FedEx Freight | Who's Buying Watkins this week????

what a great company watkins is. let's hope that if they do sell out, their employees keep thier jobs. they are the reason wml has been so profitable over the past sixty years.

isockets said:
what a great company watkins is. let's hope that if they do sell out, their employees keep thier jobs. they are the reason wml has been so profitable over the past sixty years.

That might be the reason UPS may want to buy them. I know in Fontana Ca. They have a Hugh break bulk off the 15.

UPSF has got to build a larger terminal where they are at they are busting at the seams.

So it is things like that makes another company to be bought by another. I know some Watkins drivers you right good people and drivers. It would be a compliment to UPSF.

Watkins Rumors

I don't work at Watkins anymore but I have a friend who works in Lakeland at there main office. This person works with Chip and Clay on a daily basis. So as far as going public or being sold this is what this person told me.

Direct Quote:
I wish it was I would negotiate for stock options during my next review.. There has been a lot of rumors flying around but here at world HDQ everything seems to be business as usual and just rumors…

due to legal issues with public trading they have no choice but to say everything is a rumor. if they told you they were going public or selling to another public trading company they could be in trouble for insider information before the transaction if they told you the truth. we will see, but my bet is on FedEx buying them to offer long haul service, deffered service offering, Canada and truckload. you can believe what you want, but its a sell in my opinion.

Watkins Rumor

I talked to The watkins family and they say there is no buyout it is just a rumour..I am happy because I like Watkins and the watkins family and it is the greatest company out here and this is the way I feel. I was very happy when they told us it was definitely a rumour...

wtnmale650 said:
due to legal issues with public trading they have no choice but to say everything is a rumor. if they told you they were going public or selling to another public trading company they could be in trouble for insider information before the transaction if they told you the truth. we will see, but my bet is on FedEx buying them to offer long haul service, deffered service offering, Canada and truckload. you can believe what you want, but its a sell in my opinion.

thank you.

Yeah Right

deloissiuda said:
I talked to The watkins family and they say there is no buyout it is just a rumour..I am happy because I like Watkins and the watkins family and it is the greatest company out here and this is the way I feel. I was very happy when they told us it was definitely a rumour...
Wasn't there a company back in 2001 that said they were not for sale that they were family owned just like Watkins. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm American Freightways ring a bell. Sheridan Garrison was a hell of a nice guy but even he ahd everyone fooled. DODN'T BE SURPRISED WHEN IT HAPPENS dollar signs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ are what they look for. Think about it, you could be the most die hard owner out there but money always, ALWAYS does the best talking.:wavey:

deloissiuda said:

Was this from Chip or Clay?

deloissiuda said:

That is exactly what they HAVE to say. After the sale, they will explain alot of things to their employees...They cannot divulge information before the sale. They may also make the point that this sale is in the very best interest of all Watkins people.:cool:

Lack of Denial

The very lack of denial by the managment of WML (of whom I am employed by) screams volumes that the company is on the block, it maybe not this week or next month, but companies of WML size need to grow or get out of the way. Look for more buyouts (or sellouts) in the next couple of years of the medium sized carriers.

As far as FXF turning WML into a truckload carrier, that is far fetched in my mind. We have mostly pups, most of our runs are bids, and a lot of linehaul drivers are home everyday. So if you turn it into a longhaul carrier, you lose ALL your p&d drivers and at least half or more of your linehaul guys.

I do not think there are a few thousand drivers just sitting around waiting to go on the road for FXF, but hey I might be wrong.

At least not this guy, I won't be running all over the USA for anyone.

God got me this job, if I need another one, I am sure he will provide it

Peace.....

jm0418 said:
The very lack of denial by the managment of WML (of whom I am employed by) screams volumes that the company is on the block, it maybe not this week or next month, but companies of WML size need to grow or get out of the way. Look for more buyouts (or sellouts) in the next couple of years of the medium sized carriers.

As far as FXF turning WML into a truckload carrier, that is far fetched in my mind. We have mostly pups, most of our runs are bids, and a lot of linehaul drivers are home everyday. So if you turn it into a longhaul carrier, you lose ALL your p&d drivers and at least half or more of your linehaul guys.

I do not think there are a few thousand drivers just sitting around waiting to go on the road for FXF, but hey I might be wrong.

Peace.....

I have heard from a couple of sources UPS is buying WML. Just rumor but you never know.:wavey:

jm0418 said:

Peace.....

I don't know if FedEx will buy Watkins or any other carrier for that matter. But I did read somewhere that FedEx Freight would be trying to double in size over the next five years. If this is the case, would it not be wise to buy another LTL carrier for the equipment and more importantly the qualified driver employees? I doubt that FedEx Freight would waste money on Watkins just to turn it into a TL carrier when it will need these resources to grow it's LTL segment. JMHO

FedEx buys Watkins

In my opinion FedEx is just fine without us. I am a watkins driver. I think Fed Ex needs to leave our company alone and find other ways to improve themselves. We are a small company and It is just great for us drivers. I don't want FedEx to hum in on a good thing..Thank you

Wow wait till this filters down the ranks.
Important meeting this moring. Nobody was allowed on the floor during meeting... I took a look at the cars in the parking lot. They all had Disney Parking stickers. I think Disney is the one with the buyout.