FedEx Freight | Good Luck LOU

Seems to me the only relevance the Pilots issue brings, is the fact that FedEx will negotiate, and has been known to agree a contract, especially when it's with a service provider whose members are in relatively short supply.
FedEx negotiated with the pilots b/c they ARE in short supply, truck drivers are a dime a dozen!

FedEx negotiated with the pilots b/c they ARE in short supply, truck drivers are a dime a dozen!

Not quite down to a dime a dozen. Why are all carriers raising wages... Conway up $2.00/hr in my area, said to be because of the Nationwide Driver shortage.

I doubt that even Pilots are in that short of a supply. Now, if we want a certain QUALITY of Pilot, same as Drivers, then there is a shortage in the national market.

Either way, we can agree, FedEx will only pay more for drivers (or pilots) if they have to.

You guys are under the misguided impression that FedEx wants truck drivers. There is a short supply of forklift operators that also have a CDL. A majority of drivers in this industry have no desire to drive 200 miles and work the dock a couple of hours. In FedEx's world, they would have to work the dock for quite a while before turning a wheel on a semi truck. There aren't many willing to do that.

I see driving a truck as a calling. I wanted to drive a truck for as long as I can remember. I was the kid in the back seat of the station wagon, trying to get the truckers to honk the horn. I have several letters, I wrote to mom and dad from boarding school, with trucks drawn on the back. I never asked my parents to drive by a warehouse to see if I could get a forklift to honk his horn.

That's not to say that a forklift driver can't drive a truck. It's just not his or her first calling or they would have pursued a career driving a truck in the first place.

You guys are under the misguided impression that FedEx wants truck drivers. There is a short supply of forklift operators that also have a CDL. A majority of drivers in this industry have no desire to drive 200 miles and work the dock a couple of hours. In FedEx's world, they would have to work the dock for quite a while before turning a wheel on a semi truck. There aren't many willing to do that.

I see driving a truck as a calling. I wanted to drive a truck for as long as I can remember. I was the kid in the back seat of the station wagon, trying to get the truckers to honk the horn. I have several letters, I wrote to mom and dad from boarding school, with trucks drawn on the back. I never asked my parents to drive by a warehouse to see if I could get a forklift to honk his horn.

That's not to say that a forklift driver can't drive a truck. It's just not his or her first calling or they would have pursued a career driving a truck in the first place.
Here at UPSF in Harrisburg we can find drivers but can't get people willing to put in the time by the phone or go on sleeper. We have actually had guys complaining about not getting any work flat out refuse to get on a sleeper even to fill in for the normal driver. I think guys have no idea how ltl works any more.

Hell 200 miles is good! Lol Ask Memphis, Kansas city, or Atlanta how long some of their runs are 20, 30, 50 miles one way plus 6 to 8 hrs on the dock! Nobody going to hire on for that!

Not quite down to a dime a dozen. Why are all carriers raising wages... Conway up $2.00/hr in my area, said to be because of the Nationwide Driver shortage.

I doubt that even Pilots are in that short of a supply. Now, if we want a certain QUALITY of Pilot, same as Drivers, then there is a shortage in the national market.

Either way, we can agree, FedEx will only pay more for drivers (or pilots) if they have to.
Come on Swamp, we both know why Conway's pay is up and it has nothing to do with driver shortage.
FedEx will pay drivers or pilots whatever the market dictates. If you want to call that "having to", then I'll agree.

How does anyone take you seriously?
It's very easy........you on the other hand trying to make a big deal out of my "dropping the people's elbow" comment, I can see why you would make such a post.

Again, according to all the likes (from the old format), emails, txt, and phone calls that I receive on a daily basis, I'd say a lot of people do. The guys in Lou sure did!

Come on Swamp, we both know why Conway's pay is up and it has nothing to do with driver shortage.
FedEx will pay drivers or pilots whatever the market dictates. If you want to call that "having to", then I'll agree.
So swamp is saying driver shortage drove up Conways wages. Wow I guess the threat of the union had nothing to do with that. What caused YRC and ABF to take concessions to many drivers.

Hell 200 miles is good! Lol Ask Memphis, Kansas city, or Atlanta how long some of their runs are 20, 30, 50 miles one way plus 6 to 8 hrs on the dock! Nobody going to hire on for that!
Why not, it pays more than unemployment....and you get insurance, a 401K, and a pension to boot. Is it the best, no, but it's better than nothing at all.

That's an interesting take on it, I feel the same way. From my experience there are drivers who were meant to drive and those who drive because its a job. I'm not sure how to put it into words but I know what you mean.

So swamp is saying driver shortage drove up Conways wages. Wow I guess the threat of the union had nothing to do with that. What caused YRC and ABF to take concessions to many drivers.

Lol back to the same old argument. It has been posted on here a thousand times even with the consessions they still make more than us, have better insurance which they pay nothing for, and even though their pension is in trouble its still guaranteed and alot better than ours.

I wanted to drive a truck for as long as I can remember. I was the kid in the back seat of the station wagon, trying to get the truckers to honk the horn. I have several letters, I wrote to mom and dad from boarding school, with trucks drawn on the back. I never asked my parents to drive by a warehouse to see if I could get a forklift to honk his horn.

...nor did they ever make a tv series about a forklift driver with chimp named bear.

Lol back to the same old argument. It has been posted on here a thousand times even with the consessions they still make more than us, have better insurance which they pay nothing for, and even though their pension is in trouble its still guaranteed and alot better than ours.
What part of the country are you in here in the south they make less. Where is there pension guaranteed, if its in trouble where is the money going to come from, well tax payers and last time I checked this country was in no shape to bail out anyone.

What part of the country are you in here in the south they make less. Where is there pension guaranteed, if its in trouble where is the money going to come from, well tax payers and last time I checked this country was in no shape to bail out anyone.

Do you not undersatnd we have 3 different pay scales? Im in WV.