TForce | Backing trailer with Dolly, WHY?

Its really something to see how long this thread topic has stretched out?
I never knew there was so many different opinions on hooking sets?

I personaly like the old way of dropping the dolly off in front of the tail,or kite whatever you want to call it.

If you are good enough to back your lead up with the dolly go for it.
If you break something its always on you the driver.

If you have to take a lot of time making a lot of passes to hook this way,and your blocking other drivers.
Well then your just plan rude,and only care about doing your own thing.

I live in the cold snowy up state NY region.
My way to hook has always worked regardless of the season.

I'm no hero,I have nobody to impress when I hook up sets.
I do it the old way,and even though I'm a city driver,and don't have to do this much.
So far so good,I really don't think its that much more trouble doing it the old way.

But to each their own,as long as you,and everyone else is happy that you are doing your best for our company.
Keep up the good work,you have my blessings.

Well the way I was trained many moons ago was to physically get out of the truck and position the dolly in front of the kite. Granted I'm not as young as I was, but I have also never had any issues to contend with, especially getting hurt. Besides you get in a jam because of your laziness, whether it's equipment damage or injury, the burden will fall on you. My advise, stay in decent shape and follow the rules. I'll be damned if the Company will can me for something stupid. Right now there is more than enough to worry and think about.

I guess you guys all have Pintle hooks on your tractors. I guess I'll just have to wrap a strap around the ring of the dolly, throw the strap over my back, and pull it through the yard like a mule.

I just hope there's not too many down hills, then again I could just hop up on the fifth wheel and ride it like a hoss.

Then again, I would anger the same guys doing this that were angry for waiting 1 minute for me to back the dolly behind the front box.

Just another thing to complain about.

How long has this company hauled double pups?
I have yet to see any of our tractors that don't have pintle hooks to tow dollys with?

When I first hired on with Overnite back in the day,we had the second story flat back Macks,for the road operation,and single axle Corn binders,thats Internationals to you newbies.
But all the tractors back then had pintle hooks.

It seems to me if one of our newer tractors don't have a way to tow the dollys,then they are handicapping the linehaul operation.
This is my opinion,living in the snowy north you've got to be able to tow the dollys out of the plowed snow banks,you'd never do it by hand,so not to have a hook on the tail of your tractor,how would you do this?

Well in your case steve5 you can get any other driver with a hook to drop the dolly off in front of the tail of your set.

I know I wouldn't mind helping you out if I was working at your terminal.
I do get paid by the hour seeing I'm a city driver,one more operation adds up,for pay day.

Even with no pintle hook on the tractor, all you have to do is pull the dolly to your rear using your lead and drop the dolly at the rear. Either leaving room in front of the tractor, or between the lead and tail, so that others can get by.
Its not hard. So maybe you have to push the dolly 10 or 20 feet by hand...big deal.

With all of the new safety rules in place, you definitely don't have to worry about getting run over by a fellow driver or jockey....or OWNER OPERATOR.....:hysterical: :biglaugh: :hysterical: :biglaugh:

Even with no pintle hook on the tractor, all you have to do is pull the dolly to your rear using your lead and drop the dolly at the rear. Either leaving room in front of the tractor, or between the lead and tail, so that others can get by.
Its not hard. So maybe you have to push the dolly 10 or 20 feet by hand...big deal.

With all of the new safety rules in place, you definitely don't have to worry about getting run over by a fellow driver or jockey....or OWNER OPERATOR.....
If I was to use the front trl to move a dollie in place shame on me for not just backing it up. Whats wrong with saving your back and a step or two:1036316054: :1036316054:

It's not taught or indorsed by UPS but it is a great skill to have when you really need it. Personally, I do it every time I hook. Practice makes perfect. It's good to practice all your trucking skills.

If you have the ability, have at it. I do also when I'm in a terminal where I won't be in the way in the process.
Boy now thats another topic guys showing no respect of the flow of traffic they just think of themselves and block the whole operation when hooking up or dropping.

It's not taught or indorsed by UPS but it is a great skill to have when you really need it. Personally, I do it every time I hook. Practice makes perfect. It's good to practice all your trucking skills.

I agree with most posted on this thread. But Upsf has shown us these pasts months they are all about safety and these things with not be tolerated especially when drivers damage air lines. Unfortunately these are the same guys that run into things when in a crowded yard, everyone got to go in a rush mentality. So I say get more yard guys out to help or just hook it for the drivers

Suprising!!!!! Why don't you just work for free and tell us all how great your life is......UPS would love to put you on salary.....

.3 is actually 18 min. some drivers take longer to hook when backing dolly with trailer. I'm paid .6 (triples) and I can actually do it in 20 min.thats taking my time and doing it the way i was trained, and knowing where everything is. I have actually beat guys hooking doubles. Did you hear about the STL team ?, one guy pinned his partner to the trailer legs with a dolly, from what I heard they where using the very method discussed on this thread when the driver went to far under a high trailer, his co-driver jumped out crawled under the trailer to lift the 5th wheel so it would clear the pin, the driver backed up by mistake and pushed him into the landing gear, bruising a rib, lucky guy.I guess pushing that dolly around and lowering that trailer would be to much of a work out!

Come on, we all are smart enough to know that that could have happened no matter if the gear was spotted, or backed up behind the trailer.

Come on, we all are smart enough to know that that could have happened no matter if the gear was spotted, or backed up behind the trailer.

Oh,Really Since when ? When I spot a dolly I ALLWAYS visually check the height ,Come on its right in front of your face! its common sense, when your backing into the kite, do you know how high it is? not unless you get out and check, Do YOU do that ? Nah, too much effort for you I bet:nutkick: .

Oh,Really Since when ? When I spot a dolly I ALLWAYS visually check the height ,Come on its right in front of your face! its common sense, when your backing into the kite, do you know how high it is? not unless you get out and check, Do YOU do that ? Nah, too much effort for you I bet:nutkick: .

How the dolly was spotted was NOT the critical error in this case.

When your partner (or anyone else) is assisting you in hooking up....You DO NOT move forward or backwards if you cannot see them.

Hey,,,,,,I have never caused anything other than a little cosmetic damage to trailers by backing my front and dolly into the kite. I've been doing this for years and have probably saved the company a great deal of money due to my quick hooking although that was not my motovation. I want to save MY back because I know this company doesn't give a d__m about it and never will.