XPO | Pay increase??

part #2

We (the company) didn't stop there. We bought the cheapest and junkiest equipment we could get our hands on. We even gave them only 7 speed trans with no engine brakes. As told to me by a former CCX employee, "CCX driver weren't smart enough to know how to use engine brakes". For years we made sure the trucks had no A/C, radios and the cheapest seats money could buy even though other LTLs were upgrading there fleets with A/C, radios and seats. We did though splurge on a nice fan that sat on the dash but made sure the A/C in the office worked at max. Then sometime in mid 2000s A/C came standard in the trucks, though we never let them put a truck O/S for a non working A/C system. With all that money we saved on equipment we though it would be best spent it on a NASCAR race truck and the Con-Way 200 race in 2006. Then it hit 2008/09 the economy crashed and the bills were piling up and freight was down. We had to buy more exp trucks that had radios, engine brakes, and creature comforts for the drivers. We need to cut costed so we did. We layoff employees, took away there pension, company paid healthcare, and decreased they hourly rate. Told you not having union and contract would benefit us someday. We saved so much we even sponsor the #16 NASCAR in 2009. We did offer a 401K plan in place of the pension though we did hold the company portion for 3 month before giving it to the employee. Thank for letting us earn interest on money we own you. With cost going up and being in NASCAR sooooo expensive we looked at other ways to cut cost. We decreased the bonus program and sent our old trucks out to refab. Cheaper then buying new.
Over the years we schmoozed then with cookouts, breakfast meetings, and other events, all a tax write-off of course. Making sure they didn't need a union or a contract. Even into 2014 we were still holding new hire meetings and making sure we showed then anti-union video.

So the dinosaur you talking about are the ones that been here prior to 2008.
chomp chomp.
Nice read

Did the company cause inflation? No. Then why should the company be responsible for compensating you for inflation? Maybe you're just a complainer and wouldn't be happy with any raise, no matter how big it was.
By the same token did the company not raise their rates to compensate for their added cost?
Probably5,6,7 %?
And have they also increased their fuel surcharge ?
The drivers didn't cause inflation either. why should they make up the companies shortfall with the same % of raise they got before inflation went up?

I'm in the Midwest.

To pay for the 3.5 percent raise , the hour early Monday start times on inbound have been eliminated untill further notice.

This is in my region. I don't know if it's company wide.

What everyone was told was this move was in response to dropping freight levels. Freight levels have declined in the past but this is the first time the early Monday start has been cut. ( At least anywhere I've heard of )
At my barn they haven’t done the hour early Monday in a couple of years.

By the same token did the company not raise their rates to compensate for their added cost?
Probably5,6,7 %?
And have they also increased their fuel surcharge ?
The drivers didn't cause inflation either. why should they make up the companies shortfall with the same % of raise they got before inflation went up?
Let's agree to one thing first, that the federal government and only the federal government causes inflation, OK? So you're right, it's not the DSR's fault, but I don't see how that puts the onus on the company to make up for it, but suppose it did. Suppose for a minute that our wages were indexed directly to the rate of inflation. Last June, inflation hit a high of 9.1%. The most recent report stated that inflation is now at 6.5%. That's a difference of 2.6%. So last June, you're making 31.48/hr. Subtract 2.6% and now you're making 30.66/hr. You just took a 2.6% wage reduction. That's not realistic, is it? But yet that's what you and some others are asking for. As to your other points about the company raising rates and surcharges, it still doesn't change the fact that labor is the company's number one biggest cost and that applies to most companies. Let's look at from another angle, banks for example. Right now the rate on a 12 month CD is approaching 5% in some markets, but the prime rate is 7.55% and banks are going to lend money at an even higher rate than that. Point here is that no matter how much a bank pays you in interest, the bank is always going to get a higher rate for itself. The company is always going to be able to earn more in terms of a percentage than the employee, that's the way it works and if you want to keep your job, you should be thankful the company is making money.

Look at Mister company guy over here, how deep do you have your nose up their asses ? Look here ding dong , we as drivers deserve that raise we are the ones that make this company not our managers, we are the ones breaking our backs every day and night and you tell me we don’t deserve something that’s fair for us , people like you are all day under that desk sucking up to the man , get a backbone and stick up for yourself.

3.5 raise is damn joke all of our supervisors got a nice little bonus 10 thousand for that ding dong that works the sector 30 for the FOM and what the hell did we get ? XPO made so much money these last 2 years on our backs they don’t even know what to do with it , this 3.5 % so called raise is a disgrace
Seems to me, the company knows what to with the money it made from "breaking our backs" as you put it. They're building new terminals and buying new tractors and trailers, and trying to hire more drivers and dockworkers. And now, come this year, the company is investing in it's existing workforce. The company is plowing money back into the business, which is exactly what a good company does. Have you ever stopped to think what 3.5% actually means in terms of total dollars spent. According to the company website, they employ 13,000 drivers. Currently in most markets, top scale is 31.48/hr. In one year at that rate for a 40 hr work week. The company's annual payroll was $851,219,200.00. And that's only counting drivers, not DW's, CSR's or managers. And that's not counting DSR O/T and mileage pay. This 3.5% you're complaining about is going to cost the company another $29,792,672.00. Let me ask you this Mr. Eric Semen, are you going to give the company another 3.5% more work? When we got our 3% raise last year, did you give the company another 3% more work? I doubt it, in fact I know you didn't because I've seen some of your dumb posts before and all you ever seem to do is ask for more money, you're so selfish.

are you going to give the company another 3.5% more work? When we got our 3% raise last year, did you give the company another 3% more work? I
Are you referring to a merit raise or a COLA ? So what you’re saying is every time you get a COLA you should more effort in return ? You only deserve a raise for inflation if you work even harder ? I’m just trying to clarify this to process it . Doesn’t Xpo already manage to maximize your work load ?

