TForce | UPS Freight Union Vote

crisscross38 said:
I have no idea how to feel on this. Even the guys in Indy don't have an idea what is going on.So to be saved the part of playing the fool I think we should wait and see what happens at the indy barn
Your right, No one knows what the final contract will bring untill all three parties have agreed and signed. Untill then all is speculation.

You also have my welcome Crisscross38..

if your an INDY worker by all means invite the rest of your co-workers to join in on this information pipeline of our world of LTL,and truckload truckers.

I'm with you,speculation is worth as much as hindsight.
Thats about zero with secondhand info.

We'er all waiting if we like it, or not.
To see this much talked about experemental union contract.

For now its in the hands of the Indy terminal.
So as my friend Skeeter always says:*(Time will tell).

steve5 said:
I don't like hearing what they are doing to MC employees, and your husband's terminal isn't the only MC terminal that this is happening to. I've talked to two other employees from two different terminals that this is happening to. So it isn't just a rumor or B.S.

Why are they doing this? We haven't been through enough yet? And I don't believe it's the whole routing around the problem or "union freindly" terminals because I haven't heard this happening to Indy.

As for the union stopping or helping, I don't know. One thing is for sure we need help from somewhere. Maybe they want to make it a shiny wheel company.
I think we should all realize that we are only a number even more so now that ups owns us. Ups will do what ever they think they need to do to become profitable. Profits are their only agenda. Weather we like it or not the changes will come.

Covvgirl said:
I was the 1 that posted the thread asking if there were any other MC yards that was using SUBHAULERS like they are in OR. where Dave runs out of.. he is 1 of 4 drivers there that all ran less than 2 loads each a week ago, and the week before. When I went to OR. to see him I counted 4 not 1 but 4 SUBs with MC & Overnight trailers. this is all fact. Dave called central to bi@#%. and the VP tells him he has 4 trailers Sacramento and no drivers, the next night Dave goes to the yard to run a load and there is no load somehow the Subhauler from Sacramento doesn't make it to Medford. it wasn't until this week that he ran a load everyday.. but he had to stay out everyday also. But yet central is tell both Fresno, Ca. And Medford OR. to hire 5 more drivers each.
Can anyone tell me if the union can help a problem like that, and I'm not trying to be a smart butt either.
last time I had any dealings with the union was 26 yrs ago when the Daddy Hoffa was in charge.. is it still the same as then??? If so .. hell no!!!

If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it..
If my memory serves me right,26 yrs.ago Jackie Presser was president of the Teamsters,James R. Hoffa was already long gone,and no the union is not the same as it was under the Presser administration,it is much better now.

Apostolic said:
I'm sticking it out with non-union UPS Freight.
I'm already 62 &1/2,by the time a contract is excepted,by the whole company,and UPS it won't do me any good as far as the Teamster pension goes.
My old Teamster pension is frozen at just 20 yrs.

The meeting the union gave said I'd have to work another 5 yrs.union to be revested.
I'd get 2 for 1 yrs., if I don't make 5 yrs.,I get zip.

And thats the name of that tune.
What do you think Skeeter are we looking at a really,really long time before we hear any more,about the Teamsters latest organizing attempt?

When is Mr.J.Hoffa Jr. going to be looking for a new job?

Apo. after twenty years in the union you are already vested, you will recieve your twenty years anyway, they cannot by law take it away from you . Now as far as the two for one, in order to get the two for one you must

A. work the five years.

So if you worked 8 years you are entitled for 16 years towards the pention. But you have to work the 5 years to get it.

Otherwise if you do not work the 5 years you are entitled for what years you had with "O" and the teamster's, in your case 20 years, plus what you earned at "O". The teamster's as a whole cannot take what you have earned, just what you hav'nt. So the 2-1 is what you will be losing.

Accelerator said:
Apo. after twenty years in the union you are already vested, you will recieve your twenty years anyway, they cannot by law take it away from you . Now as far as the two for one, in order to get the two for one you must

A. work the five years.

So if you worked 8 years you are entitled for 16 years towards the pention. But you have to work the 5 years to get it.

Otherwise if you do not work the 5 years you are entitled for what years you had with "O" and the teamster's, in your case 20 years, plus what you earned at "O". The teamster's as a whole cannot take what you have earned, just what you hav'nt. So the 2-1 is what you will be losing.
So does this mean when he reactivates his card on the first day that he is under union contract he would have 20 years "O" pension and 20 years teamster pension for a total of 40 years pension time between the two? If so he could retire that day?

wassesname said:
he will add to his union pension from day one, not after 5 more years ...no 2 for 1... in .25 year incriments. (I think)
This is only for people who activate their withdrawl card because they become vested automatically correct?

The way it was explaned to me at the local union meeting I attended.
My first 20 years of Teamster service is frozen when I took my withdrawl card.
As of now I have 20 years at Overnite.
Now whenever a contract is ratified,excepted,and signed for by UPS,also the intire UPS Freight has to be Teamsters.
With all of those terms in place.
My next Teamster years restart making me just like any new Teamster just starting out.
Now from that date,if I work another 5 years I will get 2 years for one years worked because of their organizing deal.
But if I don't make it to at least 5 more complete years,I will have earned no pension from the time the contract was signed off by UPS,till I leave the company.

Say I only work 4 more years.I'll get the old 20 Teamster years,also whatever Overnite/UPS Freights pension earned,that would have stopped when the Teamster pension started,but won't receive any credit for the additional 4 years.

