XPO | ARE WE THE ONLY MAJOR PLAYERS IN LTL THAT WORK THE DOCK?

We don’t have enough drivers or tractors for rescues. They have gone very bad every time. You aren’t anyone’s priority sitting on the side of the road. The terminal considers it a line haul problem. Line haul wants the terminal to fetch its driver. We had a guy run out of time 4 miles from another terminal and the TM there flatly refused to pick the driver up. Not my driver. Not my freight. Not my problem. The numbers are so tight that they wouldn’t pull anyone off a peddle or delay a peddle to rescue a driver. If you aren’t going to make it back. Be prepared to lock the truck up and take an Uber somewhere. No one in the company gives a spit at all about you. You are on your own.
The problem is driver that keep bending over backwards for them. I was pickup once and when I got in the TM cars he asked what happened..I told him this was to prove a point and it wont happen again. If I feel I wont have enough time to do a via it comes home and it has numerous time even with G freight on. You want to hold me at the FAC no problem I just take it home. The last time it happened LH question me about it and told them to look at what time the loads closed and what time I left. Then call the FAC ask why did they held me on loads that closed at 11pm and 1am and I'm dispatching at 4am. I taking them home,,"click"

The problem is driver that keep bending over backwards for them. I was pickup once and when I got in the TM cars he asked what happened..I told him this was to prove a point and it wont happen again. If I feel I wont have enough time to do a via it comes home and it has numerous time even with G freight on. You want to hold me at the FAC no problem I just take it home. The last time it happened LH question me about it and told them to look at what time the loads closed and what time I left. Then call the FAC ask why did they held me on loads that closed at 11pm and 1am and I'm dispatching at 4am. I taking them home,,"click"

That’s horrible. But I’m not even talking about a via. I am talking about trying to get straight home on 14. They hold everyone. It’s not right.

The FAC is poorly run. They hold drivers because management don’t know what else to do. Top guys arguing to get out at the limit. Skipping lunches to make it back with minutes left on their 14. Meanwhile. The junior people won’t even show up for loads until it’s late. And then drag their feet to get to the FAC. And when they do get there. It’s straight to lunch. And after they do come out on the dock, next thing you look around and they are all out by the tractor line smoking. Zero fraks given. None. And I can’t even blame them. This is a miserable place to work. I’m surprised they even keep showing up. Everyone is hiring. Why even stay here ?
I’m glad you only have the bottom guys dragging ass. At my barn I have top guys and bottom guys dragging ass. Senior drivers show up and take two and leave and the bottom guys bitching because they get out late. Two of us laugh at the 9 hour club, 5 hours to get to Fac and 4 hours or less home. It’s pathetic that I can leave one hour after the first guy to Fac and get there at the same time. But like everyone said, no one cares.

Therein lies the problem - skipping lunch to make it back before the 14. If those guys would just take their lunch as required, let the 14 hit, and then call dispatch to have another driver come out and rescue them, maybe somebody would notice and fix things. But doing what they're doing isn't helping remedy the situation.
That’s the problem, no one cares. I’ve been rescued twice in the last 4 days and I’ve gotten back late for two weeks, so late they don’t touch the loads till the next day, and I’ve have not once been ask by any supervisor or the TM about what is happening. I told the FOS that picked me up Tuesday morning that it was going to be a regular event and that I was not burning my 16 anymore since nobody cares. So have fun picking me up on Saturdays far away from the terminal cause I will be paid to wait for them

That’s horrible. But I’m not even talking about a via. I am talking about trying to get straight home on 14. They hold everyone. It’s not right.
Here's one way to **** them off....Let them hold you then when they let you leave tell them you too fatigue to drive and want a hotel room. The thing is everyone from you barn need to do this and I mean everyone. You can not have anyone cave stand you ground. When you barn has no freight to delivery, truck to drive, and a complete cluster f the next night they might learn something. The big word is might.
If they give you sh1t tell then you want to talk to the director of safety and you will wait while they get a hold of him. Then quote him FMCSA 392.3
"No driver shall operate a commercial motor vehicle, and a motor carrier shall not require or permit a driver to operate a commercial motor vehicle, while the driver's ability or alertness is so impaired, or so likely to become impaired, through fatigue, illness, or any other cause, as to make it unsafe for him/her to begin or continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle. However, in a case of grave emergency where the hazard to occupants of the commercial motor vehicle or other users of the highway would be increased by compliance with this section, the driver may continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle to the nearest place at which that hazard is removed."

They really hate it when you throw safety in there face
Remember Safety first

Last edited:
Here's one way to **** them off....Let them hold you then when they let you leave tell them you too fatigue to drive and want a hotel room. The thing is everyone from you barn need to do this and I mean everyone. You can not have anyone cave stand you ground. When you barn has no freight to delivery, truck to drive, and a complete cluster f the next night they might learn something. The big word is might.
If they give you sh1t tell then you want to talk to the director of safety and you will wait while they get a hold of him. Then quote him FMCSA 392.3
"No driver shall operate a commercial motor vehicle, and a motor carrier shall not require or permit a driver to operate a commercial motor vehicle, while the driver's ability or alertness is so impaired, or so likely to become impaired, through fatigue, illness, or any other cause, as to make it unsafe for him/her to begin or continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle. However, in a case of grave emergency where the hazard to occupants of the commercial motor vehicle or other users of the highway would be increased by compliance with this section, the driver may continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle to the nearest place at which that hazard is removed."

