Yellow | Accelerated Service D.O.A.

I don't know how long you've been driving but it seems like it isn't very long. Pilots get paid by the trip and that includes and incorporates normal non-flying time such as pre-trip checkout. That's part of the trip requirements. We as road drivers also get paid by the trip and that includes and incorporates normal pre and post trip time. Any unusual time is compensated as per our contract - i.e., shop time, etc. It's been this way as long as I can remember and I started doing this almost 50 years ago. If you don't like the way our road compensation is structured then maybe you should go back to P&D where you're on the clock for everything. Your choice.
Now you fly planes, do yo dispatch too!!!!

I don't think you can sit down as a group with management and talk in an intelligent, rational way. Management doesn't want to here that their wrong and we have a better way of solving a problem. We've had to file a grievance on our poor dock condition even though it's obvious to everyone including management how bad things are, management didn't want to hear anything about it and wasn't going to fix anything unless they were forced to.

In my own experiences on jobs I've occasionally approached management with suggestions (not gripes) about improving/correcting some situation/operation on the job. I've found that when making those suggestions in an reasonably intelligent, rational way they have been listened to and often implemented. I think the secret is to make those suggestions from the viewpoint of improving something to make the company operate better and not in a way that comes off as just griping or complaining. Like the old saying - you catch more bees with honey than with horseshit. Just saying.

I don't think you can sit down as a group with management and talk in an intelligent, rational way. Management doesn't want to here that their wrong and we have a better way of solving a problem. We've had to file a grievance on our poor dock condition even though it's obvious to everyone including management how bad things are, management didn't want to hear anything about it and wasn't going to fix anything unless they were forced to.

Unfortunately this is both true and sad . But I guess I just keep hoping they will see the advantages to talking with the employees that actually do the job.

In my own experiences on jobs I've occasionally approached management with suggestions (not gripes) about improving/correcting some situation/operation on the job. I've found that when making those suggestions in an reasonably intelligent, rational way they have been listened to and often implemented. I think the secret is to make those suggestions from the viewpoint of improving something to make the company operate better and not in a way that comes off as just griping or complaining. Like the old saying - you catch more bees with honey than with horseshit. Just saying.
Can you give an example, and how much did it cost?

Can you give an example, and how much did it cost?

At two previous P&D jobs I had suggested running the route and loading the trailer in a slightly different way to make it more efficient for me as the driver. Didn't cost the company anything and it let me get to a couple of additional pickups that were sometimes missed. On a road job I suggested a slightly different way to do a run which would preserve driving hours in cases of occasional delays. None of my suggestions cost another worker anything at all but made my job a bit more efficient and potentially made the company operate slightly more efficiently. We drivers out on the road know sometimes that there can be improvements that dispatch/supervisors are unaware of.

At two previous P&D jobs I had suggested running the route and loading the trailer in a slightly different way to make it more efficient for me as the driver. Didn't cost the company anything and it let me get to a couple of additional pickups that were sometimes missed. On a road job I suggested a slightly different way to do a run which would preserve driving hours in cases of occasional delays. None of my suggestions cost another worker anything at all but made my job a bit more efficient and potentially made the company operate slightly more efficiently. We drivers out on the road know sometimes that there can be improvements that dispatch/supervisors are unaware of.
But do you go over that with your fellow brothers, and run it by you BA first.

So you are suggesting to eliminate the stringer position so your fellow road driver can be compensated.
No that is not what he is saying. What he is saying is that there is an enormous number of yard men not doing their jobs. When a unit is parked on the Ready Line it's not YRCF supervisors. It is our so called brothers and sisters who put them there NOT READY! BTW, if they won't do their FN jobs then maybe they do need to be eliminated, not the job just the BD who won't perform it correctly.

If you're logging/taking a half hour each for your pre and post trip inspections then you must be crawling around your unit on all fours with one leg in a cast.
Ok. I did a premow inspection, filled the gas tank, mowed for 1.5 hours, and did a post mow inspection. Now sitting in neighbors driveway drinking a Michelob Ultra. Is this logged on line 4 ???? Drinking and not driving ??

Ok. I did a premow inspection, filled the gas tank, mowed for 1.5 hours, and did a post mow inspection. Now sitting in neighbors driveway drinking a Michelob Ultra. Is this logged on line 4 ???? Drinking and not driving ??

Remember once you have exceeded the amount of alcoholic beverages and fall down, you must use 3 points of contact to get back up. Safety first.

At the small and medium sized YRCF terminals, get rid of the dock supervisors and let the Teamsters run things. Bid who will stay in the office and work the computer. As old as the work force is getting, you all know what needs to be done, it just takes a new way of Teamster thinking. It worked at the Big R for years before the merger. Just think about it, get the work done and then your all on your own.

Last edited: