TForce | Were getting macks and sterlings

You actually get 4 chargeables a year..one is forgiven if no monies are involved

Welcome to the baords Alabama

With UPS money is involved in every aspect of everything.

Every incident has a dollar amount attacheted to it and charged to the managing distrcit or terminal.

Accidents and incidences are ranked in "tiers",
like, Teir 1, Teir 2, etc
Every teir has a fixed dollar amount that the violating parties are charged with.

Example and accident with a pedestrian, cyclist, or rearender is considered a Teir 3. Reguardless of the damage or injury the driver's district or terminal is chagred $35,000 for the incident. That's 35K off the operating numbers.
UPS is very serious about thier numbers, slip and fall in the yard and make outa accident report becuae you may think you might be hurt and just want to cover your asss, weel that costs $10,000 to the district, even though you didn't go to the doctor or lose any time from work.

Get used to it UPSFreighters, the head honchos must have been mechanics at one time because they surely know how to turn the screws.

T251

Lordy I can't believe that that there is some crazy stuff on the fuel.What has running out of fuel got to do with an chargeable accident??? I think that tight ship may be a little to tight.. Are you all sure about the Sterlings? I heard they were not going to make them anymore although I find that hard to believe since ABF and ConWay pretty much use them exclusively.
I almost forgot to you folk's in Indy "" Welcome to the Hood!!"" The Brother-hood that is the IBT..

Physically checking the fuel tank by removing the fuel cap is a UPS required pre-trip item. Using a flashlight to look into and check the level of fuel in both tanks is a daily requirement along with fueling after every trip, reguradless of the amount of fuel used or miles driven.

I share my tractor with daytime driver, he puts on less than 30 miles make CPUs (Customer Pick Ups) he is required to fuel that tractor for me, as I'm required to fuel it for him after my 375 mile run.

Running out of fuel requires a service call and is charged against the numbers just like an accident.

Welcome to the world of UPS, the leader in transportation technoligies:chairshot:

One chargeable is still forgiven, poor choice of words on my part "monies". We have drivers with 3 chargeables (power lines, being towed, accidents) their still there.......one was forgiven

Well then most of our older Volvos don't have working fuel guages.
The one thats asigned to me is a 1994,it has just over 1 million12000 miles now.
I've had this tractor to myself for my city driving for 4 years now.It was a linehaul hand me down.
The guage has never worked.
I keep track of my mileage on a note pad.

As far as looking in the tank on my pre-trip,I have no time to do that,with everything else thats required.

Fueling every night after my run may be a good idea.
I can always justify that manuver by going to fueling tractor on my Diad.
We've only got 10 minutes to drop,after we hit the dock,park our tractors,and turn in our paper work,till we clock out.
Oh yeay they also want us to remove our pallet jack,and hand carts and putting them away at the end of our dock.
Theres not really enough time to do everything.
Besides all of that they want us to do everything safely.
So you'd better not be speeding,or running around to get everything done.
If you get hurt,or hurt someone else its always the drivers fault for being in to much of a hurry,and not paying attention to what your doing.
Hey thats UPS for you,what more can I say?

Apo, Upon returning to the yard, I do not hit returning but rather fueling, This includes dropping my trailer. I stay on fueling on the DIAD until I have put my equipment away, pallet jack load bar and two wheeler. Upon entering the break room, I hit returning to yard and do all the other paperwork!!!

When I was covering a team run this past week, my co-driver saw a brand new ups freight branded mack sleeper truck. He said that it had the current paint scheme and not the solid brown that some have speculated about.

Welcome to the baords Alabama

With UPS money is involved in every aspect of everything.

Every incident has a dollar amount attacheted to it and charged to the managing distrcit or terminal.

Accidents and incidences are ranked in "tiers",
like, Teir 1, Teir 2, etc
Every teir has a fixed dollar amount that the violating parties are charged with.

Example and accident with a pedestrian, cyclist, or rearender is considered a Teir 3. Reguardless of the damage or injury the driver's district or terminal is chagred $35,000 for the incident. That's 35K off the operating numbers.
UPS is very serious about thier numbers, slip and fall in the yard and make outa accident report becuae you may think you might be hurt and just want to cover your asss, weel that costs $10,000 to the district, even though you didn't go to the doctor or lose any time from work.

