XPO | Just my thought on the end of Conway as we know it.

I don't want anyone to lose a job over the combination of the two companies.
I felt the same when yrc combined..... But I know others felt different.
There is alot behind the scenes even when one man with a family loses a job let alone hundreds at once like CF. It's hard enough keeping.... Or let's say going to a regular job let alone losing itba
Well said, come in here with respect and be treated with same. The opinions can be discussed without all the "I hope you all lose your jobs" crap.
I go onto any of the forums here with and give respect to all who are posting responsibly. Of course there is room for some jabbing but all in fun. As we can't be serious all the time. Hehehe.
After all... We all do the same thing... Just for different companies.

I have worked at many trucking companies, and never have I seen an atmosphere like that of conways.....it's like we are a brother hood. ...Atleast at my terminal it is.....i love my job.....And I love this company.....it's funny how the people who hated it are appreciative of the things that conway has to offer.....everyday I pray for a miracle to throw this deal out the window and keep this company the way that it is now and work towards a bigger and even better conway freight.
Good luck drivers....
Fred Daher
XWO Shrewsbury Massachusetts
Very nice to hear you say this Fred!

I started at "Conway Western Express" in Ventura Calif. in 1986. They were a new and upcoming company. I had been with "GI Trucking" for about a year. I learned to drive at GI on my lunch break which was about 2am. GI was not treating me all that well so I applied at "CWX". UVC was brand new, hadn't opened for business yet, I was hired the next day, I was 22 years old. UVC was just a small operation, maybe 12 doors or a few more. We only serviced three states back then, Calif, Nv. and Az. I loved my new job, my new company and my new friends. So here we are, 29 years later, and now I have to say "goodbye" to the name "Conway" and who know's what else, I, you, all of us, will have to say good bye to. I know that a lot of people here on the "Trucking Boards" have not had a positive experience working for Conway, but for me, I have loved working here, and hope that I will continue to love working here. It will be hard to except that "Conway" will no longer exist, as I have always known it. I am sure I can't be the only one who feels this way. I always wanted to be a truck driver, and in 1986, no other company would hire me, A young 22 year old man, 1 year of driving experience, but very eager to make a career out of trucking. "Conway" took a chance on me, and I am still here, I still love my job, and I hope the years I have left, will be great as well. I have been through the best and worst years with "Conway", I hope even better years await us all, no matter what it says on the side of our trucks. Have a great weekend, and always be safe!
I started as a "LIFER' twice in my Life. Once in the military and again with CCX. In the military, I have seen failed programs/ideas and successful programs/ideas. I have seen abuse for political gain. I have experienced victories for humanity, both American and Worldly. I have experienced similar situations with CCX/Conway, but on a more local level. The one common denominator at the foundation of both, IMHO, is the veterans. No matter what, they can improvise, overcome, and/or adapt because of their experience. They know how to work as a team, even though they didn't much like the person working next to them. They got the job done. They welcomed and promoted competence, integrity and pride. We worked as a team. We put more freight in a trailer, in less time, than they we do now. And, I might add, with less damage and without the brow-beating of management. IMHO, if we get hit with an influx of tonnage by this merger, it's the veterans that will get the job done. The "new guys" simply don't have the experience, desire or wherewithal. They will be lost with the occasional pat on the ass by a veteran to keep them moving. In any environment, one should always honor and respect the veterans. In the crash of 2008, Conway took the smallest hit among LTL carriers, Since then, after a stupid and costly move of trying to put YRC out of business, we regrouped and got back to business. But, unfortunately, new management decided to go with bean counters, LEAN, "space is waste", numbers. Have our TMs thinned out our freight load so they make their "numbers"? IMHO, I feel that meeting the "numbers" have hurt our company and made it ready for a buy out. The new management has sold out the drivers. Shifting under 1500rpm may have some fuel savings. But, it has slowed the company down on a National scale. When one slows down, one cannot accomplish one's daily tasks. Therefore, one must put off what one cannot do today until tomorrow. Studies show that reducing the speed limit to 55 didn't conserve energy. It simply slowed our nation down. In the military, I was taught, "There are no bad crews, only bad leaders". In the civilian world, I have found that; there are no bad leaders: only bad crews. I honestly feel that the "numbers folks" had honorable intentions. I honestly believe that the "software folks" had honorable intentions. Hey, Stoltar is worth about 14 million just on the stock he owns. IMHO middle management bastardized these initiatives as a CYA to promote their own, personal, professional progression within the company. Our "middle management leaders", ::shit:: on the drivers of this company. IMHO middle management has always been the weakest link of this company. This merger will trim the fat off the top. It's my hope that it will also trims the fat of "middle management" the simply occupies a chair and desk but does nothing for the company. History has shown that the foundation of any formidable force is it;s veterans. And, the strength of that force is it's leaders. Conway is at a stand still. It is a 5.5 billion dollar a year company. But, it cannot evolve. XPO is a 2.5 billion dollar a year 3PL company. Buying Conway is a natural evolution for them. So, right now, we are a 8 billion dollar company. They are projecting that we will become a 12 - 15 billion dollar company, #1 3PL AND #2 LTL. I'm good with that. One thing they should keep in mind though, it's the "veterans" that play a very big part in getting us there.

Do you think another company matters how SAFE you were?
They are not going to pay you what you are making, believe me. Been there done that.
you got the big one then cause i didnt return to starting pay if you can say i bring 30 years experience and no points and am not starting over or ill go elsewhere they will ask what you want at least thats how i did it if your worth it they will pay

you got the big one then cause i didnt return to starting pay if you can say i bring 30 years experience and no points and am not starting over or ill go elsewhere they will ask what you want at least thats how i did it if your worth it they will pay
Punctuation please. Can hardly understand what you are trying to convey to others.
Not trying to be a smart arse either.

According to news releases. The whole of Con-way will be combined with an unknown subsidiary of XPO and rebranded XPO Logistics. Not sure if we are being added to something like Pacer or something like JB Robinson. But we will find out soon enough.
maybe mr. Jacobs will rebrand us something like the way fed ex brands their company. FED EX and underneath in smaller print they put the division of what's being hauled: i.e. ground. express, freight, home delivery, custom critical, etc. maybe our equipment logo would read in large caps -XPO LOGISTICS and underneath in lower case -freight division- and under that - a former CF company. even though CF is dead yet the ripple of it's impact is still being felt throughout the transportation industry today. on second thought ...nah... he wouldn't do that, would he?

I think you're pissed off because your union sold you down the river and a huge percentage of Conway drivers, when given the chance to unionize rejected the idea. Maybe after this buyout is done and XPO is in da house, and we're kicking the crap out of the union company, you should consider coming to work for us.
I love it , beautiful!

they are now looking for road and city drivers everywhere, must be a reason for that!
and maybe one reason is cause they will have their own TL and LTL divisions 'in house' and be able to leverage more business that will be taken from the competition. hence, they are ahead of the curve anticipating the need for more drivers.

and maybe one reason is cause they will have their own TL and LTL divisions 'in house' and be able to leverage more business that will be taken from the competition. hence, they are ahead of the curve anticipating the need for more drivers.
that is, more additional drivers and not replacement of con-way drivers.

I am one of the union guys.
I don't feel like I got screwed.
I don't talk smack here either way like you just did.
To each his own.
We have plenty of frt to move.
And will have when your deal is done.
There is no deal yet.
All that is said on here is speculation.
No one knows what will happen.
But.... It's good to think positive.
And I wish you the best.
Seriously.
thanks driver for your support and best wishes coming from a union guy. I too was a teamster back in the 80's w/ st.johnsbury trucking and when they went out in 1993, (partly cause our local wouldn't allow us to take a pay cut to help save the company), I was gonna get a job in another industry but that project failed to flesh out. so out of unemployment benefits I had to turn back to trucking and saw that a new outfit was coming to the area named CCX .i wanted a fresh start and to get in on the ground floor of this company. so i went and applied way back in1994 , got hired and 21 and a half years later am # 3 in our barn. so ya, you gotta do what ya gotta do to make ends meet. I just hope and pray that if XPO closes the deal w/ us that they will give us as good and prosperous a life that Conway has all these years. how's that for thinking positive?

As a 27 year retired CCX/Conway employee,I wish all current employees the best of luck under the new ownership. The current fiasco has run its course. Nows the time to get back to the job of moving freight and taking care of the customers in a safe and efficient manner. In return hopefully XPO will realize the value they have with the very dedicated employees at Conway and reward them accordingly.
thanks for your years of service driver and hope that u are enjoying your golden years w/ good health and much deserved rest. also you're right, I too hope that if xpo closes the deal w/ us that they will appreciate us as the top notch, hard working, and committed drivers that we are and take good care of us accordingly.

That he will need more drivers don't bother any one. What has people concerned is that he is paying $18 an hour. That doesn't sound like more of us, it sounds like a cheaper alternative to us.

Glad you snapped me back to reality, was gettin' all misty eyed with the hug fest.
As far as compensation - healthcare cost is rising ( still ) faster than the pay raises. I hope XPO looks at this from an overall point of view , instead of how the CFO ( Mr. Pierson ) of YRCW looks at things “If we operate in a largely non-unionized industry, we need to be able to pay in a mainly non-unionized fashion,” says Pierson. “If we’re above the market by 15% we’re not going to be competitive. We are now paying what the market will bear, and we all need to divorce ourselves from the mindset that that 15% is going to come back.”

If there's a driver shortage , then the pressure should be pushing compensation up , instead of someone telling us to forget about money ever coming back.