ABF | ABF Strike Vote!

So if central states goes out do you thing the'll try to run the freight around them?

They can run freight around all they want, but the amount of freight that comes out of this region is going to be devastating to all parts of ABF system. It's the pick up and delivery in the area that is going to stop. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I sure would like a little more information on the 300 loads.
Straight loads ? Big nation wide roll out of some product ?
Any ABF people sitting home while this goes on ?
Where are these loads going ?
If I remember right the NMFA ( The one ABF is not party to ) allow's this ie Glenmoore.
Correct me if I am wrong ...

I don't have a dog in this fight I work for the red headed step child of big brown, but the IBT wants us to go backwards on our pension allow a new sub class of road drivers and we make huge profits its t

It was good hear today at the 710 union meeting, that ABF will pay health and pension benefits for the workers for all time spent on the picket line. Per PF
I guess you didnt make the meeting ?
B/A might have said it but I'm not buying that one unless they have different benefits language there, or they are going to coordinate a strike in a manner that permits it to happen. We all have to work a minimum about of time to have benefits for any given month and there are lag times between working/not working that the insurance takes a while to start or lapse. Now if a strike was conducted after the amount of time that had to be worked was put in for a month to keep benefits then you could say the company was going to pay benefits. But if a strike is called, say on the first of a month and not settled until after the worker could not work the required number of days to get benefits for the month I don't see it happening. So, I would have asked that B/A to elaborate.

They are not going to tell you anything that is truth or makes sense.... they have been telling mistruth from day 1..

You guys should should show up at a union meeting every once in a while instead of getting all your info second hand.

If a strike does happen, will the other regions follow with a sympathy strike. Or maybe even the company lock them out, until they get what they want?

We're talking a region with about 15-20 terminals and in excess of a thousand employees ,....mostly centered around Chicago. Even if individual terminals in the Supplemental Area voted unanimously for the Supplement, the regional area, as a whole, have voted it down. Kind of a hard area to run around , or do anything punitive to. I can see labor managers flocking to the outlying terminals promising anything,...hinting at anything, subtly threatening anything, ...just to get a cumulative total that will beat Chicago's. That will probably be the strategy,.....forget negotiations, or anything archaic like that......deception and half-truths to scare the uneducated seems to be the strategy that works,.....has worked so far. The IBT will lackadaisically phone in their representation, doing the bare minimum, as they have done from the beginning,.....they won't change their tactics, either. It's up to the guys from that Supplemental Area to figure out the lies from the truth. Will the company try a lockout? Only if they want the stock price to tank,.....and Lord knows THAT is the most important thing to our management. So I don't see a lockout, and I see the company quaking in their shoes about a possible strike,.....and the IBT doesn't care one way or another. My Call.......I think the guys in the Central States Supplement are in the drivers' seat. Good Luck Guys!

We're talking a region with about 15-20 terminals and in excess of a thousand employees ,....mostly centered around Chicago. Even if individual terminals in the Supplemental Area voted unanimously for the Supplement, the regional area, as a whole, have voted it down. Kind of a hard area to run around , or do anything punitive to. I can see labor managers flocking to the outlying terminals promising anything,...hinting at anything, subtly threatening anything, ...just to get a cumulative total that will beat Chicago's. That will probably be the strategy,.....forget negotiations, or anything archaic like that......deception and half-truths to scare the uneducated seems to be the strategy that works,.....has worked so far. The IBT will lackadaisically phone in their representation, doing the bare minimum, as they have done from the beginning,.....they won't change their tactics, either. It's up to the guys from that Supplemental Area to figure out the lies from the truth. Will the company try a lockout? Only if they want the stock price to tank,.....and Lord knows THAT is the most important thing to our management. So I don't see a lockout, and I see the company quaking in their shoes about a possible strike,.....and the IBT doesn't care one way or another. My Call.......I think the guys in the Central States Supplement are in the drivers' seat. Good Luck Guys!
:notworthy:
This would not be the first time the Chicago area fought the fight for the rest of the country. I know an old timer who says there was one contract where Chi-Town was the only hold out and the whole country got an extra $1.00/hr raise out of it, and he is no bullshtr.

I dont see any reason why you guys in the central region (Chicago)cant go ahead and vote on a strike.just because there was a 30day extension (ibt said)doesnt mean a strike cant be voted on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

A strike authorization would not equate to a strike, it just ups the ante.

As Brother ABFer said, ......A strike authorization vote does not immediately precede a strike. It merely authorizes the IBT to give 72 hours' notice of intent to strike to the companies' negotiators. It ,......more importantly,.......INFORMS the company that the rank-and-file are, for the most part, united in their resolve to be forced to strike because of the companies' continuing unreasoning stance in negotiations. At that point,...the company may realize a tactic of lies, half-truths, and deception , aren't fooling a majority of the rank-and-file, and they may be forced to actually listen and negotiate with the representatives of those aforementioned stinky truckdrivers. In the companies' eyes,...that's dangerous, because it might affect the short-term stock price,......and....(heavy sarcasm alert...).....as we all know,...the short-term stock price is the God the ABC/ABF Board of Directors worship nowadays, to the exclusion of customers, employees, equipment, or pretty much anything else that doesn't put a quick million or so in their portfolio at the end of every day. Lord knows it's easier and much cheaper to put out false information to manipulate the stock price,....up one day, down the next,....and if you're controlling the "information" causing the stock swing,.....well, it's probably the financial equivalent of crack cocaine to the day traders we now have running this company. Much easier than actually running a trucking company, addressing,....(and respecting..) your employees' needs, servicing customers' needs, complying with laws.......Who needs all that when you can lie to your labor force,.....and to the public,.....and manipulate the stock price to jump up and down at will? Rumor has it that the reason ABF no longer posts the monthly O.R is NOT because of their fear of "insider trading",....( their official explanation for no longer doing so...),....but because MONTHLY O.R's are actually showing a PROFIT,..in a time when the company is pleading "poverty",....needing pay and vacation cuts because they are a short half-step from "bankruptcy". Of course, TNFINC,...the,.."professional" negotiators,.....are like the proverbial diplodicus that got kicked in the tail,.......and three months later, turned around to see who did it. Clueless. No wonder "dinosaurs" are extinct........