Yellow | Yrc needs to fix the a/c on these linehaul tractors (red tag)

With all due respect, give me a break. How many decades did drivers drive OTR and P/D without A/C in all kinds of heat. Let's not get ridiculous with this. An occasional run without A/C isn't going to destroy anybody. Spare me the drama.

Yes,you`re right,many years ago we didn`t have A/C but the trucks had vent windows,floor vents, and the "R" model macks even had vents in the roof that would circulate the air and made it a little more bearable in the 90 degree heat. The trucks built today are designed to have working A/C units in them today. The trucks of today are a lot more difficult to even circulate the air,some don`t even have floor vents in the newer units or vent windows, and roof vents, they are a thing of the past. I remember the old "R" and "U" model macks that didn`t have air but they had the roof vents and that made them bearable,but there is nothing like a good A/C unit in a truck to keep a driver comfortable on the road.

We also did not have Power steering, cruse control,heated mirrors, air ride seats,electric windows,bunk heaters and hand rails. Many of us stood on the picket lines to get what you enjoy so much today! Why give up something that has been put into your contract that was if you don't remember signed by BOTH sides.
If you for one minute think this company is going to fold because you forced them to follow the contract you may want to start looking for employment elsewhere ( Beat the rush).
I have seen the regional shop manager at 881 (SLC) Mike M take working AC units out of road tractors that were going into city service and put them in scrap bin. Only to be forced to buy new AC units to put back in said trucks. What a waste of money but he was more worried about not having to repair them. They worked !!
He is also guilty of forging mechanics signatures on OD 199's that the work has been done to make his numbers. The biggest thing here is the company knows it, the labor man says he will fire anyone forging documents but this guy is still on the payroll !! F-em make them fix the junk its your CSA score ...

Can you be forced to drive a truck without A/C the correct answer is YES . BUT and I repeat BUT that's only if the truck is headed to a shop facility that repairs A/C unit !!!

Give me a break, your **** line-drivers! You sit on your ass all day, half you guys can barley walk. It won't kill you to sweat a little. Put down the soda pop and drink some********** water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,you`re right,many years ago we didn`t have A/C but the trucks had vent windows,floor vents, and the "R" model macks even had vents in the roof that would circulate the air and made it a little more bearable in the 90 degree heat. The trucks built today are designed to have working A/C units in them today. The trucks of today are a lot more difficult to even circulate the air,some don`t even have floor vents in the newer units or vent windows, and roof vents, they are a thing of the past. I remember the old "R" and "U" model macks that didn`t have air but they had the roof vents and that made them bearable,but there is nothing like a good A/C unit in a truck to keep a driver comfortable on the road.

Had to love the venting system in the R model I used to drive. I had them open in all weather, you could open two or three and they would cancel each other out and leave in just as much fresh air as I wanted. One big thing is what our bodies have gotten conditioned to and these days we are all conditioned to A/C so going without it is exceptionally rough for a few days until we get acclimated. Anyone who has worked with both has to admit that at the end of the day one feels a lot better if sitting in an air conditioned environment and none of our execs would drive their cars far without it.

I see it as an argument of Safety not comfort. :crybaby: Anything to help keep the driver alert that last few hours as the Sun comes up.

Triplex I don't object to no A/C in extraordinary situations. It is the pervasive attitude that maintaining them in a reasonable working condition is not necessary.
Also with the need to hire and RETAIN drivers wouldn't it be wise to provide the modest comfort of A/C? After all the conditions of employment here are NOT what they once were.

Triplex I don't object to no A/C in extraordinary situations. It is the pervasive attitude that maintaining them in a reasonable working condition is not necessary.
Also with the need to hire and RETAIN drivers wouldn't it be wise to provide the modest comfort of A/C? After all the conditions of employment here are NOT what they once were.

Albag, Wolf, and others, don't misinterpret my comments. I absolutely agree the A/C should be maintained and operating wherever it's use has been mandated. I just feel that some of the "over the top" attitudes about having to use a unit on an "OCCASIONAL" basis where the A/C isn't working were a bit ridiculous. Real safety issues - brakes, tires, steering, etc. - I would absolutely refuse to drive. Calling lack of A/C a safety issue is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. And I say that after having driven OTR for many years with no A/C, no power steering, no air-ride seats, no brains ( :D ), etc.

Where can I start a thread to convince the company to equip the Yard horses with A/C? Anyone? Why should the company discriminate against yard guys that have to straddle a 250 degree transmission for 8 or 10 hrs? WHERE IS MY RELIEF??????

Give me a break, your **** line-drivers! You sit on your ass all day, half you guys can barley walk. It won't kill you to sweat a little. Put down the soda pop and drink some********** water.
Perhaps you would also welcome a return to the days of carton freight, draglines, and DIESEL powered forklifts? I seriously doubt that! It is obvious that you have NO concept of what it is like to sit behind nearly 1300 square inches of 200 degree coolant! Factor in that ALL that heat is BARELY contained in the engine compartment. A significant amount enters the cab. And if you are lucky enough to have a day time bid, does fish bowl mean anything to you?

<snip>
And if you are lucky enough to have a day time bid, does fish bowl mean anything to you?

That's why I always carry a roll of aluminum foil on my daytime trips in summer. Scotch tape the foil across the windshield leaving a narrow slit to be able to see out and that reflects most of the heat/sunlight keeping the cab cool! :hysterical:

We had a road driver at YF who would cover up the glass. He was warned not to put anything up to the windows. He was canned a few times right in the yard for doing what he was told not to. He got smart and pulled down the street to cover windows. Safety man and LM were waiting and that was the last we saw of him. Beware !!

I have seen a few where the motor cover was raised up with a bungee cord and a mud flap put on deck at back door to keep heat down. Bib overalls soaked with hose will keep you cool for a few hours I believe Fred -X has AC in their new yard tractors .
Where can I start a thread to convince the company to equip the Yard horses with A/C? Anyone? Why should the company discriminate against yard guys that have to straddle a 250 degree transmission for 8 or 10 hrs? WHERE IS MY RELIEF??????

That's why I always carry a roll of aluminum foil on my daytime trips in summer. Scotch tape the foil across the windshield leaving a narrow slit to be able to see out and that reflects most of the heat/sunlight keeping the cab cool! :hysterical:

I thought you were carrying the aluminum foil to make a hat, to keep aliens from reading your mind.

I thought you were carrying the aluminum foil to make a hat, to keep aliens from reading your mind.

Naw, I stopped making the hats when too many aliens complained that there was nothing in my mind worth reading! :19: