire. Then there are a few work rules that need to be addressed. Like being told to show to work at 0800 but not being able to get compensated for your time until after o83o. Why shouldn't you be compensated for that time because by DOT regulations that is on duty time. Also if you did not get there until o83o then you would be subject to points for being tardy. How about those runs where you drive 230 miles or so to a hub but can not put in for any delay because you did not work on the dock, yet a driver goes 245 miles and collects delay pay without having to work the dock. Anyway you get where I'm coming from. If this corporation wanted to they would have addressed these issues long ago. They have known about them and heard about them on many occasions. Maybe now is the time for a few things in writing that are not subject to change solely at company discretion. With or without your support, and obviously it would be much better with of your support, we will keep trying.

Giving something up in order to receive something during negotiations is common sense, we both know this, and we don't need a dictionary to explain it to us.
Surely your not that naive?

I hope I'm not naive...
Again, with a new car shopping analogy... Lot's of cars on the lot (driving jobs avail.), and few buyers (drivers), the buyer can enjoy significant gains in the negotiating process, while giving up little or nothing. I know you say CLT has lots of buyers, but nationally ALL reports indicate significant shortages. Critical, even.

Last edited:
Then if you have nothing to lose, (and in a RTW state you really don't) why don't you wait and see? There will never be a contract that doesn't benefit you in some way. Do you really think that those of us pushing for the union would allow representation based on a contract that doesn't benefit us all. We are not looking for outrageous changes and until it is approved by the employees it won't even get to the bargaining table. Let me try and give you an example: If we asked for no increase in our medical insurance costs for the next three years, lower out of pocket limits and a lower a deductable would that be too much? Maybe we could keep the portable pension but ask for a higher percentage of contributions to it. How about asking for some kind of a post retirement healthcare plan or the ability to stay on the plan at the time you retire. Then there are a few work rules that need to be addressed. Like being told to show to work at 0800 but not being able to get compensated for your time until after o83o. Why shouldn't you be compensated for that time because by DOT regulations that is on duty time. Also if you did not get there until o83o then you would be subject to points for being tardy. How about those runs where you drive 230 miles or so to a hub but can not put in for any delay because you did not work on the dock, yet a driver goes 245 miles and collects delay pay without having to work the dock. Anyway you get where I'm coming from. If this corporation wanted to they would have addressed these issues long ago. They have known about them and heard about them on many occasions. Maybe now is the time for a few things in writing that are not subject to change solely at company discretion. With or without your support, and obviously it would be much better with of your support, we will keep trying.
But I now ask you, weren't these policies that you speak of in place when you were hired? You were obviously ok with the policies then or you wouldn't have agreed to take the job. Have some policies changed, yes, but the ones you are referring to have always been in place.
As far as the insurance, every company, including the organized companies, will have to comply with the ACA come 2018. I ask you, would you rather the company take the steps yearly to get us ready for 2018 or would you rather them give you the union concessions you're asking for only to drop the bomb on you come 2018?
The portable pension is free to the employees, it cost you nothing....and now you're asking for more? Is free not good enough? Would you be willing to contribute from your check to the portable pension in exchange for the increases you're asking for?
You've worked here for how long and you've never had anything in writing, why do you all of the sudden expect it now?

I hope I'm not naive...
Again, with a new car shopping analogy... Lot's of cars on the lot (driving jobs avail.), and few buyers (drivers), the buyer can enjoy significant gains in the negotiating process, while giving up little or nothing. I know you say CLT has lots of buyers, but nationally ALL reports indicate significant shortages. Critical, even.
I disagree again, most new car dealers have now gone with no haggle, computer based pricing. You pay what they're asking or you go to the next dealer...who's also using the same pricing model.

In fact, a majority did support this movement (at the centers in question), thus petitions were filed. The truth is that many, THEN took the company representatives at their word, that positive change will come, if given a chance. Yes, a few became unsure of the Union. The burden now shifts to the Company, to keep those no votes, in the no columns. Perhaps even sway yes voters into the no column, should be their goal. Just my opinion, but I have corroborating accounts to base that opinion on.
Or it could be said that they saw what the union was about and changed their minds.
Or it could be said that they saw they were lied to and that the support for the union company wide was actually false. Maybe this explains why many of the drivers that voted yes in CLT are now NOT supporting the union, thus keeping their membership numbers lower than they expected.
I will agree with you though, now the ball IS in the company's court and it will be their responsibility to keep it there.

