Yellow | FedEx combines freight / national companies

Regarding FedEX’s (FDX) decision yesterday to consolidate its freight business carrying “less than truckload,” or LTL deliveries, Dahlman Rose analyst Jason Seidl argues the decision, which apparently was the “most carefully researched decision the company has ever taken,” was the right thing to do: “We believe this action not only bodes well for FedEx Freight but for the rest of the LTL industry.

Seidl’s conclusion, while not elaborated, seems to be that the consolidation, which will eliminate jobs and facilities,

will be a major reduction in capacity in the trucking industry, which should help prices for everyone.

now this is one senseless analysis

Why couldn't an OO pull any fedx trailer?
Is there a contract somewhere preventing it?

We have a "contract" and Glenn Moore pulling our trailers so whats your point.
Send them Zollars and Tyson they will do wonders with their company and morale.

Will be an interesting time here over the next few months as this merger happens.
With nothing in writing and no contract/grievance machinery Fredrick will screw the daylights out of these hard working employees and their is nothing they can do,except find another job if their not happy.
After running this for a bit they will see better ways to do things and along comes what we called a change of operations,How will that go down ?
What will happen to those 80 mph owner operators ? I know a few retired Teamsters that will feel pain

OK. Let's see if how the're going to do it is going to work. The displaced workers will be allowed to follow their freight. They will be allowed to dovetail in on their company seniority. They then will bid on on their job class seniority with the bottom workers that are not needed to be laid off according to work levels. Does this sound familiar at all? Does this sound unfair to you at all? I didn't think so.

OK let's see if you get this ! This is the YRC forum NOT the FedEx forum how about that !

OK. Let's see if how the're going to do it is going to work. The displaced workers will be allowed to follow their freight. They will be allowed to dovetail in on their company seniority. They then will bid on on their job class seniority with the bottom workers that are not needed to be laid off according to work levels. Does this sound familiar at all? Does this sound unfair to you at all? I didn't think so.

And this thread isn't about FedEx? All I was trying to do was point out that maybe they are going to get as fair of a shake as possible for their circumstance of not belonging to any collective bargaining agreement. And that the process follows very closely to what would and has been done in a collective bargaining agreement situation. My post was intended to be strictly informational.

From what I read up there they will be transferring in with job class seniority not full company seniority...like if a guy was road for 10 and city for 10 it would be 10 years seniority not 20...maybe I'm wrong.

Who cares, wait til Fed Ex decides to save even more money and make millions more by getting rid of their employees, because the cost of insurance and employee benefits. The Fed Ex Management will give two options to all their employees soon, and that is for every driver to either buy his/her own truck or get out. Hmm, imagine that? Does NAFTA and the Super Highways sound familiar? I thought so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over here at FXF and FXFN we got a little tired of you guys getting all the ink under the category of "Unhappy Campers". They are offering up to 40 weeks severance pay for those displaced employees. If they offer it to me, you can color me gone. I'm pulling the pin in 11 months anyway. The only thing that would really sweeten this deal is if we could get our hands on Dollar Bill. I know he would be a real assist to Hootersville, once he learns to speak the language. Happy Trails TP

What is really interesting is we saw first hand the huge mistakes made merging yellow and roadway. if done properly they might not lose that much business. This fed ex merger might be done by better upper management without the issues of going from high tech to stone age.

Transfers are done by company seniority first, then after that they would rebid based off board seniority. But they need to stay on the same board, if they switch boards they would lose job class seniority but keep company seniority.
From what I read up there they will be transferring in with job class seniority not full company seniority...like if a guy was road for 10 and city for 10 it would be 10 years seniority not 20...maybe I'm wrong.

Transfers are done by company seniority first, then after that they would rebid based off board seniority. But they need to stay on the same board, if they switch boards they would lose job class seniority but keep company seniority.

Is the pay scale the same for freight and national??

They are offering up to 40 weeks severance pay for those displaced employees.
I wish YRCW would offer us 40 weeks of cash severance also. All they could offer us is their worthless stock instead of cash. Well at least we could finish wallpapering our house, I guess. (like we have with those stock warrants)

Who cares, wait til Fed Ex decides to save even more money and make millions more by getting rid of their employees, because the cost of insurance and employee benefits. The Fed Ex Management will give two options to all their employees soon, and that is for every driver to either buy his/her own truck or get out. Hmm, imagine that? Does NAFTA and the Super Highways sound familiar? I thought so.

I couldn't care less about what they do or your analysis of their future plans. My post was to provide information on how they were going to merge the companies and the similarities to what was done under a collective bargaining agreement. The tone of this thread is that FedEx wasn't going to treat their employees fairly. Their plan is similar to what was done in past CBA mergers.

i was born in Tennessee there's a great chance I'll die here but i hate a right to work state all it is good for is the worker like slaves for lower wages benefits.

I couldn't care less about what they do or your analysis of their future plans. My post was to provide information on how they were going to merge the companies and the similarities to what was done under a collective bargaining agreement. The tone of this thread is that FedEx wasn't going to treat their employees fairly. Their plan is similar to what was done in past CBA mergers.
I never heard of anyone not caring for their future, but these people that work for Fed Ex in Canada and the US do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG5_cpwjbhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUg_KZqvTK0

YouTube - Teamster rally in Memphis for organizing FED-EX mechanics. Part 3

I don't claim to not care about FedEx employees fortune. I don't care about your conjecture as to the future plans and conspiracy theories about Nafta, etc. Please re-read my posts and you will see the spirit in which they were posted, which was to inform posters here as to FedEx's policy in this matter and the fairness of their plan. I don't think I could be more clear about this.