FedEx Freight | what are other ltl carriers rate of pay?

Assuming that's before the raise, It will go to $25.73/hr, that's still 92 cents/hour short of our biggest competitor (UPSF). And in Jan. it will be $1.42/hr. short. If FedEx was serious about correcting mistakes, they should Bump EVERYONE up another $1.00-$1.40/hour across the board (on top of the announced .80), and LOCK insurance premiums/coverage for 2-3 years. IMHO.
Down south with the raise we will be at $23.68....over $2.00 behind ups freight!!

Down south with the raise we will be at $23.68....over $2.00 behind ups freight!!

Does FedEx have a 401 and retirement like UPSF? Not trying to be funny I really don't know.I know Conway only has a 401 like most other companies now. Something this new generation of truck drivers should really look at...

And FedEx will be lucky to be just over $26hr. or $80 plus a week, without overtime pay, doing the same thing. I am not complaining, I just think city drivers get the short end of the stick, say about $20,000- $40,000 a year less then a road-linehaul driver. I know they work more hours, sitting on their but 12 hrs. a night or more, but a city drivers hourly rate is to far about from a road driver. City drivers work much harder. If you take a road drivers hours and compare it to a city driver, it is about $100.00 or more difference in pay, in any given day. Why do you think city drivers sign up to run a weekend line-road runs, cause they know it's more money they will ever see in a city paycheck for 1 day. And they say it's a piece of cake, compared to all the bull they put up with.9I know the feeling, I've done both, and the city puts a beating on your body, not to mention trying to avoid an accident backing into some of these customers, with no room, off a busy street, where most people just drive around you, instead of waiting, and
letting you back in.

And FedEx will be lucky to be just over $26hr. or $80 plus a week, without overtime pay, doing the same thing. I am not complaining, I just think city drivers get the short end of the stick, say about $20,000- $40,000 a year less then a road-linehaul driver. I know they work more hours, sitting on their but 12 hrs. a night or more, but a city drivers hourly rate is to far about from a road driver. City drivers work much harder. If you take a road drivers hours and compare it to a city driver, it is about $100.00 or more difference in pay, in any given day. Why do you think city drivers sign up to run a weekend line-road runs, cause they know it's more money they will ever see in a city paycheck for 1 day. And they say it's a piece of cake, compared to all the bull they put up with.9I know the feeling, I've done both, and the city puts a beating on your body, not to mention trying to avoid an accident backing into some of these customers, with no room, off a busy street, where most people just drive around you, instead of waiting, and
letting you back in.

I have to disagree with you about the myth city drivers work much harder than road drivers. It is the exact opposite. You put a city driver on my run and run it the way I do, getting back on time or a little ahead of schedule, and he is calling off by Friday...

I have to disagree with you about the myth city drivers work much harder than road drivers. It is the exact opposite. You put a city driver on my run and run it the way I do, getting back on time or a little ahead of schedule, and he is calling off by Friday...

There is anecdotal evidence of this everywhere but the vast majority of city guys work harder than a linehaul driver. I had a nasty linehaul bid for many years but city guys still worked harder. Nights sucked, the days sucked too depending on the bid but please don't try and act all billy big rigger. You'll lose.

Oh boy, here comes the City vs Linehaul again :argue:

Like many I've been on both sides city and linehaul. City works no doubt, but to say linehaul sits on their ass all night you are talking to a very small percentage of us. Most linehaul are docking it out all night. City can come to road at any time if they want to make more. We are hiring linehaul all over. Come on over boys!

There is anecdotal evidence of this everywhere but the vast majority of city guys work harder than a linehaul driver. I had a nasty linehaul bid for many years but city guys still worked harder. Nights sucked, the days sucked too depending on the bid but please don't try and act all billy big rigger. You'll lose.

I guess it depends on what you feel is hard work. I have done both and to be honest I thought P&D was not as hard on me as line haul. Each has it's demands on the body and mind. But with P&D you are in and out of the truck more and that in it self better for your health. Lot of other sacrifices (Family) that make line haul a premium pay over P&D. However, both deserve higher wages, benefits, and company paid retirement than you are getting at FedEx. But that is up to the majority of the workers...

I guess it depends on what you feel is hard work. I have done both and to be honest I thought P&D was not as hard on me as line haul. Each has it's demands on the body and mind. But with P&D you are in and out of the truck more and that in it self better for your health.

That's because physically it's a tougher job to be a city man. It's a bit tougher to stay awake at night but that's all in how you take care of your body.

Lot of other sacrifices (Family) that make line haul a premium pay over P&D. However, both deserve higher wages, benefits, and company paid retirement than you are getting at FedEx. But that is up to the majority of the workers...

Deserving is a stretch. One thing I highly agree with is company retirement. I'm not on the bandwagon of forcing it because many don't deserve a damn thing but when you have good hard working employees, I think it's the right thing to do, to pay retirement to those that have built your company because their worth throughout their careers to the company, far outweighs the cost of that employee having a comfortable retirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deserving is a stretch. One thing I highly agree with is company retirement. I'm not on the bandwagon of forcing it because many don't deserve a damn thing but when you have good hard working employees, I think it's the right thing to do, to pay retirement to those that have built your company because their worth throughout their carriers to the company, far outweighs the cost of that employee having a comfortable retirement.

Agreed! But it's going to take a fight on the working man's side to receive his just due...

Us road drivers can say the same about you city drivers. Not all city routs are hard either. Both jobs have positive and negative aspects to them. Running a 570 mile run once a week in the summer sun is easy. Doing it 5 days a week in the dark night of winter is another. City guys are like retirees from Minnesota. You love it when it's sunshine and nice but as soon as the snow flies, time to vacation in Arizona. :tumbleweed:

Us road drivers can say the same about you city drivers. Not all city routs are hard either. Both jobs have positive and negative aspects to them. Running a 570 mile run once a week in the summer sun is easy. Doing it 5 days a week in the dark night of winter is another. City guys are like retirees from Minnesota. You love it when it's sunshine and nice but as soon as the snow flies, time to vacation in Arizona. :tumbleweed:

I was a line driver for 14 years. Don't try and fool me. Don't even try and talk to me about snow. I'll make you look stupid.

I was a line driver for 14 years. Don't try and fool me. Don't even try and talk to me about snow. I'll make you look stupid.

What ever "Super Trucker". When you get in an accident you take pictures of the damage. If we get in an accident someone else has to identify the body. "City driver dies backing into a dock.. eye witness says driver was going at least 3mph." You lie to your friends and I'll lie to mine... but lets not lie to each other.