But I'm not going to worry about it.

I'm still very healthy Thank God, and can still keep up with the work.
Also believe it or not,I still very much enjoy being a P&D driver.

If I'm able to make it the 5 years I'll receive the old union 20 yr.credit plus 20yr. Overnite,UPS Freight,and 10 more for the 5 Teamster yrs.,on the 2 for 1 deal.
But if I don't make the 5 years more.
Than I'll get 20 union 20 Overnite,but no additional union pension.

Well thats the jest of what I learned from my local Teamster Represenitives.

Apo ... I would dispute that besides you cant be the only employee in 15,000 who is in this perdicament, you wont pay a penalty for working if you want to.

What I'm saying,being that I'm an old dude.
I may not make the intire 5 years after the whole company is union,and they have a signed contract.
So I won't receive any pension credit for any off the years between the Teamster union contract start,and when I leave the company, if I'm not able to work the full 5 years required.
If I make the 5,I'll get 2 for 1 for the 5, and additional years up to 10 I believe.

The years in between will be a loss.
Leaving me with my old Teamster credit of 20 years,and whatever Overnites,or now UPS's non-union years ending at a signed union contract.
I know there are more older workers that have simular things along this line as well as myself.
We are still going to get whats owed to us,its just the in between that will be lost if we don't make the 5 years required by a Teamster contract.

BusterNite said:
So does this mean when he reactivates his card on the first day that he is under union contract he would have 20 years "O" pension and 20 years teamster pension for a total of 40 years pension time between the two? If so he could retire that day?

No The way I understood this at the union hall is they are giving us essentially credit for our time @ O.

By doing this we are getting a 2-1 deal. This means for every 1 years worked with O you get 2 towards the pention.

So I have worked for "O" 8 years. So I will get 2-1 deal . so for 8 years with O I will get 16 years towards the pention, but I must work 5 years to get the 16 years . So when all is said and done after my five years under this contract I will have 16 years in the pention.

So his pention with the teamster's is activated when he becomes a teamster, it will just continue ,in order to get the 2-1 deal he must work the five years. The way apo made it sound is if we went union, he would not receive anything if he did not work the five years , this is untrue, any years you have with the teamster's is years you have earned and they cannot take it away from you legally.

hello all I am 46 years old I joined overnite 5 months ago. Assuming I can put 20 years of service in, will I be entitled to a pension with the Teamsters, and if so, what can I expect to receive?

No Sir.
I will receive my old Teamster 20 years credit earned from 1966 till 1986.
I will also receive my 20 years Overnite credit earned,also whatever time is earned at UPS Freight up to a signed contract.

What I understood at the meeting was after UPS Freight is unionized,with a signed contract from UPS,
If I'm not able to complete 5 additional years under this contract,I won't have any earned credit.
In other words if I only work 1-4 years.
I won't get those years when I leave trucking,in retirement or whatever.
If I'm able to complete 5 years I'll get the 2 for 1 deal.
So now do you see what I'm trying to say?

Apostolic said:
No Sir.
I will receive my old Teamster 20 years credit earned from 1966 till 1986.
I will also receive my 20 years Overnite credit earned,also whatever time is earned at UPS Freight up to a signed contract.

What I understood at the meeting was after UPS Freight is unionized,with a signed contract from UPS,
If I'm not able to complete 5 additional years under this contract,I won't have any earned credit.
In other words if I only work 1-4 years.
I won't get those years when I leave trucking,in retirement or whatever.
If I'm able to complete 5 years I'll get the 2 for 1 deal.
So now do you see what I'm trying to say?

Apostolic, The 5 year period you are talking about sounds like a vesting period. Thats pretty common.

Unfortunatly for you, you are at the age where that 5 years will make a difference. I bet that 5 years will not make much of a difference for most guys.

Sounds like you should be OK anyway with 20 years at O and 20 years in the union.

Yes I'll be good with what I've earned till now CFer.
I was just trying to point out that I would have to be re-vested because my break in service was to long since 1986 when I froze my original 20 years of Teamster credit.
So now I'm the same as a brand new Teamster,and I won't get credit for any years from a signed contract start up if I fall short of the required 5 years for vestment.

This point I was posting, turned out to be more complicated than I thought it would be,when I brought it up.
I'm kind of sorry I posted it in the first place.

Accelerator said:
No The way I understood this at the union hall is they are giving us essentially credit for our time @ O.

By doing this we are getting a 2-1 deal. This means for every 1 years worked with O you get 2 towards the pention.

So I have worked for "O" 8 years. So I will get 2-1 deal . so for 8 years with O I will get 16 years towards the pention, but I must work 5 years to get the 16 years . So when all is said and done after my five years under this contract I will have 16 years in the pention.

So his pention with the teamster's is activated when he becomes a teamster, it will just continue ,in order to get the 2-1 deal he must work the five years. The way apo made it sound is if we went union, he would not receive anything if he did not work the five years , this is untrue, any years you have with the teamster's is years you have earned and they cannot take it away from you legally.
I brought this up before but where does MC employees fit into this formula? Been trying to get an answer on this from the BA and such but they say it wont be answered until after the contract is done.....Any one hear other wise?

greezy trucker said:
I brought this up before but where does MC employees fit into this formula? Been trying to get an answer on this from the BA and such but they say it wont be answered until after the contract is done.....Any one hear other wise?

I assume the same as us. Did you not have an info meeting yet?.