SAIA | We need a union and we need it now!

I have to interject something on your first sentence.Of which isn't a plausible explanation for not having a union.Yrc pay and Saia pay are like apples and oranges.Yes you get paid more than YRC but you could actually lose pay and by the way with having a union you could get even better pay and working conditions could improve..i.e.Forward driver facing cameras could be banned and unabated audio recording of drivers in their trucks without their knowledge of audio being turned...ok so go ahead and tell us more why you wouldn't want a union..Oh look it doesn't have to be Teansters.There machinist unions and others to embark on..
YRC Teamsters can lose pay too, all Hoffa needs to do is use his "vote til you get it right" policy like he did for NPME and some of the white paper locals (705/710 etc.).. Or, freight teamsters can vote yes on a crappy contract that screws themselves and non-freight CSPF teamsters, wait non-freight CSPF teamsters to pay their pensions for them, then show up on monday morning with a DGAF attitude because Bill Zollars and his crew of crooks and Hoffa their your lunch. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-union, I'm union-neutral, and I give it to UPS, grocery, brewery, carhaul and some other teamster divisions for fighting for the cause, but the freight teamster division is a joke and they really boned the whole LTL industry.

YRC Teamsters can lose pay too, all Hoffa needs to do is use his "vote til you get it right" policy like he did for NPME and some of the white paper locals (705/710 etc.).. Or, freight teamsters can vote yes on a crappy contract that screws themselves and non-freight CSPF teamsters, wait non-freight CSPF teamsters to pay their pensions for them, then show up on monday morning with a DGAF attitude because Bill Zollars and his crew of crooks and Hoffa their your lunch. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-union, I'm union-neutral, and I give it to UPS, grocery, brewery, carhaul and some other teamster divisions for fighting for the cause, but the freight teamster division is a joke and they really boned the whole LTL industry.
Still not a plausible excuse for not having a union and protections.The union and your company would bargain for a contract then you all would have the opportunity to vote for or against the language.Your voices would be heard

Still not a plausible excuse for not having a union and protections.The union and your company would bargain for a contract then you all would have the opportunity to vote for or against the language.Your voices would be heard

Unless the company has deep pockets like Federal Express

Could just make you all 1099 drivers ?
No benefits No employees

Unlikely. The Ground model is simply a carryover from the RPS purchase. Fedex Freight Canada is a carryover from Watkins Canada. They've kept the same models in place that worked before. As many legal challenges as they faced with Ground I don't forsee it happening.

Don't misunderstand me Liz, I fully agree if the majority votes yes then they should be guaranteed a contract. I don't agree with the way the laws are written that if a company has enough money they can fight their way out of it.

Lord, I am going to be so abused. Browse the YRC, UPS, and ABF sections and you will see that the protection of a union contract ain't what it used to be. Big truk posted, and I find him very reasonable, that
...The union and your company would bargain for a contract then you all would have the opportunity to vote for or against the language.Your voices would be heard...
When the rank and file voted in the last election for IBT President,http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/ibt-results.77382/page-2, Big Truk wasn't so sure that everyone's voice was heard. Hoffa won and if Saia was union, we would be stuck, with that piece of ::shit::, running the show and there are a lot of union guys who hate his guts too.
Thanks, but no thanks, I just don't see any advantage in going union.

With the exception of free healthcare our benefit package beats the Teamsters hands down. You guys can never answer the question I've ask a thousand times. If the Teamsters product is so great why isn't anyone buying it? This industry is predominately union free for a reason. The product is defective and no one wants a defective product. FedEx and XPO have no contract and never will. It seems to me the Teamsters are the ones begging.

http://www.insidesources.com/union-membership-decline-favorability/

It would seem union favorability percentage is actually on the rise by quite a bit. Will this lead to higher unionization? Time will tell. As far as whether XPO/Fedex gets a contract time will tell as well.
Had you read the link you provided, you'd know that union favorability percentage isn't actually "on the rise" when more specific questions are asked....

Union favorability may also hinge on how the question is worded, and how specific it is. A question asking someone if they like unions isn’t necessarily the same thing as asking if they want to join one. It’s also a very general question that may not reflect various nuances that could reveal how people actually view unions.

“When you ask more specific questions about unions, you see a more negative trend on how the public views them,” Kovacs said. “So I think when you get more in the weeds with specific questions, union favorability isn’t really as high as maybe just a general question.”

“Perhaps more important, everyone makes better decisions when they have a clear view of history,” Cameron said. “While there may be a slight current uptick in the abstract view of labor unions, their overall approval rating is at historic lows.”

...and you would've also known the answer to your question is a big fat NO!!

“One reason is that unions have been steadily declining since 1955,” North Carolina State University Prof. Walter Wessels told InsideSources. “Many events that could explain this decline have come and gone. The most likely causes are those that have somewhat persisted over that period.”

Wessels points to industry shifts and federal labor protections as two persistent trends. Manufacturing and other traditionally union industries have been on the decline while new industries have grown. The government has also made unions less relevant by providing and mandating many of the benefits they used to fight for.

Had you read the link you provided, you'd know that union favorability percentage isn't actually "on the rise" when more specific questions are asked....

Union favorability may also hinge on how the question is worded, and how specific it is. A question asking someone if they like unions isn’t necessarily the same thing as asking if they want to join one. It’s also a very general question that may not reflect various nuances that could reveal how people actually view unions.

“When you ask more specific questions about unions, you see a more negative trend on how the public views them,” Kovacs said. “So I think when you get more in the weeds with specific questions, union favorability isn’t really as high as maybe just a general question.”

“Perhaps more important, everyone makes better decisions when they have a clear view of history,” Cameron said. “While there may be a slight current uptick in the abstract view of labor unions, their overall approval rating is at historic lows.”

“One reason is that unions have been steadily declining since 1955,” North Carolina State University Prof. Walter Wessels told InsideSources. “Many events that could explain this decline have come and gone. The most likely causes are those that have somewhat persisted over that period.”

Wessels points to industry shifts and federal labor protections as two persistent trends. Manufacturing and other traditionally union industries have been on the decline while new industries have grown. The government has also made unions less relevant by providing and mandating many of the benefits they used to fight for.
Thanks brother Red, I always appreciate the backup. It will be a cold day in hell when the Teamsters get another major LTL player. FedEx will decert in time that much I'm certain of. With no leverage there truly can be no other outcome. Keep up the fight at FedEx. It's nice to know I'm not in this fight alone. I can't stand the grubby little parasites that make up the IBT. You do Fedex proud.

Last edited:
Thanks brother Red, I always appreciate the backup. It will be a cold day in hell when the Teamsters get another major LTL player. FedEx will decert in time that much I'm certain of. With no leverage there truly can be no other outcome. Keep up the fight at FedEx. It's nice to know I'm not in this fight alone. I can't stand the grubby little parasites that make up the IBT. You do Fedex proud.

SW28sOu.jpg

In regards to the Teamsters. Close enough.

IMO, XPO might go union only because of the container division. I can't really see FE going union. Just much opinion.

With the exception of free healthcare our benefit package beats the Teamsters hands down. You guys can never answer the question I've ask a thousand times. If the Teamsters product is so great why isn't anyone buying it? This industry is predominately union free for a reason. The product is defective and no one wants a defective product. FedEx and XPO have no contract and never will. It seems to me the Teamsters are the ones begging.
Cause non union drivers want a golden parachute contract handed to them and not work for it like when NMFA was first created. I will admit that most guys have gone soft in past contract votes in hence the contract we have now. It's never easy going against corporate America.

True the government has mandated a lot of rules but open a lot of loopholes on back end RTW.

True the government has mandated a lot of rules but open a lot of loopholes on back end RTW.
Ah, the ole RTW argument....that's because we live in a Republic, NOT a democracy.

The difference being in a democracy the majority party rules (a lynch mob) just as in closed shop states but in a Republic not only does the majority party rule, the minority party still has rights, such as in RTW states (and the country as a whole).

Now before you argue that in RTW states where the minority party gets representation for free, I'll agree that they shouldn't get any representation at all. I think RTW laws should evolve to include no representation for non dues paying members but these non-members also get to operate by a different set of non-negotiated rules.
Example...everyone should adhere to the same non-economic policies but when it comes to economic policies, if members negotiate higher wages and benefits, so be it...but if those same members decide to strike to get better pay and bennies, the non-members continue to work because they're under different economic policies. If negotiations for members stretch on for years while their pay and bennies are frozen, non-members continue to work while getting any COL raises and bonuses awarded to them.

Agreed??