XPO | Union Debate and News

Lmao !! I Wager the South would give in to wage concessions like YRC did not long ago so Union here Impossibility I am almost Positive of this so yes again I agree the south is a whole different matter !!!

okay , 4

Ahhh the YRC thing , bound to rear it's head . Well it was kinda good for a few reasons:

1) the situation proved that Teamsters are not hell bent on putting a company out of business
2) corporate pigs that make a slew of bad decisions leading to a company's demise will still be millionares , after 15k drivers cant feed their families
3) when execs seek to pick your pocket because of poor business models , they are COMPELLED to ASK you if you are willing to help bail them out . They cannot just steal , say 5%
4) the outcome still sees brothers with a solvent pension , excellent health care , and dignity to name a few

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh the YRC thing , bound to rear it's head . Well it was kinda good for a few reasons:

1) the situation proved that Teamsters are not hell bent on putting a company out of business
2) corporate pigs that make a slew of bad decisions leading to a company's demise will still be millionares , after 15k drivers cant feed their families
3) when execs seek to pick your pocket because of poor business models , they are COMPELLED to ASK you if you are willing to help bail them out . They cannot just steal , say 5%
4) the outcome still sees brothers with a solvent pension , excellent health care , and dignity to name a few

1) Of course the IBT didn't want to shut them down! They own stock in YRC! International would lose money! The rank and file at YRC were the ones saying "shut the ***** down".

2) 15k drivers "can't feed their families"????? Give me a break. Time and a half of their concessionary wage is still pretty good wages, and most of the guys posting on trucking boards claim they're slammed and are working ot out the wazoo because they can't hire anyone. Please don't try to tell me any of those guys are starving, unless they refuse to eat anything less than filet.

3) True, YRC manages to waste boatloads of money. But the business model you deride is due in large part to the work rules in their contract!! They can only operate as efficiently as their contract allows. I have heard stories of drivers sitting in breakdown while a mechanic fetches and installs a hook for said driver to hang his coat on in the truck! Or a driver letting the air out of a tire and then claiming a flat to get breakdown pay. And does the service tech give a crap? Hell no he's getting service call money! The drivers that were doing this apparently did it to get extra time on their run so they could sit and bs after eating. And you wonder why teamsters have a bad rep?

4) Central states pension is NOT solvent. There are at least 4 drivers drawing for one paying in. It's the definition of unsustainable. As for pride, I can't say. I know I interviewed several years ago at YRC and the hatred between mgmt and drivers was palpable. They ended up laying off instead of hiring so I was spared that experiment. Don't know how much pride there is in backbiting, infighting, and laying down on the job because "the company screwed me".

Song you nailed it. Point no. 3 The company is forced to run their operation within the construct of the labor contract. I think this would be my biggest argument against a union at Con-Way because I don't want to see the company's hands tied in this way. I don't think employees should have the kind of control over a company that work rules permit because it makes the company less competitive and because employees have little or no money at risk in the success or failure of the company.

If I were to be able to vote "yes" to the Teamsters at our company, I would have to see a contract limited in scope to progressive discipline only, and I know it's very unlikely that would ever happen.

I know I interviewed several years ago at YRC and the hatred between mgmt and drivers was palpable. They ended up laying off instead of hiring so I was spared that experiment. Don't know how much pride there is in backbiting, infighting, and laying down on the job because "the company screwed me".

I agree with all your points in post #1685. My apologies if my liking your comment hurts your reputation ;)

As to the point above, I couldn't agree more. "Palpable" is the right word. The only place that was worse, was a select few CF terminals back in the day. It's a shame there are folks that want to show up to work, do their best, get along with people on the other side of that dispatch window and go home with a smile and a paycheck.

Well they would be out of jobs if the place flat shut down , which was my point .
No part of a contract forced yellow and roadway to merge.
Companies hands tied? from what ? whipping us like little b*tches ?
I cant get along with that FOS ( Full Of S--) on the other side of the counter because he is busy chasing me around the terminal with a clipboard , at our " RE_EDUCATION " camp .
If you mice wanna be told how to hook your trailer after you've done it the same way , at the same company for ten years , I pity you.
Don't act like no cnwy driver milks the sh-- out of a day , you know it goes on

Well they would be out of jobs if the place flat shut down , which was my point .
I cant get along with that FOS ( Full Of S--) on the other side of the counter because he is busy chasing me around the terminal with a clipboard , at our " RE_EDUCATION " camp .
If you mice wanna be told how to hook your trailer after you've done it the same way , at the same company for ten years , I pity you.

You know you can just get another job. A lot of these people you are chatting with on here, are ex employees. They moved on. ABF really is hiring. Nobody would think bad of you if you went to work there. Then you would have a union job. Most people still here at conway, are making good money and are not afraid of those FOS;'s like you seem to be. ..just sayin"

I never have problems with them.

I don't doubt that all those YRC employees would be out searching for work right now if they wouldn't have voted yes. But you sidestepped several of my points. Those guys at YRC aren't starving. Can we agree on that? You also totally avoided the fact that the NMFA (or what's left of it) defines what the company can and cannot do operations wise. Their business model (how they do business) HAS to operate within the constraints of that agreement. Which, although anemiated through MOUs and COSs is still highly inefficient.