Get used to it UPSFreighters, the head honchos must have been mechanics at one time because they surely know how to turn the screws.

T251

And that is why when you tell the tm you don't know how the truck got smashed it gets labeled as a contract carrier hit it turning around in the yard and he did not knoe he hit it and kept going, or for accidents with no / minor damage the tm will have you fill out an acciden report but he won't turn it in, so neither of you get charged with anything.

Right or wrong this is what is being done.

The same thing is being done on the docks damaged hazmat even small amounts carries huge clean up costs but most of the time depending on what it is it just gets tossed and... weren't we short some boxes on that order.

And that is why when you tell the tm you don't know how the truck got smashed it gets labeled as a contract carrier hit it turning around in the yard and he did not knoe he hit it and kept going, or for accidents with no / minor damage the tm will have you fill out an acciden report but he won't turn it in, so neither of you get charged with anything.

Right or wrong this is what is being done.

The same thing is being done on the docks damaged hazmat even small amounts carries huge clean up costs but most of the time depending on what it is it just gets tossed and... weren't we short some boxes on that order.

You have to love the B.S., any manager who talks about doing it right the first time is a joke. There is very little honesty. The cover up culture will only end when all old ovnt managers are gone. I call it a culture of destruction. Union or not, a person has to be held accountable for screwing up the equipment, :1036316054: the first time and everytime.

Physically checking the fuel tank by removing the fuel cap is a UPS required pre-trip item. Using a flashlight to look into and check the level of fuel in both tanks is a daily requirement along with fueling after every trip, reguradless of the amount of fuel used or miles driven.

I share my tractor with daytime driver, he puts on less than 30 miles make CPUs (Customer Pick Ups) he is required to fuel that tractor for me, as I'm required to fuel it for him after my 375 mile run.

Running out of fuel requires a service call and is charged against the numbers just like an accident.

Welcome to the world of UPS, the leader in transportation technoligies:chairshot:

I thought you were on a Premium service team. 375 miles must mean you are on feeders right?

Any pictures would be appreciated. :1036316054: Oh, I must say that I did predict the Sterlings. Cheaper the better, the way Buster Brown likes them.

As you say this UPS is putting 26 new IH 9400's in Spokane; twin screws with the new Cummins engines and the soot burner exhaust muffler behind the cab with a short turnout above it. All kinds of hoses and wires running into the muffler assembly.

Got to believe there are alot more of them out there somewhere..............

UPS is sure a fussy company.
I had to do a ride along today for an accident follow up.
One of our city drivers was coming out of a parking lot at a school and got way over to miss a parked car.
He brushed a building on the other side of that driveway pulling a 2 foot board loose near the roof.
Our driver went inside to report it to some mantainence guy.
The guy said forget about it he will fix it no big deal.
So to be on the up,and up.
Our driver called into our terminal,to report it to dispatch.
The next day the TM called him in,and gave him a real reamming out for having that accident.

I told our driver even though its concidered an accident if he didn't report it,and later the school decided to charge UPS with a damage claim.
He would be terminated for a hit,and run,with no excusses on his part.

Now the way I see this it was only a small thing that the school guy was going to fix himself.
Maybe our driver should have got this guy to sign a statement and then maybe my TM could of given him a pass?

Everything is just history now,one more for this driver and his career with UPS Freight is over.
I told him he should be paranoid every place he goes from now on,and not go beyond his judgement of thinking he can make it if its tight.
Don't be afraid to say he can't make it if he doesn't think he can.
His job depends on his good judgment from now on,till one of his accidents is cleared off his record.

We were informed that if we need to be pulled out of the snow by a wreaker, starting this winter season.
We are going to be charged with an accident.
If we run out of fuel,and have to have someone bring us enough to get going thats going on our records as a chargeable.
If we pull down any utility lines,cable,phone,or electric no matter where they are,in commercial,or non-commercial areas this also is a chargeable to be entered on our record.