Remember Safety first
I couldn't agree more...10 likes

Just a guess but I would say at Holland about 20 percent of the night guys stay out all week and about 20 percent work the dock, usually in the 1 to 4 hour range.
That's at the barns I am familiar with.

Remember Safety first
It's so sad that rules/regulations/laws are in place for the benefit of us drivers and yet so many want to ignore them for their own personal gain/benefit. :duh: :duh:

I work the dock every night and I don't work for XPO. It's a trade off for getting to be home everyday. I am on 270 mile run average about 4 hours a night dock time.
I can keep my day under 10 hours total most days. No complaints here

I work the dock every night and I don't work for XPO. It's a trade off for getting to be home everyday. I am on 270 mile run average about 4 hours a night dock time.
I can keep my day under 10 hours total most days. No complaints here

If I was doing 10 a night I wouldn’t be upset either. They won’t let me go. Even if I have loads.

It sucks that the FAC won’t let you service your internal customer. Your inbound. It used to be about the customer. Not anymore.
I haven't heard or read ANYTHING that even acknowledges this idea. ( Since the company became XPO ) This went hand in hand with the fact that was written on the check envelopes we used to receive ( not word for word - getting old , I don't remember exactly )

Basically , the check you received was made possible by the customers whose freight you handle.

Someone holding you ( and keeping you from making better service possible down the line ) is short sighted and driven by the computer screen , number culture AND lack of big picture , I only care about myself guy ( or girl )

I get it. You look good if you hold a driver to load other trailers. The issue is bigger than that though. Make the drivers that are dodging the work , work. Make the slacker dockworkers work. If drivers hang out and simply won't show up on time ( an everybody KNOWS it ) do something about it BESIDES trying to work the good people harder.

I could go on , but you get the point. Management takes the lazy way out by avoiding issues with problems and asks for more from those that work , in turn making those that do the lions share of the work into people that don't give a f#ck.

Oh well. There's plenty of other work out there. The issue is finding the right fit for yourself.

I haven't heard or read ANYTHING that even acknowledges this idea. ( Since the company became XPO ) This went hand in hand with the fact that was written on the check envelopes we used to receive ( not word for word - getting old , I don't remember exactly )

Basically , the check you received was made possible by the customers whose freight you handle.

Someone holding you ( and keeping you from making better service possible down the line ) is short sighted and driven by the computer screen , number culture AND lack of big picture , I only care about myself guy ( or girl )

I get it. You look good if you hold a driver to load other trailers. The issue is bigger than that though. Make the drivers that are dodging the work , work. Make the slacker dockworkers work. If drivers hang out and simply won't show up on time ( an everybody KNOWS it ) do something about it BESIDES trying to work the good people harder.

I could go on , but you get the point. Management takes the lazy way out by avoiding issues with problems and asks for more from those that work , in turn making those that do the lions share of the work into people that don't give a f#ck.

Oh well. There's plenty of other work out there. The issue is finding the right fit for yourself.
I’m always surprised (though I don’t know why) that inbound supervisors don’t call the FAC’s demanding they release their drivers when there are loads closed for them to return home. This has been true for most of my years on linehaul. There have been “rules” on the subject, but as HS points out, they are often not followed. If I know there are loads closed, I’m at the desk asking to go. I finish loading one trailer or hand off what I’m doing and then it’s time to go. It’s not that I’m not a team player, I’ll finish my breaker etc, but I am here to get my inbound freight back.

I’m always surprised (though I don’t know why) that inbound supervisors don’t call the FAC’s demanding they release their drivers when there are loads closed for them to return home. This has been true for most of my years on linehaul. There have been “rules” on the subject, but as HS points out, they are often not followed. If I know there are loads closed, I’m at the desk asking to go. I finish loading one trailer or hand off what I’m doing and then it’s time to go. It’s not that I’m not a team player, I’ll finish my breaker etc, but I am here to get my inbound freight back.
We were told that the FAC has cut time they must meet....Every lane has a first and a last time. If someone is running a via to your place that counts as the first cut time. Drivers coming through to pick don't have a cut time and if you are the only one at the FAC you are the last time. I know mine out of the 2 FAC I run. I was also told that they want 60% of the inbound freight back by 6am

We were told that the FAC has cut time they must meet....Every lane has a first and a last time. If someone is running a via to your place that counts as the first cut time. Drivers coming through to pick don't have a cut time and if you are the only one at the FAC you are the last time. I know mine out of the 2 FAC I run. I was also told that they want 60% of the inbound freight back by 6am
ahh cut times. Those are funny.