Seems to me, the company knows what to with the money it made from "breaking our backs" as you put it. They're building new terminals and buying new tractors and trailers, and trying to hire more drivers and dockworkers. And now, come this year, the company is investing in it's existing workforce. The company is plowing money back into the business, which is exactly what a good company does. Have you ever stopped to think what 3.5% actually means in terms of total dollars spent. According to the company website, they employ 13,000 drivers. Currently in most markets, top scale is 31.48/hr. In one year at that rate for a 40 hr work week. The company's annual payroll was $851,219,200.00. And that's only counting drivers, not DW's, CSR's or managers. And that's not counting DSR O/T and mileage pay. This 3.5% you're complaining about is going to cost the company another $29,792,672.00. Let me ask you this Mr. Eric Semen, are you going to give the company another 3.5% more work? When we got our 3% raise last year, did you give the company another 3% more work? I doubt it, in fact I know you didn't because I've seen some of your dumb posts before and all you ever seem to do is ask for more money, you're so selfish.
Did you ever consider taking a pay cut to allow the company to profit even more from your work? Lol, take a pay reduction and work harder . If you haven’t why not ?
Do expect at some point in your endeavor to enrich their coffers at what point will it be if it you ? Is there a long term agreement that I’m not aware of that specifies those terms ?
I agree with doing your best but it’s a two way road .

Last edited:
We are all selfish, almost all of us are trying to make a living for us and our families the best we can. Some do better than others. But put this group of numbers in your cruncher and tell us all it's OK. In 1976 as a teamster, We were paid 42 cents a mile. XPO starts their road drivers off today at 58 cents a mile. Do the math on that. 47 years later just 14 cents a mile. Wow no wonder all these outfits go out of business. I'm guessing that doesn't quite keep up with inflation.

Let's agree to one thing first, that the federal government and only the federal government causes inflation, OK? So you're right, it's not the DSR's fault, but I don't see how that puts the onus on the company to make up for it, but suppose it did. Suppose for a minute that our wages were indexed directly to the rate of inflation. Last June, inflation hit a high of 9.1%. The most recent report stated that inflation is now at 6.5%. That's a difference of 2.6%. So last June, you're making 31.48/hr. Subtract 2.6% and now you're making 30.66/hr. You just took a 2.6% wage reduction. That's not realistic, is it? But yet that's what you and some others are asking for. As to your other points about the company raising rates and surcharges, it still doesn't change the fact that labor is the company's number one biggest cost and that applies to most companies. Let's look at from another angle, banks for example. Right now the rate on a 12 month CD is approaching 5% in some markets, but the prime rate is 7.55% and banks are going to lend money at an even higher rate than that. Point here is that no matter how much a bank pays you in interest, the bank is always going to get a higher rate for itself. The company is always going to be able to earn more in terms of a percentage than the employee, that's the way it works and if you want to keep your job, you should be thankful the company is making money.
I am thankful my company is making money.
And I can see your point as well.
I'm not even saying the company has to make up for the inflation difference.
I'm saying they did take the opportunity to raise rates to record levels and add every surcharge they could.
They haven't been hurt one ounce by inflation.
Have you noticed that almost every single ltl has had record profits while most have had tonnage decrease?
My point along with most here is that they could do a lot better raise wise to the drivers...you know the guys who are the biggest cost, but do the actual work.

I am thankful my company is making money
Everyone wants that. That’s long term employment. Ltl companies are not striking a balance between probability and the compensating their drivers rightly . It’s all about the company and why ? Because they can continue to count on the degradation in laws that empower employees. Until the playing field levels expect the same . They are flexing their muscles with laws such as right to work . It really what it’s all about .

Last edited:
I watched a guy fight the company for three weeks because he did not get paid for seven miles one week.
Well at least I not alone in that case. I every week look over my pay stub. I done 5mins and one time 2 miles. Yes the process is a pain in the azz but if you don't do it they will just do it again and again.
He probably made two hundred bucks on the clock telling everybody about the progress
You are allowed 20mins for a drop or a hook before you have to give a reason. So if you do 6 of them that totals 2hrs or at my pay rate $64.48. The company pays you in 100th of an hour. So each drop/hook is paid a .33hr. So 6 total up to 1.98hr and you get paid $63.84 or a savings of .64 cents a night if you do 6 drop and hooks.

In spite of knowing a guy that when the fuel island went down. Took his Freightliner down to the quick stop and filled it with unleaded.
This is 100% believable. They had a posting at the one FAC of so called drivers that put oil in the coolant and another putting coolant in the oil. Why does any here every pay to go to a comedy show all you have to do is come to work and get paid to laugh.

supervisors got a nice little bonus 10 thousand for that ding dong that works the sector 30 for the FOM and what the hell did we get
Let me see get paid by the hour and a 3.5% raise.....or get paid salary and get a 10K or 30K bonus taxed at 40% and listen to 100s of DSR and DW problems and your boss on you azz about numbers......Think about it

BECAUSE THE MAJORITY AT XPO HAVE PUT THEIR TRUST IN MANAGEMENT TO DO THE RIGHT THING.
Just like you did for years working for CCX/Con-way and who did all the taking if I may ask????
What's you contract say about raises???? Oh that right you get what they deem...What are you going to do go on strike if you don't like what they offer.