APO,
I am curious about CO, policy on this .
What should a driver do, in a situation where he knows for instance that to drive down into an icy area to get to a dock will get him stuck. Should he stop, assess the risk & call dispatch ? Will the CO. trust the driver's judgement on this type of issue? I mean getting a chargeable, should make you think & evaluate the circumstances. Or, will he catch flack for not delivering the freight?
Another of the "rock & hard places" issues we face every day !

UPS is sure a fussy company.
I had to do a ride along today for an accident follow up.
One of our city drivers was coming out of a parking lot at a school and got way over to miss a parked car.
He brushed a building on the other side of that driveway pulling a 2 foot board loose near the roof.
Our driver went inside to report it to some mantainence guy.
The guy said forget about it he will fix it no big deal.
So to be on the up,and up.
Our driver called into our terminal,to report it to dispatch.
The next day the TM called him in,and gave him a real reamming out for having that accident.

I told our driver even though its concidered an accident if he didn't report it,and later the school decided to charge UPS with a damage claim.
He would be terminated for a hit,and run,with no excusses on his part.

Now the way I see this it was only a small thing that the school guy was going to fix himself.
Maybe our driver should have got this guy to sign a statement and then maybe my TM could of given him a pass?

Everything is just history now,one more for this driver and his career with UPS Freight is over.
I told him he should be paranoid every place he goes from now on,and not go beyond his judgement of thinking he can make it if its tight.
Don't be afraid to say he can't make it if he doesn't think he can.
His job depends on his good judgment from now on,till one of his accidents is cleared off his record.

Tell your TM to do what our terminal does, After the second write up, sweep the rest under the carpet.:biglaugh:

The bottom line working for UPS we have to be paranoid with any thing we are doing.
If we think we are going to get stuck in a ramp dock we should report the condition to dispatch,and let them make the desision about backing down,or taking a pass.

Last winter we lost a customer because his dock was on a steep ramp,and he didn't keep it salted.
I told their shipping clerk I wasn't going to back in.
I called my TM,and he said good call take off.
The next day he called that company and asked if the ramp was clear of ice,and snow?
They said no just come here and make the pickup we will get your driver back out.
Needless to say we took a pass again.

This company found another trucking company willing to take a chance,and they never called us for a pickup again.

This is a call I let my TM make after reporting the condition,so I say he's the boss,whatever he says is ok with me.

But staying out of harms way working for UPS we not only have to be focused at all times we also need to be paranoid!

APO,
I am curious about CO, policy on this .
What should a driver do, in a situation where he knows for instance that to drive down into an icy area to get to a dock will get him stuck. Should he stop, assess the risk & call dispatch ? Will the CO. trust the driver's judgement on this type of issue? I mean getting a chargeable, should make you think & evaluate the circumstances. Or, will he catch flack for not delivering the freight?
Another of the "rock & hard places" issues we face every day !

If the driver takes the risk and gets stuck and the company has to pay a wrecker service call. It very well could be a chargable write up, depending on who you are.

It seems that its going to be the fact that anytime a driver costs UPS any money.
This is going to be 100% chargable offence against the driver with no excusses on us poor old drivers trying to do our jobs.

The thing that really frys my bacon is the utility line issue.
Its by law these lines are to be high enough to get any trailer under them.
When we were Overnite,our company knew this as law and gave us a pass.
Now that we are UPS.
If we pop one of these lines even in a commercial area.
UPS gets out their check book to make any needed repairs and charges us drivers.

What a rip off,with a driver shortage in this country.
UPS sure has a lot of ways to get rid of the drivers working for them.

Union?
You think we need a union?
A voice to be represented ,or do we just make very sure we don't go anywhere that we may encounter a chargable on our records?
This could also place us between a rock,and a hard place because they want us to do everything in our power to get all of the deliveries,and pickups assigned to us.

OH MY,MY,who would have thought it would be this difficult working for the BIG UPS MACHINE?
I really used to enjoy this LTL city driving trucking career thats why I've stayed with it going into my 45th year.

Now I have to pray I can be safe,and wherever I go on the clock I have to be paranoid to make very sure I'm not going to cost UPS any money for messing anything up.
This is really taking all the fun out of this job.
Can I get a great big 10-4 from the rest of my co-workers on here?

I heard from a dallas driver they just received 8 new daycabs and there plain jane, they don't even have radios in them.