Yellow | Camera coaching ?

I think most of us can agree on this.The reason or reasons most of us balk at the idea of peer coaching management coaching is the fact that this company and union run around saying the company is broke we need you to vote on another MOU to keep the doors open.So we are coerced into an agreement that we all really didn't come together on(first mou voted down).Then all of a sudden new 50 inch wide screen TVs are bought for most drivers rooms then the finger print machines(Company making sure no one steals a click).Then the bountiful bonuses abound for upper management.Doesnt sit well for the members who have given back 12000.00 dollars a year a cut pension and weeks vacation plus an added cut in our vacation pay from 1/52 to 1/58th.Jeez you want our first born child too? Wow we just got a 40 cent raise minus 15%.Not much has panned out as in improvements on our economic standpoint by individual.Rate of inflation still over running our salary.Thanks Mr.Hoffa

I think most of us can agree on this.The reason or reasons most of us balk at the idea of peer coaching management coaching is the fact that this company and union run around saying the company is broke we need you to vote on another MOU to keep the doors open.So we are coerced into an agreement that we all really didn't come together on(first mou voted down).Then all of a sudden new 50 inch wide screen TVs are bought for most drivers rooms then the finger print machines(Company making sure no one steals a click).Then the bountiful bonuses abound for upper management.Doesnt sit well for the members who have given back 12000.00 dollars a year a cut pension and weeks vacation plus an added cut in our vacation pay from 1/52 to 1/58th.Jeez you want our first born child too? Wow we just got a 40 cent raise minus 15%.Not much has panned out as in improvements on our economic standpoint by individual.Rate of inflation still over running our salary.Thanks Mr.Hoffa

Where are the company and the Union running around asking for another MOU to keep the doors open? I haven't heard anything about that.

By the way, the average inflation rate for 2015 was 0.1%. Our raise is about 1.58%. How exactly is 0.1% over running 1.58%?

I may have a different view, I don't think it's as much of an indication of truck drivers doing their job correctly/safely or not. As much as how different things are today. I think we can all agree how different things are today than they were just 10 years ago. Lawyers advertising for victims of " Careless truck drivers", the COMPLETE lack of common courtesy, cell phones, texting, we see it all. Heck. used to be, I looked out my side window for a nice seat cover, now I'm looking just to survive the trip, to see if the other driver is paying attention to what THEY are doing. I don't like the company cameras, but I also run one of my own just to cover my A$$ from frivolous lawsuits, so I kind of see their point. Our newer equipment with the adaptive cruise, lane departure and following distance warnings just plain SUCK, if I'm on the verge of road rage, these warning systems will just about push me over the EDGE and force me to take another break. I've been driving for over 20yrs, and I've been doing OK on my own, I don't need the equipment to tell me how to do it. As far as another teamster "coaching" me, I guess that depends ALOT on the situation, and how it's handled. Do I like it? NO, but I would rather listen to another driver than someone who's never been behind the wheel of a rig. The way I see it, the day I think I know it all, it's time to get out of the captains chair before I hurt myself or worse, someone else......
I have no problem with these cameras to protect a driver in a questionable accident. I have no problem with management reviewing them. Hell I don't even have a problem with the camera being in the truck! My problem starts when another Teamster get involved.
It is a company issue. No Brother should be involved!
Again, There is a right way to do this and a wrong way.

[Q="Triplex, post: 1038973, member: 164"]Where are the company and the Union running around asking for another MOU to keep the doors open? I haven't heard anything about that.

By the way, the average inflation rate for 2015 was 0.1%. Our raise is about 1.58%. How exactly is 0.1% over running 1.58%?[/QUOTE]
I dont know if you would know Triplex.I don't think you work here anymore.Pardon me if you do

Where are the company and the Union running around asking for another MOU to keep the doors open? I haven't heard anything about that.

By the way, the average inflation rate for 2015 was 0.1%. Our raise is about 1.58%. How exactly is 0.1% over running 1.58%?
Tell that to the tax bill on my home it outran those numbers by a mile :cuss:

Tell that to the tax bill on my home it outran those numbers by a mile :cuss:

I can't be held responsible for where you chose to live. :smile new:

Anyway, those high taxes go to pay those unionized public sector workers so you should be happy. :hide:

Strictly a volunteer thing to view your video.If you dont then your name goes to management and then a member of management will review the video with you.Then if you refuse management then your name goes into a file.Later on if actions are not corrected.You could possibly be disciplined for not improving your driving.At this juncture the driver could be considered a problem driver and a liability.At this time the driver could be discharged.Hows that for a volunteer scenario without discipline.
Not without progression. (Otherwise known as following the contract) Problem driver (In managements opinion) or not!

I am a safety trainer.When we coach a recorded event,we have been instructed to copy and paste approved verbage to the event.Each trigger "speeding,hard braking etc. ..."has its own verbage that we paste to the event.It is always the same words,every time.The program is set up this way so we don't have to testify against our brothers and sisters,just provide what is in the review.So if you are worried about recorded events causing you harm, then don't trigger an event.Your union brother or sister that is coaching the recorded events at your barn is trying to teach you how to keep from setting off the camera.
Thank you for joining this board and posting on this thread. I too am a Safety Trainer and a DriveCam reviewer. You Sir, have basically "hit the nail on the head" except for one thing: I don't have any "canned verbiage" that I copy and paste; every situation is unique. I agree 100% that our purpose is to teach our Brothers to not trigger the camera. We're not here to teach them how to drive; they already know how to do that or they wouldn't be here. What really chaps me is that a few of our people just can't stand the thought of being taught something by one of their peers. I can only guess that they want a manager to write them up instead of having me offer advice. Seems pretty dumb, I think. To be sure, I don't know everything either, but I was asked to be a reviewer because: a) the Division Safety guy thinks that I'm very fair, cordial, professional and able to make accurate assessments in every individual situation whether the driver needs some advice, or whether DriveCam needs to be challenged. (BTW, I've sent in a substantial number of challenges, and been upheld on nearly all of them.) b) I have a strong interest in helping get this company's BASICs scores lowered; c) I have enough computer savvy to perform the task; d) I understand the meaning of "confidential", an absolute requirement for this task.
Hang in there, Brother. We're doing the right thing, and we're doing it the right way. To my thinking, we need to remove management from a few more tasks that frankly, we can do better than they are.

I can't be held responsible for where you chose to live. :smile new:

Anyway, those high taxes go to pay those unionized public sector workers so you should be happy. :hide:
Taxes are high everywhere in the D/FW area unless you want to drive 100 miles each way to work. On the bright side we don't have a state income tax‼️
Not a big fan of the public sector unions‼️

Thank you for joining this board and posting on this thread. I too am a Safety Trainer and a DriveCam reviewer. You Sir, have basically "hit the nail on the head" except for one thing: I don't have any "canned verbiage" that I copy and paste; every situation is unique. I agree 100% that our purpose is to teach our Brothers to not trigger the camera. We're not here to teach them how to drive; they already know how to do that or they wouldn't be here. What really chaps me is that a few of our people just can't stand the thought of being taught something by one of their peers. I can only guess that they want a manager to write them up instead of having me offer advice. Seems pretty dumb, I think. To be sure, I don't know everything either, but I was asked to be a reviewer because: a) the Division Safety guy thinks that I'm very fair, cordial, professional and able to make accurate assessments in every individual situation whether the driver needs some advice, or whether DriveCam needs to be challenged. (BTW, I've sent in a substantial number of challenges, and been upheld on nearly all of them.) b) I have a strong interest in helping get this company's BASICs scores lowered; c) I have enough computer savvy to perform the task; d) I understand the meaning of "confidential", an absolute requirement for this task.
Hang in there, Brother. We're doing the right thing, and we're doing it the right way. To my thinking, we need to remove management from a few more tasks that frankly, we can do better than they are.
Real Teamster,you must understand that its not dumb.I have been with this company for almost 30 years and there has always been the mindset among a large percentage of the men that you never work with the company ,always work against it.I used to be one of them.After 3 pay cuts,trying to find something better and couldnt,I realized that those of us who are still here should be working to rebuild this company for our own future and the futures of our brothers and sisters who work in this industry.The old normal is not dumb,just antiquated thinking.

Gosh, your last sentence says a lot!!!!

Real Teamster,you must understand that its not dumb.I have been with this company for almost 30 years and there has always been the mindset among a large percentage of the men that you never work with the company ,always work against it.I used to be one of them.After 3 pay cuts,trying to find something better and couldnt,I realized that those of us who are still here should be working to rebuild this company for our own future and the futures of our brothers and sisters who work in this industry.The old normal is not dumb,just antiquated thinking.
With all due respect I think you preceive from a false presept.. (Sorry for the spelling). I too think like you in the respect of rebuilding this company. I try to do the best I can and take pride in my work.
But I think there are those who go too far too fast. Maybe in their quest they think they are doing the right thing, I don't know. But lines are being crossed and that is what my objection is. I belieive you can be both a good Teamster AND a good worker. Follow the rule and remember you are here to do a job. No more, No less. (Article 20. Fairs day work for a fair days pay)
Just my opinion here but there are those who think the Company is looking out for the workers best intrests. They are wrong. The company, Hell ANY company looks out for their stockholders first! That's business plain & simple. Anything that filters down to the workers has nothing to do but to try and prop up the bottom line. YRCW, Like any other company dose safety for the simple ideal of lowering costs! Not because they worry if you get hurt or even care about you personially! It's not evil so to speak, It's business plain & simple!
Having said that my objections to Teamster "coaching" other Teamsters is in my opinion a valid concern. Union Members are suppose to look out for each other! And I for one do not need the companies help in that nor do I want to be a part of a program like the one we are talking about. It's wrong! Plain and simple!

I can only guess that they want a manager to write them up instead of having me offer advice. Seems pretty dumb, I think.
The problem is they didn't ask for or necessarily want your advice, it is being forced on them. What if the deal went down like this, hey Joe you triggered the camera, want to talk about it? No thanks I'm good.

The problem is they didn't ask for or necessarily want your advice, it is being forced on them. What if the deal went down like this, hey Joe you triggered the camera, want to talk about it? No thanks I'm good.
Then you will never learn what triggered the camera, and thus how to prevent it in the future. While it's up to you to care or not, it's certainly not particularly professional nor is it a good example to the next generation (who, as we all know, are the ones most in need of a guiding hand).

Do you believe you know everything there is to know, Joe? My father is in his mid 50's and still learning, because we live in a constantly evolving world. I'm always willing to learn, myself, and feel that the day I stop learning is the day they put me in the ground.

Nobody wants to be TOLD how to do their job. But I'd take suggestions from a fellow truck driver before letting some safety hack who read a textbook tell me what he thinks he knows. And really, if management WAS in charge of this program, everyone who has a problem with it would still have a problem with it for exactly the reason I just said. Who is going to listen to anything management has to say when it comes to operating a truck? Nobody, that's who, because everyone would just walk away and say "Wtf does he know? He's not a truck driver."

With all due respect I think you preceive from a false presept.. (Sorry for the spelling). I too think like you in the respect of rebuilding this company. I try to do the best I can and take pride in my work.
But I think there are those who go too far too fast. Maybe in their quest they think they are doing the right thing, I don't know. But lines are being crossed and that is what my objection is. I belieive you can be both a good Teamster AND a good worker. Follow the rule and remember you are here to do a job. No more, No less. (Article 20. Fairs day work for a fair days pay)
Just my opinion here but there are those who think the Company is looking out for the workers best intrests. They are wrong. The company, Hell ANY company looks out for their stockholders first! That's business plain & simple. Anything that filters down to the workers has nothing to do but to try and prop up the bottom line. YRCW, Like any other company dose safety for the simple ideal of lowering costs! Not because they worry if you get hurt or even care about you personially! It's not evil so to speak, It's business plain & simple!
Having said that my objections to Teamster "coaching" other Teamsters is in my opinion a valid concern. Union Members are suppose to look out for each other! And I for one do not need the companies help in that nor do I want to be a part of a program like the one we are talking about. It's wrong! Plain and simple!
You've said you don't care about the cameras, and believe union members should look out for each other. Yet you believe that somehow, a Teamster using company supplied technology to help a fellow Teamster understand said technology (and how to avoid it) isn't a brother looking out for a brother, based solely upon the fact that the union did not supply the technology?

I understand your view on the corporate hierarchy. You're not wrong. The corporate view on safety vs. costs is how things like the Bhopal disaster happen. Technology like these cameras are there for us in accidents. Don't believe in the company-supplied Lytx ones? Get one of your own from a truck stop, because the footage can prove your innocence if a four wheeler cuts it too close.

If there's a fatal accident that you are involved in, your brother can't be called to testify against you because there's nothing for him to say that has anything to do with the incident, and any good lawyer would point that out if someone tried it. You would not be coached on the footage of a fatality, as that footage becomes evidence supplied to the court by Lytx on the company's behalf. And the company sure doesn't want such an accident to be your fault because, regardless of whether or not they care about YOU, they do not want one of their employees to be found responsible for a fatality because THEY are held accountable for it if you are. It's THEIR ASS if it's YOUR FAULT. So you can at least assume in this case that the company isn't going to throw you under the bus because it means they lose too.

As for the camera itself, no truck driver wants a company-run camera in their truck for fear of possible retribution. However, a lot of that has more to do with the inward facing camera than the outward one because nobody ever wants to incriminate themselves. I disagree with the inward camera, but the outward one can do a lot of good.

Show of hands. If the union had put it to vote, how many would've actually been in favor of having cameras installed?

A “coaches” testimony before a jury could cause far more damage to a Teamster than the same testimony given by a member of management, due to the fact that the “coach” would be viewed as a peer, and therefore seen as more sympathetic to the defendant, and more believable at the same time.

I have no problem with these cameras to protect a driver in a questionable accident. I have no problem with management reviewing them. Hell I don't even have a problem with the camera being in the truck! My problem starts when another Teamster get involved.
It is a company issue. No Brother should be involved!
Again, There is a right way to do this and a wrong way.
hell our stewards are doing the coaching at 135