Or it could be said that they saw what the union was about and changed their minds.
Or it could be said that they saw they were lied to and that the support for the union company wide was actually false. Maybe this explains why many of the drivers that voted yes in CLT are now NOT supporting the union, thus keeping their membership numbers lower than they expected.
I will agree with you though, now the ball IS in the company's court and it will be their responsibility to keep it there.
We can agree on that part, in bold! I'm going off for the rest of the day... SeeeYaaaaaa

But I now ask you, weren't these policies that you speak of in place when you were hired? You were obviously ok with the policies then or you wouldn't have agreed to take the job. Have some policies changed, yes, but the ones you are referring to have always been in place.
As far as the insurance, every company, including the organized companies, will have to comply with the ACA come 2018. I ask you, would you rather the company take the steps yearly to get us ready for 2018 or would you rather them give you the union concessions you're asking for only to drop the bomb on you come 2018?
The portable pension is free to the employees, it cost you nothing....and now you're asking for more? Is free not good enough? Would you be willing to contribute from your check to the portable pension in exchange for the increases you're asking for?
You've worked here for how long and you've never had anything in writing, why do you all of the sudden expect it now?
No, many of these policies were not in place. The policies we were told that we would continue to keep (as "grandfathered in") if we stayed on from our previous employer were not continued. They did away with them for their own reasons and without asking us if we would continue to work here without them. As time goes by and things go away, one day you realize that's it and there is nothing I can do about it. By then there was only one reason to stay and it was not do to loyalty to the company, it was the time I already had invested here (more seniority which is really important these days) and the hope that some day what was promised (though not in writing) might actually be received again some day. I listened to a lot speeches over the years in meetings and had some conversations with so called leadership, but it was all basically just a waste words. Where do you suggest I go to ask for the things I was told I would continue to receive if I stayed and worked here? This is a multi billion dollar corporation with hundreds of thousands of employees. Well, one is a very lonely number. Just have this corporation we are all a part of now, put in writing, that I will get back what I was told would be here for me until I retired. That includes no healthcare premiums for individuals and enrollment into the old pension plan (Viking plan that wasn't great but beats the heck out of the portable pension plan) Remember this what I was told I would have and yet I do not. This was their offer in order for us to want to stay on with them. Too bad I couldn't get in writing, shame on me for trusting this corporation.

What does it matter? Considering, the most FedEx is putting into your 401k, is about $3500/year (plus $2500 or less to pension), and I think he said his Co. is contributing about $21,000/yr to his pension. Who's winning, currently? Max combined of $6000 vs $21,000 anually. I know, you like 6k , as long as it's union free.

One difference that you must factor in is that 401(k) is yours. You can bequeath a 401(k). There are restrictions on a pension. You likely don't have as much control in how your pension fund is invested. There is additional risk that a pension won't be there for you when you are retired.

I'd say, please don't contribute that $21,000 to pension on my behalf. Give me an additional $10/hr and let me plan for my own retirement. Thank you.

The tanker company is KAG west. They went union in LA back in 2010. They still don't have a contract and the union reportedly is trying to vacate the election because they no longer want to represent the drivers. Spending too much money negotiating for too little return in dues collectible.

Seems they didn't have any leverage...and you can't strike to get an initial contract, so they may never get a contract, unless they do what Evans tank line's did in san diego, and eat a $5 per hour pay cut for 7 years to get a contract. How the drivers at that company ratified that is a mystery, especially to the drivers.

The tanker company is KAG west. They went union in LA back in 2010. They still don't have a contract and the union reportedly is trying to vacate the election because they no longer want to represent the drivers. Spending too much money negotiating for too little return in dues collectible.
Thanks for the update. Seems we aren't the only ones not buying into the union BS!!!

http://www.kagwestdriver.com/

I also read in other articles that the union thugs have been following their drivers around protesting every time they stop at a customers site. I guess this is what our city drivers have to look forward to, retired union thugs from other companies following around our trucks to protest every time we stop to make a delivery/pickup! They'll spend a lot of money on fuel, we have a lot of trucks to follow around!!!
Of course with the efficiency of our city drivers, by the time the retired union thugs get out of their cars to protest, it'll be time to get back in and proceed to the next stop!

Also, the link also referred to their drivers being bullied and intimidated by the union thugs for exercising their legal right to withdraw from union membership....typical thugs!
And some of our drivers actually WANT to be affiliated with these thugs!

Last edited:
Seems they didn't have any leverage...and you can't strike to get an initial contract, so they may never get a contract, unless they do what Evans tank line's did in san diego, and eat a $5 per hour pay cut for 7 years to get a contract. How the drivers at that company ratified that is a mystery, especially to the drivers.
Probably the same way it happened to UPS in LOU...94% of their members voted NO to a final contract offer (an offer that was worse than a previous offer) and Hoffa Jr & Ken Hall overrode their vote and ratified the contract anyways!

You can strike to get an initial contract....but that's pure ******* b/c there's no clause to protect the drivers from being replaced.

Thanks for the update. Seems we aren't the only ones not buying into the union BS!!!

http://www.kagwestdriver.com/

I also read in other articles that the union thugs have been following their drivers around protesting every time they stop at a customers site. I guess this is what our city drivers have to look forward to, retired union thugs from other companies following around our trucks to protest every time we stop to make a delivery/pickup! They'll spend a lot of money on fuel, we have a lot of trucks to follow around!!!
Of course with the efficiency of our city drivers, by the time the retired union thugs get out of their cars to protest, it'll be time to get back in and proceed to the next stop!
Your customers may not want your company labor problems brought to their work place and ask you to leave.
I see your efficient drivers daily sleeping in the same spots those nasty Teamsters nap.

What is a union thug ?
Non union thug ?

Your customers may not want your company labor problems brought to their work place and ask you to leave.
I see your efficient drivers daily sleeping in the same spots those nasty Teamsters nap.

What is a union thug ?
Non union thug ?
Most, if not all of our customers are non-union, I'm sure they'll side with the company.
Drivers are required to take a 30 min lunch break, if they choose to sleep on that break that's their business.

Thug = a common criminal, one who treats others violently and roughly, often for hire

Never heard of a non-union thug getting violent or rough.

I'd say, please don't contribute that $21,000 to pension on my behalf. Give me an additional $10/hr and let me plan for my own retirement. Thank you.

While I agree whole heartedly that would never happen. The union would never give up that $$$$. That's the underlying reason they want to organize in the first place. The driver is their vehicle of choice to move them forward on their path.

One difference that you must factor in is that 401(k) is yours. You can bequeath a 401(k). There are restrictions on a pension. You likely don't have as much control in how your pension fund is invested. There is additional risk that a pension won't be there for you when you are retired.

Wow Ex, You're starting to think more like me, every day. :1036316054: I would much prefer that. Personally the only area where I think we'd be better off with the company providing for us, would be improved health insurance, as the return on investment, would seem to be greater. :shift:

While I agree whole heartedly that would never happen. The union would never give up that $$$$. That's the underlying reason they want to organize in the first place. The driver is their vehicle of choice to move them forward on their path.
You've got it backwards... :regretful:Truth is, the Union would actually be better off with ALL gains going into hourly wages. THAT is where the basis for their dues is. Not Benefits.:smilie93c peelout:

You've got it backwards... :regretful:Truth is, the Union would actually be better off with ALL gains going into hourly wages. THAT is where the basis for their dues is. Not Benefits.:smilie93c peelout:

Correct in regards to the higher the hourly wage the larger the union due paid. However you don't get a say in how the union dues gathered by the union are utilized. It's about control, leverage and influence and of course political payouts.

Most, if not all of our customers are non-union, I'm sure they'll side with the company.
Drivers are required to take a 30 min lunch break, if they choose to sleep on that break that's their business.

Thug = a common criminal, one who treats others violently and roughly, often for hire

Never heard of a non-union thug getting violent or rough.
Your customers could care less what your labor affiliation is. They don't want your labor troubles at their place of business.