Never have I said that Con-way's management culture is right in how thy treat the rank and file. Far from it. But I believe there needs to be a balance between dragging the company back into the 1970's operationally and improving working conditions for the drivers.

ps I agree there are plenty of Con-way drivers that milk the clock. Seen it too many times to be funny. Only difference is that when caught they can be disciplined.

When a profitable company implements 5% pay cuts or 401 k freezes like conway did, its amazing what little effort is given to the company from the labor force. I know when I was there I informed the customer of every scratch and dent on the merchandise. Integrity!!!! Told the custome you didn't pay for this so file a claim immediately. I know existing conway drivers do this everyday to get back at the company

I refuse to put my tail between my legs and scamper off . I'm not afraid of sh>> who said I was? Good Money? Right . That's just what steering wheel holders will settle for . If you had dignity
you would demand top rate .
You don't have a problem w/ a 20 y/o college boy following you around w/ a clipboard telling you how to do a job he doesn't know how to do ? I pity you.

Hey Rollin ( reminds me of Kid Rock song) you nailed it man . When we are taken care of , we go " THE EXTRA MILE" , we're getting sh.. on , so we'll have a work " slow down" , or whatever it takes . These pompous a$$es are getting p*rked 9 ways to sunday , and are so brazen , they don't even realize it.

When a profitable company implements 5% pay cuts or 401 k freezes like conway did, its amazing what little effort is given to the company from the labor force. I know when I was there I informed the customer of every scratch and dent on the merchandise. Integrity!!!! Told the custome you didn't pay for this so file a claim immediately. I know existing conway drivers do this everyday to get back at the company
Cuts which were later restored and followed by a raise. The company was able to get out in front of the crash of 2008 because it was not bound by the rules of a union contract, can't say the same thing about the "Y" company can we. The only thing the Teamsters gives their guys over there now, is the illusion of control, the company is calling the shots now. As to your other point, I think the guys that do that stuff do it anyway, every company has their 10 percenters

Hey Rollin ( reminds me of Kid Rock song) you nailed it man . When we are taken care of , we go " THE EXTRA MILE" , we're getting sh.. on , so we'll have a work " slow down" , or whatever it takes . These pompous a$$es are getting p*rked 9 ways to sunday , and are so brazen , they don't even realize it.

You do that, have your slowdown, you don't think you'll get caught? If you're a city driver you'll get caught even quicker than you think. You might want to have another job lined up before you attempt this stunt. You can find another place to drive, but until you fix that 'tude of yours, you won't be happy no matter where you're at.

Cuts which were later restored and followed by a raise. The company was able to get out in front of the crash of 2008 because it was not bound by the rules of a union contract, can't say the same thing about the "Y" company can we. The only thing the Teamsters gives their guys over there now, is the illusion of control, the company is calling the shots now. As to your other point, I think the guys that do that stuff do it anyway, every company has their 10 percenters
This is a great theory but did we collect the difference between the time we were forced to take the pay cut without option till the cuts were restored? The answer is hell No ! And maybe a valid point might have slipped ones mind during your bashing of what goes on at a teamster shop.. I'll remind you of what happened during our infamous pay cut ' the boss received a 6 million dollar bonus while our pay was slashed .
So I'd say the '10 percenters'are the ones standing up to this crap and the other 90% are sheep who believe every thing they see on a video !
Bahhhh bahhhhh bahhhh go ahead and say it ...

You do that, have your slowdown, you don't think you'll get caught? If you're a city driver you'll get caught even quicker than you think. You might want to have another job lined up before you attempt this stunt. You can find another place to drive, but until you fix that 'tude of yours, you won't be happy no matter where you're at.

Dude your like 5 years late to the game with that ' find another place to drive ' crap ... Hell we can't find any drivers now and your trying to run people off on trucking boards , WTF you sound like an imposter or a management troll !

The paycut was 5 years ago..we got it back and plenty of raises since..ya should mention that..profit bonus too.

And if drivers are damaging freight on purpose, then they are only hurting themsleves. I hope those people get fired and become homeless. nobody should do that no matter where you work.

I refuse to put my tail between my legs and scamper off . I'm not afraid of sh>> who said I was? Good Money? Right . That's just what steering wheel holders will settle for . If you had dignity
you would demand top rate .
You don't have a problem w/ a 20 y/o college boy following you around w/ a clipboard telling you how to do a job he doesn't know how to do ? I pity you.

Sounds like you got a problem with them. You talk all tough, but you aint nothing. Fos's run you..not me.

This is a great theory but did we collect the difference between the time we were forced to take the pay cut without option till the cuts were restored? The answer is hell No ! And maybe a valid point might have slipped ones mind during your bashing of what goes on at a teamster shop.. I'll remind you of what happened during our infamous pay cut ' the boss received a 6 million dollar bonus while our pay was slashed .
So I'd say the '10 percenters'are the ones standing up to this crap and the other 90% are sheep who believe every thing they see on a video !
Bahhhh bahhhhh bahhhh go ahead and say it ...
Did Big Show hold your hooks again? or what? you probably made some good money last night> LOL:ranting2: