XPO | Conway is also organizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey instigator.... If you have any question about the union please just contact your nearest local or ask for the Convict @

The reason LLA is organizing is, It is the biggest terminal BY FAR, in the Con-way system. Has nothing to do with race in ANY way, and, more power to any Latino that wants to lead the way, this old Anglo will follow:-)
Interesting that the Latino segment would lead this charge. I wonder how much pull they have.

The changing demographics of this country are making for some awkward sociopolitical situations.

The creepy old Anglos are now counting on the people they wanna send home and build up a wall to keep out.

For some of these guys , this is the best job and the most money that they've had. Most Con-way drivers simply don't know any better. After a few years at work at this place, one tends to go get a mortgage, car note, and a girlfriend. Now they're trapped in the "rat race" and they have to put up with whatever these grey shirts and upper management dishes out. It's sad to see too, we have all the control and means to get a change but many of theses hands are just going through the motions thinking this is how it's supposed to be. Me personally, I'm fed up with a lot too. How am I gonna change that you ask, find a totally different industry to work in if this situation does not get any better! I can't keep going around in circles with these idiots in management and a bunch bright minded drivers, either crap or get off the pot and continue to spread them! Thats how I feel about the whole situation.

Long time reader, first time poster! Get organized!!! If they close the crap hole down just get the separation package and move and find another gig!

Good post .. Slo Mo , that about sums it up for most in the system . Up to there neck in debt and can't go anywhere so just put up with the abuse !

As far as I know, your pension was frozen at a specific amount when the company stopped contributions. The amount varies depending on how long you work. The earlier you retire or resign, the lower the amount. That's the only way I can see the payment varying. My 85 rule would be around 55. If I went out then my check would be much less than if I went out at at 65.

That's exactly right Joe.
The pension is frozen at $1300 (for me) so if I leave before my Rule 85 (55 age + 30 yrs, of service) then it will be substantially less.
Once I hit 55 I can start drawing my whopping $1300.
If I stay until I'm 62, 65, 70, etc... I will still only get $1300 per month.

The pension is frozen at $1300 (for me) so if I leave before my Rule 85 (55 age + 30 yrs, of service) then it will be substantially less.
You've got some time in then. Like when they started going from horse drawn to diesel power.

Which is why they are losing their best and most experienced drivers. Once you get what you are gonna get from them. You are free to move on.

There are plenty of companies out there that would value your contribution. And as the old timers leave they hire more burgers floppers for the driving school.

And then they yell at us for a poor safety record and so many accidents. Like we hired a bunch of guys that don't know how to drive.

I'm new here but not new to whats going on at Conway or at Fed Ex Freight. I read your post and have read most of the negative posters on here. To explain what happens when Conway forms a union at your particular barn, you will never fall into a exciting contract. If your facility chooses to form a union and votes in a contract it would be your own Conway contract. When you sign a authorization card all your doing is signing for a chance to see what the Teamsters could negotiate for you in a contract. When that contract is negotiated you as the Conway employee's have another vote, if you like what's in that contract then you vote yes if not then reject it and vote no. Just keep this in mind, it's your contract you will choose what's in that contract, you will get to vote on which of your co-workers will be at the negotiation table with the union negotiating your contract. It's real easy but the anti-union's here try to twist it and make it confusing for those that have no idea what the process is.

To all the negative (probably management) posters on here, why aren't you talking about the issues that concern these workers at Conway?
Lets start with: * Temporary work force that is stealing hours from long time employee's.
* Seniority violations- Changing a senior mans start time only to bring in a temp at that time. Seniority not being followed and violated on a daily basis.
* Unfair point system. Camera goes off on the road and triggers it and then at the end of the day your brought into the office to get talked to. How far back can they use points to walk you out?
* Favoritism- Those of you who are posting on here about not needing a union, your probably the ones sitting in the office going over the video feeds, or get a the cake runs and start times. Right? A contract will change that and that puts a damper in
in your program of laziness and abuse of company time.
* Purchased transportation- How many of these trucks for hire are stealing money out of your pockets, they move your freight and take your runs while you sit on your forklift and move freight or sit at home.
And this is just the tip of the ice burg. There's plenty of issues that are unique to each barn that need addressing.

I'm new here but not new to whats going on at Conway or at Fed Ex Freight. I read your post and have read most of the negative posters on here. To explain what happens when Conway forms a union at your particular barn, you will never fall into a exciting contract. If your facility chooses to form a union and votes in a contract it would be your own Conway contract. When you sign a authorization card all your doing is signing for a chance to see what the Teamsters could negotiate for you in a contract. When that contract is negotiated you as the Conway employee's have another vote, if you like what's in that contract then you vote yes if not then reject it and vote no. Just keep this in mind, it's your contract you will choose what's in that contract, you will get to vote on which of your co-workers will be at the negotiation table with the union negotiating your contract. It's real easy but the anti-union's here try to twist it and make it confusing for those that have no idea what the process is.

To all the negative (probably management) posters on here, why aren't you talking about the issues that concern these workers at Conway?
Lets start with: * Temporary work force that is stealing hours from long time employee's.
* Seniority violations- Changing a senior mans start time only to bring in a temp at that time. Seniority not being followed and violated on a daily basis.
* Unfair point system. Camera goes off on the road and triggers it and then at the end of the day your brought into the office to get talked to. How far back can they use points to walk you out?
* Favoritism- Those of you who are posting on here about not needing a union, your probably the ones sitting in the office going over the video feeds, or get a the cake runs and start times. Right? A contract will change that and that puts a damper in
in your program of laziness and abuse of company time.
* Purchased transportation- How many of these trucks for hire are stealing money out of your pockets, they move your freight and take your runs while you sit on your forklift and move freight or sit at home.
And this is just the tip of the ice burg. There's plenty of issues that are unique to each barn that need addressing.

What can the union do about dock workers work the dock and drivers work eight in the city and go home ?

What can the union do to protect drivers wages from the dock workers when it comes time for negotiations ? Doesn't the majority rule ?

What can the union do about purchase carriers ? Every union company uses them and/or rail.

What can the union do about a strict safety policy ? Doesn't the union support and condone safe driving ?

What can the union do about the camera in our face ? ( I know of union outfits in my area using them. )

What can the union do about the pension ? I hear many of my union customers say they have a 401K with a small match.

What can the union do about our health care ? I thought the ACA made plans of the past obsolete ?

I ain't management. I am a driver. A bunch of these dirt bags know me. This is not a game or a gimmick. What if anything can the union do about these issues ?

What can the union do about dock workers work the dock and drivers work eight in the city and go home ?

What can the union do to protect drivers wages from the dock workers when it comes time for negotiations ? Doesn't the majority rule ?

What can the union do about purchase carriers ? Every union company uses them and/or rail.

What can the union do about a strict safety policy ? Doesn't the union support and condone safe driving ?

What can the union do about the camera in our face ? ( I know of union outfits in my area using them. )

What can the union do about the pension ? I hear many of my union customers say they have a 401K with a small match.

What can the union do about our health care ? I thought the ACA made plans of the past obsolete ?

I ain't management. I am a driver. A bunch of these dirt bags know me. This is not a game or a gimmick. What if anything can the union do about these issues ?
With all due respect, i'm not here to blow smoke in your ass, i'm not here to promise you anything, i'm not here to attempt to negotiate a contract. But i will tell you this MOST of the issues you are concern with will be addressed in negotiations. Most of the issues that concern you will be cleaned up and worked out with a contract. I will go over your questions from my experience with union contracts, again i'm not saying or promising anything.. This is just my experience. I will answer your questions in the order you posted.

With a union contract seniority prevails in everything, classification ( city driver, line, dock). will come in next. So im a city guy and come in after my run they try to send me home and send a dock worker to do pickup's .. can't happen, thats a violation.

In most contracts drivers wages prevail over dock workers. Wages are negotiated with the company and voted by you and the rest of the Conway workers at the time of the contract ratification.

A contract can limit the use of purchase carriers to protect the hours and wages of full time drivers.

The union supports all company safety policies. If the company is overly strict on the enforcement of such policy it would be addressed in the progressive discipline language of the contract. Remember with a contract you will no longer be a "at will" employee.

Unfortunately camera's are going to be a way of life in the freight industry. It could be a good thing to some or a bad thing. But make no mistake with representation if you are disciplined for any offense you will have the protection of a contract and the Teamsters to back you up.

A pension can be negotiated into a contract if thats what the employee's at Conway want. It might not be negotiated on the first contract, because "most" first time contracts aren't very monumental but we can eventually negotiate a pension.

Most if not all union contracts have union backed health insurance. Most of those plans are actually cheaper for the company to purchase than what you have now. But again it is something that is negotiated in a contract. And like over at UPS Freight, i believe they pay 26.00 a week for a family.

With all due respect, i'm not here to blow smoke in your ass, i'm not here to promise you anything, i'm not here to attempt to negotiate a contract. But i will tell you this MOST of the issues you are concern with will be addressed in negotiations. Most of the issues that concern you will be cleaned up and worked out with a contract. I will go over your questions from my experience with union contracts, again i'm not saying or promising anything.. This is just my experience. I will answer your questions in the order you posted.

With a union contract seniority prevails in everything, classification ( city driver, line, dock). will come in next. So im a city guy and come in after my run they try to send me home and send a dock worker to do pickup's .. can't happen, thats a violation.

In most contracts drivers wages prevail over dock workers. Wages are negotiated with the company and voted by you and the rest of the Conway workers at the time of the contract ratification.

A contract can limit the use of purchase carriers to protect the hours and wages of full time drivers.

The union supports all company safety policies. If the company is overly strict on the enforcement of such policy it would be addressed in the progressive discipline language of the contract. Remember with a contract you will no longer be a "at will" employee.

Unfortunately camera's are going to be a way of life in the freight industry. It could be a good thing to some or a bad thing. But make no mistake with representation if you are disciplined for any offense you will have the protection of a contract and the Teamsters to back you up.

A pension can be negotiated into a contract if thats what the employee's at Conway want. It might not be negotiated on the first contract, because "most" first time contracts aren't very monumental but we can eventually negotiate a pension.

Most if not all union contracts have union backed health insurance. Most of those plans are actually cheaper for the company to purchase than what you have now. But again it is something that is negotiated in a contract. And like over at UPS Freight, i believe they pay 26.00 a week for a family.

Another question. We currently have a jacked up transfer policy. If you switch terminals you go to the bottom. I have several guys under me due to " lost " seniority. They keep wages and vacation time and all of that. But give up their spot on the board. A lot of these guys are saying that if we go union they will have their seniority restored. Is that true ? Will we be able to transfer ahead of the vote to another terminal and then be restored to full seniority on the board upon unionization ?

Another question. We currently have a jacked up transfer policy. If you switch terminals you go to the bottom. I have several guys under me due to " lost " seniority. They keep wages and vacation time and all of that. But give up their spot on the board. A lot of these guys are saying that if we go union they will have their seniority restored. Is that true ? Will we be able to transfer ahead of the vote to another terminal and then be restored to full seniority on the board upon unionization ?
I doubt it. But that's not a "jacked up" policy anyway. If you transfer voluntarily, you SHOULD go to the bottom. If you have to transfer because of something the company does (like shutting down a terminal) then you keep your seniority.

That's not true, most union barn don't have transfer policy, you'll have to quit and rehire at new barn! But your pension keeps adding at new barn, your membership stays the same.
Only transfer rule applied is if territories from one barn moves to another barn, then you transfer with the routes.

And again this is how most union freight contracts read. If a terminal closes down and that freight is moved to other locations the drivers and dock workers get to follow that freight in seniority order. They will dovetail into the gaining facility. If that worker chooses to transfer to a facility that is not going through a change of operations then that employee with end tail to the bottom of the seniority list, just like the guys at your barn.
Now in your case you said that those employee's that transferred to your barn are saying that they will gain their original hiring date, thats is completely false. They stay exactly where they are. They chose to transfer so they are stuck.
Something you have to understand when the union starts negotiating any new contract they will always start where you guys are now, We never negotiate down, that goes for wages, health care, seniority, vacations, sicks days anything you enjoy now will be there at the time we negotiate a contract.

I think outside interests should stop posting here. Let our people decide what they want to do.

I'm not an outsider brother I need some information before I vote yes.i have been working for conway before you took a management position.

I don't care how many of you vote in the union. Iowa is a right-to-work state, which means I get union representation without having to join the union.

Status
Not open for further replies.